IGNORED

Donald Trump and the Fellowship of the Alternative Facts (Part 14)

Destiny

I would love for Michelle to run, but I don't think she wants the craziness- I think she wants a quieter life. They had some nasty things said about them while they were in office, and then for the cheeto to be elected over a well qualified woman had to be a slap in the face. I'd love for Biden to run, but he's had so much tragedy that I understand him wanting a quiet life too. On one hand, I want the Cheeto gone- on the other, I'm terrified of Pence. He's not blundering and incompetent, he might actually get stuff done. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill can be an ass, but he can be pretty darned funny too. He had Louise Mensch on this week, which was interesting. "‘You know how Putin feels about failure’: Bill Maher blasts Trump’s health-care flop"

Bill Maher had a succinct, if potty-mouthed, explanation for why Republicans’ health-care bill died before it came to a vote — despite the party’s huge congressional majority and seven-year desire to repeal one of President Barack Obama’s signature achievements.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis) had done more and more to appease the Freedom Caucus, the latest re-branding of the tea party movement, according to Maher on his HBO show, “Real Time with Bill Maher,” which aired Friday night. Over time, that gutting would have left more people without health care than simply repealing the Affordable Care Act “and replaced it with nothing,” Maher said.

“The last version, they had cut hospitalization, doctor visits, maternity, mental health, lab tests, prescriptions, emergency room visits,” Maher said. “Their version of health care was: If you like your doctor, go f— yourself.”

But, according to Maher, he has bigger issues.

“Oh this looks bad for Trump,” he said. “You know how Putin feels about failure.”

Yeah, this will happen..."Okay, you lost. Now don’t sabotage Obamacare. Fix it."

THE NEXT time someone argues that a businessman would manage the country better than an experienced politician, remember this past week. The attempt by President Trump and House Republicans to force through a health-care bill scorned by experts across the spectrum, projected to be a disaster for aging and low-income people and opposed by a large majority of Americans ended in debacle. Now the danger is that a wounded president and his GOP allies will act on their sore feelings by irresponsibly attacking the existing health-care system in other ways.

Unfortunately, there are signs that Mr. Trump will act rashly on his own, without Congress, weakening Obamacare on purpose or by sheer incompetence. Several times in recent weeks, Mr. Trump suggested that it would be savvier for Republicans to let the system persist — and collapse. Independent experts, including the Congressional Budget Office just this month, predict no such crumbling. Yet they may not have satisfactorily considered the likelihood of administrative sabotage: The Trump administration has already undermined federal enrollment efforts and the individual mandate that holds the system together. Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price, who would lead any executive-branch regulatory overhaul, has shown himself to be a rigid ideologue on health-care policy.

Mr. Trump should not imagine that angry Americans will blame Democrats, who are totally locked out of power, if he presides over an unraveling of the system. Public reaction to the replacement effort, including in polls, showed substantial support for Obamacare and rejection of the Republican effort to destroy it.

A better option would be the one that Republicans have explored least: actually fixing the system’s flaws. Mr. Trump could use his executive power to shore it up — enhancing enforcement of the individual mandate and encouraging people to sign up. Then he should approach Democrats to see if there is room for an agreement on a repair bill. This would have to be an authentic deal, not an ultimatum, in which Democrats traded things Republicans want, such as medical liability reform and some limited regulatory reform, in exchange for things they should want, such as enhanced subsidies for vulnerable people.

For the good of the country, Republicans must finally admit two things. First, Obamacare is mostly working and millions will be hurt if it is abruptly repealed. Second, the GOP is incapable of the near-unanimity on health-care policy that is required to act without Democrats.

Yeah, the tangerine toddler won't play nice. His feelings are hurt, so he's going to be as nasty as possible.

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Curious unpinned this topic

Archived