IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 5: Engagment on the Horizon

choralcrusader8613

I think Nathan was crushed because he actually knew and cared about the girl whose name escapes me. In the non-Gothard world, they would have been high school/college sweethearts that broke up before graduation.

i think Zach was devastated because he thought this was it. This is the girl I will marry because everyone says I should and I am uncomfortable around girls anyway so this is my only chance. I never got the idea he was in love with her but more the idea of it. I think he felt like a failure when she broke it off. He seems much more comfortable, happy and at ease with Whitney, who he met through non- courtship means. I think it gives him self confidence that he did it on his own. 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I think some of the Maxwell stuff is on the wayback machine. 

The worst fundie courtship proposal and break-up IMO is Zach Bates and Sarah Reith. She was clearly horrified at the courtship proposal and felt pressured to say yes. And then she was forced to travel around with him. You could tell she just wanted to bolt and he was totally oblivious to her feelings. I'm glad she finally pulled the plug on it all, but it seemed to crush Zach. Nothing had prepared him for being dumped after such a public courtship. 

I hope she got paid well for going along with it for a while at least. That was one of the worst scenes ever--right up there with showing Grandpa Duggar on that office chair.

Marjorie and Josiah Duggar's "courtship" was the other cringe-inducing one. I won't say why it struck me as cringe-worthy, but it just was. She was like a kid on ICarly.....

14 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I can't root for any of these people to have a big family, and Michael especially seems completely content with her upbringing and will most likely continue the cycle. And Brandon works for IBLP. She seems like a really nice person and all and Brandon seems cool too, but no. They're still enmeshed in the cult. I don't wish infertility on them but I also can't wish for a bunch of kids to be forced to drunk the same kool-aid.

This is how I feel. I don't wish infertility on anyone, but I also don't wish the fundie life on any child. Michael and Brandon are deep into IBLP, no kid deserves that lifestyle. 

After years of struggeling with infertility I can't wish it on anyone. Not even fundies. 

I wish that they will come to their senses instead. Unlikely I know. But infertility was so, so horrible. 

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

I hope she got paid well for going along with it for a while at least. That was one of the worst scenes ever--right up there with showing Grandpa Duggar on that office chair.

Marjorie and Josiah Duggar's "courtship" was the other cringe-inducing one. I won't say why it struck me as cringe-worthy, but it just was. She was like a kid on ICarly.....

I don't suppose anybody has good screenshots of Sarah/Zach? I didn't pay much attention to any of this till after. 

1 minute ago, Mela99 said:

I don't suppose anybody has good screenshots of Sarah/Zach? I didn't pay much attention to any of this till after. 

Zach-Bates-Asks-Sarah-Reith-to-Court.jpg

She looks like she wants to run! Poor Sarah! I'm glad she did run. 

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

They were both way to immature, not sure Si's reasoning behind wanting to marry her other than the ebil sechs so that can be a pretty powerful motivator in these fundy relationships. 

4 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Did Sarah marry someone else? Or am I thinking of Elizabeth Munck?

Engaged according to her instagram. 

i'm genuinely surprised she's not married yet; i looked her up here, and posts about her new engagement were from 7 months ago.  good for her if she chose a long engagement, but unusual given that so many of her peers keep it short.

7 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Engaged according to her instagram. 

And Liz Munck is recently married. 

57 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

This is still my favorite:

Spoiler

Vacation-summer-2011-651.jpg

4 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

This is still my favorite:

Reveal hidden contents

Vacation-summer-2011-651.jpg

I like that they matched the colour of their shirts and that he's wearing jean and she's wearing a jean skirt. But it's still a little weird that he's shoving his crotch toward her. 

As you can tell from my avatar, that is my favorite picture too @singsingsing.  I felt like it was on TV at some point too.  Was it on the special they did? Or their first show? I need that episode!! 

43 minutes ago, JMO said:

As you can tell from my avatar, that is my favorite picture too @singsingsing.  I felt like it was on TV at some point too.  Was it on the special they did? Or their first show? I need that episode!! 

They pretty much scrubbed that episode (#3) from the United Bates of America lineup on YouTube. Good luck finding it elsewhere. The only episode I found on YouTube was so sped up that they all sounded like they were huffing helium. 

4 hours ago, JMO said:

Here it is from the ABC special.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/courting-home-schooling-conference-family-20-teenage-years-affair-courtship-girl-zach-nightline-14376119

The courtship stuff happens around 5:40.  The first part is about the Big Sandy conference and includes some pre scandal Duggars.

18 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

They were both way to immature, not sure Si's reasoning behind wanting to marry her other than the ebil sechs so that can be a pretty powerful motivator in these fundy relationships. 

I always felt like JB forced Josiah into that courtship. 

Josiah and Marjorie seemed to have very similar personalities. Maybe they were too similar.

Personally I think Marjorie is an example of someone who was enchanted by the idea of marrying a Duggar and being on TV but the reality caused her to nope out of there, especially when the Josh scandal hit.

I think that Josiah thought Marjorie was a little to worldly and outgoing to be the wife of a Duggar. Also, they both realized the Lord wasn't drawing their hearts together after all.

Omg ! I knew Zach was engaged or courting someone before Whitney but I never saw the pics !! Oh my word ! She looks like Rose did hanging off the back of the titanic!  

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived