IGNORED

Hypocrisy, Thy Name Is Republican

47of74

I thought we could just put all the stories like this in one thread. 

First we have this guy in Wisconsin;

wkow.com/story/34934307/2017/03/Thursday/former-rock-county-gop-official-faces-sex-crime-charges

A former Rock County Republican Party official is stripped of his political position, as he faces five, felony sex crime charges.

53-year-old Wade Hallett of Janesville is in the Rock County jail, with his bail set at $50,000.

During last year's presidential campaign, Hallett was one of the faces of Rock County Republican politics.  As the county party's election committee chair, he played a key role in connection with then-candidate Donald Trump's visit to Janesville Mar. 28.

But court records state Hallett's private life during that campaign season included the sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl over a period of months.  Records state a relative discovered what was happening last month, and notified Rock County Sheriff's deputies.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7

Already shared on another thread but another personal favorite, the whole "hate thy gays but love the pedophilia" from Oklahoma cause people suck so so much:

Oklahoma legislators are calling on a member of the state Senate to resign after he was charged with engaging in child prostitution.

State Sen. Ralph Shortey (R) turned himself in to police in Moore, Okla., on Thursday after the Cleveland County district attorney filed three felony charges against the lawmaker. The charges include engaging in child prostitution, engaging in prostitution close to a church and transporting a minor for prostitution.

The charges come a week after Moore police found Shortey and a teenage boy at a Super 8 Motel. Police said they smelled marijuana, and an affidavit filed in court described text messages between the teenager and Shortey in which they discussed exchanging money for sexual favors.

The teenager told police he and Shortey, 35, had met a year ago through a Craigslist advertisement.

The state Senate on Wednesday suspended Shortey from his legislative duties, stripping him of committee assignments and scrubbing his name from pending legislation. The vote passed unanimously. 

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin (R) on Friday said Shortey should resign his seat.

“The charges against him do not reflect the character and decorum that we expect of an elected official. It is not acceptable,” Fallin said in a statement emailed to The Hill. “In the meantime, there’s a criminal justice system in place to review the allegations. We should respect the process and allow it to work as designed.”

Shortey was first elected to the state Senate in 2010. He has not made any public statements since turning himself in on Thursday.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/324528-ok-state-senator-charged-with-child-prostitution

• Upvote 9

"The Texas AG sued to keep a Bible quote in school. Now he’s troubled by Muslim prayers."

Every day at lunch, a handful of teenagers in Frisco, Tex., would pop into room C112, face a whiteboard and kneel for one of their five daily prayers.

It was just a spare classroom, used for everything from teachers’ grading to Buddhist meditation, school officials say. But Muslims at Liberty High seemed to like it.

“Takes like five minutes, instead of having to leave school, get in a car and go to my parents,” junior Sarah Qureshi told the school news site early this month.

“This is the seventh year we’ve been doing this, and we’ve never had one issue,” school principal Scott Warstler said.

Last week, however, top state officials learned about the room — and suddenly Liberty High had a big issue indeed.

The Texas attorney general’s office — famous for once suing a middle school principal to keep a Bible quote on a door — sent the Frisco school district superintendent a letter Friday raising “concerns.”

“It appears that the prayer room is ‘dedicated to the religious needs of some students,’” a deputy attorney general wrote in the letter, quoting an article written by an 11th grade student, “namely, those who practice Islam.”

In a news release the same day, the attorney general’s office went further: “Recent news reports have indicated that the high school’s prayer room is … apparently excluding students of other faiths,” the release said.

That would be a constitutional violation, the Texas AG’s office noted.

It's kind of ironic that the school's name is Liberty.

• Upvote 11

Are accommodations made for students of other faiths?

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

The article didn't indicate, but I doubt it.

• Upvote 3

Then, I agree. This is a constitutional violation. It does not matter what religion is being accommodated. But, I get an anti-Islam vibe from the article.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Actually yes.  I read a different article that said the room was used by multiple people for a variety of reasons (students of other faiths use it, teachers use it to grade papers, etc.)

• Upvote 8

@GreyhoundFan The article itself says that amongst the uses of the room is Buddhist meditation. It sounds as though it is a communal space used for both secular and religious purposes.

• Upvote 5

Hey, there IS voter fraud. This Repub knows it, because he seems to have committed it himself: "Ex-Colo. GOP leader said only Democrats committed voter fraud. Now he’s charged with voter fraud."

The 2016 election was just a month away when Steve Curtis, a conservative radio host and former Colorado Republican Party chairman, devoted an entire episode of his morning talk show to the heated topic of voter fraud.

“It seems to me,” Curtis said in the 42-minute segment, “that virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats.”

On Tuesday, Colorado prosecutors threw a wrench into that already dubious theory, accusing Curtis of voter fraud for allegedly filling out and mailing in his ex-wife’s 2016 ballot for president, Denver’s Fox affiliate reported.

Curtis, 57, was charged in Weld County District Court with one count of misdemeanor voter fraud and one count of forgery, a Class 5 felony, according to local media.

The case is the only voter fraud investigation related to the 2016 election that has resulted in criminal charges in the state, the Colorado secretary of state’s office told Denver’s ABC affiliate.

Curtis has not entered a plea. If convicted, he could face more than a year of prison time and a $5,000 fine. His attorney, Christopher Gregory, declined to comment on the case when reached by The Washington Post Tuesday night.

• Upvote 13

16 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Hillary made him do it.

With Obama's help.  And the whole thing was funded by George Soros. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Childless said:

With Obama's help.  And the whole thing was funded by George Soros. 

As a Liberal I don't do anything without clearing it with Soros first.

• Upvote 8

This is a good one.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-supporter-my-husband-is-being-deported-friday-193439132.html

As a popular Indiana restaurant owner faces deportation under President Trump’s immigration directives, his family becomes the latest in a series of Trump supporters to find campaign promises affecting their lives.

According to a report from Indiana Public Radio, Roberto Beristain’s family said he’s expected to be deported on Friday and has already been moved from the detention facility in Wisconsin where they had been visiting him. Beristain is the owner of Eddie’s Steak Shed in Granger, Ind., which he purchased from his sister-in-law earlier this month after eight years of working at the restaurant.

“We were for Mr. Trump,” said Beristain’s wife, Helen, in an interview with WSBT-TV. “We were very happy he became the president. Whatever he says, he is right. But, like he said, the good people have a chance to become citizens of the United States.”

“I understand when you’re a criminal and you do bad things, you shouldn’t be in the country. But when you’re a good citizen and you support and you help and you pay taxes and you give jobs to people, you should be able to stay.”

In other words, illegal immigrants need to be deported but not me because I work hard and support Trump. While I completely disagree with Trump's immigration policies, I do rub my hands with glee when one of his supporters gets caught in his net. Many of those who are here illegally, live quiet lives, work very hard, and pay taxes. Most of the illegals are a lot like many of our ancestors here- they came here looking for a better life and are willing to work hard to achieve it. 

• Upvote 11

• 5 weeks later...

Another one...

occupydemocrats.com/2017/04/22/trump-campaign-chair-just-got-arrested-child-sex-trafficking/

Tim Nolan, a local Republican political figure and the former chair of the Trump campaign for Campbell County, Kentucky, has been arrested and charged with “felony human trafficking of a minor, felony inducing a minor to engage in sex, and a third count of giving alcohol to a minor,” according to an indictment filed in Boone County, KY earlier this week.

According to the The River City News, who obtained the indictment on Friday, Kentucky Attorney General Andy Beshear has charged Nolan with “human trafficking (a class B felony), first degree unlawful transaction with a minor (a class C felony), and third degree unlawful transaction with a minor (a class A misdemeanor).”  All of the alleged felonies were committed in 2016, while he was chair of the Campbell County arm of the Trump campaign.

He’s also no stranger to controversy.  As a supporter of Donald Trump during the Republican primary, he took-on the senior senator from Kentucky, Mitch McConnell, over control of the state’s Republican delegation.

During the campaign, Nolan also received a generous appointment to the state’s Boxing and Wrestling Commission. Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin (R) was forced to rescind the appointment, however, over a controversial photo that was posted to his own Facebook page that showed Nolan in a KKK-inspired outfit.  Nolan insisted at the time that the photo was doctored.

• Upvote 7

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the former Kentucky Agent Orange Campaign Chair...

rawstory.com/2017/05/former-trump-kentucky-campaign-chair-faces-100-years-in-prison-for-sex-trafficking/

Tea Party leader and former Trump campaign chair Tim Nolan was arraigned on charges of rape, human trafficking of a minor, human trafficking of five adults, witness tampering and prostitution.

There were nine alleged victims covered in the 11-count indictment, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The grand jury asked for $750,000 bond when it indicted Nolan, following his testimony.

“I’m curious what they heard in the grand jury,” Lape said. “It’s kind of an extraordinary bond. The reality is, we don’t see bonds like that this side of the river,” said Kenton County Circuit Court Judge Kathleen Lape, referring to the Ohio River which separates Northern Kentucky from Cincinnati.

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many examples: "The Republican Hypocrisy Hall of Fame"

Spoiler

We certainly don’t want leading Republicans to tumble into hypocrisy, so let’s refresh their memories.

Patriots like Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan have eloquently warned of the importance of ferreting out the truth and holding politicians accountable, including for leaking classified information. Thank God for their insistence on truth-seeking!

As McConnell warned, for example: “The president did not value the sacred oath. He was interested in saving his hide, not truth and justice. I submit to my colleagues that if we have no truth and we have no justice, then we have no nation of laws. No public official, no president, no man or no woman is important enough to sacrifice the founding principles of our legal system.”

Such passion for justice and accountability (expressed in 1999, during the impeachment trial of Bill Clinton) inspires us all. And at this historic moment when timid or myopic politicians balk at congressional oversight and resist an independent commission to investigate President Trump and possible collusion with the Kremlin, it behooves us to cherish the wisdom of such honest souls.

They’re busy, but no problem! I’ve helpfully dug out their brilliant insights:

“Extreme carelessness with classified material … is still totally disqualifying.”

— Donald Trump, July 11, 2016

“It’s simple: Individuals who are ‘extremely careless’ w/ classified info should be denied further access to it.”

— House Speaker Paul Ryan, tweet, July 7, 2016

“The security clearance of any officer or employee of the federal government who has exercised extreme carelessness in the handling of classified information shall be revoked.” — Senate Bill 3135, co-sponsored last year (to shame Hillary Clinton) by 16 Republican senators: Cory Gardner, John Cornyn, Shelley Moore Capito, Tim Scott, James Risch, Pat Roberts, Dean Heller, Kelly Ayotte, John Barrasso, David Perdue, Johnny Isakson, Thom Tillis, John Thune, David Vitter, Mike Rounds and James Inhofe

“Those who mishandled classified info have had their sec clearances revoked, lost their jobs, faced fines, & even been sent to prison.”

— Reince Priebus, tweet, July 6, 2016

“What do I say to the tens of thousands of people that live and work in my district who work for the federal government, including more than 47,000 Marines? What do I say [to them] when saying something that isn’t true and handling classified information in an extremely careless way has no criminal ramifications?”

— Representative Darrell Issa, July 12, 2016

“In my opinion, quite frankly, it’s treason.”

— Representative Michael McCaul, Nov. 3, 2016, on Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server

“Presidents are not ordinary citizens. They are extraordinary, in that they are vested with so much more authority and power than the rest of us. We have a right; indeed, we have an obligation, to hold them strictly accountable to the rule of law. … It is self-evident to us all, I hope, that we cannot overlook, dismiss or diminish the obstruction of justice by the very person we charge with taking care that the laws are faithfully executed.”

— Senator John McCain, Feb. 12, 1999, in voting to convict President Clinton in his impeachment trial

“By his words and deeds, he had done great harm to the notions of honesty and integrity that form the underpinnings of this great republic. … If we do not sustain the moral and legal foundation on which our system of government and our prosperity is based, both will surely and steadily diminish.”

— Gov. Sam Brownback of Kansas, Feb. 12, 1999, as a senator

“The true tragedy in this case is the collapse of the president’s moral authority. … There was no better reason than that for the resignation of this president.”

— Senator Charles Grassley, Feb. 12, 1999

“Our freedom is assured by the rule of law. … Even the most powerful among us must be subject to those laws. Tampering with the truth-seeking functions of the law undermines our justice system and the foundations on which our freedoms lie.”

— Senator Mike Crapo, Feb. 12, 1999

Such Ciceros! At a time when so many Americans have a narrow, partisan vision, I am grateful that we are blessed with patriots of such vision.

In all seriousness, let’s adhere to the spirit of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who as a senator during the 1999 Clinton trial declared:

“The chief law officer of the land, whose oath of office calls on him to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution, crossed the line and failed to defend and protect the law and, in fact, attacked the law. … Under our Constitution, such acts are high crimes, and equal justice requires that he forfeit his office. … It is crucial to our system of justice that we demand the truth.”

I guess they'd all say this is "fake news".

• Upvote 5

I am not a Kathy Griffin fan and I have not seen the video in question, but it does sound inappropriate. I agree, however, that the reich-wing is being more than a little hypocritical in their outrage: "The right is mad over Kathy Griffin’s gruesome Trump video. The left asks: Remember Ted Nugent?"

Spoiler

At a time of strong partisan divide, when one side messes up, the other pounces like a bird of prey.

That happened after comedian Kathy Griffin, who supported Hillary Clinton, posted a 12-second video of her holding what appeared to be President Trump's bloody, severed head. It immediately drew ire from conservatives, as well as some liberals. By Wednesday, CNN had dropped the comedian from its annual New Year's Eve program, which Griffin has co-hosted with Anderson Cooper since 2007.

As the backlash against Griffin continues, many on social media have pointed out what they see as a double standard.

A few times within the past several years, a well-known conservative activist got in hot water over hateful comments about former president Barack Obama. In those instances, though, there was no image of a bloody head; just Ted Nugent's pointed words, some of which prompted a Secret Service investigation. Trump would later host the hard rocker at the White House — a recent memory that many on Twitter brought up in the aftermath of Griffin's controversial post.

Their cumulative sentiment: Both spewed hatred. Griffin was punished for it. Nugent became a White House guest.

... <good tweets in response>

Nugent, a gun rights activist, is known for his heated remarks about Obama that stretch back to at least 2007, when the former president was competing against Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination. Nugent went on a rant onstage during a concert and said vile things about both Obama and Clinton, using expletives to refer to both.

Five years later, Nugent made an impassioned plea for support for then-Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney during a National Rifle Association Conference in St. Louis. At that time, Obama was running for reelection.

“We need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off in November,” he said of the Obama administration in April 2012. He added: “If Barack Obama becomes the next president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year.”

Nugent said he was simply trying to excite voters. But the Secret Service nevertheless asked to talk to him so he could explain his comments. A Secret Service spokesman confirmed the investigation at that time but declined to give details.

Two years later, during a hunting and outdoor trade show in Las Vegas in 2014, he called Obama a “communist-raised, communist-educated, communist-nurtured subhuman mongrel” and a “gangster” who weaseled his way into the presidency.

Nugent apologized for using the term “subhuman mongrel” during an interview with conservative radio host Ben Ferguson a month later. Ferguson then asked whether Nugent was directly apologizing to Obama, to which he replied, “Yes.”

But the controversial remarks didn't stop there.

In a lengthy Facebook post last year, Nugent said Obama and Clinton should be tried for treason and hanged over their handling of the terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya.

Despite his history of making inflammatory statements, Nugent, along with former Alaska governor Sarah Palin and musician Kid Rock, became Trump's dinner guests at the White House in April. Trump had invited Palin, who brought Nugent and Kid Rock with her. Nugent posted a picture of him shaking Trump's hand as the president sat at his desk during the visit.

• Upvote 4

@GreyhoundFan exactly! Was it tasteless? absolutely. But the laundry list was of conservatives who had racist photos of President Obama/Michelle even Sasha and Malia no one ever apologized or anything and that what kills me.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

@GreyhoundFan exactly! Was it tasteless? absolutely. But the laundry list was of conservatives who had racist photos of President Obama/Michelle even Sasha and Malia no one ever apologized or anything and that what kills me.

So much yes, it is entirely APPALLING. I know someone who insists that Michelle Obama said, "White people are what's wrong in this country." She said no such thing, according to Snopes. I was aghast. The monkey jokes. Hell, my little (at the time) 6 yr old cousin said that Obama was white, so how could he be President over white people? It was her dad speaking through her lips. All I could say was that Obama was both black AND white, so he was gonna be president for everybody.

Ugh, racism is crap. I am so grateful that I left my majority white elementary school (where I was bullied). I went to middle school in a predominately black area of town. It was a perfect learning experience. I take school pictures at my old high school sometimes. And it reminds me that I made an excellent choice, just to see the acceptance and friendships of people of all different colors. It's the way it's supposed to be. TBH I think it's something MLK Jr. would be proud of. The rest of my state is super white and I can see the differences in attitudes. Hence why I love my old HS. 

• Upvote 5

To put things in perspective:

Now, I'm not saying that there is nothing wrong with Barron seeing that atrocious pic. But he can have a good cry about it, then have it explained to him that it's a fake. He might have a nightmare or two. But he will eventually come to terms with it and get on with his entitled and privileged life.

That cannot be said for the kids in Flint, the kids in Syria, or the millions of kids who will be adversly affected by that appalling AHCA. These children's very lives are at stake, but hey, they don't belong to the exclusive DOH club, so who cares?

• Upvote 6

Oops, posted something here that belongs in the Russian connection thread. Better head over there if you want to see it. :pb_lol:

Edited by fraurosena
wrong thread...
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Now, I'm not saying that there is nothing wrong with Barron seeing that atrocious pic. But he can have a good cry about it, then have it explained to him that it's a fake. He might have a nightmare or two. But he will eventually come to terms with it and get on with his entitled and privileged life.

I think it is likely bad parenting. If I were his parent, I would not let him discover it through social media or the news. I would either try to keep it from him or sit down and talk to him about it. It is possible he discovered it while he was at school or a friend's house, but how much access should a ten year old have to media these days? You can't totally shelter children, but a ten year old really does not need to be seeing something like this.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Ali said:

I think it is likely bad parenting. If I were his parent, I would not let him discover it through social media or the news. I would either try to keep it from him or sit down and talk to him about it. It is possible he discovered it while he was at school or a friend's house, but how much access should a ten year old have to media these days? You can't totally shelter children, but a ten year old really does not need to be seeing something like this.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if he hasn't seen the pic/video at all. You simply can't believe what this administration says, just because they say it. On the contrary...

• Upvote 5

Considering all that is going on in the news, I would think that Melania would shield Barron from the news in general.  I also can't see him going to friends houses, I would think friends would come to him. 

Also, when is he out of school?  I would think they would be moving soon to the White House

• Upvote 4

Be fair now, watching the news is the only way little Barron gets to see his dad these days. 

• Upvote 6