IGNORED

Sister Wives: 5 Threads, 5 Adults...Or Are There?

I think they did say that they had more people than expected, which if true is pretty rude on the part of the people who brought uninvited guests, and not something I can blame the Browns for. 

That happened to a couple in our church. They had moved to the area and weren't aware that most weddings in that southern fundie culture don't involve sit-down, plated receptions and that it's normal for guests to invite others. The poor bride was freaking out because they only had enough food to feed their invited guests, and not the multitude of extras who showed up. 

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random thoughts on the wedding episode:

-Christine, Tony is NOT a good dancer. What he did to Mykelti on the dancefloor just looked... violent.

-Why did Kody start his speech when people were still lining up for the buffet in the background? (Maybe there really were far more guests than they had expected, so there was a constant rush on the tacos?)

-I was impressed with Tony's vows for exactly one second. Starting off with a Latin reference but ending the sentence with "okay?" :pb_lol:

-One of the adults mentioned that in their circle, kids are usually not allowed to attend weddings. Is that a (fundamentalist) Mormon thing? I've never hear of that, so yay, I actually learnt something new in that episode :my_biggrin:

I’ve never even heard of open house at weddings, or other reception for other big events. People are invited, sometimes with a “plus one”, with an RSVP date. 

Or - the sami people often have open house for big events, incl weddings, but they serve a traditional stew, and count in that most of the community will drop by, and many of the guests bring cakes.

1 minute ago, DillyDally said:

-One of the adults mentioned that in their circle, kids are usually not allowed to attend weddings. Is that a (fundamentalist) Mormon thing? I've never hear of that, so yay, I actually learnt something new in that episode :my_biggrin:

I assume that's referring to the sealing ceremony, which is sacred and private to them. It's the same thing with the LDS; only a few adults with temple recommends will be able to attend the actual sealing, but then they'll have a big reception for everyone else (and apparently it has also become common to have a "ring ceremony" that basically mimics a traditional wedding without the part where they're legally joined). I don't know if the reception part is common with polygamists, but it seems like that's how they did Kody and Robyn's wedding.

During the TH Kody was talking about feeling sorry for polyg guys on their wedding day, trying to not make other wives jealous, not paying enough attention to Robyn so her comment after the reception was that it was great but she missed Kody.  Why if you have done this a second, third wedding thing, would you want for those you love to continue with more wives, where the participants are so unhappy?  Oh, hot, young Robin. Duh.   And if it’s true, why the fuck would you say it?   

I don't blame the Brown parents for running out of food.  I really don't think it's fair to make them pay to feed all these people that Tony and Mykelti invited without ever getting a final number.  I think they went with a few thousand tacos.  That's a ton of tacos - how many people were there?!

I feel like the parents were doing their best to make the couple chose better decisions without alienating them.  I don't know what else they could do.

1 hour ago, Natalie22 said:

I don't blame the Brown parents for running out of food.  I really don't think it's fair to make them pay to feed all these people that Tony and Mykelti invited without ever getting a final number.  I think they went with a few thousand tacos.  That's a ton of tacos - how many people were there?!

I feel like the parents were doing their best to make the couple chose better decisions without alienating them.  I don't know what else they could do.

It didn’t look like there were even 400 people (their planned number of guests) at the wedding. Not even close. 

I just watched the wedding episode, what a mess.  My daughter watched with me and we were surprised at the tiny dancing tent, the running out of food, and also that it didn't look as nice as Janelle's daughter's wedding. We are speculating that TLC maybe gave them less for this wedding, since the show is supposedly being cancelled. (?)

Also Tony's dancing :jawdrop:

I tried to watch but the whole thing made me really tense. In the talking heads they kept gushing about the wedding and how special it was. I just feel like they were lying lying lying. Trying to make that cluster of a wedding sound like something special. 

@Berta McGee I agree, with Mykelti saying over and over again how much she enjoyed the wedding and got what she wanted, I feel like that's not actually the truth. She might have realized they should not have done it outdoors and maybe invite less people, but who likes to actually admit they were wrong/should have listened to their parents/didn't enjoy their wedding day as much as they had hoped?

The only part that I personally felt looks like fun was the dancing/goofing off at the end of the episode. Been to too many weddings where you're just standing around and kind of feel "compelled" to start dancing to show that you are having the time of your life. I wished people had danced more at my own wedding, but then not everybody likes to dance (including my husband)  :my_rolleyes:

I swear on all that is sacred and holy that if my child's beloved said people would just be showing up, I would be requiring a ticket at the door to get in .....  OR  ......  I would not be paying for it.

That may be THEIR culture..... but MY culture is paying for it so I need a head count.

On 2/13/2018 at 2:38 PM, DillyDally said:

One of the adults mentioned that in their circle, kids are usually not allowed to attend weddings.

Oddly enough, I have even been to funerals where the grandkids were not present... 

On the Joel McHale Show (which is basically "The Soup" -- so happy it's back!) they played the clip of Christine singing at Mykelti's wedding. Poor Christine. :pb_lol:

Does anyone remember the shooting at TLC?  It happened way back just before Sister Wives first aired.  Apparently an employee was so weirded out about the way programming was going he just lost it.  I know it happened but news of it seems to be scrubbed from Internet .

It was horrible and the beginning of the whole shooting crap.  It happened just before the "going postal" tragedy .

hope I didn't stir up nightmares for anyone.

20 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Is anyone watching? Caleb just told that he had a pulmonary embolism. 

Oh.my.cow.

Bless their souls. So glad they have family to go to. 

The song from Mykelti’s wedding at the end...”It’s a Beautiful Day” Does anyone know who does this, I can’t find it on youtube.

Thanks in advance.

23 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Sorry @2manyKidzzz, but I wasn't paying attention to it.

Was it the one by Jamie Grace? Michael Buble?

Didn’t sound like it to me. But what else was there I ask myself. 

Honestly, idk. Truly my attention span was shot to heck by the end.

Fyi ... the replay just started in case you want to set your DVR.

In case I'm not asleep by then ... was it the very last song of the reception? Where Kody is thrashing about?

7 hours ago, StepMonsterInLA said:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38957020/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/police-kill-discovery-building-gunman/

I found this similar story from 2010, but it was in Discovery, which owns TLC.  

He was an environmentalist protester.  

Thanks stepmonsterinLA!  I wouldn't want to start an untruth!  

3 hours ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Is anyone watching? Caleb just told that he had a pulmonary embolism. 

Oh.my.cow.

Caleb is young and this is very treatable. I really wish him well.

He seems like a nice man and with a new baby too.

3 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Apologies to you, @2manyKidzzz.

The replay of Sister Wives is NOT the wedding. (It's the new one with Mariah.)

So sorry. 

Yes, I saw the one with Mariah and the march in D.C.

And yes, the last song at the wedding where Kody is thrashing around. 

They are so accepting of Mariah....and yet I still can’t get my mind around all four of those women sleeping with Kody. I mean, I don’t care, but I don’t see how they can do it. But I like them and the kids seem happy. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived