IGNORED

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Bethella

Nachtigal family update: Jim and Paige Nachtigal entered Alford pleas Aug. 31 on charges of child torture (for "sinning") of their 3 adopted Peruvian children. They were scheduled supposed to go to trial this month but finally worked out a plea bargain after a year-plus of maneuvering. They will be sentenced in December, maybe to about 5 years each. Their kids, meanwhile, are serving a life sentence of after effects.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article170307997.html

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

Thank you for the Nachtigal update, @older than allosaurs.

This is a sickening case and the Nachtigals are monsters. 5 years each is nothing compared to what they inflicted on the children but it's better than nothing.

I hope that those children thrive & live well but it sounds like it's a struggle still.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

On 9/9/2017 at 1:14 AM, older than allosaurs said:

Their kids, meanwhile, are serving a life sentence of after effects.

Indeed.  I wish the sentences were much longer.  Horrible.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

A North Carolina church asked people to commit fraud because it was "God's plan"

An evangelical church already under investigation for luring foreign believers to the U.S., where they were kept as virtual slaves, has been accused of encouraging parishioners to file fraudulent unemployment claims so they could keep tithing.

According to an Associated Press investigation, the founder of the Word of Faith Fellowship reportedly encouraged church members to defraud the government so that they could keep filling her coffers at Sunday services, saying it was “God’s plan.”

In an interview, contractor Randy Fields related how he appealed to church founder Jane Whaley to allow him to scale back his tithing because his business was faltering, only to have the religious leader encourage him to file fraudulent unemployment claims in the names of his employees.

According to the report, Fields was not alone, with multiple other church members — and fellowship employees – also admitting they committed fraud in the name of the church. The report goes on to note that the allegations are being investigated by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

This church was the same one where of the members led a group in trying to beat the gay out of someone.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, 47of74 said:

An evangelical church already under investigation for luring foreign believers to the U.S., where they were kept as virtual slaves, has been accused of encouraging parishioners to file fraudulent unemployment claims so they could keep tithing.

What the WHAT??  There's biblical justification for slavery, but I am boggling at the idea a CHURCH wanted to make it a reality

Edited by Lurky
outrage messed up my spelling

23 minutes ago, Lurky said:

What the WHAT??  There's biblical justification for slavery, but I am boggling at the idea a CHURCH wanted to make it a reality

Not so sure about that biblical justification for slavery you refer to here. There is biblical acknowledgement of slavery, but justification? Haven't seen that. Then again, I'm not a bible literalist and bible understanding is fraught with peril due to translation problems and the need to understand the sociopolitical context of ancient writings.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

55 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Not so sure about that biblical justification for slavery you refer to here. There is biblical acknowledgement of slavery, but justification? Haven't seen that. Then again, I'm not a bible literalist and bible understanding is fraught with peril due to translation problems and the need to understand the sociopolitical context of ancient writings.

It's implicit, rather than explicit. OT patriarchs had slaves, god never complained. The apostle Paul commanded slaves to obey their masters, etc.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

It's implicit, rather than explicit. OT patriarchs had slaves, god never complained. The apostle Paul commanded slaves to obey their masters, etc.

That's the acknowledgement I mentioned, still a lot different than justification. I won't say what I think of Paul (if you can't say something nice...). Not sure if this is a purported forged scripture or not, need to research it, but I have no use for religious culture warriors, present day or in antiquity. 

FWIW, some blacks consider Christianity a "white man's religion", because of statements like this slaves obey your masters nonsense. I'm black, and a Christ follower, and I don't for a minute believe Christ would cosign chattel slavery like we had in America, or any slavery for that matter. It's easy for me to disregard Paul's writings that do not comport with the key teachings of Jesus, as I am not a Paul follower. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

@SilverBeach

You are absolutely right. No argument from me.

But if you ever want to discuss Paul, I'll join you in the trenches. Personal ethics make me refrain from saying what I truly think of that guy.

• Upvote 5

On 9/9/2017 at 0:28 AM, hoipolloi said:

Thank you for the Nachtigal update, @older than allosaurs.

This is a sickening case and the Nachtigals are monsters. 5 years each is nothing compared to what they inflicted on the children but it's better than nothing.

I hope that those children thrive & live well but it sounds like it's a struggle still.

Many horrible aspects to this.  There were reports about the kids for two years before any action took place, but no one called 911.  

Jordan said he has learned that DCF [Department of Children and Families]  received around a dozen reports about the Nachtigals and their adoptive children, with some coming at least as early as 2014. None were forwarded to his department for further investigation, he has said.

It also appears that no one who might have suspected abuse called 911 or contacted law enforcement directly, either, Jordan said.

Go grateful that the kids were being sent to public schools, where social workers were so concerned that action was taken. If they were being homeschooled, they would still be suffering. 

I hope the 11-year-old boy can finally be adopted by his teacher and her husband, or that at least they are the foster parents.  

Betting that the Nactigals will play the repentance/Christian persecution card when they're paroled.  Disgusting humans.  They definitely deserve prison; too bad it's such a short stint. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Many horrible aspects to this.  There were reports about the kids for two years before any action took place, but no one called 911.  

Go grateful that the kids were being sent to public schools, where social workers were so concerned that action was taken. If they were being homeschooled, they would still be suffering. 

I hope the 11-year-old boy can finally be adopted by his teacher and her husband, or that at least they are the foster parents.  

Betting that the Nactigals will play the repentance/Christian persecution card when they're paroled.  Disgusting humans.  They definitely deserve prison; too bad it's such a short stint. 

Once school staff began to step up, the Nachtigals removed the kids from school and began homeschooling them in 2014. Probably that's one reason there wasn't followup by social services until the boy ran away. I'm guessing the reports tailed off once they were no longer being seen by teachers.

• Upvote 5

Yet another "pro-life" politician who bugs his mistress to get an abortion.

The [Pittsburgh Post-Gaxetete] obtained documents featuring apparent text messages between the woman, Shannon Edwards, a forensic psychologist, and Murphy from January.

"And you have zero issue posting your pro-life stance all over the place when you had no issue asking me to abort our unborn child just last week when we thought that was one of the options," Edwards wrote in a text to the congressman on Jan. 25, the report said.

A reply from Murphy's phone number said, "I get what you say about my March for life messages. I've never written them. Staff does them. I read them and winced. I told staff don't write any more. I will."

The asshat is getting slammed on his FB page.

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 1

A non-denominational evangelical pastor and his wife, Samuel and Madelaine Emerson, in British Columbia, Canada have been charged with 25 sexual offenses.  

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41503223

He is charged with 13 counts of sexual assault, 11 counts of being in a position of authority and touching for a sexual purpose and one count of sexual touching of someone under the age of 16.

His wife is charged with one count of sex assault, one count of being in a position of authority and touching for a sexual purpose and one count of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm.

• Sad 2
  • WTF 3

Here's another one that I think we missed putting on the list: 

Tom Chantry, Reformed Baptist pastor associated with the Association of Reformed Baptist Churches of America (ARBCA).  ARBCA may be strongly implicated in a cover-up.

Chantry's arrest in Dec 2016 was for five counts for the “molestation of child” and two counts for “aggravated assault – serious physical injury.”  The alleged crimes were committed in 1995, 1996, and 1998 to 2001 with multiple children.

The trial is set for jury selection to begin in January 2018.  The Wartburg Watch is following it closely.  Also Brent Detwiler: 

http://www.brentdetwiler.com/brentdetwilercom/tom-chantry-well-known-reformed-baptist-pastor-charged-on-mu.html

And we discussed it here - lots more links included in the thread: 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 2

Krista posted a blog post this morning about "how to keep kids safe during the holidays" and she talks a lot about steps parents can take to keep their kids safe from abuse....

does anyone else find this a little...i don't know....strange?!? All of the tips she shares are the things the Duggars DIDNT do like telling police and getting licensed professional help

Does anyone else think this may be a dig at the Duggars? She isn't seen with them anymore so maybe she cut ties? Thoughts? 

Also: I was surprised that some fundies liked her post...

Here's the link to it and I really think shes calling out the duggs.... 
https://throughtheconcrete.com/ 

3 hours ago, Bethella said:

@newyorkgirl52 Who's Krista and how is she connected to the Duggars?

Liberal friend of the older Duggar girls especially jinger jessa and ben...she had a nose ring and wore pants before it was fundie cool. Theres stuff on these forums about her....

did you read the article? Think it was a dig at duggars? 

1 hour ago, newyorkgirl52 said:

did you read the article? Think it was a dig at duggars? 

I just skimmed the article but no I don't think it's aimed specifically at the Duggars. I do think it would do them a lot of good to read it.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2017 at 3:40 PM, newyorkgirl52 said:

Krista posted a blog post this morning about "how to keep kids safe during the holidays" and she talks a lot about steps parents can take to keep their kids safe from abuse....

does anyone else find this a little...i don't know....strange?!? All of the tips she shares are the things the Duggars DIDNT do like telling police and getting licensed professional help

Does anyone else think this may be a dig at the Duggars? She isn't seen with them anymore so maybe she cut ties? Thoughts? 

Also: I was surprised that some fundies liked her post...

Here's the link to it and I really think shes calling out the duggs.... 
https://throughtheconcrete.com/ 

I don't know if that was aimed specifically at them, but it should be. Krista is a strange case to me. She has beliefs that I agree with but deep down I have to wonder if she excuses the Duggars and what they do because why on Earth would she still be around them otherwise?

• Upvote 4

Another one

A Broken Arrow man used the phone number associated with a ministry he leads in advertisements for a house of prostitution, according to police.

Tulsa County prosecutors on Wednesday charged Walter Eugene Brazington Jr. — identified as a minister for a group in Broken Arrow — with procuring for prostitution and possession of a firearm while in the commission of a felony, according to court records.

Brazington, 55, attempted to “encourage, induce or persuade women to become inmates of a house of prostitution,” the charges state.

Broken Arrow police allege that Brazington operated the house at 804C S. Ninth St. under the guise of a massage parlor.

• WTF 1

9 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

I put him on the list but it sounds like he wasn't actually fundy and this was just a front to hide his illegal activities.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I don't like to give out a lot of identifying information, I was stalked before.  But let's just say I live really close to the city in the article!  I don't think the guy was fundy, I think he was "just" a hypocrite.  It's been a big thing on the news, given the fact that the police went to surrounding businesses that have security tv so they could get car license plates to id anyone who might have been exposed to HIV by one of the workers.  It's disgusting, but I don't think he's a fundy.  Just a sleaze.

• Upvote 2

Harry L. Thomas, the founder of the largest Christian music festival, the Creation Festival, has been arrested on charges of child molestation:

Harry L. Thomas, founder of the Creation Festival and senior pastor of Come Alive New Testament Church in Medford, New Jersey, has been accused of sexually assaulting four children over a 16-year period between 1999 and 2015.

The church stated that the alleged misconduct was “unrelated” to his leadership.

Unrelated? Then why has the "church" made the webpages for its staff and history password protected?

• WTF 3
  • Thank You 1

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic