IGNORED

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Bethella

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Isn't this about Fundies who do shameful things not about the victims?

I'd leave off the catfishing of Meri too.  It wasn't perpetrated by a Fundie, to my knowledge, although the victim is a Fundie Mormon.

I only watched the show a few times before I boycotted TLC but I do remember that big move.  They made a big stink about being in danger of persecution (and prosecution) in Utah for their lifestyle and dramatically moved to Las Vegas.  It seemed to be a story-line for the show.  They weren't really going to be prosecuted - except perhaps for Welfare fraud.

Neither are Fundie Hall of Shame Worthy, IMO.

They had to leave asap because they were at risk of being arrested for polygamy. It was a real risk, I don't think it was just played up for the camera. I think Utah was trying to make an example of them. Most states say you just can't file for multiple marriage licenses, but Utah says you can't live with multiple people "as if in marriage". If I recall correctly, they were going to court over it- saying it was a violation of their first amendment rights. I don't remember what came of it though. 

If we're counting coverups....

JimBob and Michelle Duggar - concealed the molestations of five young girls, including two of their daughters, by their eldest son Josh.

Gil Bates, Dr. Stephen Paine, Pastor David York, Dr. Tim Levendusky - allegedly concealed the sexual assaults of several young women by Bill Gothard.

(I know Bates and Paine were accused of this, not sure if York and Levendusky were though. Can't remember who was named in the lawsuit.)

Bill Gothard - accused of sexual assault and spiritual abuse

Gothard's brother - sexual assault

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, send*the*ferrets said:

I don't remember what came of it though. 

It is only wikipedia, but here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_v._Buhman

Look who filed.  It wasn't the state of Utah.  I think Kody exaggerated the whole thing.  You may not agree.

Again - we are looking for Fundies who perpetrate abuse.  Not victims of the state.

2 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Bill Gothard - accused of sexual assault and spiritual abuse

There are other IBLP perpetrators in that lawsuit too.  I'd have to go over it again to get their names.  @Bethella, please yell if you need help.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Again - we are looking for Fundies who perpetrate abuse.  Not victims of the state.

There are other IBLP perpetrators in that lawsuit too.  I'd have to go over it again to get their names.  @Bethella, please yell if you need help.

I've just updated the list. If anyone want to write a summary for any of the names that don't have one yet, I would appreciate it. And if you see a summary where I'm missing something or got something wrong let me know.

@Palimpsest If you don't mind digging through the lawsuit, it would help. 

I did remove Meri and I shortened one name to Brantley D. since he was a minor at the time of the alleged incidents. I may go through and sort them by the seriousness of the crimes (deaths, abuse/sexual assault, cover up)

I did just notice that I put the summary for Elizabeth Schatz next to the names of Douglas and Kristen Barbour.

• Upvote 2

@Bethella, hope this helps:

David Gothard - accused of racketeering and fraud by the state of Florida. He's alleged to have stolen millions from mainly elderly victims via a Ponzi scheme. He appears to have used IBLP to find victims.

He also previously served two years in a California prison back in 1986 for illegally selling over a million in securities.

Steve Gothard - accused of sexually preying on his employees while he worked for IBLP in the 1980s. Of particular note are his actions at the Northwoods retreat, where he was banished by his brother after several IBLP staffers confronted Steve and Bill about his earlier abuses. He abused no less than seven female staffers by breaking down their emotional and psychological defenses.

Bill Gothard: In addition to his own abuse of young female staffers, he also knew about Steve's abuses of female employees years before the scandal broke. Despite knowing this, he continued sending young women to the Northwoods to work with Steve. Several of these women ultimately were victimized by Steve. 

Sources: https://www.google.com/amp/s/homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/01/14/bill-gothards-brother-accused-of-racketeering-stealing-millions-from-the-elderly/amp/

http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2014/02/the-gothard-files-the-early-years-1965-79/

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

As I mentioned in another thread I had my doubts about this list. But now I'd like to say thank you for all the work and time that was put into it.

I'm disgusted by the amount of names and crimes in this thread, but it is also a good reminder why it is so important to keep exposing these folks and their beliefs.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I know Bates and Paine were accused of this, not sure if York and Levendusky were though. Can't remember who was named in the lawsuit.)

Technically, the BoDs past and present are named in it, but some may have had less hands on responsibility than others.  I have a list of the Board Members somewhere.

Levendusky is the new President and was put on the board quite recently.  He may not have filthy hands.

You already got all the Gothard family member Scandals, thanks.

@Bethella.   I'm about to hold my nose and dive into the lawsuit again.  Wish me luck.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Technically, the BoDs past and present are named in it, but some may have had less hands on responsibility than others.  I have a list of the Board Members somewhere.

Levendusky is the new President and was put on the board quite recently.  He may not have filthy hands.

You already got all the Gothard family member Scandals, thanks.

@Bethella.   I'm about to hold my nose and dive into the lawsuit again.  Wish me luck.

Yeah. I mean, they're all probably scummy people, but I don't want to accuse anyone of anything if they weren't involved. The accusations are bad enough as is.

And thanks for diving into the lawsuit. I'd do it myself, but I don't have much experience reading through lawsuits like this. And my three month-old is screaming her head off. Again. Not sure what her malfunction is this time. :pb_lol:

ETA: And I got a fair amount of Gothard family scandals. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I missed something though. So if you or anyone else notices something missing just chime in.

1 hour ago, ophelia said:

As I mentioned in another thread I had my doubts about this list. But now I'd like to say thank you for all the work and time that was put into it.

I'm disgusted by the amount of names and crimes in this thread, but it is also a good reminder why it is so important to keep exposing these folks and their beliefs.

I agree. I feel like this could be an excellent little "cheat sheet" of sorts for people new to the site or new to certain Fundies. Kind of like the family summary threads that were started on SOTDRT.

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 7

OK.  I'm back.  I've read that lawsuit before and it still makes me want to vomit.

Remember these are all still "alleged."

As of August 18, 2016, an amended lawsuit has been filed against IBLP. Seventeen individuals are suing IBLP and Bill Gothard for “physical abuse, sexual abuse, and sexual harassment” during Gothard’s time as president of IBLP. The amended complaint contains 160 specific counts.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/08/22/lawsuit-against-bill-gothard-and-iblp-amended/  Link contains the link to the PDF of the lawsuit.

Besides Bill Gothard and what is called the "control group" (Board members and staff of IBLP) the others named in the third amendment of the case are:

Kenneth Copley. Physical and sexual abuse, and forced imprisonment of his minor adopted daughter.

Matthew (Matt) Heard. IBLP staff member.  Physical, sexual abuse, and rape of 14 year old Jane Doe V.

There is also a mention of sexual assaults by a juvenile only identified as "Jarvis" that no-one at IBLP did anything about except blame the victim.  He is not individually named as a defendant.

We may or may want to name the Board but here are the names of board members in 2013 prior to the lawsuit being filed (there are probably other past members):

Members for "up to or more than a decade"

• Dr. Billy Boring (Chair)- resigned when the shit hit the fan
  • Ralph Hudgens - resigned 
  • Bernie Reese - resigned after asking RG some questions
  • Anthony Burris - resigned
  • John Stancil - woffled, defended BG like a rabid possum, and then resigned 2014

Added in 2013

• Dr. Stephen Paine (had been IBLP staff physician)
  • Gil Bates
  • Pastor David York

Sources:

http://iblp.org/about-iblp/corporate-information/board-directors

http://heresyintheheartland.blogspot.com/2014/02/who-is-institute-in-basic-life.html

and the IBLP Forms 990 for 2012 and 2013

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Bethella said:

I'm not sure I want to go searching for all conservative Christians who've ever committed a crime, that list would be overwhelming. To quote @Palimpsest I'm not sure they're "Fundie Hall of Shame Worthy". I'm leaning towards only including the people that we've discussed in some depth and only specifically violent crimes and the cover up of those crimes. But I'm willing to hear other opinions about who should be included.

I was viewing this list as more for fundie leadership versus those who have some fundamentalist leanings.

• Upvote 2

@Bethella   More summaries.

Lynn Paddock:  Michael Pearl follower.  Convicted of first degree murder, after her adopted son died of suffocation when she bound him  in blankets to keep him from getting out of his bed.  Siblings (5 also adopted) testified that they were frequently beaten with plastic rods and wooden spoons.

Johnny Paddock: Convicted of “aiding and abetting” the crime.

Douglas and Kristen Barbour:  State prosecutor and SAHM plead no contest to assault and endangerment of 2 adopted children.  Received a mere slap on the wrist. Kristen sentenced to six to 12 months in jail and probation.  Douglas lost his job.  Parental rights terminated. The little boy was hospitalized for hypothermia, skin lesions, and was dramatically underweight. The baby girl had healing fractures and retinal hemorrhaging resulting in permanently damaged eyesight. 

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Pukingpearl said:

I was viewing this list as more for fundie leadership versus those who have some fundamentalist leanings.

Then definitely RC Sproul Jr. and his first defrocking scandal & subsequent DUI with children in the car.

What I really appreciate about the list is that when there are scandals, they can be written off as a bad apple, like there are evil people in every community (and I don't use "evil" lightly) - but when we see the list, we can see how pervasive abuse, especially sexual abuse is, and the patterns of the Fundy Royal churches' complicity and roles covering up the horrors.

• Upvote 13

13 hours ago, Lurky said:

What I really appreciate about the list is that when there are scandals, they can be written off as a bad apple, like there are evil people in every community (and I don't use "evil" lightly) - but when we see the list, we can see how pervasive abuse, especially sexual abuse is, and the patterns of the Fundy Royal churches' complicity and roles covering up the horrors.

Yeah, but a lot of these people are opinion leaders in fundie circles, not just mere sheep.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Mudgie said:

Priscilla Bittner

Yes.  That was complicated and sad.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/08/woman_admits_using_two_childre.html

On 3/25/2017 at 7:27 PM, marmalade said:

I thought the IBLP hearing was happening sometime this month? Does anyone have concrete information on this? @Palimpsest

I rely on RG and HA for news.  Neither has updated yet.

• Upvote 1

You can add Alan Smith. He was arrested for incest and rape in July 2016.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

You can add Alan Smith. He was arrested for incest and rape in July 2016.

He's been on the list all along

• Upvote 4

Do we really have to include Meri? Sheltered, potentially psychologically abused woman was catfished. If she was catfishing someone that would be one thing, but she was catfished; that isn't dirt, it's just sad.

5 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Do we really have to include Meri? Sheltered, potentially psychologically abused woman was catfished. If she was catfishing someone that would be one thing, but she was catfished; that isn't dirt, it's just sad.

If you read the entire thread or looked at the updated list you'd have seen that she was removed more than a week ago.

• Upvote 5

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic