IGNORED

United States Governors

Cartmann99

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

If this was an experiment in Kansas, the only conclusion can be that the experiment failed miserably. And still, even though it's proven to be a failure, the DOH's want to do this nationally, because...?  

It just boggles the mind.

Because the Repugs want to cut taxes for the wealthy, ensuring their wealth grows. The fact that they can take away services for needy people is just a bonus, in their eyes.

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since Kobach is a Kansan, I chose this thread. "Magistrate fines Kobach but won’t release Trump meeting memo — yet"

Spoiler

A federal magistrate has fined Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach $1,000 for presenting misleading arguments in a voting-related lawsuit, but won’t permit — for now — the release of a policy memo Kobach prepared for President-elect Donald Trump.

U.S. Magistrate Judge James O’Hara issued the ruling Friday in a lawsuit challenging a Kansas law requiring voters to present proof of U.S. citizenship when they register.

O’Hara said Kobach and his legal team “made patently misleading representations to the court” about the memo Kobach was photographed taking into a Nov. 20 meeting with Trump as well as another document proposing changes to the National Voter Registration Act, better known as the motor-voter law.

“The court agrees that defendant’s deceptive conduct and lack of candor warrant the imposition of sanctions,” the magistrate wrote in his 24-page decision.

"The court cannot say that defendant flat-out lied in representing the content of the disputed documents," O'Hara continued, adding: "As officers of the court, defense counsel have a duty of candor to the court and to opposing counsel. Justice requires that all involved in our legal system work to ensure that a true and accurate picture of the facts is presented to the court. This means that parties and their attorneys must respond to discovery fairly and accurately and that counsel assert only arguments that are supported by facts.

“The court urges defense counsel to garner good reputations for themselves by taking care in the future to act honestly and graciously towards the court and opposing counsel,” the magistrate declared.

Pursuant to a court order, the Republican secretary of state turned over the Trump briefing memo to the plaintiffs in the suit but designated it as “confidential” — a marking that prevents the plaintiffs and their attorneys from making the memo public at this time.

Plaintiffs in the case, represented by the Kansas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, asked O’Hara to remove the “confidential” designation. The magistrate, however, declined to do so, citing provisions in Kansas’ public records law protecting policy recommendations from mandatory disclosure.

Despite the ruling, the memo Kobach took into the meeting with Trump may well wind up in the public domain eventually. O’Hara suggested that if one of the parties files the memo in court as part of formal pleadings in the case, it is likely to be made public.

Kobach could ask a district court judge to review the ruling. A spokeswoman for Kobach did not respond to email and phone messages seeking comment on the decision.

Kobach, who is a leader of efforts to tighten voting restrictions and restrict illegal immigration, was widely rumored as a potential pick for a top Trump administration post. However, no such appointment came to pass.

Last month, Trump did tap Kobach to serve as vice chairman of a presidential commission on election integrity. That group is tasked with following up on Trump’s as-yet-unsubstantiated claim that between 3 million and 5 million illegal immigrants voted in the 2016 election.

So, he lies, and gets a slap on the wrist. Yeah, that's fair. <end sarcasm>

• Upvote 3

This is what our governor has been up to: 

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/trump-administration-a-pleasure-to-work-with-ricketts-says-after/article_1ca21dc2-42a2-5420-9c2b-910a94ac3403.html

I find the photo quite nauseating. But the douchebag will get reelected. The Democrats are way too busy fighting among themselves and licking the party chair's dumbass cowboy boots to even have a candidate at this point. No candidates emerging for governor or senate on the Democratic side. But our state party chair does have a personal logo and gets her mug on television frequently. So we are supposed to see that as the party moving in a good direction. 

• Upvote 4

New Jersey is my neighbor and one of my jokingly proudest moments was hating Chris Christie the first time he emerged (my parents among friends parents said Christie would be the first republican they'd vote for if he ran for president but they finally got on that hating train :) )

Jersey hasn't passed a budget so people are basically screwed in many ways, especially this holiday weekend, besides Chris Christie of course!

Christie’s family gets beach all to themselves after NJ shutdown

Dear Jersians: Even though I like to joke about your state, y'all don't deserve this shithead as a governor, almost at the finish line.

• Upvote 9

On 7/2/2017 at 0:16 AM, candygirl200413 said:

New Jersey is my neighbor and one of my jokingly proudest moments was hating Chris Christie the first time he emerged (my parents among friends parents said Christie would be the first republican they'd vote for if he ran for president but they finally got on that hating train :) )

Jersey hasn't passed a budget so people are basically screwed in many ways, especially this holiday weekend, besides Chris Christie of course!

Dear Jersians: Even though I like to joke about your state, y'all don't deserve this shithead as a governor, almost at the finish line.

I don't understand how he got to be governor twice! He has always been exactly what we have seen on the news yesterday and today. Arrogance doesn't even begin to cover it! He went because he had already planned to go, oh, friends had come from far away, and see, "I'm where I said I would be"? WTAF? That's your excuse for giving the people you work for the middle finger?

• Upvote 7

On 7/2/2017 at 0:16 AM, candygirl200413 said:

I suppose he figures he can do what ever the hell he wants now because shit, not like he is going to be able to run for Governor again.

• Upvote 8

That's what I'm thinking, he pulled a piece of Trump's media tirade saying how ridiculous that they had to photograph him, but like you lied and said you weren't going to use the beaches. Why can't you own up to that?!

• Upvote 6

36 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I suppose he figures he can do what ever the hell he wants now because shit, not like he is going to be able to run for Governor again.

The Devil made me do this...

CChristieVersailles.jpg

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

... not like he is going to be able to run for Governor Meter-maid again.

Fixed it for you.

I can't imagine Christie would be elected to anything again. He'll join some overpriced think tank or get a job with Faux News or Sinclair Broadcasting.

Edited by GreyhoundFan
  • Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Fixed it for you.

I can't imagine Christie would be elected to anything again. He'll join some overpriced think tank or get a job with Faux News or Sinclair Broadcasting.

He will be reporting from his new home at the Cinnabon at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike.

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Fixed it for you.

I think he was hoping for some high appointed post in the fuck head administration so he didn't have to be Governor of New Jersey anymore.  He pretty much knew even after his run that his political career was over so it was time to start greasing his connections for a new job.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I think he was hoping for some high appointed post in the fuck head administration so he didn't have to be Governor of New Jersey anymore.  He pretty much knew even after his run that his political career was over so it was time to start greasing his connections for a new job.

I don't see him ever working for Trump. I think Trump used him but is threatened by him. Christie is just as big of a bully as Trump but quite a bit smarter. I think Trump is afraid if Christie gets a position in the administration he could steal Trump's fan base.

And can you imagine if they both were having a bad day at the same time?

Maybe he can get a job with United Airlines. He seems like he would fit right in with their mission statement.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, GrumpyGran said:

I don't see him ever working for Trump. I think Trump used him but is threatened by him. Christie is just as big of a bully as Trump but quite a bit smarter. I think Trump is afraid if Christie gets a position in the administration he could steal Trump's fan base.

And can you imagine if they both were having a bad day at the same time?

Maybe he can get a job with United Airlines. He seems like he would fit right in with their mission statement.

Yeah I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that shouting match.  It'd be so loud the tourists could hear it no matter what the staff did to try to hide it.

• Upvote 3

This tweet is gold!

• Upvote 7

Ain't no way Christie gets a job in the Trump administration as long as Kushner's there.  Christie sent Kushner's father to prison.

• Upvote 6

12 minutes ago, mamallama said:

Ain't no way Christie gets a job in the Trump administration as long as Kushner's there.  Christie sent Kushner's father to prison.

No.  Kushner's father sent himself to prison.  Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time.  Daddy has no one to blame but himself.  I'm no Christie fan, but since "personal responsibility" is the Republican motto, then they should actually live by it and not blame others for their own mistakes.  Christie still won't get a job in Trump's administration though.  Trump saw an easily manipulated weakling and took advantage.  He never intended to give him anything.  Take Christie and Guiliani as examples of why you should never trust Trump.

• Upvote 6

On 7/3/2017 at 10:16 PM, onekidanddone said:

He will be reporting from his new home at the Cinnabon at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike.

Hell, I've never even been anywhere near New Jersey, but I'd be tempted to take a major road trip just for the opportunity to smirk at Governor Jackass! :twisted: 

On 7/3/2017 at 9:50 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

If we can't stick Christie on that deserted island we always talk about, can I at least live long enough to see him shilling catheters and reverse mortgages on one of those channels that just shows reruns of old television shows?

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

Hell, I've never even been anywhere near New Jersey, but I'd be tempted to take a major road trip just for the opportunity to smirk at Governor Jackass! :twisted: 

I've mentioned it in FJ before that I know somebody who works with the frail and elderly helping them with their Medicare and Medicaid, how to navigate through the health system and such in Trenton. Don't get her started on what she thinks of Chris "Piece of Crap" Christie.  

Edited by onekidanddone
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

A little dated in Trumptime, but Washington state Governor Jay Inslee [D] added his voice to those opposing releasing voter information to the Presidential Advisory Commission on Voter Integrity:

I believe Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann offered an excellent template for a response to the administration's request, though I'd strongly suggest they jump in Lake Washington.

Meanwhile, our (Washington state) Secretary of State [R] plans to send the Commission a link so they can file a regular public information request.

[Source:  Seattle Times, July 1, 2017]

• Upvote 4

This is an interesting analysis of upcoming gubernatorial races: "There Aren’t Very Many Democratic Governors. That Could Change in 2018."

Spoiler

The most underappreciated (in Washington, anyway) aspect of the 2018 midterm elections is the fact that 36 governorships will be up for grabs. And the partisan landscape for these contests will be nearly as skewed toward Democrats as the Senate landscape is skewed toward Republicans, with the GOP defending 26 seats and Democrats just 9 (one, in Alaska, is held by an independent).

What really makes the gubernatorial races different from others, however, are term limits: Fully 13 Republican governors and 4 Democrats are either term-limited or have already announced their retirements.

So it’s worth a close look at the Morning Consult’s updated approval/disapproval ratings for the 13 Republicans and 5 Democrats who are currently likely to run for reelection.

Red governors, blue states

As it happens, the two most popular governors are Republicans serving in bright blue states: Charlie Baker of Massachusetts (71/17) and Larry Hogan of Maryland (68/16). You can expect both of them to lose significant altitude between now and next November, if only because the prevailing levels of partisan polarization and straight-ticket voting dictate it. They and the other three incumbent Republicans running in states won by Hillary Clinton last year (Vermont’s Phil Scott — whose approval ratio is 62/23 —New Hampshire’s Chris Sununu — who’s at 57/23 — and Bruce Rauner of Illinois, who’s at 40/49) will all be dragged down by the natural trend away from the party that controls the White House, though their individual relationships with Donald Trump could matter at the margins.

Blue governor, red state

Only one non-retiring, non-term-limited Democratic governor is running in a state carried by Donald Trump last year; that’s Tom Wolf of Pennsylvania, whose approval ratio is a decent but hardly overwhelming 48/37. His state will be a major midterm cockpit for House races, so there will be plenty of money around, and Wolfe has some wealth of his own to spend.

Governors with underwater approval ratings

The five most unpopular governors are all term-limited or retiring: Chris Christie of New Jersey (25/69); Sam Brownback of Kansas (25/66); Dan Malloy of Connecticut (29/64); Mary Fallin of Oklahoma (35/55); and Rick Snyder of Michigan (38/52). All but Malloy are Republicans. Christie will be replaced this November. The candidates with “underwater” approval ratios who are at this point running for reelection are Scott Walker of Wisconsin (43/51), the aforementioned Bruce Rauner (40/49), Bill Walker of Alaska (42/48), Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island (43/47). Scott Walker has obviously been in hot water before. Bill Walker is an independent loosely connected to Democrats in a heavily Republican state. Rauner’s race could become the most expensive in U.S. history; the unpopular incumbent has already raised $70 million. Raimondo, who has battled with public-sector unions, could be vulnerable to a primary challenge.

Advantage: Democrats

All in all, when you include the states with no incumbent running, 2018 is a good opportunity for Democrats to pick up some governorships. Of the 14 races the Cook Political Report deems competitive (either tossups or leaning in one direction or the other) at this early stage, nine are for seats currently held by Republicans, four for seats held by Democrats (and then there’s Bill Walker’s Alaska). Democrats will very likely pick up New Jersey this year, and are favored to hold Virginia. With some luck and a decent midterm partisan breeze, the party so often accused of being hapless at the state level could wind up with over 20 governorships when the dust settles in November of 2018, which could help when redistricting rolls around in 2020.

Maybe there's a glimmer of hope.

• Upvote 5

I laughed so hard at this!

Transgender woman takes selfie with unwitting Republican Governor behind transphobic bathroom bill

A transgender woman took a picture with an unwitting Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott ahead of a transphobic bathroom bill he supports. 

Mr Abbott appeared to be unaware that Ashley Smith of San Antonio is transgender. 

Ms Smith posted the picture on Facebook and Instagram with the caption: "How will the Potty Police know I'm transgender if the Governor doesn't".

She said she took the picture to prove a point: transgender people "don't pose a threat" to the general public. 

“I did not think [shouting] would work, or that I would be heard and was more interested in the getting the photograph and not getting thrown out,” she told the San Antonio-Express News. 

This is the picture:

transgender.thumb.jpg.e5b64835251b1fcb9d3786818172806a.jpg

:pb_lol:  

(maybe it's just me, but she reminds me a little of Anna Duggar... )

• Upvote 7

Governor Butch Otter (R-ID) is in the hospital because of an infection from back surgery, not politics related. He vetoed a bill that would have eliminated the 6% sales tax on groceries. The 2018 gubernatorial elections are underway and I really do not want  Congressman Raul Labradoof (it's really Labrador but I just don't like him).

• Upvote 4

On 7/1/2017 at 3:02 PM, louisa05 said:

This is what our governor has been up to: 

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/trump-administration-a-pleasure-to-work-with-ricketts-says-after/article_1ca21dc2-42a2-5420-9c2b-910a94ac3403.html

I find the photo quite nauseating. But the douchebag will get reelected. The Democrats are way too busy fighting among themselves and licking the party chair's dumbass cowboy boots to even have a candidate at this point. No candidates emerging for governor or senate on the Democratic side. But our state party chair does have a personal logo and gets her mug on television frequently. So we are supposed to see that as the party moving in a good direction. 

Yuck. Pricketts. Dime store Lex Luther.

Krystal Gabel is going to run against him. I think she is Independent, not certain however. Plus she is doing it all grassroots style.. Please look into her :) 

Edited by VixenToast
Benadryl and sentences don't work well togther
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

America's favorite governor at the ball park again

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie got in the face of a Chicago Cubs fan in Milwaukee on Sunday — all while keeping an iron grip on his bowl of nachos.

Christie was walking down the aisle, snack in hand, when he was razzed by a Cubs fan, according to footage tweeted by WISN.

He got into a brief stare-off with the fan, faces about a foot apart, before Christie sarcastically told him: “You’re a big shot!”

The Cubs fan nonchalantly replied: “I appreciate that.”

Here's a tweet showing the face off...

• Upvote 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic