IGNORED

United States Governors

Cartmann99

14 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Ivey also blasts “special interest groups” for calling for the statues to be removed. The Alabama NAACP and the Alabama Black Caucus, an arm of the state’s Democratic Party, have both opposed the law protecting the statues.

Those uppity black people not wanting statues around commemorating the rape, torture, and murder of some of their ancestors seriously interferes with your War of Northern Aggression cosplay, doesn't it? :angry-cussingblack:

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

More on confederate statues.  Apparently the Tennessee legislature is withholding funds from the city of Memphis because it is trying to get rid of certain confederate statues, particularly Nathan Bedford Forrest. 

Tennessee wants those confederate statues to stay - WaPo article

(My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.  Sometimes I go into shock when I read about this stuff going on.)

• WTF 6

And Grietens has filed a restraining order against AG Josh Hadley.  I think this tweet sums it up.  

• WTF 3

5 minutes ago, clueliss said:

And Grietens has filed a restraining order against AG Josh Hadley.

Unbelievable.  I appreciate the posts on this continuing morass in MIssouri.   :popcorn: 

• Upvote 2

I've dubbed it a dumpster fire.    (My own personal dumpster fire photo - taken from my mother's deck in a trailer court where the dumpster sat there for a long time then someone dumped crap in it and one day poof)  (yes you  may steal this from me if desired) 

Spoiler

5ad8a37e549e2_2013-03-1517_00.34-Copy.thumb.jpg.ac2340657bb476e6efa28a488d085a11.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

And a judge won't dismiss a criminal case against Greitens.  (this would be the invasion of privacy case)

http://www.komu.com/news/judge-won-t-dismiss-criminal-case-against-gov-eric-greitens

trial is scheduled for May 14.  

And on May 15 a job on Trump's legal team.

• Upvote 5

Well - Greiten's still trying to get out of his legal issues.    

• Upvote 4

On 4/15/2018 at 6:56 AM, Howl said:

He seems nice.  I'm kind of afraid to ask about his scissors lapel pin. 

I was afraid the pin had something to do with Christian crafting, like some kind of Hobby Lobby thing.  Silly me!  It's about cutting the red tape of government spending.  Though his pin looks more pink than red.

http://redtapereduction.com/

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Apparently the facility was controlled by a bank at the time so not sure it's fair to blame him for what happened after the bankruptcy but in any case he subjected these animals to cruelty for no apparent benefit to humankind.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

Meanwhile in Iowa Gov Reynolds appointed her father to a board that vets judges

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds has appointed her 78-year-old father to a six-year term on a panel that vets and recommends candidates for open judgeships.

Reynolds on Tuesday announced that she had appointed Charles Strawn of Saint Charles to the District 5A Judicial Nomination Commission, among two dozen other appointments to similar commissions.

The governor's announcement didn't mention that Strawn is her father, but press secretary Brenna Smith confirmed the relationship.

Smith says that Strawn was one of three applicants for two openings on the 10-member District 5A commission, which recommends judges who serve in Dallas, Guthrie, Jasper, Madison, Marion and Warren counties.

That sounds conflictey of interestey to me... 

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 4

We're due for a Special Investigation on Greitens report today.

• Thank You 3

Here we go.  KMIZ has a PDF at the bottom of the article with the full report.

http://www.abc17news.com/news/house-report-on-greitens-released-campaign-worker-says-finance-filing-made-him-sick/737492198

House Report on Greitens' released, campaign worker says finance filing 'made him sick'

Michael Thomas/Getty Images

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The second report by the House Special Investigative Committee was released Wednesday afternoon.

The report found that by cross-referencing the names on the TMC list with Greitens campaign donors, the campaign raised nearly $2 million from people or organizations on the TMC list.

Around November 2016, an ethics complaint was filed against Greitens and Greitens for Missouri for failure to report the TMC list as an in-kind donation.

In a later filing with the Missouri Ethics Commission, Greitens and his campaign admitted that the campaign used the TMC list for fundraising purposes.

Documents and testimony from Michael Hafner, former Greitens' campaign worker and Krystal Proctor, former executive assistant to Greitens, established that Greitens used prospective donor call lists that included information taken from the TMC list.

In April 2017, Greitens signed a Joint Stipulation of Facts, Waiver of Hearing Before the Missouri Ethics Commission and Consent Order with Joint Proposed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law in Missouri Ethics Commission v. Greitens for Missouri and Eric

With his signature, Greitens admitted that the campaign used the list to contact donors and stated  that the TMC list was an in-kind contribution received from Danny Laub, former Greitens campaign worker on March 1, 2015, and had a value of $600.

On April 28, Greitens signed an amended campaign finance report for April 15, 2015, which also asserted that Laub donated the TMC list on March 1, 2015 with a value of $600.

Greitens electronically signed below the statement, “I certify that this report, comprised of this cover page and all attached forms, is complete, true, and accurate.”

In fact, however, the list was not an in-kind contribution from Danny Laub because Laub was never an employee of TMC, and was not able to authorize disclosure or use of the list, and the list was sent to Laub and Hafner by Proctor at Greitens’ direction.

Laub testified that Austin Chambers called him on April 24, 2017. This is how Laub described their conversation:

“And then Austin says to me, “I don’t know if you know this, but there’s a bull*** ethics complaint filed against us by the Democrat party about this Mission Continues donor list.” And he said, “I need someone who was on the campaign at the time, because I wasn’t, to put their name down so we can get this bull*** complaint dismissed. We will pay” – assuming him and the campaign – “will pay the fine, but we need to put someone’s name down who was on the campaign at the time, and I was not.” And he said, “Can we put your name down?”

Laub testified that he told Chambers the Greitens campaign could “put [his] name down,” which he “assumed… meant that [he] was the manager of the campaign at the time or in charge of the campaign at the time.”

Laub learned a week later that “putting his name down” as the donor of the TMC list “was not what I thought I told Austin on the phone he could use my name for.” Instead, Laub testified that he had been “affirmatively misled” by Chambers.

Laub testified that if Chambers had not misled him that he “would never have agreed for it to be perceived or otherwise that I in-kinded a list that I did not in-kind.” Laub testified he would have never authorized Chambers to use his name as someone who donated the list “because that’s untrue.” Laub testified that the TMC list was not donated to the campaign on March 1, 2015, and that nothing happened with the TMC list on that date.

Laub agreed that Greitens’ amended campaign finance report regarding the TMC list as an in-kind contribution was “false in every particular.” Laub further testified that everything of substance in the settlement agreement between Greitens and the MEC was untrue.

The report says Laub did not contribute the list to the campaign and that it was contributed to Greitens himself through his directions to Proctor.

The list was not donated to the campaign on March 1. Instead, its first use that Laub could remember was in December 2015, and the email records show its disclosure and use on January 6 and January 7.

Laub stated that the “whole document made [him] sick… because it was misrepresented [and] because [he] was in a round of news stories falsely portraying what happened.”

You can read the entire report below:

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, clueliss said:

KMIZ has a PDF at the bottom of the article with the full report.

Groan - I skimmed the whole report.  These people certainly knew better, and apparently they put the charity's tax exempt status at risk.  Thanks for keeping us in the loop. :romance-heartsmiley: For some reason, this particular bit of skulduggery intrigues me.  What a mess. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Greitens is a lying liar who lies.  I need a term now beyond dumpster fire because at this point I think we've surpassed that.  

• Upvote 3

First, we have news that Missouri Lawmakers are calling for a Special Session to address Greitens accusations.  (I'll be in the prayer closet requesting Rufus to bless them to begin impeachment)  

http://krcgtv.com/news/local/missouri-lawmakers-call-for-special-session

And we also have news that Greitens legal woes are entangling political advisors with ties to VP Pence's Chief of Staff.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article210339319.html

(so the dumpster fire in Missouri is about to flash over and spread to the VP's office)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

I hope they figure out a way to get Greitens out (if everything alleged is true, and I bet it is):

"This path is not the one that I would have chose for Missouri," Republican House Speaker Todd Richardson said. "We will not avoid doing what is right."

I read the link within the link.  Maybe Pence doesn't really want to be Greitens' good buddy anymore?  And lots of finger pointing going on.  What a raging dumpster fire.  Hope your prayer closet is upwind!

:popcorn:

• Upvote 6

On 5/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, clueliss said:

Greitens is a lying liar who lies.  I need a term now beyond dumpster fire because at this point I think we've surpassed that.  

Donald Trump

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8
  • Love 2

Of course, we have ANOTHER issue with our dear Missouri Governor.  Possibly used academic grant money to pay POLITICAL staff.  (and now we see why he was whining about the invasion of privacy suit.  He knew danged well there was a giant steaming pile and was afraid they'd find it.  and they did)

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article210458814.html

Greitens’ alleged misuse of grant money under investigation by university, foundation

BY BRYAN LOWRY

blowry@kcstar.com

May 04, 2018 10:29 AM

Updated 2 hours 59 minutes ago

Gov. Eric Greitens may have violated an academic grant agreement by allegedly using it to pay his political staff as he was planning his campaign for governor.

Washington University in St. Louis and the John Templeton Foundation are both investigating a claim that the Republican paid his political staff partly through his $362,000 John Templeton Foundation grant.

The claim was made by Daniel Laub, Greitens’ former campaign manager, during an April 18 deposition conducted by Attorney General Josh Hawley's office.

Michael Murray, the vice president of the Pennsylvania-based foundation, said in an email Friday that the "grant agreement does specifically prohibit the use of funds 'to influence the outcome of any specific public election.' "

Murray added that the matter "is currently under investigation both by Washington University and the Foundation and so we are not in a position to comment at this time on possible future actions."

Laub told lawyers from Hawley’s office that some of the money he received for his early work for Greitens came from the grant, which was administered by Washington University.

Julie Flory, the university’s assistant vice chancellor for communications, said in an email that the university would review the claims in Laub’s testimony, which was unsealed Wednesday along with a Missouri House report that has spurred the legislature to call a special session to consider the governor's impeachment.

“This issue just recently came to our attention as part of the Missouri House legislative investigation. As a grantee, we take accountability seriously. We are looking into the matter to ensure the funds were used appropriately,” Flory said.

Greitens received the grant in 2010 for research on resilience and how people handle hardship. That work eventually turned into his fourth book, “Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life.”

Play Video

4:05

Hawley says Greitens probe indicates potential felony

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens is under investigation by the attorney general's office over his use of a list of donors belonging to a veterans charity to benefit his 2016 campaign. FacebookLeah Becerra

Laub began working for Greitens in late 2014, helping organize the book tour and laying the groundwork for his 2016 campaign.

He was initially paid as an independent contractor by the Greitens Group, the governor’s limited liability company.

“We were getting ready for his book tour for his new book, ‘Resilience.’ I had a hand in speaking gigs and preparing and doing — getting those ready and then I had a hand in political planning,” Laub said in the deposition.

However, he also received payments through the Templeton grant.

The attorneys asked Laub to send an email from Greitens’ executive assistant, Krystal Proctor, instructing Laub to send an invoice to Washington University listing the grant number.

READ MORE

Greitens’ legal woes entangle political advisers with ties to Pence’s chief of staff

“This is about Eric got allotted some amount of money through the Templeton grant at Wash U for things involving Eric I don't know the details on. And part of my work for Eric in terms of book tour and speaking stuff was paid out of this Templeton grant,” Laub testified.

Greitens intended to use the book tour to leverage his political ambitions and facilitate meetings with potential donors, Laub testified.

The attorneys from Hawley’s office asked Laub whether Greitens' team had conversations with Washington University about the "plan or expectations that the book tour would be used to leverage the political campaign” and Laub replied that he had no idea.

Laub testified that his understanding was that it “was a large grant, a lot larger than what was given here, that Eric could spend freely on ‘Resilience’-related things.”

Laub said that his income came from three sources during his work for Greitens: The Greitens Group, the Templeton grant and eventually Greitens for Missouri, his campaign committee.

He received two checks through the Templeton grant in 2015 totaling $3,250, he testified.

“The only thing I do remember is Krystal telling me that it was a sizable grant and that other promo-type companies were getting paid out of that grant too,” Laub said when asked about the arrangements with Washington University.

The official campaign committee was not established until February 2015, according to the Missouri Ethics Commission. Laub’s initial salary was $5,000 a month, he said.

Laub’s attorney, Sandy Boxerman, said that his client answered questions honestly and would be prepared to do so again if his testimony prompts additional inquiries about the use of the grant.

“I recognize why it might be an issue, but whoever’s going to follow up will follow up,” Boxerman said. “Certainly Danny doesn’t think he did anything wrong.”

Catherine Hanaway, the attorney for Greitens’ campaign, said she could not comment on this portion of Laub’s testimony because it dealt with things that happened before the formation of the campaign.

The spokeswoman for Greitens’ legal defense fund also did not immediately respond to inquiries Thursday and Friday.

Hanaway previously criticized the House report, saying that the committee “ought to ask the campaign for its version of events before acting as judge and jury in a matter that was settled long ago.”

• WTF 5

Not to be outdone by Missouri, our "100 percent pro life governor" just walked Iowa into a lawsuit.

Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds is set to sign the most restrictive abortion law in the country on May 4.

The legislation, once signed, will prohibit doctors from performing abortions after they've detected fetal heartbeats in pregnant women.

While fetal heartbeat bills have been made law in recent years in other states throughout the U.S., historically federal courts have struck them down.

Planned Parenthood of the Heartland says they plan on filing a lawsuit against Gov. Reynolds, should she sign the 6-week abortion ban into law.

I'm getting pretty tired of living in Iowa. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 4

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/nj/chris-christie-portrait-to-cost-taxpayers-85000-more-than-3-past-n-j-governors-combined-20180420.html

Christie’s official portrait will be painted by a renowned Australian artist, and will cost a total of $85,000 — more than what was paid by the three previous New Jersey governors combined, according to documents obtained by the Bergen Record through the state’s Open Public Records Act.

The $85,000 price tag is the most any New Jersey governor has paid for the official portrait, the Record reported. The next most-expensive was $58,000, purchased by Democrat Jim Florio, who served as governor from 1990 to 1994. The three governors before Christie – Jon Corzine, Richard Codey and Jim McGreevey, all Democrats – spent a combined $74,500 on portraits, according to the Record.

As other governors have done, the state will pay for the portrait through a transition account worth $250,000. Funded by taxpayers, the account can be used to pay for staff, office space and other services, including commissioning portraits, the Record reported. The account has so far only paid for $37,500 of the portrait’s cost.

• WTF 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic