IGNORED

Hope Pennington, atheist

16strong

Hope Pennington is not only an atheist, but also bisexual! What a path of discovery this year has been, go Hope!

As you can imagine, Lisa is having a very, very bad day. Thank God she has her Forgiveness oil.

Capture.PNG

Hope is being the epitome of grace with some responses on Facebook. I can't imagine how difficult this must be, she deserves a lot of credit. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by usedbicycle
added pic
  • Upvote 22

On 3/13/2017 at 1:11 PM, Feministe9000 said:

I read today on Hope's IG in her latest post, someone was asking if she was going to be moving back to Washington, but she said she is sticking around in Texas to get her SSN and then after that she "doesn't know".

I'm simply stunned that she does not yet have an SSN.  May she get one soon, soon, soon!  At least she can consult her sister on the process and the waiting and offer Faith some comfort in these rough times.  

This path out of fundy-dom can't be easy for either of them.  

• Upvote 9

Wow I guess she'd already shocked a lot of her more traditional "friends" on Facebook with the atheist announcement. Now this is a bigger announcement but hopefully she felt a little prepared for the likely reactions after the comments she saw on the earlier post.

Disappointed though in some of the reactions, especially those using the cry emoji for responses. I'm sure she was expecting those responses given the ones she received before. And I have little doubt Faith/Alecia will be supportive of any struggles with their family, especially their parents, given all she's been through.

• Upvote 4

In the second most recent pic on her IG, she talks a little about how as a teenager she struggled with body image, depression, and disordered eating. I imagine that's not uncommon in households headed by perfectionist narcissists like Lisa. But good lord, that throws some of these reactions into contrast, right? So much concern that she's abandoning the way she was raised, so little concern for the fact that the way she was raised was fucked up. These folks don't come out of the woodwork to tell a struggling, depressed teenager that they are praying for her, or to tell her controlling mother that she is in the wrong and needs to turn back towards God. But a healthy young woman who happens to be attracted to women? She must be rebuked! And her mother must be comforted!

Edit to add-- Lisa Pennington was also on facebook this morning talking about how United Airlines was actually right to assault that passenger. She just can't help but take the most mean-spirited path at every turn.

Edited by NachosFlandersStyle
  • Upvote 24

Of course Kelly Reins' knickers are in an instant judgmental twist: "Give up your depraved nature." 

Hope is behaving like a class act, and Kelly needs to mind her own damn business.

ETA: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Kelly didn't recommend Plexus Slim as a sure-fire cure for bisexuality! :pb_lol: 

(Hey, it's been PROVEN to eradicate Lyme disease, cancer, and the common cold. It's only a matter of time before it makes the front page of the New York Times.)

Edited by Marian the Librarian
Additional musings
  • Upvote 17

Kelly is a busybody.  There's a verse about that too.

And Lisa?  Honey, you're making yourself look silly.  Holding your forgiveness oil?  Really?  Get a grip.  Your daughter has nothing to be sorry for.  If anyone needs forgiveness, it's you, not her.

The good news:  You have at least 2 wonderful daughters, despite your shitty parenting.  That's a win.

Edited by Koala
  • Upvote 31

I actually have a Sim called Hope Pennington! I like the last name and the name Hope, and forgot that it was one of the actual girls' names.

In honor of this, I think I will make the Sim marry a woman (and possibly go out with dudes/use them to have a child). I love Sims drama!

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

Hope is being the epitome of grace with some responses on Facebook. I can't imagine how difficult this must be, she deserves a lot of credit. 

Capture.PNG

I agree that she deserves so much credit for such a mature reply. I'm boiling with rage for her over that reply, but she deals with it so gracefully. It reminds me of the grace and respect Faith/Alicia showed whilst her parents ranted and raved about her for wanting to live her own life. Not once did she speak ill about them, while they pointed fingers and behaved disgracefully.

So much respect for both of those girls! Its a shame the Pennington parents can't see how incredible their girls are. 

• Upvote 30

On 3/12/2017 at 10:28 PM, VVV said:

Does Hope still live at home, and was she ever able to get a delayed birth certificate and a social security number? I remember checking the Texas birth registry awhile back (it goes through 1997) under the name Sublett (James Pennington's birth surname which he changed sometime in the last 20 years), and only one Pennington/Sublett child is listed--Patience. I worry that the Penningtentiary parents wardens may be giving lip service to acceptance but keeping Hope's legal identity in reserve to use as a weapon.

I had seen that about Alecia Faith's boyfriend's death and was wondering if it was suicide. How unbearably painful for her, for his family, and for all who loved him and/or love her. Clearly Lisa Pennington isn't in the latter category.

It was suicide. It's mentioned in the fundraising link she posted. 

Ah, nothing like using this news to shill more essential oils!!  Considering what a grave thing this would be in their (messed up - SO SO messed up) minds I love that Lisa still saw the $hill opportunity in it.

Hope is full of class and grace.  It's an absolute credit to her that she's like this despite Lisa.

• Upvote 15

Hoooooooly fuck. WHYWHYWHY did I read the spanking post. If my toddler didn't say "hi mummy" back to me, I'd probably just laugh and go "awww feeling a bit grumpy today?" and carry right on. 

Words cannot express how much of a bitch Lisa is.

• Upvote 24

Good for her. It cant be easy growing up bi in a fundie family. Im glad she is able now to be open about this part of her identity, and be free to date whoever she wants.

Hope and Alecia Faith are so much more mature than their own mother is, they both responded to things in such a graceful manner, and being respectful about their family and still fundie friends beliefs and encouraging people not to attack them in their name. The mother on the other hand, has been nothing but horrible, whiny and narcissistic about it. Theyre kind and intelligent young ladies, and I am glad they are free from the fundie life.

• Upvote 16

Hope Pennington is not only an atheist, but also bisexual! What a path of discovery this year has been, go Hope!
As you can imagine, Lisa is having a very, very bad day. Thank God she has her Forgiveness oil.

Capture.PNG.b7e7bf815773bbccb0860aa1eff01532.PNG
Capture.PNG.f3973cf3a5744f97e32d843b4df2a21a.PNG

Well ...

I have to say, if I was in Hope's position, I could not be so gracious with my response. Isn't this how 'Christians' claim to behave? Hope has just blown them all away - proof that you don't require a belief system to be a good, caring person.

As for you Lisa, once again you're a farce and you don't deserve the good people that your children are. And one day you may miss them, if you have room in your narcissistic heart for that.
  • Upvote 17

Looking at the labels on Lisa's YL oil bottles, does "therapeutic-grade" have any real meaning? 

Screenshot 2017-04-13 at 7.35.58 AM.png

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Looking at the labels on Lisa's YL oil bottles, does "therapeutic-grade" have any real meaning? 

Screenshot 2017-04-13 at 7.35.58 AM.png

No, the words "therapeutic grade" have no real meaning at all.

• Upvote 9

I'm posting this here (even though it's 15min long) because it answers a lot of our questions about the girls' SSN ordeal. Looks like Hope finally got her paperwork, at the age of 23! The whole situation is incredibly sad, especially her stint in Washington state, where she was essentially homeless, crashing on couches, and spending entire days at Starbucks and grocery stores. 

She also mentions not all of the Pennington children were born without a birth certificate. She won't say who, but I have a pretty strong feeling that the boys were registered at birth. Some of the older ones attend college I believe.

Anyway, what these parents have done to their girls is nothing short of abuse.

• Upvote 19

Well done Hope for being so strong. 

I'm so glad she is in the guest house and not the main house. 

Its amazing that both Hope and Faith have survived their upbringing and managed to keep so much of themselves. 

Has Lisa been fibbing when she mentioned In her adult children at home posts that the kids can borrow the car when SHE decides? 

Hope is just learning to drive. Faith had no paperwork either so she wasn't driving. I'm guessing the brothers had all their paperwork from day one. 

There really are no words for the Pennington parents. 

• Upvote 9

So Hope is homeless because of her parents' shitty decisions and they show no remorse whatsoever but when Hope comes out as Bi then Lisa plays the victim. 

Fuck her.

• Upvote 14

So, is Hope still in their guest house? Because I am pretty worried about her coming out and then still being around such a fundie family as hers. Given she is about to get her ID complete, what if her parents hold getting the ID against her, like saying "repent/go to conversion therapy if you want the document."

i just hope she has someone to tell her it's okay, and not bad or wrong. Ms. Lawlifelgbt is bi, so this thing with Hope hits me right in the feels.

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, usedbicycle said:

I'm posting this here (even though it's 15min long) because it answers a lot of our questions about the girls' SSN ordeal. Looks like Hope finally got her paperwork, at the age of 23! The whole situation is incredibly sad, especially her stint in Washington state, where she was essentially homeless, crashing on couches, and spending entire days at Starbucks and grocery stores. 

She also mentions not all of the Pennington children were born without a birth certificate. She won't say who, but I have a pretty strong feeling that the boys were registered at birth. Some of the older ones attend college I believe.

Anyway, what these parents have done to their girls is nothing short of abuse.

I don't know about the younger boys because they were born after 1997, which is as far as the online Texas birth index extends at ancestry.com, but looking up children of James Sublett (his original last name) and Lisa Southworth yields only one child, Patience, born in 1997. So none of the older siblings, not even their golden firstborn son unless he was born outside of Texas (unlikely), were registered at birth.

Edited by VVV
fix typo and clarify
  • Upvote 4

Lisa's parents and sister helped Faith to get laws changed so that the girls could escape,hopefully they are supporting Hope also.

I don't feel that the Pennington parents will muddy the waters too much now that Hope is back living on family property.  Hope has started driving lessons I'm presuming in a family owned vehicle. That's a positive.

Lisa has her books to sell! She has to keep a happy facade up to keep the $$$$rolling in.

Lisa will have to console her passive-aggressive self by flaunting forgiveness oils etc. 

What Pennington daddy feels about Hope we have yet to find out.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, lawlifelgbt said:

So, is Hope still in their guest house? Because I am pretty worried about her coming out and then still being around such a fundie family as hers. Given she is about to get her ID complete, what if her parents hold getting the ID against her, like saying "repent/go to conversion therapy if you want the document."

i just hope she has someone to tell her it's okay, and not bad or wrong. Ms. Lawlifelgbt is bi, so this thing with Hope hits me right in the feels.

I believe she's waiting to earn her own money to get out of there asap, it seems like she really wants her own place. She just got a job (as in yesterday) at a coffee shop! I can't imagine the tension at the Pennington home right now, but at least her parents haven't kicked her out yet. Surely because Lisa is deathly afraid of bad publicity and hopes she'll leave soon anyway.

• Upvote 7

Despite the situation that their parents out then in without IDs, they do seem to be reasonably well educated, intelligent, resourceful, hard working and can think critically. Which is far more than you can say about a lot of the other family's discussed on here. Imagine Nurie Rodriquez wanting to leave the family fold and get her own apartment. I don't know if she has legal id or not, but I highly doubt she has any of the emotional intelligence the Pennington girls have shown in working to change their situation. And of course she didn't have the critical thinking skills to even want to explain her beliefs and situation.

I have jokingly said to my kids before, "why did I ever want you to think for yourself?" Because raising non-thinkers would be a lot easier at times. It's chilling to think some families intentionally keep their kids from thinking critically. I wonder if the pennington parents feel they made a mistake by teaching them to think critically? Or perhaps it's a matter of intelligence, and for the second generation to embrace the lifestyle of the parents there has to be a lower level of intelligence? 

• Upvote 6

On 2017.04.12. at 10:54 PM, usedbicycle said:

Capture.PNG

Hope is amazing. I was raging in anger on her part while reading that comment. 

• Upvote 9

So let me get this straight.

The Penningtons robbed their children of their identities in order to control them.

When Hope broke free of them, she had to live like a homeless person, because of the choices her parents made.

Meanwhile, Lisa was prancing around Disney, posting endless selfies of her (ridiculous) hairstyles.  

Do I have that right?

Have I mentioned that Lisa is ridiculous?  Because yeah....there are no words.

She should have been spending every.waking.second trying to help the daughters she ROBBED!

• Upvote 16