IGNORED

Jameis Winston says girls should be silent

TheWayTheWorldWorks

Jameis Winston (NFL qb) tells classroom of elementary girls that they should be silent, polite and gentle.  The boys should be loud and strong and can do anything they put their minds to.   He tries to back away later but it's pretty weak.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/sport/jameis-winston-elementary-school-speech/index.html

The saddest thing is one of the girls turned to the teacher and said, but I'm strong too. I got this from (TMZ btw don't judge me sources!)

I don't understand the polite thing at all, even in an (admittedly abbhorant) gendered world view that this guy is operating from. Don't we ideally want all kids to be polite? 

I don't understand why someone thought it would be a good idea for Jameis Winston, rapist, thief and generally immature, irresponsible moron, to speak to elementary school kids about anything. 

We really need to get over the idea that being an athlete is, by itself, something motivational and inspiring. 

I'm laughing to myself as I imagine the WTF look on my fifth grade daughter's face and her friends had he spoken at her school. My daughter's best friend can be a little to much for me to handle at times, but I think she would start a riot.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:49 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

I don't understand the polite thing at all, even in an (admittedly abbhorant) gendered world view that this guy is operating from. Don't we ideally want all kids to be polite? 

I say fuck that to a point. It's almost exactly a year ago a coach at my kid's club (competitive sports) was let go and reported for basically grooming his teenage players. This shit went as far as it did because the girls were being too polite to say WTF to his creepy comments. Even worse, parents knew and nobody talked much about it because nobody wanted to upset or offend. When another coach heard what was happening he reported it  to the police but was pissed because parents were going up to him saying things like "I'm not surprised" . You don't have to be polite to creepy pervs kids.

ETA: sorry for the rant. Watching this unfold last year shocked the heck out of me and how people reacted to it. It sickens me.

I say fuck that to a point. It's almost exactly a year ago a coach at my kid's club (competitive sports) was let go and reported for basically grooming his teenage players. This shit went as far as it did because the girls were being too polite to say WTF to his creepy comments. Even worse, parents knew and nobody talked much about it because nobody wanted to upset or offend. When another coach heard what was happening he reported it  to the police but was pissed because parents were going up to him saying things like "I'm not surprised" . You don't have to be polite to creepy pervs kids.
ETA: sorry for the rant. Watching this unfold last year shocked the heck out of me and how people reacted to it. It sickens me.

You can teach kids the signs of grooming and how and when to speak up without teaching them not to be generally polite. Teens especially are fully capable of understanding the difference between speaking up to stop an abuser and being polite to each other. Either someone failed to teach them that or, more likely, they and the parents were concerned about playing time and pleasing the coach. There's a reason predators like to get themselves in positions that confer some authority on them.

Treating others with respect is a value we need to be instilling in all of our kids regardless of gender.

On 2/24/2017 at 2:47 PM, louisa05 said:

I don't understand why someone thought it would be a good idea for Jameis Winston, rapist, thief and generally immature, irresponsible moron, to speak to elementary school kids about anything. 

We really need to get over the idea that being an athlete is, by itself, something motivational and inspiring. 

Let's be careful tossing that "rapist" word around. Winston is not a rapist, never charged, never convicted. Yes, some young woman with a less than stellar reputation and questionable motives claimed she was raped by him, a claim that neither law enforcement, nor the community believed, particularly when she later accepted a large payment.  This allegation also was heard by an administrative judge and found to be lacking merit. Her story was full of discrepancies and contradictions and the entire episode only makes it more difficult for true victims.

But, back to JW, yes, it was stupid, but he is young, he will learn, (hopefully), but he spends a lot of time with minority kids in the community and usually has a good message, i.e., stay in school, do your homework, listen to your teachers, etc.  He messed up, (just like you did when you called him a "rapist"), but he has taken a lot of heat over this, I think he'll do better next time.

Oh, and he isn't a "thief" either, I'd really be more careful about labeling people as criminals who have never been convicted or even charged, if I were you.

• 2 weeks later...

AuntK, the school stood by a star athlete they stood to make money off of.  This rape case highlights a major problem by letting colleges and universities decide when to let rape cases go forward.  That uni wasn't impartial.    They were biased in the direction that made them money.  If they'd let the case go on and he was convicted, then they'd lose him as a student.  

I suggest you read about the case and use critical thinking skills before excusing a RAPIST.  Something is wrong with you to be so firmly on the side of a RAPIST, and something is even more wrong with you to drag up a woman having sex before as if that impugns her ability to say NO.  He is a rapist, and he is a piece of shit for it, and so is anyone who stands by him and blames his victim.  It's because of people like you that a lot of victims stay silent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 11:09 PM, Jug Band Baby said:

AuntK, the school stood by a star athlete they stood to make money off of.  This rape case highlights a major problem by letting colleges and universities decide when to let rape cases go forward.  That uni wasn't impartial.    They were biased in the direction that made them money.  If they'd let the case go on and he was convicted, then they'd lose him as a student.  

I suggest you read about the case and use critical thinking skills before excusing a RAPIST.  Something is wrong with you to be so firmly on the side of a RAPIST, and something is even more wrong with you to drag up a woman having sex before as if that impugns her ability to say NO.  He is a rapist, and he is a piece of shit for it, and so is anyone who stands by him and blames his victim.  It's because of people like you that a lot of victims stay silent.

I think she forgot to add "Go 'Noles" and "FSU Forever" and other similar sentiments to her post. And that's the problem. In the college football obsessed state where I live, people have recently been explaining why getting a third DUI makes an assistant coach an amazing role model for players. Fans will excuse a lot for the sake of winning football titles. (Or as it is here, for the elusive dream of winning football titles). 

And I would make one correction to your post. They would have lost him as a quarterback. They did not care in the least about losing him as a student other than the fact that he had to keep up a facade of being a student in order to play football. 

On 2/23/2017 at 6:45 PM, TheWayTheWorldWorks said:

Jameis Winston (NFL qb) tells classroom of elementary girls that they should be silent, polite and gentle.  The boys should be loud and strong and can do anything they put their minds to.   He tries to back away later but it's pretty weak.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/sport/jameis-winston-elementary-school-speech/index.html

He is totally getting the middle finger from me!

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2017 at 12:09 AM, Jug Band Baby said:

Just saw this

I know more about the case than anyone who has commented on here for reasons I cannot disclose. I don't need to read about it, I have personal knowledge.  It is over, but I don't appreciate these remarks when you don't even know me and have no clue as to my knowledge of this  case.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:13 PM, Grimalkin said:

I agree!  Also, making children hug adults when they clearly don't want to.  It can be difficult if aunt or uncle or whomever, but, it sends a mixed message.  Imo.

On 6/21/2018 at 8:44 PM, Beermeet said:

I agree!  Also, making children hug adults when they clearly don't want to.  It can be difficult if aunt or uncle or whomever, but, it sends a mixed message.  Imo.

It's part of the reason putting very small children on Santa's lap makes me generally uncomfortable. They may not be able to indicate, hey why are you putting me on this strange guys lap? Older children are better able to vocalize their boundaries. 

Seems like someone should have carefully gone over his intended speech, especially given his past. 

I am also pretty familiar to the case (and not an FSU fan). Winston is an alleged rapist. He was not convicted or charged. I think FSU (and all colleges/universities) need to review and act more ethically about these sorts of cases. The school was definitely in the wrong.

As for Winston, I believe where there's smoke, there's fire but in that particular case it sounded more like buyer's remorse to me.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:14 PM, AuntK said:

I don't appreciate these remarks when you don't even know me and have no clue as to my knowledge of this  case.

Then you shouldn't comment here. If you don't want people judging your words, don't say them.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:47 PM, louisa05 said:

A friend of mine came up with the concept of Rapist Good: be so good at something that you can rape a ton of people and no one will give a shit because you're just so darn good at X thing you do. I guess that's motivational in a horrible way: be so on top of your game that you transcend basic human decency and morality. 

EDIT: in no way do I think that that should be how you live your life. But let's face it: if there's anything I've learned from the news, it's that if you're really good at throwing a ball, not drowning, playing pretend, or saying things people want to hear, your glaring character flaws and massive moral transgressions no longer matter. 

He will also miss matches in the next season for groping a Uber driver. A true peach.

Btw if you weren't there in the moment and place the alleged rape happened, then no, you don't know what happened.

Archived