IGNORED

BRADRICK! Divorce Part 2

Destiny

Convicted.  Everyone is always convicted of something in "the Word".  I always have a mental picture of fundies running about in prison stripes

I hate it (with the hate of a 1000 burning suns) when they use "convicted "to mean that they were convinced by something and now they hold a conviction. For example -- a person is convinced that the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" applies to the death penalty so his/her conviction is that the death penalty is wrong because it is killing (murder).

Reading fundies using that word is like nails on a blackboard, totally sets my teeth on edge and makes my hair stand up.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't we have a "fundie-speak" thread on here somewhere?

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Don't we have a "fundie-speak" thread on here somewhere?

Oooo! Christianese!  So many good videos on YouTube on this topic...

7 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

hate it (with the hate of a 1000 burning suns

I'm going to work this phrase into my life somehow, probably when talking about Cheeto. 

7 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Convicted.  Everyone is always convicted of something in "the Word".  I always have a mental picture of fundies running about in prison stripes

I hate it (with the hate of a 1000 burning suns) when they use "convicted "to mean that they were convinced by something and now they hold a conviction. For example -- a person is convinced that the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" applies to the death penalty so his/her conviction is that the death penalty is wrong because it is killing (murder).

Reading fundies using that word is like nails on a blackboard, totally sets my teeth on edge and makes my hair stand up.

I first heard the word "convicted" used that way back in the '70s. Our YWCA rented space to an independent Baptist church. I heard a woman asking another person whether so-and-so were "convicted" of some religious thing. It struck me as ignorant-sounding, un-idiomatic jargon that would sound ridiculous to most people. (I'm in Connecticut.) These folks would regularly "correct" the spelling of the term "womyn" on our signs and posters, until our management confronted them about the vandalism. We finally voided their rental agreement when one of them, having lost his key to a room they used, took the door off its hinges, damaging it.

Fast-forward a generation: They've built up a big-enough congregation that they have their own building, which includes a private school. Oh, and they're young-earth creationists.

On 4/20/2017 at 4:03 PM, hoipolloi said:

Nor does Rebekah Pearl Anast's "marriage" to Gabe Anast qualify since New Mexico doesn't recognize them either.

I have been under the delusion that Rebekah Pearl and Gabe Anast lived in Arizona.  I have no idea why I thought that.

The only Pearl offspring that appears to have married with the blessing of the sodomite state is son Nathan, per his wife, Zephyr.

I loved that in the comments there someone suggested she bought some Plexus - presumably to calm her down.

Didn't Gabriel Pearl divorce?  Why would that be necessary if he wasn't legally married in the first place?

@hoipolloi  said, Nor does Rebekah Pearl Anast's "marriage" to Gabe Anast qualify since New Mexico doesn't recognize them either.

They live in western New Mexico, somewhere "near" Gallup.  In 2006 they were sued (jointly) by the Navajo Nation and the Zuni Indian Tribe for (as far as I can tell) using too much well water from the Zuni River basin.   Document here.  There was a default judgement against them; they didn't answer the summons to a water adjudication hearing.  

Gabe owned a used book store in Gallup at the time he met Rebekah.  Rebekah's goodreads bio is here.   It's interesting to me that "In the fall of 1992 she returned to the United States for a boring three years of college, which finally paid off in a BA in Linguistics and Ethnology" but doesn't bother to list the name of the college she attended.

They have at least six kids, maybe more by now.  For awhile, and maybe currently, Gabe Anast quit working and began studying the Bible because he thought that is what God wanted him to do.  I'm wondering if the sale of her YA fiction books is what keeps the family afloat financially.  As I'm noodling around looking up info on them, it's apparent that Rebekah may have been instrumental in helping to put together "Created to be His Helpmeet"; maybe she gets royalties? 

Based on Zephyr's FB, I wonder if numerous Pearl off spring are spruiking Plexus now.  

2 hours ago, Howl said:

They have at least six kids, maybe more by now.  For awhile, and maybe currently, Gabe Anast quit working and began studying the Bible because he thought that is what God wanted him to do.

@Howl, I used to follow Gabe Anast and Rebekah on the now (thanks be to the FSM) defunct 7X Sunday.  The insanity on that site and Gabe Anast's survivalist site had to be seen to be believed.  Living off the grid is one thing - what Rebekah has had to put up with is another.

The background is important, and if you can find either site and more info about Anast (and Rebekah) on the wayback machine I would be profoundly grateful. Sometimes I think I dreamed the nuttiness and I totally lack google-fu.

Rebekah spent time as a 'missionary" in Papua New Guinea before she went to that un-named college.  And she did contribute to the Pearls' older publications.  

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Didn't Gabriel Pearl divorce?  Why would that be necessary if he wasn't legally married in the first place?

Whatever happened with Gabriel & Lori resulted in her leaving. There has never been any public acknowledgement of their de facto divorce except that she & the kids were erased from the Pearl family bio page at least a couple of years ago. They seem to be in some kind of joint custody arrangement wherein the kids go back & forth to each parent. He seems to live in HI while she may be in OH, where her family is/was. 

Daddy Mike controlled what his daughters did, which meant no legal marriages for them, but I'd wondered if his sons were forced to do the same. Obviously, Nathan went his own way and involved the sodomite state of TX -- or maybe his FIL-to-be decreed that there would be a legal marriage + license, or no wedding?

Re: the Anast crazy. It was wide, deep, and awful there on the 7XSunday website.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

They have at least six kids, maybe more by now

The Anasts had at least one more kid after #6 -- IIRC that child was due about the time they closed up the online cray cray shop. Who knows by now how many there are? The older ones are teenagers already.

Re: Rebekah's college degree. Think it was from some bible college in OK, AR, or TX but will need to muster up some google fu to find it. She & her parents used to brag about her having gotten a BA in various NGJ PR materials.

ETA: Forgot that a  a (former?) FJ member had quite an informative blog series on the Pearls & Anasts.

@hoipolloi, many thanks.  That fills in many of the details on Gabriel and Lori.  Typical Pearl MO too,

27 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Re: the Anast crazy. It was wide, deep, and awful there on the 7XSunday website.

It really was.  Thanks for confirmation that I didn't dream it.  It was the most judgmental, vicious, anti-ebil gubment, and anti-woman forum ever.  Gabe is certifiable and his followers were truly frightening.

If I ever come face to face with the infamous "Denim 'n Lace," I swear I will forget all my nonviolent values and punch that vile excuse for a woman right on the nose.

46 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

@Howl, I used to follow Gabe Anast and Rebekah on the now (thanks be to the FSM) defunct 7X Sunday.  The insanity on that site and Gabe Anast's survivalist site had to be seen to be believed.  Living off the grid is one thing - what Rebekah has had to put up with is another.

The background is important, and if you can find either site and more info about Anast (and Rebekah) on the wayback machine I would be profoundly grateful. Sometimes I think I dreamed the nuttiness and I totally lack google-fu.

Rebekah spent time as a 'missionary" in Papua New Guinea before she went to that un-named college.  And she did contribute to the Pearls' older publications.  

Oh my, I totally forgot about 7x Sunday, probably on purpose.  If I am remembering correctly they were living in a very primitive fashion, no electricity, the children never seeing a doctor, and eating food scraps. I had to stop reading it because I feared for the children, my anxiety shot through the roof. 

34 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

That fills in many of the details on Gabriel and Lori.  Typical Pearl MO too

Well, here's another detail -- looks like Gabe Pearl has remarried.

3 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

And Shoshanna and Debi are fan-girling like mad over her - and Plexus.

I wish Elizabeth good fortune.  She will need it.

So much for the sanctity and longevity of Pearl "covenant," or otherwise, marriages.  

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I wish Elizabeth good fortune.  She will need it.

Yes, she will need all the good fortune she can get, not to mention supportive family & friends.

This tends to support that poster's comment.

46 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Hmmm....I just looked at her Facebook page, and I know some of her friends.  They help Amish leave the Amish life. I wonder if she is former Amish.

I can't remember why I looked all of this up before; I'm sure it was on some Pearl-related thread.  I've never seen Gabe Anast's survival site and have never used Way Back Machine; perhaps now is the time.  Can't remember too much from 7xSunday. 

Rebekah Anast's current web site is http://birthrightmedia.com/

The contact form on the web site doesn't work.  There is no reference to Christianity -- not much of anything, really.  But here's something weird from the Goodreads entry for her YA fiction book, Holy Cow

by Rebekah Joy Anast (Goodreads Author), Gabriel J. Anast (Creator)

Not having any success with WayBack Machine.  I found dreaming-awake.com but no content. 

2 hours ago, jojo said:

Hmmm....I just looked at her Facebook page, and I know some of her friends.  They help Amish leave the Amish life. I wonder if she is former Amish.

Definitely (ex) Amish.  Her brother, Moses, lists his schooling as "Amish School".

This is getting a little weird as Moses lists his home town is "Pleasant Home, OH" and her sister's current residence is "West Salem, OH".  I know this area well -- my Mother's family is from the area and I don't live all that far away.

8 hours ago, Howl said:

I've never seen Gabe Anast's survival site and have never used Way Back Machine; perhaps now is the time.  Can't remember too much from 7xSunday. 

<snipped for space>

Thanks.  Gabe's other site was called (something like) "urbanexodus."  

