IGNORED

California waiter demanded proof of residency from 4 Latina women

47of74

A California waiter demanded proof of residency from four women visiting the restaurant he worked at...

washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/03/19/a-california-waiter-refused-to-serve-4-latina-women-until-he-saw-proof-of-residency/?tid=ss_fb

It was girls’ day out, and Diana Carrillo had abandoned her desire to eat healthy well before she, her sister and two friends got to the Southern California restaurant. The destination: Saint Marc, an upscale spot in the seaside city of Huntington Beach, where Carrillo had been once before.

But the mood soured quickly after the waiter appeared. Before he could serve the four Latina women, he said, they needed to show proof of residency. “I need to make sure you’re from here,” he said.

Flummoxed, the four women handed over their IDs. But as what was happening sank in, they fumed. “I looked at my sister and [my friend], and I said, did he really just say that?”

A few moments later, they walked over to the manager and told him what had happened. He offered them a separate section and his business card to make things right — but they had already decided to leave.

The waiter got his ass fired for this dumb fuckery. 

The restaurant is getting some tender loving care from Yelp.

What the hell does the waiter think their residency has to do with anything?  That's not his job, plus California is a huge tourist state with people who aren't residents traveling in all the time.

My guess for this is he was hoping to get fired and to collect unemployment.  Or he's a Trump-supporter and wants to be seen as a hero among racists.

He will not be eligible for UI for being fired for a genuine reason.  UI is for when one loses their job thru no fault of their own.  This was a policy violation, no doubt.

Yeah more likely he's a big time Trump supporter who will now be playing the official GOP victim card any day now.

GOP Victim Card.png

What an asshole, I work for KFC and I couldn't care less where my customers are from. I love it when people from all over the world come in to my work. I've never cared if they are here legally or not, none of my business. I care more about customers not trashing the place.

1.) If your job is not to enforce immigration laws, then your job is not to enforce immigration laws. The last thing we need is random people becoming immigration vigilantes.

2.) What the hell does their residency even have to do with anything? They're trying to get restaurant food, not a job or a mortgage. Surely not all the restaurant's clientele would be local regardless? People go on vacations and business trips all the time, etc. etc.

What racist garbage. :(

On 3/19/2017 at 5:55 PM, MarblesMom said:

He will not be eligible for UI for being fired for a genuine reason.  UI is for when one loses their job thru no fault of their own.  This was a policy violation, no doubt.

Right, but not everyone knows that.  A friend of mine spent a week in December claiming her car was broken as an excuse to not go in until she was fired.  Her stupid plan was to get unemployment and time off for Christmas until starting school again in January.  Guess who didn't get unemployment!  That's right.  Because she was fired for cause. She still bitches about it saying what if her car really was broken down, but that's not the employer's fault.  (And she got kicked of school because she couldn't consistently line up child care, and she's calling it unfair that the school is holding her not being there because of childcare against her.)

There are a lot of people out there who think getting fired for any reason or even quitting because you don't like your boss entitles you to benefits, and a lot of people who think their personal beliefs and life situations should always be accommodated.  They're often not the brightest bulbs on the shelf.

7 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

Right, but not everyone knows that.  A friend of mine spent a week in December claiming her car was broken as an excuse to not go in until she was fired.  Her stupid plan was to get unemployment and time off for Christmas until starting school again in January.  Guess who didn't get unemployment!  That's right.  Because she was fired for cause. She still bitches about it saying what if her car really was broken down, but that's not the employer's fault.  (And she got kicked of school because she couldn't consistently line up child care, and she's calling it unfair that the school is holding her not being there because of childcare against her.)

There are a lot of people out there who think getting fired for any reason or even quitting because you don't like your boss entitles you to benefits, and a lot of people who think their personal beliefs and life situations should always be accommodated.  They're often not the brightest bulbs on the shelf.

Yes, it's not up to your work or school to organise transport or childcare. I don't drive and have to get 2 or 3 buses in and out of college and two buses to work on Sunday's because the direct bus from my hometown to work doesn't run on Sunday's or public holidays I just leave the house earlier.

Not the idiot's job. He way overstepped his boundaries. What a jerk. I'm glad the guy was fired and I'm glad the manager tried to rectify the situation.

12 hours ago, Jug Band Baby said:

A former coworker of mine was fired for being caught sleeping during an overnight shift. He attempted to claim unemployment benefits by stating that he had never been told that he was not allowed to sleep on the job. :pb_lol: We actually do have a documentation trail that this issue had been addressed with him in the past, but he was apparently advised by a lawyer that this would be a way to collect, even though it sounds completely ridiculous that anyone would be unaware that you don't get paid to sleep when you're supposed to be supervising children.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

A former coworker of mine was fired for being caught sleeping during an overnight shift.

Oh, boy.  The HR memories coming flooding back!

We once fired someone for sleeping on the job (outlined as a no-no in the handbook) .... when confronted, the employee said "Well, I wasn't laying down!"

....like that mattered....

I've only been on unemployment once - I got fired and they claimed it was for cause but had no evidence to back up their claim (long story short is that what they claimed to be firing me for was actually just a cover story for what they were actually firing me for, since the real reason was illegal). It was really stressful! You have to keep track of all applications and interviews, submit weekly reports telling them all the information about each potential employer, plus the worry of having to explain why you're out of work and whether or not you'll be able to get a job before the benefits run out. And I'm pretty sure (in my state at least) the caseworkers call randomly to make sure you're legitimately applying for the jobs you say you are. I'd rather have a job!

Archived