IGNORED

Joy and Austin: He's got the Joy Joy in his heart!

Destiny

22 hours ago, lizzybee said:

She is. Anna, the only other female family member I've seen in person (same day), is what I would call more average sized (not talking about weight here). If you see her pictured next to Michelle or her SIL's you see what I mean. 

Hide contents

IMG_7056.jpg

Hide contents

20161105-Photography-By-Britton-TLC-022.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

CbTKiw_UAAArxWP.jpg

Damn Jill is a JB clone.

They are all lovely girls.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2017 at 11:13 AM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Run up and hug one of hte guys, as a female and then do that excited rocking back and fourth and back rub. If boob wasn't such a creep I'd want to do it to him.  I'm not gay but I'm not above flirting with Michelle just to creep her out, but do it while gushing about her Godliness and how modest is hottest. :pb_lol: 

And do it while wearing shorts and a tank top!  :tw_sweat_smile:

18 hours ago, mstee said:

As far as parents telling their kids to lose weight- I Have always been chubby but not a huge amount but put more weight on these last few years. Anyways, when I was about 11 my parents sat me down for a serious talk. The gist was watch what you eat, you're overweight; eat less carbs; eat less dessert. I was a sensitive kid who already was self conscious and just starting puberty and it crushed me. I felt like every thing I ate was judged silently. My parents didn't cut back on their own carbs or dessert. They didn't change the meals to be healthier. They didn't enroll me in extra sports. And to this day, I think about that talk and I still cry. It permanently damaged things between my mom and I. I finally told her a few years ago (after another weight comment) that I was never discussing my weight again with her. My fiancé is thin but who knows what body type our future kids will have? I plan on encouring healthy foods and sports so that they can be healthy, not to look a certain way. That is what is most important. Ok sorry rant over. 

I totally understand! I used to only see my grandparents twice a year - once, they arrived over on my 13th birthday, my grandfather got out of the car and the first words out of his mouth were 'Goodness, you've gotten fat'. I've never been small, but I certainly wasn't fat at 13! Also, it's not like he was slim, he had a massive beer belly. You have to be sensitive when talking about weight with kids, even if you mean well. My grandfather's comment ruined an already strained relationship.

Joy has a different body type than her sisters. I feel bad for her because modest wear still shows curves. So she must be making men lust. 

18 hours ago, missaudrey said:

I totally understand! I used to only see my grandparents twice a year - once, they arrived over on my 13th birthday, my grandfather got out of the car and the first words out of his mouth were 'Goodness, you've gotten fat'. I've never been small, but I certainly wasn't fat at 13! Also, it's not like he was slim, he had a massive beer belly. You have to be sensitive when talking about weight with kids, even if you mean well. My grandfather's comment ruined an already strained relationship.

Yes, as a fat woman, and the mom of a fat daughter let me tell you even subtle talks about their weight will make them unhappy and self conscious. One thing thin people who are naturally thing and easily thin don't know is that fat people know they are fat, this isn't news to us, we don't need to be told, we don't need to be talked to about "healthy choices"  we know. If it were as easy as eating healthy we'd be thin.  Trust me, 1200 calories to my body is probably 2000 calories to a "normal" body I've been on 1200 a day calorie diet, followed it for 4 weeks with out cheating, I lost 5 pounds, 5 pounds, in 4 weeks I weigh over 250 pounds doc said I should have lost 20 pounds, of course they thought I was lying and cheating because I didn't lose what they thought. I'm still fighting to get my thyroid tested as I'm fairly certain it is not working properly, but I'm fat so I'm just crazy/lazy. It is VERY hard to get a doctor to take you seriously when you are overweight, as everything wrong with you is your weight not real problems. That is why it took 8 YEARS, 4 doctors & 30+ kidney stones 5 hospitalizations and 7 surgeries, to get my hyperparathyroidism diagnosed & treated, because I was fat and it would all be better if I just lost weight.  

I think it's funny that Michelle insists that fundie upbringing shields her kids from unhealthy beauty standards/body shaming/poor self-image.

Both Jill and Jesse made comments about weight loss and food before their weddings. It seems that weight loss is a thing you're supposed to do when you're courting (read romantically desireable)

Jessa does it the most. I remember a little after she got married (before pregnancy) Ben said she constantly calls herself fat.

They have Jana at Weight Watchers, the girls making comments in their book about portion control, Jesse making comments about her and others weight. This is because  their worth is partly based on their physical appearance and how traditionally feminine they are. Michelle's assertions aren't based in reality (as usual)

side-note: I was trying to find my babysitter who looked after me when I was little. I ran into her co-worker who looked at me and said 'Oh, you were slim back then'....I was 5.

I agree about helping people develop a healthy lifestyle but making people feel shitty about how they look doesn't help. Mental health is a part of general health. My low self-esteem (years of bullying and comments about my appearance) makes me too anxious to go to the gym. Or too depressed to improve my exercise regimens because I see myself as undeserving/basically shit.

@allthegoodnamesrgone...I'm sorry you weren't taken seriously because of your weight. And yes to everything you said.

One thing that is glossed over often in social justice/body acceptance is the discrimination larger-bodied invidiuals face on the daily. I'm now convinced people overlook it because they think it's deserved. 

7 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

@allthegoodnamesrgone...I'm sorry you weren't taken seriously because of your weight. And yes to everything you said.

One thing that is glossed over often in social justice/body acceptance is the discrimination larger-bodied invidiuals face on the daily. I'm now convinced people overlook it because they think it's deserved. 

Agreed to all of this. I think part of it being that there's a lack of acceptance (by some) to admit that, while being overweight can be because of physical issues (thyroid, etc), the psychological issues behind overeating are just as real as someone with a drug/alcohol addiction. That's why I've been not keen on going after Josh's weight like some others have. He's obviously got psychological issues, and that could explain the recent weight gain. Sorry, Josh is a tad off topic here I know...

16 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Jessa does it the most. I remember a little after she got married (before pregnancy) Ben said she constantly calls herself fat.

They have Jana at Weight Watchers, the girls making comments in their book about portion control, Jesse making comments about her and others weight. This is because  their worth is partly based on their physical appearance and how traditionally feminine they are. Michelle's assertions aren't based in reality (as usual)

I hope Jessa was just being immature and digging for compliments, because otherwise that's really messed up. She and Jinger in particular both looked about as slim as you can get before you're staring down the 'underweight' category before their weddings. And I'm seriously disturbed that they enrolled Jana in Weight Watchers, if that's true. WTF?

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I hope Jessa was just being immature and digging for compliments, because otherwise that's really messed up. She and Jinger in particular both looked about as slim as you can get before you're staring down the 'underweight' category before their weddings. And I'm seriously disturbed that they enrolled Jana in Weight Watchers, if that's true. WTF?

Michelle was definitely doing Weight Watches meetings in one episode and Jana went with her. 

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

And I'm seriously disturbed that they enrolled Jana in Weight Watchers, if that's true. WTF?

We don't know if they MADE her do it. She was a teenage girl that comes off as insecure (to me, anyways), and she maybe just wanted to lose a few pounds.

I don't get the weight conscious vibes from the Duggars more than any other teenage girls. What I DO think is that they were all forced into the public eye on reality tv by their parents, and being in the public eye can definitely contribute to those pressures.

PS - in case anyone's wondering, I'm procrastinating on some major household work, hence my posting on everything today, ha!

15 minutes ago, snickers34 said:

We don't know if they MADE her do it. She was a teenage girl that comes off as insecure (to me, anyways), and she maybe just wanted to lose a few pounds.

She must have been doing it unofficially, unless something's changed... I remember trying to sign up for the online version a few years ago and it wouldn't let me because I didn't weigh enough.

Seeing Jessa in the latest group picture she looks like a woman who had a baby recently (in a perfectly normal way) but I wonder if she will pressure herself to loose weight/get toned up fast only to get pregnant very soon again. Defining yourself over your figure and continuously having babies in short intervals is a dangerous combination IMO. 

My mom definitely talked a lot about my weight when I was growing up, and it had a really negative effect. Like, drinking untreated water in rural China so I'd get sick and lose more weight kind of negative effect. I've gotten really into running and weightlifting, and I already like to eat healthy foods more than junk food, so healthy habits do come easily for me, and I've lost 20 pounds from my heaviest weight (I was 125 pounds at 4'11''). I used to be down to 98 pounds through running/walking everywhere/eating healthy, which made me happy (and I realize that was a little fucked up), but I don't know if I could get back to that again, what with having a social life (more alcohol and going out to eat) and a more sedentary job now. I'm happy where I'm at and I'm working on not feeling guilty about eating pasta or candy every once in a while, but it's still hard to move myself away from unhealthy thoughts about my weight. I dread getting weighed at the doctor because I don't want it to be more than 105.

3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

My mom definitely talked a lot about my weight when I was growing up, and it had a really negative effect. Like, drinking untreated water in rural China so I'd get sick and lose more weight kind of negative effect. I've gotten really into running and weightlifting, and I already like to eat healthy foods more than junk food, so healthy habits do come easily for me, and I've lost 20 pounds from my heaviest weight (I was 125 pounds at 4'11''). I used to be down to 98 pounds through running/walking everywhere/eating healthy, which made me happy (and I realize that was a little fucked up), but I don't know if I could get back to that again, what with having a social life (more alcohol and going out to eat) and a more sedentary job now. I'm happy where I'm at and I'm working on not feeling guilty about eating pasta or candy every once in a while, but it's still hard to move myself away from unhealthy thoughts about my weight. I dread getting weighed at the doctor because I don't want it to be more than 105.

No offense but I hate you right now. I'm 4'11.5" and weigh over 200. I'd kill to be at 150 let alone 125. You're killing me smalls. 

Michelle has claimed that their style of living prevents issues with low self-esteem and body image?  She's completely delusional.  There is no bigger contributor to the objectification of women and low self-esteem than patriarchy itself!  Nothing says, "You're only as good as your body" like Quiverfull and Gothard teachings.  Grrrr....this makes me feel all kinds of anger when I read that Michelle has made those claims.  She's absolutely insane if she thinks their lifestyle is healthy.   

I think she thinks their lifestyle is healthy because the kids don't have peer pressure from ebil public school.

4 minutes ago, Pasta said:

Is it still peer pressure if it's coming from your religion/parents?

No, that's directly from God. :wink-kitty:

ETA Yay I'm a purity baller. I didn't like being tits2woman.

9 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Michelle was definitely doing Weight Watches meetings in one episode and Jana went with her. 

I find it pretty awful that Michelle let Jana do it with her. It's not good for teen girls to diet in general unless they're very obese, which Jana was not, but especially since Michelle claims to have had an eating disorder she should have been more careful with her daughters. Of course, she's probably unaware of the genetic basis of eating disorders and thinks they're just a sinful behavior to which her sheltered daughters would be immune. I've often heard homeschoolers talk about how their kids can't have problems like that. (Spoiler alert: they can and do)

19 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I find it pretty awful that Michelle let Jana do it with her. It's not good for teen girls to diet in general unless they're very obese, which Jana was not, but especially since Michelle claims to have had an eating disorder she should have been more careful with her daughters. Of course, she's probably unaware of the genetic basis of eating disorders and thinks they're just a sinful behavior to which her sheltered daughters would be immune. I've often heard homeschoolers talk about how their kids can't have problems like that. (Spoiler alert: they can and do)

I totally agree.

My mom did Weight Watchers when I was growing up, though, and I was super interested in it (although I was lucky and never TRULY struggled with my weight). It did seem to encourage eating more healthy items and cutting back on unhealthy ones. I liked the points system attributing fewer points (or even zero points) to lots of healthier or lower-fat/lower-calorie foods (like veggies), which can sort of give you permission to eat, if that's a problem for you.

So I could see how it could be less detrimental than, say, a low-carb diet, where you can become scared of an entire food group (and may not need to cut back in the first place). My mom also did Atkins later on and, although she never talked about it much, I was very curious and would ask questions and read literature lying around the house. I definitely didn't get over my fear of carbs/starches (even whole foods) until the last couple of years.

On 3/24/2017 at 8:39 PM, meowfundiecatz said:

In one of the more recent episodes of Counting On, it was mentioned that Jinger started to run more before her wedding.

Okay now ya got me wondering. Where did Jinger run and PLEASE someone tell me that child did not run in a skirt....please....someone?

24 minutes ago, sansan said:

Okay now ya got me wondering. Where did Jinger run and PLEASE someone tell me that child did not run in a skirt....please....someone?

We can not tell you definitively that Jinger did not run in a skirt. 

Nothing says peer pressure more than having nine daughters and have them all share the same clothes and make them wear their hair in the same style. And at the same time have a live-in camera crew that exposes their awkward teen years on screen. 

Not to mention how they encourage their married daughters to have as many children as they can. That is hard on their figure and their health. My mom had to stop having children after my sister and I. We are 14 months apart and her back suffered from the effects of carrying two babies and undergo two close pregnancies. 

4 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

We can not tell you definitively that Jinger did not run in a skirt. 

And the debate was ENDLESS. Not quite down in FJ lore per say, but it was a special and memorable time because as I recall Jill was in the mid-point of her pregnancy, there was some Dugger/Bates speculation, so not too much was going on. Perfect time for ZOMG IS JINGER JOGGING IN PANTS debate.

6 hours ago, sansan said:

I mean, I've seen plenty of Muslim and Chasidic women running in skirts, but they were usually just above the knee, not too tight nor too billowy, and paired with proper running tights and good sneakers. I'm not going to get as worked up about Jinger running in a skirt as long as she did it sensibly. Which, considering her older sister thought it was a good idea to lift weights in ballet flats and a pencil skirt, isn't a sure thing.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived