IGNORED

Fundy Walk of Shame: Scandals and Crimes

Bethella

40 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

Wasn't one of Kody Brown's wives involved in a "cat fish" relationship?

Yep!  I think that was Meri.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for all the names to add to the list. I really wish it wasn't so long. I'm working on compiling the list but I might not get it done today, we'll see how much of the vileness I can handle tonight.

• Upvote 5

Sorry to add to the list @Bethella.  A couple more nominations with links.

1. Nancy Campbell of Above Rubies for the role she played in promoting the Evangelical Adoption Movement and for treating her own adopted children like slave labor.  The Child Catchers http://kathrynjoyce.com/ and numerous other articles by Kathryn Joyce.

2.  The abuse at unregulated "Christian" Homes for "Troubled" Youth.

• Upvote 2

And here is OK State Senator Ralph Shortey. I think he qualifies for the thread because in addition to his extreme political views, he attended a fundy college and once wanted to be a missionary. Edwin Edwards said something about the death knells for a political career are being caught with a dead girl or a live boy. In Shortey's case, it was the latter, complete with some icky "daddy" chatter on record. He has been charged with engaging in child prostitution. Ironically, the charges are more severe because of the proximity of a church to the tryst location.

http://newsok.com/article/5541897

His previous claim to fame was championing a law to ban the use of fetuses in food products.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2012/01/20/145539661/state-bill-outlaws-use-of-fetuses-in-food-industry-meets-visceral-reaction

• Upvote 5

Shiiiit..... I didn't know half of this.

Flabbergasted by the Dr. Paine one. I just... don't even have words. A woman went to him after she had been raped and THAT was his advice?? Did she sue him!?

• Upvote 6

4 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Shiiiit..... I didn't know half of this.

Flabbergasted by the Dr. Paine one. I just... don't even have words. A woman went to him after she had been raped and THAT was his advice?? Did she sue him!?

I believe she's part of the IBLP lawsuit

• Upvote 7

Dr. Paine worked for IBLP for years. He also wrote some of their questionable medical advice booklets. 

• Upvote 6

Jamin Wight should go next to Steve Stitler, as they're both connected to Doug Wilson and the CREC.  Jamin Wight began grooming and abusing a 13 year old in a house where he was boarding as a New St Andrew's student (as encouraged by Wilson's vision of college life).  Wilson supported Wight and wrote a letter to the judge supporting him.  He was charged with abuse over one year, though the victim claims the abuse went on for three years.  He only had to serve 4-6 months in the North Idaho Correctional Institution. He was later welcomed back to the church and sent on missions (at least one to Haiti).  He married and had children.  Then he was accused of domestic abuse, including strangulation, by his wife. 

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2015/09/14/jamin-wight-another-pedophile-aided-and-abetted-by-doug-wilson-along-with-the-rest-of-the-story/

http://wight.moscowid.net/2014/07/jamin-wight-rule-11-plea-agreement-2/

https://kbotkin.com/2014/04/22/vice-victims-and-doug-wilson/

Edited by amandaaries
  • Upvote 5

The Nachtigal family is another fundy adoption nightmare, with trials scheduled to start this spring, I believe.

Jim and Paige Nachtigal adopted three Peruvian children and proceeded to starve and beat two of them to the point of broken bones and dislocations, all the while running cutesy workshops for adoptive parents and fundraising to go back to Peru as missionaries and adopt some more.

They were arrested after one of their sons ran away and was found walking in a field barefoot, in February, in Kansas, scared to go home because he had "sinned."

• Upvote 4

I feel Meri Brown, as a victim of the catfishing, even if she willing entered the (false) relationship, shouldn't necessarily be on this list with all these perpetrators. 

• Upvote 22

32 minutes ago, Chicken bones said:

I feel Meri Brown, as a victim of the catfishing, even if she willing entered the (false) relationship, shouldn't necessarily be on this list with all these perpetrators. 

I can totally support that and will remove her the next time I update the list.

• Upvote 5

How about this guy, Tennessee "family values" senator and doctor, Joey Hensley?

http://www.joemygod.com/2017/03/09/tennessee-christian-sponsor-dont-say-gay-bill-accused-adultery-local-couples-divorce-filing/

Recently revealed in divorce proceedingsof another couple, his affair with his employee/patient/cousin. He's been married around 4 times, and one wife accused him of trying to run her over, twice, before dropping the charges. Also, local newspaper comments sections seem to suggest that Hensley has had a long habit of over-prescribing opioids to get his patients addicted, while having his hands in the local drug trade. I even saw one commenter that said he prescribed her 8-year-old (!) niece heavy painkillers for a lightly sprained wrist. And can we talk about how creepy he looks? Hopefully he loses his license to practice.

Edited by 16strong

5 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Totally in support of that. She is guilty of fooling her family and not telling them about her true feelings. But that's human and not a crime. Apart from that she is the one true victim of her catfishing scandal, not a perpetrator. I'm glad you pointed that out. 

ETA: I can't get over the Dr. Paine one. It boggles the mind. I'm curious as to what he had to say about Erin and Chad's fertility issues. I hope for their sake he didn't counsel his own son. What kind of Dr. is that (well, I guess the one who marries his daughter off to a sexual predator, that's the one).

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 11

Spanky Sproul and his many adventures, most recently culminating in a DUI with his children in the car.

This list makes my head spin.

• Upvote 10

10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Totally in support of that. She is guilty of fooling her family and not telling them about her true feelings. But that's human and not a crime. Apart from that she is the one true victim of her catfishing scandal, not a perpetrator. I'm glad you pointed that out. 

ETA: I can't get over the Dr. Paine one. It boggles the mind. I'm curious as to what he had to say about Erin and Chad's fertility issues. I hope for their sake he didn't counsel his own son. What kind of Dr. is that (well, I guess the one who marries his daughter off to a sexual predator, that's the one).

Given his previous commentary, I would believe that he told Erin and Chad it was due to to their sin, not any actual fertility issue....

While I think Meri Brown shouldn't be on the list as she was catfished, weren't the Browns (the entire family) involved with some legal ramifications after their decision to be reality show "stars?" Didn't they end up moving to a new state to escape the law? Or am I thinking of someone else? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

While I think Meri Brown shouldn't be on the list as she was catfished, weren't the Browns (the entire family) involved with some legal ramifications after their decision to be reality show "stars?" Didn't they end up moving to a new state to escape the law? Or am I thinking of someone else? 

Isn't this about Fundies who do shameful things not about the victims?

I'd leave off the catfishing of Meri too.  It wasn't perpetrated by a Fundie, to my knowledge, although the victim is a Fundie Mormon.

I only watched the show a few times before I boycotted TLC but I do remember that big move.  They made a big stink about being in danger of persecution (and prosecution) in Utah for their lifestyle and dramatically moved to Las Vegas.  It seemed to be a story-line for the show.  They weren't really going to be prosecuted - except perhaps for Welfare fraud.

Neither are Fundie Hall of Shame Worthy, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Palimpsest said:

Neither are Fundie Hall of Shame Worthy, IMO.

I agree. I wasn't sure if they actually got in trouble for something or not. They did say they were "prepared to go to jail" so I wasn't sure what actually happened. 

Has anyone said Jim Bakker yet? Or Dr. Dino (Dr. Hovind)? or are we looking at specifically violent crimes? 

• Upvote 3

On 3/17/2017 at 0:50 PM, paganbaby said:

And here is OK State Senator Ralph Shortey. I think he qualifies for the thread because in addition to his extreme political views, he attended a fundy college and once wanted to be a missionary.

16 hours ago, 16strong said:

How about this guy, Tennessee "family values" senator and doctor, Joey Hensley?

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

Has anyone said Jim Bakker yet? Or Dr. Dino (Dr. Hovind)? or are we looking at specifically violent crimes? 

I'm not sure I want to go searching for all conservative Christians who've ever committed a crime, that list would be overwhelming. To quote @Palimpsest I'm not sure they're "Fundie Hall of Shame Worthy". I'm leaning towards only including the people that we've discussed in some depth and only specifically violent crimes and the cover up of those crimes. But I'm willing to hear other opinions about who should be included.

• Upvote 7

18 minutes ago, Bethella said:

I'm leaning towards only including the people that we've discussed in some depth and only specifically violent crimes and the cover up of those crimes. But I'm willing to hear other opinions about who should be included.

I agree with this.  Especially the cover-up of crimes. 

I would like a separate category for the people who preach vicious stuff but have never been convicted (like Nancy Campbell and Michael Pearl) but can live without it.

And stone the proverbial crows - I forgot to add Doug Phillips (who is a Tool) even though the case was settled out of court!

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan unpinned and locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked and locked this topic