IGNORED

John Oliver

JMO

So, I wanted to start a new thread since I found this from last summer prior to the election.  It has to do with charter school and since DeVos is a big proponent I figured we should cover it.  I'll add more videos of older stuff as I watch them.  Or if anyone else has great charter school or other topical coverage that doesn't really belong elsewhere you can put it here.

I'll be forever grateful to John Oliver for swimming across the pond to bless us with his take on all things America.  He may be the most incisively witty human on the planet.  Sometimes I take a John Oliver break just to get through the day. 

22 hours ago, JMO said:

So, I wanted to start a new thread since I found this from last summer prior to the election.  It has to do with charter school and since DeVos is a big proponent I figured we should cover it.  I'll add more videos of older stuff as I watch them.  Or if anyone else has great charter school or other topical coverage that doesn't really belong elsewhere you can put it here.

That should be required watching.  I had no idea how badly some of these schools actually perform, and how much money the government loses when a charter school is started with the obvious intent to defraud the government and the students, or how often it's happened.   That's before you get to looking at how a badly run charter school can ruin the students education.  What happens when one of these schools close suddenly?  Do the kids stay home for the rest of the year and wait for the next school year to start?  And all those loopholes so the schools can inflate their ratings and their attendance?  Shameful.

20 hours ago, Flossie said:

That should be required watching.  I had no idea how badly some of these schools actually perform, and how much money the government loses when a charter school is started with the obvious intent to defraud the government and the students, or how often it's happened.   That's before you get to looking at how a badly run charter school can ruin the students education.  What happens when one of these schools close suddenly?  Do the kids stay home for the rest of the year and wait for the next school year to start?  And all those loopholes so the schools can inflate their ratings and their attendance?  Shameful.

No, students don't stay home for the school year.  The entire charter school pours into the public school system.  And you can imagine how that works out.  It happened in my town and it was chaos.  The public schools weren't prepared for that many students at once.  So, it not only disrupted the education of the charter school kids, but also the public school kids.  It was a nightmare.  Charter schools are the worst idea government has come up with yet.  They did nothing to help, caused massive problems, and public school kids tested higher than charter school kids on average.  Instead of trying harebrained schemes that are poorly thought out, perhaps government officials can work to make public schools better.  Why doesn't the U.S. send reps to places like Finland and South Korea to benchmark their schools and find out if we can use some of their successful techniques to improve our schools?

2 hours ago, Childless said:

No, students don't stay home for the school year.  The entire charter school pours into the public school system.  And you can imagine how that works out.  It happened in my town and it was chaos.  The public schools weren't prepared for that many students at once.  So, it not only disrupted the education of the charter school kids, but also the public school kids.  It was a nightmare.  Charter schools are the worst idea government has come up with yet.  They did nothing to help, caused massive problems, and public school kids tested higher than charter school kids on average.  Instead of trying harebrained schemes that are poorly thought out, perhaps government officials can work to make public schools better.  Why doesn't the U.S. send reps to places like Finland and South Korea to benchmark their schools and find out if we can use some of their successful techniques to improve our schools?

Because the end result would be a more educated populace.  Politicians, especially GOPers, rely on people people too stupid to vote on their own best interests or call them on their unethical horseshit. 

Archived