Gabe's new job was going to be "publishing" probably just Rebekah's books.  I think someone found the address of a storefront.  I'll have to look too.

10 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Yes, she will need all the good fortune she can get, not to mention supportive family & friends.

This tends to support that poster's comment.

That is dreadful.  

I can't remember why I looked all of this up before; I'm sure it was on some Pearl-related thread.  I've never seen Gabe Anast's survival site and have never used Way Back Machine; perhaps now is the time.  Can't remember too much from 7xSunday. 

Her current web site is http://birthrightmedia.com/

The contact form on the web site doesn't work.  There is no reference to Christianity -- not much of anything, really.  But here's something weird from the Goodreads entry for her YA fiction book, Holy Cow

Not having any success with WayBack Machine.  I found dreaming-awake.com  but no content. 

I also came across a forum for homebirthing that was either Rebekah's forum or she posted there frequently. I was stunned at the number of women posting there who were first-time moms wanting a home birth, who had never witnessed a birth and who were considering an unassisted (no midwife or doula) home birth. 

The only urbanexodus that I came up with is a hipster back-to-the land site, urbanexodus.com   Well, it's not hipster.  I'm not sure what it is.  Anyway, the first couple I clicked on had lived in my city (Austin, TX), done the obligatory gig in NY, and had been GIVEN a family farm in Santa Fe, TX. I'd just seen pictures of Santa Fe, TX flooding last week.  Their farm is a 20 minute drive from Galveston and their main complaints about "living in the country" were

• no good coffee
  • no good coffee
  • no good coffee
  • no good coffee shop nearby
  • no good restaurant

Being close to a city, other small towns and cities and the massively sprawling Houston metroplex means that if they need to get a job, they can.  

Mind blowing that they did not, even once, mention the brutal heat and humidity. This is lowland, coastal Texas. It also means you can farm year round and don't get me started on the mosquitoes.  My step daughter lived in Klute, TX (about a 40 minute drive to Santa Fe, TX).  The annual town festival in little Klute is the Great Texas Mosquito Festival at the end of July.  I guess they chose that weekend to celebrate for when it REALLY gets hot in Aug - Sept. 

Speaking of festivals and cutting loose, Scottie and his ilk are holding  Repentance: The Reformation Continues Conference in Asheville, NC in October.  Burnings In The Soul Luncheon on Thursday kicks things off.  Men get together for Prayer Meeting first thing on each day.  Women have their own.....nothing.  Def the wimmin folk can sit quietly and listen to penis holders tell it like it is, because that should be sufficient, right? 

That said, I suspect there are worse places to be on the planet than Asheville, NC in late Oct, so that would be a good draw for a conference.  How many people show up for these?  The conference fee is not that high (relatively) and there are six or seven speakers, some coming from as far away as Malawi and the U.K. The conference  pays each speaker for air fare, lodging, food and a speaker's fee, right?  Then the conference venue must be rented for three or four days. It must be a money maker, but I'm sure nowhere near the revenue from the Vision Forum heydays. 

What is Kelly's social media presence these days?  I do fb, but not Instagram.  I'm amazed that Christians don't have their own social media platform. 

On 21/04/2017 at 11:47 PM, quiversR4hunting said:

so it is an adjective thrown around like the word "cool" or "blessed" or "pretty" or "awesome" and after awhile the word looses it's impact.

In short, the meaning is a deep as a mud puddle.

On 22/04/2017 at 3:35 AM, Howl said:

Hmmmm, I'm thinking 

• providential
  • blessing 
  • season of _______ 
  • precious

On 22/04/2017 at 5:20 AM, bea said:

Don't forget "Purposed to _______"

This feels like a polarity-reversed version of Cards against Humanity.

I thought it could be really funny if we had a sarcastic "Cards for Gothard" or something that FJ-ers would like to play...but then I realized that no one in our real worlds would get it at al!!

There's already some niche versions of CaH, so it wouldn't be the first time.

I am still catching up on thread #1, but there is ongoing discussion of the glorious Wide Stance (TM), and I simply had to post that I might have a theory as to where it came from! I had a professor in college, an absolutely wonderful, liberal, feminist fellow, who despite being an english teacher was educated in stage acting. He gave some very good lectures on how to speak and make presentations with authoritative language and body language (with special consideration given to encouraging the girls in the class to not be afraid to BE authoritative). Apparently, planting your feet more widely apart is a way to make yourself seem more confident, as opposed to scrunching in on yourself and projecting uncertainty.. Except, when he demonstrated, he would stand with his feet more apart than usual, but no wider than would look natural. Not, well.... DPIAT. Perhaps the mighty patriarchs took the idea and ran far, far away with it...

Excuse my rambling, I have been sleeping poorly the last week or so and it does a number of my ability to be concise. :tw_expressionless:

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived