IGNORED

Chad and Erin Paine: Goats and Other Things that Spit

choralcrusader8613

8 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I am sometimes a bit astonished about how Erin's condition is treated here. I am getting tested for a similar/ the same condition right now. Of course several miscarriages are traumatic. And Carson's birth was probably too. But with the right medical treatment she is up to many more healthy pregnancies. There is no immediate danger anymore. (Well, if you believe the horror stories about the American health care system then yes. But then- I would run. But I live in a country where this condition would be properly treated all the way without me paying a cent.)

They might use Nfp or her body just takes it time. She got pregnant very fast but as she gets older this might go down.  I think they will end up with at least six children.

I think some people are overreacting slightly due to being a bit misinformed. The complications with Carson's birth were due to placental abruption - I don't know if Erin was at higher risk due to her clotting disorder or not, but a placental abruption can happen to any expectant mother (I think the American Pregnancy Association states that it affects 1% of pregnant women.) 

Carson's birth was ridiculously fast and unexpected due to the abruption - I think he arrived only an hour after they got to the hospital. I want to say there was a higher risk of excessive bleeding, possibly because of her clotting disorder or possibly because of the abruption (I've never been clear on that.) That said, Erin was in a hospital when she gave birth and that was likely the safest option for her due to the close proximity to emergency help if it had been needed. It seems like they had a much better handle on Brooklyn's birth though since they chose to induce (because of the complications with Carson) and Erin was thankfully able to get her epidural at the very least.

I agree with you. I think there's likely not as much reason to worry as people think as long as the Paines proceed with caution, continue to play it safe with hospital births, and they continue working with Dr. Vick (who another poster said very good things about - I think their family or friends were patients of his.) I still don't know if it would be advisable for them to have a ton of children, but that's a decision they'll reach with each other and (hopefully) with Dr. Vick. I just hope Erin contonyes to enjoy good health and any future children are born safely and healthy.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I think some people are overreacting slightly due to being a bit misinformed. The complications with Carson's birth were due to placental abruption - I don't know if Erin was at higher risk due to her clotting disorder or not, but a placental abruption can happen to any expectant mother (I think the American Pregnancy Association states that it affects 1% of pregnant women.) 

Carson's birth was ridiculously fast and unexpected due to the abruption - I think he arrived only an hour after they got to the hospital. I want to say there was a higher risk of excessive bleeding, possibly because of her clotting disorder or possibly because of the abruption (I've never been clear on that.) That said, Erin was in a hospital when she gave birth and that was likely the safest option for her due to the close proximity to emergency help if it had been needed. It seems like they had a much better handle on Brooklyn's birth though since they chose to induce (because of the complications with Carson) and Erin was thankfully able to get her epidural at the very least.

I agree with you. I think there's likely not as much reason to worry as people think as long as the Paines proceed with caution, continue to play it safe with hospital births, and they continue working with Dr. Vick (who another poster said very good things about - I think their family or friends were patients of his.) I still don't know if it would be advisable for them to have a ton of children, but that's a decision they'll reach with each other and (hopefully) with Dr. Vick. I just hope Erin contonyes to enjoy good health and any future children are born safely and healthy.

Placental abruption does happen. Even in the healthiest of pregnancies with real pre-natal care, things happen. The risk with her is that she was taking Lovenox shots to take care of the clotting condition, which is an anticoagulant/blood thinner. Being on a blood thinner and having the placental abruption makes her much more likely to hemorrhage very quickly and lose A LOT of blood since the medication is encouraging her body not to clot and stop bleeding on its own. That is why she is "high risk," not from the disorder she has itself.  

I hope that Erin continues to be happy and healthy in her pregnancies and if she doesn't have anymore, then with that too. I think the worry from people here comes from the issues that surrounded Carson's birth. I'm glad that Brooklyn's was easier and I hope that it continues to be that way for an subsequent pregnancies. 

My husband and his three sisters have the same disorder and only one of his sisters was badly affected by it. She has a very hard time keeping and mantaining pregnancies. With her first after they broke her water she had a major abruption and they rushed her into Emergency c section where they claim they had 2 minutes to get the baby out before she died. She felt the cut before they knocked her out. With her other 2 since they knew about the possibility of abruption they just dd very frequent ultrasounds. The condition can be life threatening but if you have adequate prenatal care it can be controlled well. 

However back to back pregnancies for the rest of your fertile life is not healthy for any woman, not just for people with her clotting disorder. 

My understanding is that you are supposed to stop blood thinners about 48h before getting induced/a c-section. Of course this is not going to help if you go into labour naturally and then something goes wrong.

I know I personally was originally under the impression that Erin's condition was more like Jen Fulwiler's, which is (apparently?) very serious. I say 'apparently' because she's come close to death more than once, but I'm not entirely sure how much that can be attributed to the condition itself vs. her mismanagement of it (she made light of the fact that she'd miss doses of her medication, put off going to the doctor while pregnant even though she was experiencing serious and alarming symptoms, etc.)

On 8/14/2017 at 10:07 AM, just_ordinary said:

My understanding is that you are supposed to stop blood thinners about 48h before getting induced/a c-section. Of course this is not going to help if you go into labour naturally and then something goes wrong.

Erin had stopped blood thinners before both deliveries. Brooklyn was to be induced at 37 weeks, but came naturally a couple days before her appointed day. I only know this because I asked her, thinking it was her planned induction. I believe they stopped the thinners a week or more ahead of time; I know it was more than just 48 hours. 

On 8/13/2017 at 7:54 PM, crazysnark said:

My husband and his three sisters have the same disorder and only one of his sisters was badly affected by it. She has a very hard time keeping and mantaining pregnancies. With her first after they broke her water she had a major abruption and they rushed her into Emergency c section where they claim they had 2 minutes to get the baby out before she died. She felt the cut before they knocked her out. With her other 2 since they knew about the possibility of abruption they just dd very frequent ultrasounds. The condition can be life threatening but if you have adequate prenatal care it can be controlled well. 

However back to back pregnancies for the rest of your fertile life is not healthy for any woman, not just for people with her clotting disorder. 

Are you saying your husband and his three sisters all have APS? I'm just curious because from what I've been told and read it is an autoimmune disorder and isn't generally inherited(but it can be, just isn't the norm). So I would just find it interesting that all four of them have it. So far I'm the only one in my family to have tested positive for it. 

16 hours ago, marmalade said:

Erin had stopped blood thinners before both deliveries. Brooklyn was to be induced at 37 weeks, but came naturally a couple days before her appointed day. I only know this because I asked her, thinking it was her planned induction. I believe they stopped the thinners a week or more ahead of time; I know it was more than just 48 hours. 

Usually they switch you to heparin for the last few weeks and then you would stop that 48 hours prior to induction. 

31 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

Are you saying your husband and his three sisters all have APS?

Not sure I would trust that particular poster's word.

Just saying.

Is it time to repeat the ax murderer story?  It might be or to hang a dead parrot.

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

It might be or to hang a dead parrot.

Most definitely an axe murderer reminder.

However, dead parrots are not hung.  They are nailed to their perches!  Dammit!

:penguin-no:

ax murderer.jpg

Point taken on the parrots although I did have one dangling from the top of the cage.

Spoiler

parrot nailed.jpg

2 hours ago, JesSky03 said:

Are you saying your husband and his three sisters all have APS? I'm just curious because from what I've been told and read it is an autoimmune disorder and isn't generally inherited(but it can be, just isn't the norm). So I would just find it interesting that all four of them have it. So far I'm the only one in my family to have tested positive for it. 

Yep all 4 have it. Apparently they have this gene mutation that contributes to it called 4G/4G or something weird like that. I will leave a link below that explains it far better than I can! 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10909993 

Also since you have the disorder I did not want you to read the horror story and get totally freaked out. That was a very rare situation and she or her doctors did not know she had the condition which is why the emergency happened. I just did not want you scared if you were currently pregnant.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Not sure I would trust that particular poster's word.

Just saying.

I'm sorry I did not know expressing a different view point was equivalent to lying. 

On 8/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, anaandrade said:

I thought Carson's birthday was May 14th. Am I wrong?

On 8/7/2017 at 7:40 PM, VelociRapture said:

Carson is May 14, 2015. Brooklyn is August 6, 2016. 

@candygirl200413 was right, Carson was born on May 15, not May 14. http://people.com/tv/bringing-up-bates-erin-paine-welcomes-first-child/

5 hours ago, Bethella said:

His birthdate is listed as the 14th everywhere else other than that article. Including on the Bates' website:

IMG_3341.thumb.PNG.056a11027f397d3c3150d78b9a2c2664.PNG

I'm going to guess that People messed up.

ETA: Erin also posted a congrats on being 2 post on May 14 of this year. So yeah. People was wrong. :pb_lol:

9 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

People was wrong. :pb_lol:

I guess that's what I get for trusting the damn internet.

What's the dead parrot thing?  I'm aware of the hilarious ax murderer thing (how often does one get to talk about ax murderers and use the word hilarious in the same sentence?)

This comes close:  

14 minutes ago, Flossie said:

What's the dead parrot thing?

A Monty Python reference.  FJ's version of beating a dead horse.

On 7/27/2017 at 1:10 PM, lumpentheologie said:

This is so interesting to me. I teach the Bible (parts of Old and New Testaments) in a great books class at a secular college, and I encourage my students to mark up all their texts to help with reading comprehension and having things to say in class. There's a particular study bible they're required to use. Many of my students are Jewish and it never occurred to me that they might have a problem with it. 

We also teach the Qur'an and I know it was a problem for Muslim students to mark the text when we used to use a version that was in Arabic as well as English. But now that we have an English-only version that seems to have been resolved -- I've been told it's only the Arabic text that's considered a holy object.  

Oh yes. I'm a very secular Jew but my years in Hebrew School as a child were very clear, you did not write the word G-d.  (You put that dash in there) and you did not do anything to mark up a text.  

I need to talk about this for a sec. Today was the North American Eclipse and Tennessee was in the path of totality. I know it is unlikely that the kiddos would look directly at the sun, but they should have had eye protection in case they do. Idaho, my homestate was also in the path of totality. It was amazing. While it was eclipseing (sp?), my dad and I kicked it old school and made a pinhole viewer by stabbing a hole in a piece of paper and projecting it on to another piece of paper.

It was great learning experience. NASA livestreamed the whole thing.

20915404_1213557825416760_4497458323235567863_n.jpg

Those look like replacement lenses for welding masks - which is exactly what I used for my class today - though I cut a hole in a big piece of cardstock and duct taped the lens there to increase the area that was blocked. Worked like a champ!!!

I read about the whole use phone and I'm still in awe that people thought it was a good idea as a replacement. Even though I had to call so many stores I was able to get the glasses and it was totally worth it but my friend made the pinhole box too and it was super cool since I didn't realize you looked backwards into it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived