IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: She's in Shorts?!

choralcrusader8613

Btw those aren't jean shorts. They are navy with little white dots all over them. Which is kind of cute in my opinion. I also wear long shorts. I'm more modest than most fundies :-/

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I don't want to be a party pooper, but Jinger is not the first Duggar daughter to be sighted in shorts. Jessa also wore shorts, I believe when she was pregnant with Spurgeon. She was at a pool party and they were a similar length to Jinger's.

What else would she wear? A bikini? She wore men's boardshorts to go swimming. This is Jinger out in public in shorts, when it would be "expected" of her to wear a dress/skirt. These are women's shorts that hit above the knee at that and she intentionally wore them out in public. 

I'm not really surprised Jinger has strayed from the skirts. It seems to be pretty standard in Fundieland that each family unit (husband, wife, kids) have their own modesty standards/particular religious convictions, and kids are free to rework their standards once they establish their own household. (In moderate ways, of course.) I remember Jessa and Ben talking about how they were exploring their beliefs together and figuring out their standards shortly after they were married.

However, I am surprised how QUICKLY Jinger embraced sleeveless tops, pants, etc...like literally on her honeymoon! Makes you think she had her eye on more mainstream fashion for a while, and had worked out any moral qualms with it long before her marriage. I'm sure she would justify the sudden change by saying she wanted to honor her parents' convictions while living under their roof, which is respectful I suppose.

48 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

I'm not really ready to call her free yet, but wow, shorts in early March. That's commitment to wearing shorts. I live in So. Cal and we aren't quite into all shorts yet for the year.

We have had the weirdest winter in Texas this year, mostly warm. I hope Jinger finds some skorts. I wear them almost the entire summer. Some of mine are a bit longer and a friend said she thought I wore skirts all the time so I lifted it up to show her the shorts. Of course I wear mine with tank tops mostly......I guess that would be pushing it for Jinger.

2 minutes ago, unicorncastle said:

What else would she wear? A bikini? She wore men's boardshorts to go swimming. This is Jinger out in public in shorts, when it would be "expected" of her to wear a dress/skirt. These are women's shorts that hit above the knee at that and she intentionally wore them out in public. 

Okay, so I'm getting the sense that a lot of people here haven't been following the Duggars or fundies in general very long. She would wear wholesome wear, which is what she always wore before she was married.

There is no way to say she has gained weight.   That video showed her from the neck up.  Jinger has always had a full face and with her hair up, it is more noticeable.  Seeing her in the shorts, it is obvious she hasn't gained much if any. 

And, I do think this is an encouraging sign.   Jeremy's mom wear pants as does his sister and likely they wear shorts as well.  While Jeremy might be controlling, I don't see him being the kind of controlling where she has to ask her permission to wear shorts.  If Jeremy has any say about her clothing it is more likely that he wants her to look fashionable and modern because he seems to be somewhat into style and fashion.  He may well be encouraging her to try different things, but I seriously doubt that if Jinger wanted to stay with maxi dresses and denim skirts that he would insist she wear shorts. 

This was Jinger's choice. And the fact that she did it in public and allowed photos means she wants people to notice, especially her parents. 

I would love to know JB and M's reaction, but more than that I wonder about Jessa's.  She seems so rigid.  And just because she wore shorts swimming or snowpants doesn't mean much.   The only thing she has done to really step away from her awful parents' influence is not cut Spuds hair.  I guess her being a good sport about Ben's foray into Rap music is a bit of step away also.  Though she was clearly uncomfortable. 

I agree with many posters that this doesn't prove that jinger is going "fundie-lite" or becoming a feminist.

However, I do like the fact that her wearing shorts casually in public (and not for swimming or water sports) proves that the Duggar "modesty standards" are NOT a "personal conviction made by each daughter". This proves that the modesty standards are not every Duggar girl's personal choice, but one mandated by Jim Bob and Michelle

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

We've been there, done that. Alyssa Bates Webster is a good example of fundie royalty who started wearing pants... And that was pretty much it.

They did say the "only" wanted 6 children as well 

14 minutes ago, unicorncastle said:

Something like this if I remember correctly. So yeah Jessa was taking a step away with her board shorts. 

c775637e2532f8d90b64f3b66227be55.jpg

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Okay, so I'm getting the sense that a lot of people here haven't been following the Duggars or fundies in general very long. She would wear wholesome wear, which is what she always wore before she was married.

I was being obtuse, I know what they would normally wear. I guess I don't give Jessa credit for wearing shorts because she was wearing men's board shorts to accommodate the activity she was doing. Just like all them mentions of the snow pants and shorts while kayaking. Jessa has never worn shorts intentionally, as an outfit, for no other reason but to wear shorts.  Also, it may be common for other fundie families, it's NOT common for the Duggars. So to me, this is a pretty big deal. 

I don't know that we can say whether or not this was Jinger's choice unless SHE talks about it.

I think that Jeremy, who comes from a more modernly dressed family, would like Jinger to to dress more like a modern preacher's wife. I think he's had a lot to do with Jinge's new style. 

Either way, I think it's too soon to read too much into it.

Jessa listens to Christian hip hop. That was a huge no-no at the TTH. I'd argue it might even be a bigger deal than wearing shorts. I don't think I need to tell anyone that Ben and Jessa are still very much fundies.

I think it's great that Jinger is expanding her wardrobe choices. I think it's great that Jessa listens to more than just hymns and classical piano pieces. I think it's great that Jill married someone with a university degree. I hope they all leave fundamentalism. Just at this moment, I'm not holding my breath.

3 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I don't want to be a party pooper, but Jinger is not the first Duggar daughter to be sighted in shorts. Jessa also wore shorts, I believe when she was pregnant with Spurgeon. She was at a pool party and they were a similar length to Jinger's.

Weren't those bathing shorts? And wasn't she in the privacy of her family's pool?

Totally different, IMO-

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

You do all understand that not all dyed in the wool Fundies are skirts-only?  Skirts-only was a "conviction" for a few.  Pa and Ma Duggar among them - but they were among the minority in the IBLP crowd many of whom have had women wearing  pants for years.

It is not the way they dress - it is the beliefs they profess and try to force upon the rest of us.

Wake me up when Jinger goes pro choice, not anti-GLBTQ, gets a real education, and speaks out against IBLP.  

Not when she wears rather unflattering knee length shorts.  In public, by a pool, or not.  It's nothing.  Sorry.

For regular people, true, but for a Duggar girl in shorts, in public, is a big change- a bold step.

19 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Maybe she didn't want to spend the $$$$ on modest maternity wear.

Don't know if this has been already mentioned but Jinger has worn pants before. The pic is from a few years ago. 

IMG_2477.JPG

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Jess wore mens swim shorts at a FAMILY pool party . Jinger is out in public. Duggar girls seem to avoid being seen in pants in public. Though I do think they are wearing them at home even if they put a skirt over them if boob or DQ make a fuss. I don't think this is her setting free, but this is her expressing her OWN style.  That is a nice step, and more than we've seen so far. 

Gotta start breaking free somewhere. It's not like she was going to start by running through a bar doing shots with a rainbow flag before registering for college biology classes.  Baby steps.... without the BABY!

I understand why clothing is not the most important aspect of being a fundie. I understand why we need to remind some people of that. I do NOT understand why some people, however, seem to think fashion changes aren't worth discussing. Just because it's not a means to an end doesn't mean there aren't merits to dressing more modern or utilitarian. We don't all think pants = new beginnings and leaving Fundieland behind. But we do see the point of discussing these changes. It's a notable aspect of the "evolution" WITHIN the fundie world (not OUT of it). Also, we aren't just some gossip site, but sometimes it beats discussing periods, duvets, or tater tot casserole for the umpteenth time; and we happen to have a new piece of evidence to inspect right now. 

17 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Jessa listens to Christian hip hop. That was a huge no-no at the TTH. I'd argue it might even be a bigger deal than wearing shorts. I don't think I need to tell anyone that Ben and Jessa are still very much fundies.

I think it's great that Jinger is expanding her wardrobe choices. I think it's great that Jessa listens to more than just hymns and classical piano pieces. I think it's great that Jill married someone with a university degree. I hope they all leave fundamentalism. Just at this moment, I'm not holding my breath.

Jessa endures the Christian Hip Hop that Ben likes to listen to.  She has said it isn't her type of music. 

Ben may drag Jessa kicking and screaming into the world a bit more, but she herself, is fairly rigid.  The only thing that I think may soften her is her children.  Unless she keeps having them close together, then she will go back to being Jessa the organizer and will delegate the child care to her older children. 

Someone mentioned that maybe Jimbob should put the dress wearing thing in his questionaire and to be honestly I could see him do that.  I kind of wonder if he does get that detailed, and if so,  would Jeremy have fun just one by one doing the opposite of what he agreed to do on that marriage application.  I would so enjoy seeing Jeremy do that.  In a subtle way; in a clever way, that JB can't speak out against; Just to watch him squirm. 

5 minutes ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Don't know if this has been already mentioned but Jinger has worn pants before. The pic is from a few years ago. 

IMG_2477.JPG

Some people thought she had on a cotton yoga-type skirt (kind of hiked up) over the pants. I remember being convinced myself that she did have on an exercise skirt as well (but you just couldn't see it from this angle/position). Maybe she didn't after all, but I'm still unsure. 

16 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Jessa listens to Christian hip hop.

Hey everyone.  My first post.  

I started checking out fundie music and I didn't know which I would like the least between the Christian hip hop or the bates, Lawson bates country.  So at first I youtubed it, and I was just like....wow! This is bad..

Later, I happened on studio work for them and I ended up going with the bates country cd and even crazier is that some people I know actually like it too.  Not the overly fundie songs but the more normal ones. 

my point being Christian hip hop to me is just ..unnatural 

Just now, calimojo said:

Jessa endures the Christian Hip Hop that Ben likes to listen to.  She has said it isn't her type of music. 

And maybe Jinger wears certain articles of clothing because her headship Jeremy likes her to.

Ben listens to Christian hip hop and loves it. And he's still a fundie. Jill married a guy who went to university, has only one sibling, and whose mother wears pants. Still fundies. Josh started wearing shorts after he got married. Well, I guess Josh took more than a few baby steps away from fundamentalism, but they were in the wrong direction...

Just now, singsingsing said:

And maybe Jinger wears certain articles of clothing because her headship Jeremy likes her to.

Ben listens to Christian hip hop and loves it. And he's still a fundie. Jill married a guy who went to university, has only one sibling, and whose mother wears pants. Still fundies. Josh started wearing shorts after he got married. Well, I guess Josh took more than a few baby steps away from fundamentalism, but they were in the wrong direction...

Is anyone saying they aren't still fundies? I think people just enjoy discussing the changes. For instance, you make good points: Does Jeremy like her in shorts? Or did she always want to wear shorts, but JB forbid it (not that that makes her less "fundie"? OR, did she wear shorts/pants all along, but it was never captured on camera/video (except perhaps the old track pants pic shared above)? I'm curious about the "whys." 

2 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Is anyone saying they aren't still fundies? I think people just enjoy discussing the changes. For instance, you make good points: Does Jeremy like her in shorts? Or did she always want to wear shorts, but JB forbid it (not that that makes her less "fundie"? OR, did she wear shorts/pants all along, but it was never captured on camera/video (except perhaps the old track pants pic shared above)? I'm curious about the "whys." 

The same reason she has done everything since she got married, because her headship wanted it. Jeremy already posted a video of a sermon where he said that he doesn't care about wearing pants or drinking wine. So Jinger has his permission. Do you think she would do it if she didn't? 

51 minutes ago, unicorncastle said:

What else would she wear? A bikini? She wore men's boardshorts to go swimming. 

Also, bear in mind that Jessa may not have had much choice - not sure if the modesty swimwear would have fitted her while pregnant.

So I do give Jinger some points for this but I'm still not popping the champagne yet.

After all - it's really just the continuation of what looks to be a move away from fundamentalism but is only really a move away from Gothardism. 

5 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Yes, there are people rejoicing that Jinger wearing shorts is a sure sign of her impending freedom from fundiedom. That's what I'm arguing against, not being excited that she's wearing shorts. I'm excited that she's wearing shorts too! I think it's great!

Really, it's a moot point. Let people believe the shorts means she's going rogue. If they're wrong, they'll figure it out sooner or later. If they're right I'll rejoice along with them. Personally I'm guessing she'll be more or less another Alyssa Bates. Time will tell.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived