IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 5: Engagment on the Horizon

choralcrusader8613

17 minutes ago, eleanora3 said:

Jinger's engagement was definitely not reenacted. She was truly shocked when he got down on one knee; she thought they were just doing a photoshoot on the roof

Yeah, I remember everyone saying that their engagement was staged since they were standing on spike marks. I think it was real, the spike marks were just for the "photoshoot". 

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, per duggarfamilyblog the new season starts this summer, and thanks to some wonderful detective work over in the joy and austin thread, it looks like joy&austin won't be tying the knot til the end of May, at least. are they going to do the exact same thing they did with jinger and have a mid season wedding and then show a quickie cut of it as a hook for the next season? maybe this will be the new formula - one season of courtship followed by the quickie wedding cut, one season of wedding prep followed by a courtship proposal, which is then documented in the next season followed by the quickie wedding cut...they could keep that going for YEARS. it's sort of genius. 

11 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

so, per duggarfamilyblog the new season starts this summer, and thanks to some wonderful detective work over in the joy and austin thread, it looks like joy&austin won't be tying the knot til the end of May, at least. are they going to do the exact same thing they did with jinger and have a mid season wedding and then show a quickie cut of it as a hook for the next season? maybe this will be the new formula - one season of courtship followed by the quickie wedding cut, one season of wedding prep followed by a courtship proposal, which is then documented in the next season followed by the quickie wedding cut...they could keep that going for YEARS. it's sort of genius. 

so expect June when the wedding takes place - the new season airs

and Jill is 8 months pregnant hopefully in the states, 

I wonder if the show was expecting to have a pregnancy announcement from Jinger to be the big news for the season finale.   

I feel that Boob had to use Joy courting a year early to keep the show going for another season,. 

Jill and Derick going to danger america is another plot line, lots of drama due to their basic incompetence at being funtioning humans/adults let alone parents.   They don't care what happens to Izzy as long as there is a camera around.    Better TV if Jill needs to be airlifted to Arkansas for delivery plus she then will have a better birth story than Jessa had for Spurge.

12 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Unless some of those boys find some girls to court and marry, the idea is dead in the water. Hannie is only 11- there's no more girls to fill seasons of Counting On. The babies will have to do, and they take 9 months.

11 hours ago, Lurker said:

I wonder if the show was expecting to have a pregnancy announcement from Jinger to be the big news for the season finale.   

I feel that Boob had to use Joy courting a year early to keep the show going for another season,. 

Jill and Derick going to danger america is another plot line, lots of drama due to their basic incompetence at being funtioning humans/adults let alone parents.   They don't care what happens to Izzy as long as there is a camera around.    Better TV if Jill needs to be airlifted to Arkansas for delivery plus she then will have a better birth story than Jessa had for Spurge.

The Dillards would have to DO something for that plot to be interesting. Preaching to 5 people once a week and making babies banana bread is not enough. Since they don't  fluently speak the language and having a translator would only show what lazy idiots they are, side trips (dentist, camping, beach) are out too. 

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

They may have been. Jessa and Jill are popping out their babies this year, so I guess Jinger is expected to add to the list of grandchildren. That is what they do after all. 

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

They may have been. Jessa and Jill are popping out their babies this year, so I guess Jinger is expected to add to the list of grandchildren. That is what they do after all. 

Unless some of those boys find some girls to court and marry, the idea is dead in the water. Hannie is only 11- there's no more girls to fill seasons of Counting On. The babies will have to do, and they take 9 months.

1. Surely one of them will have or fake infertility for the drama of it. We'll see the exhausted husband being told by Jim-Bob to keep pumpin' There will be lots of blather about this "season of life" being "precious" and the J-Mom-to-Be will get teary when forced to hold every baby. I'm NOT MAKING FUN OF ANYONE WITH INFERTILITY, so don't flame me. It's hard. But I'm more inclined to think they'll FAKE it just to make a story line. "Ok--J-wife YOU may use this secret stash of contraceptives for this season and next. We'll film a prayer vigil for you, then throw the the contraceptives away so we can show you "healed" and pregnant" That sort of thing.

2. Wanting sex and wanting sex when you know you'll be supporting a platoon of children on what a PFC earns (unless Daddy gives you tv money) might just keep the boys sleeping in the boys dorm for several more years.  But somehow I think JB will FORCE a boy to court for next season.

3.  We will see Hannie  'purposing' to be a buddy to Jb/M's grandchildren. She'll talk about leaving Tomboy ways behind and embracing the precious role God has in mind for her. She'll be shown helping the new cousin/Jboy put toothpaste on his toothbrush while he stares at her like she's insane.

4. Joy will be shown doing cooking and laundry, but because it is what her hubby likes she'll be shown out hunting or trail riding and again telling us how its no problem in a skirt and flip-flops and how when she was younger...but now....and the joy of becoming a Mom to a precious, sweet and ...as many as God gives.....

There that's next two seasons in the can. Saved you all a lot of time!

2 hours ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

1. Surely one of them will have or fake infertility for the drama of it. We'll see the exhausted husband being told by Jim-Bob to keep pumpin' There will be lots of blather about this "season of life" being "precious" and the J-Mom-to-Be will get teary when forced to hold every baby. I'm NOT MAKING FUN OF ANYONE WITH INFERTILITY, so don't flame me. It's hard. But I'm more inclined to think they'll FAKE it just to make a story line. "Ok--J-wife YOU may use this secret stash of contraceptives for this season and next. We'll film a prayer vigil for you, then throw the the contraceptives away so we can show you "healed" and pregnant" That sort of thing.

They wouldn't do that. But they might say "Maybe it's infertility!" if someone takes a little while to get pregnant in the same way that they say "Maybe it's twins!" when they are pregnant.

20 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

They wouldn't do that. But they might say "Maybe it's infertility!" if someone takes a little while to get pregnant in the same way that they say "Maybe it's twins!" when they are pregnant.

That would be horrible if they did that ! Especially seeing that a good friend of the family Michaela is actually or may be having issues in that area. It could be Brandon who knows. But still that would be horrible. If it's one fundie I'm rooting for having a big family it's Michaela. 

50 minutes ago, AlternativeVoice said:

That would be horrible if they did that ! Especially seeing that a good friend of the family Michaela is actually or may be having issues in that area. It could be Brandon who knows. But still that would be horrible. If it's one fundie I'm rooting for having a big family it's Michaela. 

They've faked a bunch of things. I'd hope not, but I wouldn't put it past them these days.

I know that courtships have been called off, but do engagements ever get called off in this world?  Just curious.

15 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I know that courtships have been called off, but do engagements ever get called off in this world?  Just curious.

Joseph Maxwell and Elizabeth Munck was called off a week before the wedding. 

Was Christopher Maxwell's breakup a courtship or engagement? That was just before my time here. 

Just now, marmalade said:

Joseph Maxwell and Elizabeth Munck was called off a week before the wedding. 

Was Christopher Maxwell's breakup a courtship or engagement? That was just before my time here. 

Yes, Liz called off the wedding after the shower and a week before the wedding.  Bless her and congrats on her nuptials to not-Joseph.  Be happy, Liz.

Christopher Maxwell and Sarah Smith?  The poor girl had two broken courtships or engagements but she has now married elsewhere.  Very happily I hope.

Christopher and Sarah Smith broke off by mutual agreement and not much drama, IIRC.  Except Steve failed again.

Sarah's other engagement ended really badly because his Daddy broke it off.  The fiance had not the guts to do it himself and poor Sarah suffered for months.  So cruel.

31 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, Liz called off the wedding after the shower and a week before the wedding.  Bless her and congrats on her nuptials to not-Joseph.  Be happy, Liz.

Christopher Maxwell and Sarah Smith?  The poor girl had two broken courtships or engagements but she has now married elsewhere.  Very happily I hope.

Christopher and Sarah Smith broke off by mutual agreement and not much drama, IIRC.  Except Steve failed again.

Sarah's other engagement ended really badly because his Daddy broke it off.  The fiance had not the guts to do it himself and poor Sarah suffered for months.  So cruel.

Sorry did they go in to detail on this in blogs or is this from FJ? Just curious. 

3 hours ago, AlternativeVoice said:

I can't root for any of these people to have a big family, and Michael especially seems completely content with her upbringing and will most likely continue the cycle. And Brandon works for IBLP. She seems like a really nice person and all and Brandon seems cool too, but no. They're still enmeshed in the cult. I don't wish infertility on them but I also can't wish for a bunch of kids to be forced to drunk the same kool-aid.

But yeah, I do agree that any person who would cry potential infertility just for the ratings is a terrible person. I don't think even the Duggars would stoop that low.

2 hours ago, Berty K said:

Sorry did they go in to detail on this in blogs or is this from FJ? Just curious. 

Sarah used to blog very actively. 

10 hours ago, Berty K said:

That is from my memory.  

Sarah Smith had a blog where she talked about her broken engagement to the first guy in great detail.  It was heartbreaking because she berated herself for actually loving the man instead of loving God more.  Or something.  I think she took it down after a few years.  She married a Gothardite in the end.

Steve Maxwell wipes his blog (Titus 2) of all embarrassing content.  Both Joseph's engagement to Liz and Christopher's involvement with Sarah have been obliterated.  Liz wrote a dignified explanation of the broken engagement that has now been taken off the family blog.

There is more detail in the archives of FJ if you do a search.  

I think some of the Maxwell stuff is on the wayback machine. 

The worst fundie courtship proposal and break-up IMO is Zach Bates and Sarah Reith. She was clearly horrified at the courtship proposal and felt pressured to say yes. And then she was forced to travel around with him. You could tell she just wanted to bolt and he was totally oblivious to her feelings. I'm glad she finally pulled the plug on it all, but it seemed to crush Zach. Nothing had prepared him for being dumped after such a public courtship. 

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Well I'm sure she is much better off whoever she married. Who sends their dad to do their break ups for them? Was he 10?

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I think some of the Maxwell stuff is on the wayback machine. 

I can never find things on that. :(

Zach really did seem crushed.  At least he found Whitney quite quickly afterwards.

With the Maxwells, I really think the person most upset when Joseph got dumped was Steve!

He was furious because to have her run for the hills after all that fasting and praying, praying and fasting, and all - it meant God was wrong!  The Maxwells had been rejected, not just Joe - who barely knew Liz anyway.  They had only met a few times.

Steve was humiliated.  And it showed.  

I remember that picture of Joseph and Liz where Liz was leaning towards him and he was almost leaning away from her. I don't think Joseph was particularly attached to Liz, she was just someone his dad told him to marry. Steve's pride was crushed. His carefully controlled life was messed up and he had to admit failure. 

Nathan Bates seemed pretty upset over his failed courtship too. 

45 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Nathan Bates seemed pretty upset over his failed courtship too. 

Nathan was quite crushed. It was hard to see. 

All these failed courtships, courtships are to protect ones heart, right?  So what is the difference of a broken courtship or a break up of a dating couple? Shouldn't you fall in love ? Is it all for purity standards and you can't really give away a piece of your heart if you don't don't put the outty into the inny?

On 3/4/2017 at 10:14 AM, singsingsing said:

Oh, and Josh proposed to Anna in a seafood restaurant with a bunch of balloons. 

Just THIS.  I was rewatching Kid Farm again the other day for the gazillionth time and the "recreation" of that blessed moment still makes me laugh like a fool.  That whole damn little series still makes me laugh like a fool.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived