IGNORED

Hope Pennington, atheist

16strong

You know that youre a bad parent, when they actually had to make a law to describe the awful thing you did to your kid.

• Upvote 39

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Jack Sparrow + the Olsen Twins visit an opim opium den* = Magnolia Pearl

*thanks and a tip o' the hat to Peas n Carrots! 

Crap!  Opium Den.   OPIUM DEN!  My my edit fu is weak today. 

• Upvote 3

Does Hope have unrestricted Internet? Because I so want her to read the fanfic "Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness." Solidarity and defiance! It certainly gave me fight and helped me feel better after Cheeto brain got elected.

• Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, jozina said:

Hahaha, finance oil!  Oh good old God giving them all these magical potions oils to get through life.  She is stupid.

From the Young Living website:

Hm, maybe not spending $40 on 5mL of squished up plants with magical promises may be a small way to helping to manage your finances and be free of debt?  Increased feelings of abundance aren't going to help you if the money isn't abundant.

Their website is the funniest thing I've seen. Ancient Scripture oils!  Magic!

I've been laughing my ass off when I went down that rabbit hole known as the Young Living website. That, and the Magnolia Pearl pictures on Instagram.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, jozina said:

Hm, maybe not spending $40 on 5mL of squished up plants with magical promises may be a small way to helping to manage your finances and be free of debt?  Increased feelings of abundance aren't going to help you if the money isn't abundant.

Oh, I would guess the money is abundant for someone up the chain! 

Also, I'll still never understand how many of these fundie families get into stuff that sounds straight up like magic potions out of a fantasy story. If someone needs physical, mental or emotional health support, funny how in this way of thinking God never provides guidance to seek out a reputable physician, psychiatrist or talk therapist... just oils. 

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, jozina said:

Hahaha, finance oil!  Oh good old God giving them all these magical potions oils to get through life.  She is stupid.

From the Young Living website:

Their website is the funniest thing I've seen. Ancient Scripture oils!  Magic!

Right. So I'll ask again ,rhetorically obviously, as I'm sure no one here can explain this logic to me, but why is an actual mixture of different things you wear, eat or inhale, intentionally meant to evoke specific feelings/emotions and *material results* are from God, but fictional stories about shields and potions are sinfully evil. WTF. 

(Sorry for the awkward sentence, too lazy to fix).

• Upvote 15

Because Je$u$?  Whoever came up with the marketing for that nonsense is a genius.  They've obviously captured the not overly burdened with brains Christian market beautifully.

It amuses me how much of the sacredness of these oils and magical, historical uses they're claiming for these products come from eeeeeeeevil non-Christian religions. Hong kuai oil magically improves spiritual awareness (so obviously all those Taiwanese using it in their temples and shrines must be very enlightened and onto the non-Christian truth).  There are hints of Ayurveda in there too I think (so Hindus).  One wonders why God didn't step down from the clouds to tell his chosen Christians about these magical uses of plants and instead let those false Hindu gods reveal it.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

@jozina you missed this part when you quoted the website

Finance affirmation: I am financially free and living abundantly.

You are even supposed to say a spell when you use it. 

I've seen other places where they talk about saying blessings (mantras) over the oils before you use them.

• Upvote 4

[mention=18965]jozina[/mention] you missed this part when you quoted the website
Finance affirmation: I am financially free and living abundantly.
 You are even supposed to say a spell when you use it. 
I've seen other places where they talk about saying blessings (mantras) over the oils before you use them.

Using oil - sounds like a potion

Repeating an affirmation - chanting, mantras, invocations etc.

If I didn't know better, I would say Lisa Pennington is using a bit of witchcraft to glean money from the universe, rather than knowing that God will return tens and thousands back from her tithes. At the very least there's some hinky laws of attraction practice going on there. That's not Biblical, Lisa!
  • Upvote 18

Has this been posted here before? This guy cracks me up. 

I actually believe oils can trigger a placebo feeling of relaxation/joy/whatever if that's what your brain associates the smell with. 

But if Lisa is so keen on using the Good Lord's gift of plants for TRUE mind-altering relaxation, may I suggest a far more effective plant that is now legal in Colorado? ;)

• Upvote 20

On 4/13/2017 at 7:45 AM, Granwych said:

No, the words "therapeutic grade" have no real meaning at all.

Neither does the word "pure". Or "natural", for that matter, although I see that more on food labels than EOs.

There's a "forgiveness" YL formulation? Who needs god anymore, then?

On 4/13/2017 at 0:25 PM, Anonymousguest said:

I wonder if the pennington parents feel they made a mistake by teaching them to think critically? Or perhaps it's a matter of intelligence, and for the second generation to embrace the lifestyle of the parents there has to be a lower level of intelligence? 

I don't know... I get some cognitive dissonance from the families we know where the second generation (articulate, intelligent, but emphatically fundie) *is* embracing the lifestyle and appearing to make it work. I lorned out sook at them and wonder how such an outcome happened. ...because we had the same lifestyle, and turned out so very differently.

I pity them for their blindness, their distorted view, their hate that they think is actually loving. And they pity us because our kids are "no longer walking with the Lord."

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, lawlifelgbt said:

Does Hope have unrestricted Internet? Because I so want her to read the fanfic "Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness." Solidarity and defiance! It certainly gave me fight and helped me feel better after Cheeto brain got elected.

Oh my goodness, that takes me back - one of the weirdest internet rabbitholes of all time, the Andy Blake WTFery.  Call out the rescue ferrets, as this one has cults built around Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, and now I think Supernatural, Blake getting someone to tell their parents he'd committed suicide, really weird stuff about not just otakukin, but also Blake saying he was inhabited by the spirit of Orlando Bloom (IIRC) Elijah Wood, and an honest-to-god homicide.

Of course this isn't an objective read, but it's a jumping off-point

https://fanlore.org/wiki/Thanfiction

And more:

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/11883/the-strange-lives-of-andrew-blake/

(criticism of that article: https://fanlore.org/wiki/The_strange_lives_of_Andrew_Blake)

ETA:  Wrong LotR actor!  I am always fascinated by this story, because it's that small version of a cult of the personality, where the things Blake was telling his followers are completely unbelievable, but he's obviously got some charisma-thing going - and the multiple situations spiral out of control, so many times, and even after the tragedy of the homicide, he STILL was trying to raise money for dodgy-seeming projects, and moves on, every 5 or so years, to a new fandom, where he sets up stall again.  Definitely one of the cautionary tales of fandom.

Edited by Lurky
  • Upvote 3

Good for her all around and her sisters seem to be nice and I hope she has some friends to lean on. 

The comments on her admittance to being an atheist are wow though. 

InkedhpathGH_LI.jpg.852988c9a8f137b1767b36b1dc2b8e9d.jpgInkedhpatheist1_LI.jpg.53ff23fa4407e722800222dd421153c8.jpgInkedhpath10_LI.jpg.e644fb1346e663586719dc3c3c66860e.jpgInkedhpath3_LI.jpg.a2d1cd088c09e042c9381481e1c768a3.jpgInkedhpath5_LI.jpg.85cfb70745a6527fb44fe0f28b841f44.jpgInkedhpath6_LI.jpg.9ad7ee1094bcb72db063dd9a4d6e9b5d.jpgInkedhpath7_LI.jpg.e204055da0411a6973b7f32a2a2eb215.jpgInkedhpath9_LI.jpg.995360f757e6fcb9a9d660f5391bd5b7.jpg

• Upvote 5

On 4/18/2017 at 5:32 PM, Lurky said:

Oh my goodness, that takes me back - one of the weirdest internet rabbitholes of all time, the Andy Blake WTFery.  Call out the rescue ferrets, as this one has cults built around Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, and now I think Supernatural, Blake getting someone to tell their parents he'd committed suicide, really weird stuff about not just otakukin, but also Blake saying he was inhabited by the spirit of Orlando Bloom (IIRC) Elijah Wood, and an honest-to-god homicide.

Of course this isn't an objective read, but it's a jumping off-point

https://fanlore.org/wiki/Thanfiction

And more:

http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/11883/the-strange-lives-of-andrew-blake/

(criticism of that article: https://fanlore.org/wiki/The_strange_lives_of_Andrew_Blake)

ETA:  Wrong LotR actor!  I am always fascinated by this story, because it's that small version of a cult of the personality, where the things Blake was telling his followers are completely unbelievable, but he's obviously got some charisma-thing going - and the multiple situations spiral out of control, so many times, and even after the tragedy of the homicide, he STILL was trying to raise money for dodgy-seeming projects, and moves on, every 5 or so years, to a new fandom, where he sets up stall again.  Definitely one of the cautionary tales of fandom.

Actually, you weren't wrong, completely! According to the girl who was his main cult victim, after he ditched the Elijah Wood persona, it was an Orlando Bloom persona.

• Upvote 1

Copied and pasted the abuse post onto her facebook page. I wonder if I should set a timer to see how long it takes to get banned.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Copied and pasted the abuse post onto her facebook page. I wonder if I should set a timer to see how long it takes to get banned.

Let us know!

You posted it to Lisa's page though? That's where it belongs. 

Edited by Gobsmacked
Asked question

2 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

Let us know!

You posted it to Lisa's page though? That's where it belongs. 

I posted it on Pennington Point facebook page. I just copied and reposted it again. Still not banned. I wonder how long she will let this continue.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I posted it on Pennington Point facebook page. I just copied and reposted it again. Still not banned. I wonder how long she will let this continue.

She must be out. Or is planning her next Disney trip with another lucky son. Give her time.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

I can't see it. In fact, I don't see any posts by anyone other than pennington post/Lisa. And I couldn't find a "posts by others" button.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I can't see it. In fact, I don't see any posts by anyone other than pennington post/Lisa. And I couldn't find a "posts by others" button.

I can't see it either.  I am thinking she has it set so only she can see what people post to her wall.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Koala said:

I can't see it either.  I am thinking she has it set so only she can see what people post to her wall.  

I think that's the case, since I can't see it either. She must have her page set that way, so only those that agree with her get their comments up.

• Upvote 2

On 19 April 2017 at 1:46 AM, usedbicycle said:

Has this been posted here before? This guy cracks me up. 

I actually believe oils can trigger a placebo feeling of relaxation/joy/whatever if that's what your brain associates the smell with. 

But if Lisa is so keen on using the Good Lord's gift of plants for TRUE mind-altering relaxation, may I suggest a far more effective plant that is now legal in Colorado? ;)

Not related to Hope or Lisa but I'm pretty sure I've seen a video with this guy where he makes fun of people who eat 'gluten free' as a lifestyle as opposed to an actual need - he's hilarious!

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Since they are both Lisa Pennington's daughters, this post is really about Hope and Faith (Alecia)

http://thepenningtonpoint.com/2017/05/large-families-are-the-bomb/

Lisa wrote a blog post about Mother's Day this year, and that all 9 kids came to spend time with her at the house.
She also did a brief update on her relationship with Faith.
I've exploded my opinions on Lisa and the whole Pennington family on FJ before, so tell me what yall think.
Lisa has a pretty even keeled account of her relationship with Faith now, but I know that a large part of that is for her online image and YL brand.
Still, interesting post, interesting body language between all the kids, (Grace seems stuck to mommy dearest and probably holier than thou about Hope and Faith's new lack of religion/ sexuality)

FYI Grace is reading this book now she's a fundie married lady:

I read a bunch of reviews and excerpts, and it is the most misogynistic sexist bullshit i've ever seen, apparently many readers felt the same way.....but why should I be surprised she's reading this nonsense!?!?! :my_sick::pb_rollseyes: I'm not.

Anyway, the Penningtons for some reason became my pet fundies, and I figured you all would be interested in the latest update from Lisa, among other things.

• Upvote 7

"The big issues that she (Alecia Faith) had after she left (no birth certificate, no social security number, no other legal documentation of any kind, no education other than the SOTDRT) are behind her now (no thanks to her father and me!!!), and she is making her way in this big, grown-up world.

Fixed that for ya, Lisa!

• Upvote 14

@Marian the Librarian I was just about to say exactly the same thing. 

Holy shit, what a piece of work Lisa is - Alecia literally had to have a *law enacted* to get her identity recognised by the state, so she could study and work legally, get insurance, rent a home etc etc etc, when her parents could have signed the necessary affidavits, and helped her in her quest.  Ugh, it makes me sick.

I'm glad that Hope and Alecia are still allowed to see their siblings, because it must hurt so much to have been bought up isolated and enmeshed, and then cut off from sibs, especially if you are worried about them being abused.  

Somebody better give me some grandchildren before that happens!  I don’t care how much pressure they feel….I need it!

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH

• Upvote 7