IGNORED

Change your thoughts to prevent "emotional disease"

FJismyheadship

9 minutes ago, littlemommy said:

Oh man, I wish I had known this for the last ten years! I just gotta change my thinking!!!!

Right!? Who knew that being more positive would solve alllllll my problems? Guess I can stop taking my prozac. Should I also change my thinking with my ADHD and throw my adderall out on the street too?

I'm thinking of a finger.  On each hand.  Aimed at this person.  You all can guess which one.  I've battled depression issues most of my life.  People like this can shove it.  

Holy schmoley, where have these words been my whole life??? Looks like they'd work for anxiety, too. 

:: rolls eyes ::

:: you may now return to your regularly scheduled snarking ::

(Thoughts do have power; for that I'll agree 10000000000000000000000000%. However, though, it's not just a simple snap of the finger to make things all sunshine & butterflies.)

Sounds like an ideal candidate for Gothardism. This was certainly one of his beliefs and he would take it to the extreme that those thoughts would cause other health problems, too.

Wow, now just add eating gluten free and using essential oils and we'll have discovered the cure for all mental illness everywhere! 

This woman deserves the Nobel peace prize!

Sure enough, if you scroll down, there's an anti-Obama post.  So glad she's around to blow sunshine up our skirts and to solve all the world's problems with stale platitudes. 

And let me guess: these are people who do not believe in magic?   And don't like Osteen (although this crap is easily as bad as his teachings) This mindset is as bad as keep sweet and I am guessing anyone who is depressed is shunned in their perfect world. 

Reality is more like this:  Sometimes life just sucks.  Stuff does not work and sometimes it all gets to be too much.  If you can stop the noise and regroup on your own, fantastic.  If not, there are wonderful qualified professionals who can help (with therapy and sometimes meds) calm the noise down and help you regroup.  

She has this shit backwards. 

Depressing thoughts come from depression 

Anxious thoughts come from anxiety.

Fck her. I'm all for positive thinking and trying to clear your mind of fearful thoughts.   However this middle school level advice is how we get situations like Andrea Yates. Sometimes you just need some good pharmaceuticals to help you. 

I just can't....as someone who stuggled through depression in adolescence and most of my 20s before even learning depression was a real diagnosis, then spent 6-7 years trying to get the right medicine so I didn't jump out my office window (16th floor) I just want to slap these people across the face, hard, and say "oh, did that hurt? Just think away the pain!"

jackasses!

And let me guess: these are people who do not believe in magic?   And don't like Osteen (although this crap is easily as bad as his teachings) This mindset is as bad as keep sweet and I am guessing anyone who is depressed is shunned in their perfect world. 
Reality is more like this:  Sometimes life just sucks.  Stuff does not work and sometimes it all gets to be too much.  If you can stop the noise and regroup on your own, fantastic.  If not, there are wonderful qualified professionals who can help (with therapy and sometimes meds) calm the noise down and help you regroup.  

A lot of these types will tell you it is your fault when life goes bad. A now former friend and my idiot sister-in-law both repeatedly told me during my father' s cancer that my sadness and stress was "creating" his illness. If I stopped being stress (and depressed some of the time) and just believed the cancer would go away, it would.

In the end, the friend was gone ( my decision) and sil was telling me to "let go" of my "toxic" parents who were making my life "negative". Because you should definitely just walk away from your dying parent in order to keep up with the happy thoughts.

And both of them got their versions from new agey crap.

31 minutes ago, clueliss said:

This hit my facebook page this morning.  It, of course, reminded me of this thread.

http://upliftconnect.com/8-things-not-to-say-to-someone-with-anxiety/

These people need to go right to #8 on the list.  

Wish I could've liked this 2385789435712348975128935789x. This was an excellent article. Not looking for something to have, per se, but for me personally, recognizing that I have anxiety is a big step.

I visited a local Buddhist temple last year with a friend for the first time (& the public is welcome there just about any time). We sat there in the temple itself (& then toured the grounds afterwards) for a while, & I never felt so calm & peaceful in my entire life. I could literally feel the stress/usual mental nonsense (my own words) just melt away, & it was an amazing feeling. It is in my area, thankfully, & it's not hard to get to at all; I just wish it was easier to get to (on a daily basis).

9 hours ago, louisa05 said:

A lot of these types will tell you it is your fault when life goes bad. A now former friend and my idiot sister-in-law both repeatedly told me during my father' s cancer that my sadness and stress was "creating" his illness. If I stopped being stress (and depressed some of the time) and just believed the cancer would go away, it would.

In the end, the friend was gone ( my decision) and sil was telling me to "let go" of my "toxic" parents who were making my life "negative". Because you should definitely just walk away from your dying parent in order to keep up with the happy thoughts.

And both of them got their versions from new agey crap.

So sorry for your loss.  Yeah there is the new agey woo and fundie woo and both sound almost identical

• 3 weeks later...

Archived