IGNORED

Tim Robertson and Tabitha Paine: April Fool's?

choralcrusader8613

@louisa05,  Pyrex double-boilers were a thing, at one time, and in the film The Best Years of Our Lives,  Theresa Wright makes Dana Andrews scrambled eggs in a glass skillet.

@Palimpsest,  I can get lost on the Replacements website for hours looking at China patterns and reading about the different pieces of silverware. 

@Four is Enough, my husband regularly makes his morning eggs in a Revere ware skillet we've had since we got married.  I don't know what became of my RW saucepans, but I still have and use my Dutch Oven although I need to put one handle back on it.  One of my neighbors collects old Revere ware.

• Upvote 6

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:17 PM, Closed Womb said:

She might not be getting a shower, given that he is older and has (presumably) an established home.   I got married when I was in my mid-30's and my late husband was in his early 40's.  We had two of everything we needed, so after a decade of throwing and attending dozens of bridal and baby showers, I didn't get one of my own (I wasn't bitter at the time, since we didn't need anything, but since he ended up dying before our 10th anniversary, it now seems like another thing in the long list of things I've been denied in the marriage game.)

I just got married for the first time at 43. People made some of those noises but I told my sister and best friend that, in no uncertain terms I would be having a shower and they needed to make it happen. I told her "I have been attending and throwing baby/wedding showers for 25 years and I damn well want my party!"  And I got it.

I let them off the hook with the bachelorette party. At 43 the idea of staying up and drinking until 3 a.m., listening to pounding music all night and have strange men take off their clothes and gyrate at me is not my idea of a good time. Although to be honest, it wouldn't have been a good time for me at 23 either.

• Upvote 43

17 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@louisa05,  Pyrex double-boilers were a thing, at one time, and in the film The Best Years of Our Lives,  Theresa Wright makes Dana Andrews scrambled eggs in a glass skillet.

@Palimpsest,  I can get lost on the Replacements website for hours looking at China patterns and reading about the different pieces of silverware. 

@Four is Enough, my husband regularly makes his morning eggs in a Revere ware skillet we've had since we got married.  I don't know what became of my RW saucepans, but I still have and use my Dutch Oven although I need to put one handle back on it.  One of my neighbors collects old Revere ware.

My mother still has most of the Revere ware she got when she was married in 1957. We made her get rid of the dutch oven piece because the handles had finally fallen apart after so much hot oven use and the metal edges were dangerous. But not before I found her a like-new replacement at a thrift store. :pb_lol:

And I still use the Revere ware I got as a wedding gift in 1987. It still looks almost new even though I use it daily. That stuff just never wears out.

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, frugaldreams said:

I just got married for the first time at 43. People made some of those noises but I told my sister and best friend that, in no uncertain terms I would be having a shower and they needed to make it happen. I told her "I have been attending and throwing baby/wedding showers for 25 years and I damn well want my party!"  And I got it.

I let them off the hook with the bachelorette party. At 43 the idea of staying up and drinking until 3 a.m., listening to pounding music all night and have strange men take off their clothes and gyrate at me is not my idea of a good time. Although to be honest, it wouldn't have been a good time for me at 23 either.

I suppose you could've had a classy bachelorette party ;-) Just a bunch of ladies going to a wine tasting getting sloshed! And everyone home and in bed by midnight. 

• Upvote 8

9 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I suppose you could've had a classy bachelorette party ;-) Just a bunch of ladies going to a wine tasting getting sloshed! And everyone home and in bed by midnight. 

I call that Friday night :)

• Upvote 28

3 hours ago, frugaldreams said:

That is exactly how I felt about the shower when I got married. I went to twenty million of them, helped throw at least five. I bought gifts for all of it. I wore the ugly bridesmaid dresses. And a couple of people had the nerve to claim I shouldn't get to do any of it because it wasn't on the age timeline they think it should have been. Screw that. 

No bachelorette party, though. Same reason. A small group of us went out to dinner and had drinks and everyone was home by 10 p.m. That was enough. And would have been at 25 or so when most of my friends got married and thought I should have. 

