IGNORED

Sister Wives is back!!!

DamnPrecious

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor Hunter. He just looks so sad. He needs someone to actually take the time to talk to him instead of trying to force a conversation as he's returning home from school, especially with cameras rolling. He is obviously hurting and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do is talk about it all on camera. That should be a private conversation.

Kody drives me crazy. He acts like he wants to hear everyone's opinion about something, but the moment someone acts like they might think differently than him, he's done listening. I feel sorry for Hunter, too. Being a teenager sucks at times and having your non-traditional lifestyle hung up for all to see can't be helping. I don't even like kids and I just want to scoop him up and let him live with me.

Hunter really has me worried. Teens are so vulnerable anyway and he's on the edge. I think that getting a counselor for him, and maybe for all the older kids would be a really good idea. He might also be holding a lot in because he's seeing how miserable his mom is.

The one good thing - they do have the house back in Lehi. They should just all move back there and leave Kodi & Robyn in Vegas.

I think rent is pretty inexpensive in Vegas right now...there are SO many empty houses everywhere. We were there for a football tourny 2 years ago and it was bad then. They way over built, expecting a boom, and then reality hit. But - when none of the parents are working I can see how this will be scary. Hopefully Jenelle and Meri are the ones controlling all the money because they seem to be the most level headed.

Austin, I believe the D.A. had said that they would not be pursuing any charges against Kody the day BEFORE they left screaming out of Utah (there was a lot of talk on TWOP about this). Kody is just a douche-bag fame whore wanting to ramp up the drama with his hysterics about how the law was coming to get them. Every single adult (and I use that term loosely) in this family makes me nauseous.

I'm watching the episode now.

Christine is looking like a jerk on this episode. Sending their children to the sharks. . .? Good lawd.

If Hunter was my son, I'd be very concerned about him. Obviously, football is not the answer to his issues or the way he's feeling.

ETA: Is Robyn going to whine or cry every time someone doesn't agree with her? And I agree with the poster who said that Kody is really only interested in others who agree with him.

Meri has a 3 bedroom house, which is pretty normal these days. A bedroom for her and Kody, a bedroom for Mariah, a bedroom for guests (they do all have grandma's etc, that need a room to stay in when they visit.. Meri is the only one that has an extra? They have family gatherings at her house. Did you expect her to move to a condo or an apartment?

The truth is that Kody, for all his outbursts about morals (a co-ed pool party just about gave him a heart attack), wanted to be in sin city. He should have known that Las Vegas isn't poly central and wouldn't have a house big enought for them all, and wouldn't have a home church for them, etc, etc,

I sensed that Janelle was really, really over Robyn. After all, she's been living "the life" for years now and here comes Robyn-come-lately tearily proclaiming that they need to sacrifice for "the life". If looks could kill, Robyn would be dead and Janelle would be in the clink.

I really feel for Janelle. I get the feeling that a lot of her identity and self worth was tied up in her job, and she seems lost without it. I hope that she can find something soon.. does anyone know what type of work she did before? I know pre-Robyn, Meri was in school and Christine was the "home mom" and Janelle worked, but I'm not sure what sort of work she did.

I really feel for Janelle. I get the feeling that a lot of her identity and self worth was tied up in her job, and she seems lost without it. I hope that she can find something soon.. does anyone know what type of work she did before? I know pre-Robyn, Meri was in school and Christine was the "home mom" and Janelle worked, but I'm not sure what sort of work she did.

According to HollywoodLife, Janelle was the sole proprietor for a company called E Z Pantry- the description reads that they "provide, market, design, sell or trade in the food storage industry.†I guess that makes sense, seeing as both the LDS, FLDS and other offshoots all believe in having at least a year's worth of non-perishable food stuff saved in case of an apocalypse. I think a lot goes into keeping that storage up and making sure things get eaten before they expire. Check out this little LDS food calculator- http://familysurvivors.com/lds-food-storage.htm#lds-mormon-food-storage-lds - it's a ridiculous amount of food that they are expected to keep, store and rotate out. And since most Mormons have large families, that's an insane quantity to maintain- so I bet she made a killing out in Utah! I don't think Las Vegas is catering to the same clientele that they had in Utah.

