IGNORED

Kelly C, Generation Cedar, Starts "Hashtag Health"

Hisey

Kelly is starting another one of her home businesses. Why doesn't she just get a job?

https://www.amazon.com/Cardiovascular-Absorption-Supplements-Hashtag-Health/dp/B06WRRV5ZB/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1487865577&sr=8-1&keywords=turmeric+hashtag+health&linkCode=sl1&tag=genercedar-20&linkId=df752ec01b3980545c59d8b8c33cb709

I don't know much about tumeric. Is there really a health benefit to it? Has the FDA found this to be true? I also wonder about selling it in pill form, as though it were a medicine or vitamin. And are those claims on the bottle substantiated in any way? Perhaps a more knowledgable FJer can help me out with this.

As you can tell from the back of the bottle (and her FB page), the name of her new home biz is "Hashtag Health."

A good friend of mine took tumeric daily, as a drink in hot milk. She believed it cured cancer, among other things. Sadly, she died of cancer last week :(

That's not to say it can't be helpful for some things (I guess, I haven't look into it so don't know), but it's definitely not a miracle cure for cancer.

The only uses I know of for tumeric is as a spice and a dye. Yeah, Kelly why don't you get off your judgemental and get a job? You are selling things that are potentially dangerous and/or deadly. So much for being pro-life you stupid bitch.

4 hours ago, Hisey said:

Kelly is starting another one of her home businesses. Why doesn't she just get a job?

https://www.amazon.com/Cardiovascular-Absorption-Supplements-Hashtag-Health/dp/B06WRRV5ZB/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1487865577&sr=8-1&keywords=turmeric+hashtag+health&linkCode=sl1&tag=genercedar-20&linkId=df752ec01b3980545c59d8b8c33cb709

I don't know much about tumeric. Is there really a health benefit to it? Has the FDA found this to be true? I also wonder about selling it in pill form, as though it were a medicine or vitamin. And are those claims on the bottle substantiated in any way? Perhaps a more knowledgable FJer can help me out with this.

As you can tell from the back of the bottle (and her FB page), the name of her new home biz is "Hashtag Health."

All I know about turmeric is that it adds a very nice color to onions and it's great in curries. If it's also good for you, that's great, but I doubt that it's an amazing awesome Pinterest panacea that cures cancer, AIDS, hemorrhoids, clinical depression, bovine spongiform encephalopathy, the common cold, and Not Looking Like Kylie Jenner.

1 hour ago, KDA said:

A good friend of mine took tumeric daily, as a drink in hot milk. She believed it cured cancer, among other things. Sadly, she died of cancer last week :(

That's not to say it can't be helpful for some things (I guess, I haven't look into it so don't know), but it's definitely not a miracle cure for cancer.

The people who sell turmeric and other things as bullshit "miracle cures" for cancer should be charged with manslaughter for every person they dupe and subsequently kill with their lies.

Turmeric is anti-inflammatory. It has proven benefits to people with arthritis. It has proven some effect as a component in cancer prevention, I don't know about treatment though. 

But yeah, don't try to treat serious illness with spices and don't market treatments and cures if you are not a trained professional and have the knowledge to read original studies and/or access to carry out you'r own peer-reviewed scientificcally sound studies!   

I just knew when I saw Gen Cedar it would be another one of Kellys scammy attempts to turn crap into gold.

She used to be so much more entertaining.  C'mon, Kelly!  Post one of your classic THINK OF THE CHILDREN rants about the tragedy of children sent to public schools!

Turmeric is an obsession on the support groups for the kind of cancer my dad died from--esophageal cancer. There are people convinced that turmeric and turmeric supplements are going to be the miracle cure or are the "secret cure" to all cancer that "Big Pharma" is hiding from us in order to profit from other treatments. People are finding ways to put it in all their food and are taking daily supplements by the bottle. 

No amount of good sources will convince these people that it is not a cure and that too much can have adverse side effects. 

My dad actually stumbled on the turmeric claims in his last year of fighting cancer and believed them. Fortunately, he took his questions to his doctor who told him that supplements might make some side effects he experienced from chemo worse and suggested just putting some in food as it wouldn't hurt anything (but probably would not help either). 

The thing that frustrates me is that a number of cancer drugs are derived from natural sources. But you can't just chew on Pacific yew leaves (source of chemical compound in two chemo drugs--one my dad was given), it has to be purified, appropriately dosed and given in a way that gets it to the cancer cells most efficiently. If there is an agent in turmeric that is an effective medical treatment, patients are not likely to benefit from merely sprinkling store bought spice powder versions on their salmon. 

I take turmeric capsules for my aches and pains. It has some anti-inflammatory properties, much like ibuprofen but without the side effects. It helps a bit, but isn't nearly as effective as ibuprofen, of course, so I do still take that sometimes as well. That's the ONLY reason I take turmeric, I don't believe any other health claims or 'cures.'

My turmeric is by Nature Made and comes from the commissary. I pay about $5 or $6 for a bottle of 60. Not paying close to $20 for what amounts to cumin in capsule form.  And certainly not buying it from someone who claims it can cure anything, much less cancer. :my_dodgy:

@Petrel I was just going to post that article.  Some good highlights:

*turmeric is one of the most thoroughly researched plants ever, with 5,600 peer-reviewed studies...but a sampling indicates that they are almost entirely animal and in vitro studies. 

*Preliminary findings from animal and other laboratory studies suggest that a chemical found in turmeric—called curcumin—may have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antioxidant properties, but these findings have not been confirmed in people.

*Turmeric is generally considered safe, but high doses have caused indigestion, nausea, vomiting, reflux, diarrhea, liver problems, and worsening of gallbladder disease. The NMCD warns that it may interact with anticoagulants and antiplatelet drugs to increase the risk of bleeding, that it should be used with caution in patients with gallstones or gallbladder disease and in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease, and that it should be discontinued at least 2 weeks before elective surgery. Purchasers of supplements are not given that information.

NMCD: Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database

1 minute ago, JMO said:

@Petrel I was just going to post that article.  Some good highlights:

*turmeric is one of the most thoroughly researched plants ever, with 5,600 peer-reviewed studies...but a sampling indicates that they are almost entirely animal and in vitro studies. 

*Preliminary findings from animal and other laboratory studies suggest that a chemical found in turmeric—called curcumin—may have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, and antioxidant properties, but these findings have not been confirmed in people.

*Turmeric is generally considered safe, but high doses have caused indigestion, nausea, vomiting, reflux, diarrhea, liver problems, and worsening of gallbladder disease. The NMCD warns that it may interact with anticoagulants and antiplatelet drugs to increase the risk of bleeding, that it should be used with caution in patients with gallstones or gallbladder disease and in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease, and that it should be discontinued at least 2 weeks before elective surgery. Purchasers of supplements are not given that information.

NMCD: Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database

I take one or two lower-dose capsules a day (and not every single day, I often forget), precisely because I read up on the stuff and realised I need to be careful. As I would with any other supplement.  Of course, none of Kelly's 'customers' will bother searching for this information on their own. They'll just blindly jump on the turmeric bandwagon because Kelly said so.:angry-banghead:

Would love to know why she chose "Hashtag Health" as a name. It sounds like a sarcastic milleneal writing a caption for an Instagram photo of a box of donuts. 

My mom swears by turmeric for her arthritis. But she also says homeopathic arnica works too, so...I guess if people get relief even is a placebo effect, good for them.

The people who sell turmeric and other things as bullshit "miracle cures" for cancer should be charged with manslaughter for every person they dupe and subsequently kill with their lies.

I agree. People who promote this shit are snake oil salesmen. They need to be held accountable for what they do.

13 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

My mom swears by turmeric for her arthritis. But she also says homeopathic arnica works too, so...I guess if people get relief even is a placebo effect, good for them.

Turmeric really does have some anti-inflammatory properties. Just not nearly to the degree that people like Kelly claim it does. For me, it's just something to take to help a bit, when I want to take a break from Advil for a few days. 

I wouldn't trust anything she has to say about what she sells - trying to make money out of sick people with no accountability for what she claims is just wrong.

In Pakistan and India tumeric is used not just in curries but on cuts. I am on bloodthinners so cuts bleed like crazy. I use it and it helps it clot quickly. It stings like crazy but it is faster than just pressure and the healing takes less time. 

Would never take it for anything serious unless there is proper evidence and it is manufactured in sterile conditions

It's not just turmeric, it's turmeric and ground black pepper (contains piperine) together.  Black pepper enhances or even allows the turmeric to be utilized by the body as an anti-inflammatory.  Without addition of black pepper, not much happens. 

• 10 months later...

I like Indian cuisine, so a good curry base made of onions, ginger and spices is my starting point for a lot of dishes. Recently I got my hands on some real turmeric root and I couldn't believe the difference in taste compared to the powder. Freezes well, too (juced diced it and froze it raw).  So if you can get it (looks a little like ginger root), I highly recommend it!

Archived