IGNORED

Quiver Full of BUTTS: Dr. Chuck Tingle Thread!

Georgiana

HELLO ALL YOU BUCKAROOS AND LADY BUCKS!

SO glad you came here to the Quiver Full of BUTTS to learn about the world's greatest author: Dr. Chuck Tingle!

Are you new to Chuck?  Hold tight, bud, because you are in for a REAL TREAT!

Chuck's twitter: https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle

Reading of the Hugo Nominated "Space Raptor Butt Invasion": 

More background:

PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT THE MAN WITH NO EYES AND WEINERS FOR HAIR IF YOU THINK OF HIM YOU WILL BE BANNED THANK YOU 

(Kidding, I can't ban anyone.  But that was a real post from Chuck, so let's not think of him.  Choose a good way.)

TED COBBLER IS A DEVILMAN WHO BELONGS IN A SNAKE PIT!

I won't think of the man with no eyes and weiners for hair, except to say if he's wearing an Octavia Butler t-shirt, he can't be all bad.

I liked his son's discussion about editing his dad's works and differentiation between including text that "laughs with" from the "laughs at" writings.  And some topicality, Trump and the Russian T-Rex!  The son sounds very mature and empathetic with the ups and downs and delusions that come as part of the schizophrenia package.  Sounds like Chuck has a good support network.

That said, I read a good deal of science fiction and often check out what's been nominated for the Hugo award.  It was surprising that one of the butt-pounder series made it onto the list, no disrespect to Dr. Tingle. 

And I won't think of raptor rods, I won't, I won't!  :lair4:

I never heard of this guy before today,  but i just ordered copies of his Guide to Romance for two of my friends who are getting married this summer. Because seriously, how could you not?

Was he the guy also featured on @ Midnight? And Chris Hardwick wanted him to write a sexy book about being pounded in the butt by the show? I'd read that. Chris Hardwick nom nom nom.

I have no idea who the reader or the author is, but that cracked me up.

On 3/20/2017 at 8:12 PM, CTRLZero said:

That said, I read a good deal of science fiction and often check out what's been nominated for the Hugo award.  It was surprising that one of the butt-pounder series made it onto the list, no disrespect to Dr. Tingle.

Sadly, the story of how SRBI made it onto the Hugo list is rather sordid, and not because of anything Tingle wrote

While the Nebulas are voted on by authors, the Hugos are a fan award, nominated and voted on by anyone who is a member of the World Science Fiction Society.  Anyone can join this for about $40/year.  Anyone can nominate any story for an award, and except for the "biggies" such as best novel the number of people actually nominating is in the low dozens.

A few years back, a group of disaffected fans grew upset over the trend in modern SF/Fantasy towards diversity and non-Western viewpoints- they much preferred that SF get back to the good old days of heroic guys blasting aliens and saving the galaxy.  This group organized themselves as the"Sad Puppies" and nominated a slate of works for all the awards.  Since they were organized and bloc voted, they figured they could have far greater influence on the awards than they might have otherwise.  They managed to get a number of stories on the 2014 ballot and won a bunch of them, including one written by a guy named Vox Dei.  (Yes, that's what he changed his name to)

2015 is when things really blew up in that the Sad Puppies nominated a slate, but then Vox Dei organized yet another group, the Rabid Puppies, to push this even farther.  Vox is a true scumbag- racist, sexist, etc.  He's the only author ever kicked out of the SF Writers guild, and is probably best known for calling Hugo-award winning author N. K. Jemisin a "ignorant half-savage".  He has his own publishing house (Castellan) with a few other ultra-right wing authors like John C. Wright since nobody else will deal with him.

The Rabid Puppies went out of their way to shit all over the awards, and were quite successful.  In some cases they managed to get themselves nominated multiple times (Wright got 3 of the 5 nominations for Best Novella) and in other cases they went ahead and and got things like SRBI and "SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police" on the ballot.

There were quite a few "No awards" given out that year.  Putting Tingle on the ballot has backfired though, since he fully understands just how absurd it was for SRBI to be there and has happily played along with the joke, needling Dei by doing things like saying he would not accept the award in person but would have Anita Sarkeesian accept it instead.  And, of course, he managed to write possibly the greatest book in SF history

51MgIAdnpLL.jpg

On 3/21/2017 at 6:17 AM, Mela99 said:

Was he the guy also featured on @ Midnight? And Chris Hardwick wanted him to write a sexy book about being pounded in the butt by the show? I'd read that. Chris Hardwick nom nom nom.

Yep!  Jorbo Leebs, the handsome sentient manifestation of an online poll, was true beauty.  

Here's a motto from Chuck.  Let us all remember to do BUTTSTUFF every day!

2017-03-22 09_56_38-Chuck Tingle on Twitter_ _Becoming Unrestrained Through Trusting Support That Un.png

REMINDER:

• 2 weeks later...

Learning about Chuck Tingle is probably the best thing that will happen to me all month...  I know it's early in April but I've got a good feeling about it.  I'm having a dinosaur-themed party next month (yes, for me.  yes, I'm an adult.) and some dramatic readings of his dino-themed books will probably now have to happen.  That video just convinced me even more.

14 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Learning about Chuck Tingle is probably the best thing that will happen to me all month...  I know it's early in April but I've got a good feeling about it.  I'm having a dinosaur-themed party next month (yes, for me.  yes, I'm an adult.) and some dramatic readings of his dino-themed books will probably now have to happen.  That video just convinced me even more.

Off to check this out too.  Just wanted to wave from one guinea to another! @GuineaPigCourtship

16 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I demand videos/pics of this epic party.

Archived