IGNORED

Growing a garden on your balcony

Pretzel

To all you people with green thumbs and fingers, 

on a medium to large balcony with approximately 100-160 square feet (10-15 m²) and with most space used for seating and relaxing, what and how would you plant on that balcony? What herbs are worth it, what veg will survive? What not to do for a balcony garden?

What direction does the balcony face?  Sun exposure and your region's average rain will be big factors  

If it were me, I'd focus on tomatoes and basil because I use them a lot. And maybe some onions and/or garlic.  Then add a few other things like peppers. 

I'd think that vertical plants (or something easy to get on a small trellis) would work best since you plan to have furniture too. That would rule out things like squash and cucumbers. 

Depending on how often you can water,  I'd go for the biggest containers you can manage. My experience has been, the smaller the pot, the faster it dries out. Mr CL built me a vertical herb planter a few years back, but we gave up after 2 seasons because if we didn't water it twice a day, everything in it died. But some of my bigger flower urns can go 3 or 4 days on one watering. 

I hope you'll share your progress later!!

(Given our climate and wildlife) we've had decent luck with homemade versions of Earthboxes. This is the expensive version https://earthbox.com/, but we made our own with regular plastic totes like this http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultimate-Vegtable-quotEarthBoxquot-For-CHEAP/. You could also try the hanging tomato planters or a vertical planter. 

We've grown tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini and cucumbers. Our best success was the tomatoes, I don't know if I would try the zucchini again (it just didn't have enough room), and the cauliflower had some type of infestation.

Archived