• Upvote 22

My "bachelorette party" if you can call it that was at the spa! It was the best day. We had pedicures, manicures, facials and lunch just my sister, best friend and mom. It was AWESOME! And so me. I'm the be in bed by 9pm and no loud music ever kinda lady so any sort of party would not be fun to me. 

• Upvote 13

A friend and I were planning a fake Hen Night (bachelorette party), where we could get a bunch of women together to do everything tacky and tasteless, all the things we'd never do for a serious wedding, but with full on "bride" in L-plates, veil, costumes, penis deely-boppers, bad games, everything....  I should actually make that happen....

• Upvote 8

For my bachelorette party, we got bridesmaids and some other friends to a beach destination a drive away and rented an AirBnB with a pool. Hung out, did the wine tasting, a nice dinner, a sloppy drunk night... it was the weekend after labor day, so it was kind of a last hurrah of the summer for everyone, which was just really nice and fun. I'm someone who really doesn't love having the attention on her, but it was honestly such a cool feeling that friends from all different times of my life could gather around to be there for me and meet each other. It just made me feel really lucky to have them all.

These fundies see bachelorette parties as a no-go because of what they think it "must" entail. But something like a spa day/weekend, or even when the older Duggar girls and Anna went to the cabin in one of the recent Counting On seasons... why shouldn't they be allowed to celebrate that?

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, Lurky said:

A friend and I were planning a fake Hen Night (bachelorette party), where we could get a bunch of women together to do everything tacky and tasteless, all the things we'd never do for a serious wedding, but with full on "bride" in L-plates, veil, costumes, penis deely-boppers, bad games, everything....  I should actually make that happen....

Oh my gosh YES! My flatmates at uni were also thinking the same! Mainly for free drinks in bars though. But the risk of bumping in to other people we know is too great, especially the serious friends who wouldn't get it. Plus we go to loads of the local bars anyway so we might be a tad too familiar.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kelsey said:

So, has there been any confirmation that this shitstorm is happening on the 1st?

No confirmation as of right now. If it's cancelled, I'd be shocked. 

• Upvote 4

You guys... None of my friends are married lol! The only shower I've ever been was my cousin's (who's like a sister to me) and even there she had a simple wedding without bridal party, she didn't had a bachelorette party either... I'm starting to think my friends are terrified of commitment. Needless to say, I'm single too. 

But I don't care if I'm 101 years old I want a bridal shower, the bachelorette party and a very simple wedding and my family/friends BETTER plan the festivities, lol. Now let me cross my fingers for Mr Right coming along someday.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

My bachelorette was awesome. My sister (MOH) planned a fun day where they read me clues and I had to guess where we were going. We hit my favorite bakery, got breakfast and tea at a tea shop, went apple picking, visited an outdoor book store, got lunch at a winery, and dinner at a nice restaurant in town. Super fun and relaxed kind of day, which was perfect for me. I highly recommend something like that for anyone who isn't big on dancing or drinking or late nights.

On 3/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, HermioneSparrow said:

You guys... None of my friends are married lol! The only shower I've ever been was my cousin's (who's like a sister to me) and even there she had a simple wedding without bridal party, she didn't had a bachelorette party either... I'm starting to think my friends are terrified of commitment. Needless to say, I'm single too. 

But I don't care if I'm 101 years old I want a bridal shower, the bachelorette party and a very simple wedding and my family/friends BETTER plan the festivities, lol. Now let me cross my fingers for Mr Right coming along someday.

You damn well should get your parties! Especially if you're 101! I mean, I feel like you should just get a massive party for making it to 101 in general.

• Upvote 10

On 3/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, HermioneSparrow said:

Don't worry. One of your friends will get married and then it will seem like everyone is getting married in the next few years after that. Weddings come in waves. 

From 2004 until 2009, I had a few weddings to attend each year (including my own). Some years I had FOUR. And of course none were in the winter so they were all from May to October. I've been a bridesmaid twice and a maid of honor twice. 

I am SO GLAD I'm over that stage of life. I'm even past the endless baby shower stage. Now I'm in the endless children's birthday party stage ;-)

• Upvote 16

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

You damn well should get your parties! Especially if you're 101! I mean, I feel like you should just get a massive party for making it to 101 in general.

I would totally want to be invited to a 101-year-old's bachelorette party, for the record. 

Speaking of, I'm DD-ing for a bachelorette party tomorrow. Pray for me you guys. 

• Upvote 10

16 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I would totally want to be invited to a 101-year-old's bachelorette party, for the record. 

Speaking of, I'm DD-ing for a bachelorette party tomorrow. Pray for me you guys. 

God(s/esses(s)), please put nausicaa's upholstery, cup holders, seat pockets, and eardrums under your umbrella of protection in the hour of their need, and we ask that you provide her drunk-ass friends with the aim necessary to vomit either neatly out the window or in their own handbags/shoes, and we pray that they plan ahead instead of needing to lurch around Walmart at 3 in the morning looking for Gatorade. All these things we ask of you in Pinot Grigio's name, amen.

• Upvote 33

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

My bachelorette was awesome. My sister (MOH) planned a fun day where they read me clues and I had to guess where we were going. We hit my favorite bakery, got breakfast and tea at a tea shop, went apple picking, visited an outdoor book store, got lunch at a winery, and dinner at a nice restaurant in town. Super fun and relaxed kind of day, which was perfect for me. I highly recommend something like that for anyone who isn't big on dancing or drinking or late nights.

Sounds like a great day, I would love that! With a little visit to a spa lol

And you crack me up, if I ever get married I want the whole thing.:56247955dd693_32(12):

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, lawfulevil said:

God(s/esses(s)), please put nausicaa's upholstery, cup holders, seat pockets, and eardrums under your umbrella of protection in the hour of their need, and we ask that you provide her drunk-ass friends with the aim necessary to vomit either neatly out the window or in their own handbags/shoes, and we pray that they plan ahead instead of needing to lurch around Walmart at 3 in the morning looking for Gatorade. All these things we ask of you in Pinot Grigio's name, amen.

:laughing-rolling:

I have half a mind to print this out and tape it up in my car tomorrow!

• Upvote 13

I'm in my 50s and have never married (because I haven't wanted to).  If I get to 101 and decide to get engaged, you are all invited to my bachelorette!

• Upvote 32

My cousin fell in love with the guy remodeling her kitchen when she was 52, after being single her entire adult life. They got married a few years ago and remain one of the happiest couples I know.
And holy shit, her kitchen is AMAZING.

• Upvote 37

I got married at 36, after being in 7 weddings! I'm  not kidding. The first one I was 17 (oldest sister.) some friends were divorced and marrying for the second time when I got married the first time.

But I did not make anyone wear a bridesmaid dress cause yuck. I had my favorite sister as my witness & just told her to wear what she wanted, preferably a long dress. His witness wore a regular suit. They loved not having to buy or rent something to wear. No parties, they just had to show up.

We had very low-key, inexpensive wedding cause I started to hate them after going to so many.  I have 20 first cousins & went to almost all their weddings, plus siblings & friends.The best ones were unique, just what the couple wanted, not the cookie-cutter ones.

• Upvote 8

I still think my wedding to Mr. Xtian was the best one ever. Got up, showered, put on some nice clothes, went to the courthouse and got the license...then went to the JOP and got hitched. We went out to lunch, went home, I got ready to go to work and worked a 4 to close (2am) shift. Including lunch, I don't think we spent 100 bucks. We got married the day before Halloween. That was over 18 years ago now. 

Dishes: We got a total of 12 place settings at IKEA for 60 bucks. All my cookware and flatware is also from IKEA. Towels and bathroom stuff from Target. The only "original" furniture we have from when we got married is our bedroom set. Everything else got tossed in a move (different stuff in different moves). Right now we're planning to unload our living room furniture the next time we move because what we have is scaled for a MUCH bigger place, so we're looking to scale down the furniture. And, as broke-ass as we are, we go cheap. 

• Upvote 8

I have started to get a similar reaction/feeling of hope every time I click on this thread that I get when I check the Jahi McMath thread. Except with this one I hope the wedding is called off. But I am always disappointed. I know it is too much expect realistically. Poor Tabitha. The wedding date is really close now.

• Upvote 11