If I were here I would be so so pissed at Kody. Here she is the owner of a thriving successful company in a niche market and then he "marries" Robyn, convinces everyone to out themselves as polygamists on national TV, and then when things don't go as planned, he makes them all move to place where her company could never be sustainable, as the majority of their niche market is only in Utah. I really felt bad for her last night.

Source- http://www.hollywoodlife.com/2010/10/15/sister-wives-janelle-money-income-tlc-people-pantry-kody-brown/

Meri has a 3 bedroom house, which is pretty normal these days. A bedroom for her and Kody, a bedroom for Mariah, a bedroom for guests (they do all have grandma's etc, that need a room to stay in when they visit.. Meri is the only one that has an extra? They have family gatherings at her house. Did you expect her to move to a condo or an apartment?

The truth is that Kody, for all his outbursts about morals (a co-ed pool party just about gave him a heart attack), wanted to be in sin city. He should have known that Las Vegas isn't poly central and wouldn't have a house big enought for them all, and wouldn't have a home church for them, etc, etc,

A 3-bedroom, single-family house is only "normal" for upper- and middle-class families, or people who live in rural or suburban areas. Many, many families with children live in apartments and condos and don't feel like it's some kind of punishment. It's not unreasonable to expect a small family to live in one if they are tight on money, especially when the husband will only be there part-time.

I wonder why they didn't move to Idaho, Arizona or New Mexico. Those states have polyg communities. Las Vegas, NV has little to offer other than heat, unemployment and gambling. I understand that TLC must be appeased and FLDS have a long history and fear of prosecution, so I understand the Let's Move Now! freak out. However, damn Kody think things through once in a while.

A 3-bedroom, single-family house is only "normal" for upper- and middle-class families, or people who live in rural or suburban areas. Many, many families with children live in apartments and condos and don't feel like it's some kind of punishment. It's not unreasonable to expect a small family to live in one if they are tight on money, especially when the husband will only be there part-time.

This was addressed on the show. Meri wanted a good sized house to accommodate all the family. She is part of that entire family, and saying she and her daughter had to live in an apartment or tiny house would be like punishing her for only having one child. The sister wives supported Meri in getting a house that she wanted, as she is an equal wife and mom to the entire family.

I think they should have only gotten two houses. If Meri shared with Janelle and Robyn with Christine it could have worked. They would have needed one four bedroom and one five bedroom. Yes they would not have a lot of extra space and the kids would probably need to squeeze together on bunkbeds BUT the family finances are horribly strained. And honestly compared to a lot of the fundies the rooms wouldn't be bad at all.

Room 1-Meri

Room 2-Janelle

Room 3- Mariah (15) Madison (15) and Savanah (6)

Room 4-Logan (16), Hunter (14), Garrison (12), and Gabriel (9)

Room 1-Christine and Truely

Room 2-Robyn and the new baby

Room 3-Aspyn (15) and Mykelti (14)

Room 4-Gwendlyn (9), Ysabel (7), Aurora (9) and Breanna (7)

Room 5-Paedon (12) and Dayton (12)

Meri is first wife is she not? Putting her in an apartment might be an insult to Kody or some such nonsense. besides if Vegas has that many foreclosures then there will be cheap rentals.

And he is the dumbest penishood holder EVER. :doh:

This family befuddles me to no end.

The first three "wives" seem to be reasonably intelligent, independent thinkers. What the hell do they see in that ditzy, bleached blond overgrown teenager?

He's not the strong alpha male type, and he's certainly not helping breed good looks or intelligence into the gene pool. It doesn't sound as though he was able to support the brood without substantial financial help from one of the women (and now the show, of course). And I doubt a guy with the emotional IQ of a 15 year old boy could be all that good in bed.

So what is it, ladies? You like the sisterhood. Fine. You've had your kids, so go do the Kate and Allie thing now if you want to raise them together. By leaving Kooky Kody behind, you won't have to worry about the law or pregnant new young thangs invading your space, and you can even let your kids be Presbyterian if you want.

(I'm guessing TLC set up the meeting with the Presbyterian minister. While I feel sorry for the kids for getting so many screwed up, mixed messages solely for the sake of reality TV, it was pretty funny.)

Janelle had the pantry business, but I believe her full-time job was with the state of Utah, so she gave up a LOT. I'm sure she had really good insurance with the state and a reasonable paycheck.

Someone on TWOP found out that the four adults are trying to get into real estate sales now. You can't make it up!

I understand they were trying to get away from the 'scrutiny' of Utah, but I have no idea why they went to Las Vegas - it has one of the worst economys in the country, including the highest forclosure and unemployment rates. Everyone in Vegas is struggling. Didn't they do any research? Didn't they plan this out at all?

They should have gone to Idaho, Oregon or Arizona. All of those states have large Mormon populations- not that they would go the LDS route- but there would be way more people their kids could socialize with that have the same, or similar values. I really don't understand why they didn't go to Idaho since that's where Kody's mom and dad and Janelle's mom live. And they are all part of the AUB, so there would be other polygamist families, churches and home schools there for them. Not to mention, since there is a large LDS and AUB population, Janelle could have kept her food storage business running. Las Vegas should have been the last place they considered.

They should have gone to Idaho, Oregon or Arizona. All of those states have large Mormon populations- not that they would go the LDS route- but there would be way more people their kids could socialize with that have the same, or similar values. I really don't understand why they didn't go to Idaho since that's where Kody's mom and dad and Janelle's mom live. And they are all part of the AUB, so there would be other polygamist families, churches and home schools there for them. Not to mention, since there is a large LDS and AUB population, Janelle could have kept her food storage business running. Las Vegas should have been the last place they considered.

It's not stupid to me. Las Vegas and suburbs, particularly Henderson, has a significant Mormon population. There's been a Mormon temple in LV for a few decades now (more recently, one built in Reno as well). Granted, as polygamists, and members of the AUB, they'd probably have been better off moving to Montana, but Kody yearns for those bright lights.

Personally, pulling all those kids out of Utah because of some possible threat of prosecution was, well, crazy. I know Kody's got himself a high-powered lawyer (Jonathan Turley), who has filed a pre-emptive suit against the state, which infuriates me to no end. Turley teaches constitutional law. He knows much better what I learned in constitutional law decades ago--the federal courts are not going to touch a case like this unless there are real consequences. And in this case, just merely having some DA mouth off to the press about how he's "investigating the Browns" is simply not enough. The Browns have to have some skin in the game (and no, running off to Vegas is not skin in the game, IMHO). What that usually means is that they have to be arrested, tried and convicted for practicing polygamy, none of which are sure things. Ever since the 1960s, no polygamist has been hauled into court in Utah for "unlawful cohabitation," but for something else, like child sexual assault or fraud on the state welfare system. Even in Texas, every one of those convictions gotten so far has been for some variation of child sexual assault, and not for polygamy. (Although it's coming, Warren Jeffs is being prosecuted soonish for bigamy.)

I heard through the grapevine that the AUB (the church Kody supposedly belongs to) leadership was not awfully happy about this legal maneuvering, because it's their belief that Reynolds v. US has to be overturned to practice polygamy legally. (As I told the person who told me this, *hello*, Utah is a state now, you're not going to get a direct overturn of Reynolds because that occurred when Utah was a federal territory. If I was inclined to believe that the AUB had a direct line to heaven--and I'm not--I'd be doubting it by now because surely God would have explained the difference between a territory and a state to their prophet, no?) Personally, I think the AUB leadership is chapped about the unwanted attention on their way of life.

Agreed re Hunter -- I'm not sure if it's just his "look" but every time they showed him it looked like he'd just finished a crying jag.

It seems to me the choice of 4 houses is odd but they obviously have worked hard to keep the subfamilies separated -- In the house in Lehi each mom had a separate space of rher and her kids - no kids shared rooms that didn't also share a mom.

The youth group idea was stupid but I appreciated TLC showing a bit more of a three-dimensional picture of the family.

Archived