IGNORED

JinJer: When Shorts Attack!

Destiny

14 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Actually i had a dog that benefitted greatly from Prozac. She had a lot of anxiety and was a little snappy to most anyone other than me. When we were planning to have kids, i discussed with my vet how to make her successful with a big change.  She was like a different dog after and we were able to make some positive behavioral changes.

We had a dog back in the 80s that should have been on Prozac.  She had Self-Mutiliation Syndrome and ended up chewing half her tail off. We finally had her put down as she was in physical pain much of the time.  Not long after we had Toby euthanized, I saw a news report about the vets at Tufts were successfully treating dogs with Self-Mutilation Syndrome with Prozac.  If only we'd known about that while Toby was still with us.  We had (still have!) a little Fisher-Price dog named Toby because it was a white and black terrier with a red collar.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Fighter said:

I ❤️ Schnauzers!

My mom just got a schnauzer puppy! she's a terror so far (13 weeks), but so CUTE!!!

we used to have a cat that pooped on the toilet....genius?? 

2 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Genius...or waiting for disaster??

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, karen77 said:

My mom just got a schnauzer puppy! she's a terror so far (13 weeks), but so CUTE!!!

In the toilet = genius. On the toilet = pathetic.

10 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Re McGuinness: I'm willing to believe/hope that people who've done terrible things can have a change of heart and try to be a part of the solution and healing process, but I think for that to happen, they need to acknowledge and apologize for the terrible things they did. It doesn't really seem like he did that. I'm glad that he was involved in the Good Friday Agreement and things like that, but it doesn't seem like he ever acknowledged the pain he directly and indirectly caused before he decided to be part of the peace process.

Agreed.

The GFA brought peace, but extreme compromises had to be made.  Martin McGuinness, until just before his death, was one of the 2 people at the top of government in NI, even though he was the man detailed in this BBC article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39341862

I'm feeling sad that I don't have a unicorn.  You've all been exposed to way too many photos of my beloved dog, maybe she scares potential unicorns away?  I do have fairies living in my garden though, and they are making themselves quite at home. First it was just a fairy door, then toadstools grew, then they built a path between their door and a table and chairs. Next a letterbox appeared.  And, last week, a box arrived in MY mailbox, complete with a swing, lanterns and a tiny birdbath.  What, are they expecting me to install these for them?

(I'm not making this up, and can provide photographic evidence if required!)

9 minutes ago, Karma said:

I'm feeling sad that I don't have a unicorn.  You've all been exposed to way too many photos of my beloved dog, maybe she scares potential unicorns away?  I do have fairies living in my garden though, and they are making themselves quite at home. First it was just a fairy door, then toadstools grew, then they built a path between their door and a table and chairs. Next a letterbox appeared.  And, last week, a box arrived in MY mailbox, complete with a swing, lanterns and a tiny birdbath.  What, are they expecting me to install these for them?

(I'm not making this up, and can provide photographic evidence if required!)

I don't know about anyone else but I would love to see photos!  Not because I don't believe you but because your post sent me hurtling back to my childhood, constantly immersed in fairy books. I just wanna see it...please?

1 hour ago, karen77 said:

Schnauzers are the best. My mom's 12 year old pup is just now starting to slow down to normal dog levels of energy. She's still stubborn and bossy, but never destructive. Her range of vocalizations is amazing, and everyone in the family knows exactly what she's saying.

@Fascinated, ask and Ye shall receive.  Here is it!  They've made their home under a little ledge in our garden.  I wish they'd come to live here when my daughter was little, but I have nieces aged 5, 4 and 2 and they love coming to visit.

IMG_0753.JPG

It's looking a little unkempt after our three weeks of rain.  They need to get out and sweep the path ;) 

How wonderful, @Karma!  I wish I were a little girl at your house!  I would never leave that spot. Just...delightful!!!!!  

Thanks @Fascinated.  It really is magical even to me.  Or maybe I enjoy seeing the magic on the little ones faces...  

Here's  my two youngest nieces looking at it (and counting the toadstools) a couple of weeks ago.  I love that they love coming to visit me.  Just imagine how much they'd love it if I had a marshmallow pooping unicorn as well!  (Glitter is banned after I got a craft kit for my other niece and nephew to do at my place at Christmas.  I'm still getting that stuff out from between my floorboards!)

IMG_4323.JPG

33 minutes ago, mpheels said:

Schnauzers are the best. My mom's 12 year old pup is just now starting to slow down to normal dog levels of energy. She's still stubborn and bossy, but never destructive. Her range of vocalizations is amazing, and everyone in the family knows exactly what she's saying.

ugh don't tell me that. I'm convinced this demon will live until 20 minimum at full energy all 20 years. The vocalizations are crazy and like you said, you can clearly tell what he's saying based on tone, pitch, and inflection. It's so strange, like Dory speaking whale, I speak schnauzer. We have full conversations. 

He's lucky he's adorable and so sweet to his momma. He just isn't sweet to any other human on the planet and everyone is viewed as an enemy trying to take his momma. We got issues. 

I must say that the fact that I started the unicorn thread drift is one of my proudest moments. Not just on FJ. In life. 

Captain Sparkles is also proud. 

6 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Just make sure you get the right breed. Pooping glitter vs. marshmallows is highly debated...

Were on earth did I get the notion that Unicorns only farted rainbows. I feel like I have been lied to my whole life. Perhaps it's one of those false memories and nobody ever told me that they do, I only think that they did. :my_confused: 

I don't want a Unicorn now, as they say glitter is the herpes of the crafting world

2 minutes ago, motelmum said:

Were on earth did I get the notion that Unicorns only farted rainbows. I feel like I have been lied to my whole life. Perhaps it's one of those false memories and nobody ever told me that they do, I only think that they did. :my_confused: 

I don't want a Unicorn now, as they say glitter is the herpes of the crafting world

Sometimes I think we think we remember something when we've actually just seen it on videos.  So I'm guessing you've just seen rainbow farting unicorns ON VIDEO, and mistakenly thought it was a memory. It happens to all of us at one time or another.

When one of my children was diagnosed with bipolar, I got on a website for mothers of bipolar children. I lasted about a week. Those women weren't there to discuss therapies and approaches. They were there to  bemoan  brag about their children's disabilities. Everyone was trying to on up everyone else. Each one had some sort of signature line describing their child... like it's a contest?

So to the poster who said, "it's either how wonderful or how horrible the child is" that is TRUE.

I had a friend who constantly bragged about how wonderful, smart, involved, dedicated to scouting her kids were. Her son played soccer AND lacrosse and "It's Academic". )local tv high school trivia game) She had him in every AP class she could squeeze him into, He did robotics. He became an eagle scout. I don't think he ever, EVER made it onto the honor roll. She had him scheduled every hour of his life. He never seemed happy. My son, OTOH, (the two met in preschool) did average. I pushed him to do his best only. I knew he was smart enough to do better than he did, but he made the honor roll and dean's list all through high school and college. He marched in band, and he had a life. NO AP classes.

Her daughter, it's sad.. was pushed the same way... killed herself in college. I've felt sorry for the mother, but I can't help feeling that her extreme need to live through her children caused some of the angst that her daughter felt. And the mother never learned that.

2 hours ago, Casserole said:

ugh don't tell me that. I'm convinced this demon will live until 20 minimum at full energy all 20 years. The vocalizations are crazy and like you said, you can clearly tell what he's saying based on tone, pitch, and inflection. It's so strange, like Dory speaking whale, I speak schnauzer. We have full conversations. 

He's lucky he's adorable and so sweet to his momma. He just isn't sweet to any other human on the planet and everyone is viewed as an enemy trying to take his momma. We got issues. 

Our schnauzer pup likes all people, as long as they are indoors with her. She does not like people who are outside while she is inside, and she requires a proper introduction if she encounters a new person while outdoors. She has favorite people, but is very egalitarian in her play. She will take her toy/ball to different people in turn, making sure everyone has a chance to play. She likes big dogs, but does not like any smaller animals, including small dogs, cats, birds, squirrels... Left to her own devices, she is an exceptionally good mouser, and has caught a few birds and rabbits. 

During her peak crazy puppy years, I used to play "stair ball" with her whenever I visited. I would sit at the top of the stairs and drop a tennis ball. She would run down to get it and run back up to return the ball. She could easily play for 30 minutes, running up and down the stairs. 

When one of my children was diagnosed with bipolar, I got on a website for mothers of bipolar children. I lasted about a week. Those women weren't there to discuss therapies and approaches. They were there to  bemoan  brag about their children's disabilities. Everyone was trying to on up everyone else. Each one had some sort of signature line describing their child... like it's a contest?

So to the poster who said, "it's either how wonderful or how horrible the child is" that is TRUE.
I had a friend who constantly bragged about how wonderful, smart, involved, dedicated to scouting her kids were. Her son played soccer AND lacrosse and "It's Academic". )local tv high school trivia game) She had him in every AP class she could squeeze him into, He did robotics. He became an eagle scout. I don't think he ever, EVER made it onto the honor roll. She had him scheduled every hour of his life. He never seemed happy. My son, OTOH, (the two met in preschool) did average. I pushed him to do his best only. I knew he was smart enough to do better than he did, but he made the honor roll and dean's list all through high school and college. He marched in band, and he had a life. NO AP classes.
Her daughter, it's sad.. was pushed the same way... killed herself in college. I've felt sorry for the mother, but I can't help feeling that her extreme need to live through her children caused some of the angst that her daughter felt. And the mother never learned that.

It's this way with all disabilities. Sadly.

I was part of a community for my daughters disability. I was so annoyed by the "look at what my kid can do, despite XYZ!" And the bitching and moaning about all the "troubles" but not really wanting support.

And the one question I had? Never got answered.

I have a cat who I'm pretty sure would be special needs if he was human. He's so sweet and so pretty but he's clearly challenged. We think he might be missing a chromosome, since that's something that's known to occur with his breed (Ragdoll).

Last year I met someone who also had a Ragdoll who they believed was challenged. It turned out our cats came from the same breeder and were related, so I don't think it's just my imagination. It's made all the more obvious because my other cats are normal in one instance and quite smart in the other (although my 17-year-old is now blind and deaf).

14 hours ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I have neither cat and nor dog nor any other animal. But for this thread I wish I had.

What about a housefly or possibly carpenter ants, come on work with me.

9 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I gotta ask how birthing that unicorn horn felt!

Oh and if UniGod really blessed you, you'd be having some BICORNS or TRICORNS... 

Pretty sure they aren't born with horns. I mean, mine wasn't.

4 hours ago, sansan said:

What about a housefly or possibly carpenter ants, come on work with me.

Spiders. Thick hairy spiders. Oh and this bird flew Info our flat and stayed for some time because he did not find the exit. Sometimes we get a postcard from him, he is in Italy now and will be soon back in Germany when it's warmer. He promised to stop for some corn. 

8 hours ago, mpheels said:

Our schnauzer pup likes all people, as long as they are indoors with her. She does not like people who are outside while she is inside, and she requires a proper introduction if she encounters a new person while outdoors. She has favorite people, but is very egalitarian in her play. She will take her toy/ball to different people in turn, making sure everyone has a chance to play. She likes big dogs, but does not like any smaller animals, including small dogs, cats, birds, squirrels... Left to her own devices, she is an exceptionally good mouser, and has caught a few birds and rabbits. 

During her peak crazy puppy years, I used to play "stair ball" with her whenever I visited. I would sit at the top of the stairs and drop a tennis ball. She would run down to get it and run back up to return the ball. She could easily play for 30 minutes, running up and down the stairs. 

Our little dog does this on her own. She will stand at the top of the stairs, drop her ball and watch it roll until it's almost at the bottom and then go bounding down after it. It is hilarious to watch. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived