IGNORED

Science experiment causes small fire at Iowa school.

47of74

I just saw this about a small fire at an Iowa school;

kwwl.com/story/34615342/science-experiment-clears-andrew-school-no-injuries

A small fire caused by a science experiment caused school officials to evacuate Andrew Community School Monday morning, according to a Facebook post.

It happened around 9:00 a.m., when a teacher "added water to the chemical to dilute the solution they reacted causing a small fire," the post said.

According to that post, all the students had safety gear on, and no one was injured.

The teacher was able to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher, and students were immediately evacuated from all classrooms, the post says.

Science! 

Does it make me a bad person if this was my first thought after reading this (of course after reading there were no injuries)?

HomerSchool.png

As a kid, I would have found this awesome. After all, no one got hurt, I would have gotten a story to tell and there was a fire! What's not to like?

3 hours ago, Terrie said:

As a kid, I would have found this awesome. After all, no one got hurt, I would have gotten a story to tell and there was a fire! What's not to like?

Yeah me too.  I know some of the old teachers back when I was in school would be lining up to give that teacher a hard time for trying to burn down the school.  When I went to high school they were just getting to the point where their first generation of teachers were either about to retire or within a few years of doing so.  When I went back for the 20th reunion a few years ago there were very few teachers or administrators still there from when I was in school.

20 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I just saw this about a small fire at an Iowa school;

kwwl.com/story/34615342/science-experiment-clears-andrew-school-no-injuries

Science! 

Does it make me a bad person if this was my first thought after reading this (of course after reading there were no injuries)?

HomerSchool.png

Looks like the teacher didn't blind the kids with science. Too bad.  (j/k)

Dammit, now I've given myself an earworm.  :P 

That reminds me of high school and the chemistry chapter in my biology class. The teacher was showing the chemical reaction when pure sodium is added to water, and we in the class wanted to see what happened with warm water. That resulted in a bigger flame, which triggered the fire alarm. The flame went out as the sodium exploded, but it was still enough to trigger that alarm.

Archived