IGNORED

Lori Alexander 17: Pooping on Someone Else's Lawn

21 minutes ago, crawfishgirl said:

I have a difficult time believing that an upper-income woman only has these few clothes as shown in that FB picture.  Even if she is not a fashionista, does she not have shorts and short sleeve shirts / tank tops to walk on the nearby beach?  Jeans or casual pants for a quick shopping trip?  Gardening or exercise clothes?  I am a middle-income SAHM who is definitely just into shorts and t-shirts, but even I have many more items than that that I have accumulated over the years.  I suspect that Lori is stretching the truth, or that her neighbor forgot to tell her about the items that she folds into drawers instead of hangs in the closet (not that she has to tell Lori anything, but if they are close enough that she gives Lori pictures of her closet...).  

Shorts aren't normally hung up in a closet. Maybe her activewear is folded up in one of the baskets? I keep all of my running stuff in a basket by the door so I have fewer excuses to not run. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

Shorts aren't normally hung up in a closet. Maybe her activewear is folded up in one of the baskets? I keep all of my running stuff in a basket by the door so I have fewer excuses to not run. 

Lori stated that the picture contained all of her neighbor's clothes, which I have a hard time buying, though you may be right about the basket containing additional items.

1 hour ago, crawfishgirl said:

I have a difficult time believing that an upper-income woman only has these few clothes as shown in that FB picture.  Even if she is not a fashionista, does she not have shorts and short sleeve shirts / tank tops to walk on the nearby beach?  Jeans or casual pants for a quick shopping trip?  Gardening or exercise clothes?  I am a middle-income SAHM who is definitely just into shorts and t-shirts, but even I have many more items than that that I have accumulated over the years.  I suspect that Lori is stretching the truth, or that her neighbor forgot to tell her about the items that she folds into drawers instead of hangs in the closet (not that she has to tell Lori anything, but if they are close enough that she gives Lori pictures of her closet...).  

I just did my spring cleaning and got rid of everything I don't wear anymore, and my closet looks like that (only without the two dozen plain black whatevers that she has on the left side) with my blouses, wraps, dresses, etc. I keep shorts, tanks, tees and jeans in my dressers. So it's possible her pic is real and she has other stuff in her dresser/s. But I don't see any bottoms (pants, skirts, etc.). Where are they? Am I just not seeing them?

Can't see pics (because I'm not on FB), but it sounds like the chat room people are doing the no clothes buying challenge type that minimalist and frugal bloggers have been touting for years. As for Lori's question about women needing 20 pairs of shoes or 10 purses and etc, I don't think any non-fashionista actually strives to have those things; they're often gifted or happen because of circumstance. I have been cleaning out my closet recently and I noticed a good majority of my "excesses" were not things I purchased for my own pleasure, but due to life stage and events that couldn't have necessarily been avoided. For example, almost every wedding I have participated in has required a brand-new bridesmaid dress and shoes. It's not like I could have reworn an old bridesmaid dress or borrowed one from someone else (maybe I could have if anyone had the same colors but alas they didn't). Wedding shoes had a little more leeway and I rewore one pair, but the color, height, and style were all dictated by the individual bride. So short of telling my good friends that I would not be a bridesmaid at their weddings, I had to buy new dresses and shoes every time. I have also been gifted shoes and purses from generous friends over the years, and I definitely have a dedicated portion of my wardrobe (clothes, shoes, accessories) that is reserved for work only. Since I work in elementary education, many of those items need to be replaced every few years from wear and tear (I imagine people with office jobs do not get as many holes and tears in their shoes/clothing). While I understand the concepts of minimalism and moderation/frugality that many of those bloggers espouse, I also realize that many if them do not hold traditional jobs outside the home (because they blog full-time), or like Lori they are/were SAHM who didn't need an additional work wardrobe. This isn't to say that I condone buying a ton of extra stuff, but rather that it's not necessarily as black and white she makes it out to be.

I believe that most people have some material things in their lives that others would call frivolous. Many of us splurge in some areas and save in others. It gets too easy for us to look at others and say "Oh I would NEVER buy that," when others could say the same thing about some of our things. 

For instance, I admit to having a pretty big wardrobe (many pieces from Walmart, others a little more expensive) but I have never had a manicure or pedicure. I don't have any designer handbags (Payless has fantastic purses, you guys!!) but I do have a particular jewelry brand that sucks me in every now and then. We don't spend a lot on electronics or go to movies, but I admit we buy some splurge-type groceries now that the kids are gone.  We keep our cars for ten or twelve years but take a nice trip every two or three years.  

I know that some cannot splurge on ANYTHING and some can splurge on EVERYTHING so I am just being frank with my own weaknesses when it comes to budgeting. 

Lori needs to be very careful when she talks about all the frivolous things other women buy when we can easily put on our own judgy eyes and take a close look at her lifestyle  

I hope my point is coming across okay. I guess I should have just typed "Lori needs to stop balancing everyone else's checkbooks." 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived