IGNORED

Counting On: Season 3, Part 4: Fake Glares to Hide the Obvious

choralcrusader8613

When I was married to the X and we had the 5 kids, I'd go down the line "AmandaTheresaJoshuaSarahDanielLicoriceBilboJokerTiddlesShadow" 5 kids, 3 dogs, 2 cats...I spent a LOT of time confused. Finally I'd just point at whichever child I was planning to fuss at and just yell "YOU"!!!!

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Hokey Pokey said:

What an incredibly bizarre thing to display

It's very Pinterest.  And, full disclosure, a few of my friends have done variants.  It can actually be super cool when the couple has real milestones to list that span several years (my personal favorite was a couple who teach internationally, so it was a nice breakdown of how/where they met and where they traveled to)...but I agree, it totally falls flat when it's basically "We met and now we're getting married and that's basically all that's happened". 

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Also, can Jill ever have a th that's not about her? It's Jinger's time to shine! Let it be about Jinger!

In Jilly Muffin's world, it's all about her. 

She was the golden child after all.

1 hour ago, eleanora3 said:

The truth comes out! (on when they actually started courting)

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 11.33.40 PM.png

Looks like they had almost a year of "getting to know you special friend time" before they started getting serious, which makes the whole ridiculously short engagement less objectionable in my mind. I'm going to guess they gave away pieces of their hearts before they were supposed to, to which I say...right on, you crazy kids. 

4 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My grandma had two children, and only four grandchildren. She consistently used only three of our names (all three J names) between the six of us(not all J names), and sometimes added in the name Jasper, even though no man or pet in our family ever had that name. So yes, me as a six year old little girl, sometimes got called Jasper.  

Grandma died a few years ago, but we'll still call each other Jasper randomly and laugh about it :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

Gotta love old age. Your post just cracked me up, Jasper!

Thoughts on the episode: 

Jeremy looks high AF on the morning of the wedding. Holy crap, looks like he got some of whatever Michelle and Ben have.

The episode was sweet...you can tell they really care about each other. Jim Bob's emotion when he saw Jinger was also very touching. It's nice to see that she has a good relationship with their brothers. The banter between Jeremy and John-David was cute. Jesse's sweet side with Jinger was nice to see. Ben walking Hannie down the aisle and looking out for her was cute. They're still problematic as hell though. 

Jeremy has his Gothard-speak down...lots of "know their hearts" "it was special" "season of life"....he's good at this.

All the mentions of covenants and using the word "covenanted" makes me think they have a covenant marriage, which makes little sense legally, but Jeremy is definitely the type to do that. 

DAMN...they are good kissers (makes me wonder if they had practice). And a lot more handsy than in previous courtships. 

Ugh, I hate that Jeremy's problematic-ass is so hot. Was defrauded by that navy suit. 

8 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Here's the fake glare, though you really need to watch it to see how hilariously bad it is. Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 2.31.15 PM.png

But the thing is, it worked. I knew Josh was there from the pics we saw at the time of the wedding, and I noticed the obvious cutaways in the church...but since I didn't pause this scene I honestly didn't notice the glare. (Too many movies with lens flares? ;) )

But if I was watching carefully and didn't notice, I'm sure it was even more effective for the viewers who are humpers and/or less informed, and thus it served its purpose of seeming innocuous and yet hiding Josh from view.

1 hour ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Looks like they had almost a year of "getting to know you special friend time" before they started getting serious, which makes the whole ridiculously short engagement less objectionable in my mind. I'm going to guess they gave away pieces of their hearts before they were supposed to, to which I say...right on, you crazy kids. 

Boob didn't give Jeremy permission to talk to her specially until after the missioncation 12/15. Before that, any interaction would have been the typical fundie male/female group stuff. 

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

It's very Pinterest.  And, full disclosure, a few of my friends have done variants.  It can actually be super cool when the couple has real milestones to list that span several years (my personal favorite was a couple who teach internationally, so it was a nice breakdown of how/where they met and where they traveled to)...but I agree, it totally falls flat when it's basically "We met and now we're getting married and that's basically all that's happened". 

Oooooh, I've never heard it of it before, but I could imagine it as a sort of "story of our life" type thing. Like; this is when we lived in China for a year, here's when we climbed Mt Snowycliff, the 3 months my leg was in cast and you had to carry me up and down the stairs everyday, etc.

But with these dates just listed there it reminds me of having to fill in a form to prove something ie

"Onset of symptoms started on this date, further patient developed signs of courtship from this time"

12 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Or you could do like Derick and Jill, ask for $24,000 for a 4 month visit to Central America. 

24k for 4 months , that would be 72k for a whole year just to.....LIVE?!! wtf! And this is el salvador where cost of living is probably pretty low. 72k a year to live on (after taxes), man, not even a doctor (in his first 10 years of his career) has that much in Germany, but 72k will get you far here, too. average salary here is about 40k per year (before taxes!).

3 hours ago, eleanora3 said:

The truth comes out! (on when they actually started courting)

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 11.33.40 PM.png

So Jinger and Jeremy were introduced before sh*t hit the fan with the two Josh scandals, the first of which started may 2nd, right?

Joshgate I hit on 5/21/15. So, they'd met, but who knows what involvement there was. Probably not much more than being in the same room. I doubt it was a double date with Benessa. 

Jeremy and Jinger were very hands on in the preview of next week's show.

The Dullards and Benessa all seemed more awkward and hands off in their episodes. Jeremy clearly isn't worried about defrauding the nation.

Also, Austin seems the most confident yet going into the 'Ask Boob', probably because he actually knows the family and Boob significantly better than the other two did.

41 minutes ago, eveandadam said:

24k for 4 months , that would be 72k for a whole year just to.....LIVE?!! wtf! And this is el salvador where cost of living is probably pretty low. 72k a year to live on (after taxes), man, not even a doctor (in his first 10 years of his career) has that much in Germany, but 72k will get you far here, too. average salary here is about 40k per year (before taxes!).

It is. Sweden is considered an expensive country to live in and I make about half of 72k and while I can't say I am rich, I have a good life. 

I am surprised to see how short their official courtship was (allthough K must admit that the US dates confuse me, in Norway we write the day before the month).

I have always though that they had a long, secret courtship as I imagined that Jim Boob would object to announcing a new courtship too soon. After Joshgate and the whole Josiah-affair I believed that he would be more protective of his daughters.

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

But the thing is, it worked. I knew Josh was there from the pics we saw at the time of the wedding, and I noticed the obvious cutaways in the church...but since I didn't pause this scene I honestly didn't notice the glare. (Too many movies with lens flares? ;) )

But if I was watching carefully and didn't notice, I'm sure it was even more effective for the viewers who are humpers and/or less informed, and thus it served its purpose of seeming innocuous and yet hiding Josh from view.

Yes, granted I knew it was there so I was looking for it. It's just watching it move suspiciously with the crowd and go behind the pillar made me laugh.

Are Kendra and Lauren fraternal twins? They look pretty much the same age to me and very alike but not identical.

I'm beginnging to suspect a double courtship announcement of Kendra/Lauren and Joseph/Jedediah

Jinger's freudian wordss salat of "the wedding is in two days and I could be more excited, erm coudn't" lmao

Am I the only one who was heartbroken once again for Jana. They have her in the background taking care of the grandkids. They didn't even let her give Jinger a kiss. With joy now courting.. Jim Bob is never going to let her leave. Without Jana, who will take care of all the kids? For sure Michelle won't.

4 hours ago, Hokey Pokey said:

What an incredibly bizarre thing to display

Like others have said, it's a super popular, Pinterest-y thing to do at weddings right now. Except it usually says stuff like "first date," "first kiss," etc. Here's a few examples behind the spoiler:

Spoiler

c0f894120ced3f3aea6f5781a000c846.jpg

5a36f31edfb6d506ebe4d339a0901d5a.jpg

6823d66fb66e2552eadc215638883f32.jpg

It actually cracks me up to see it done for a courtship. On their wedding date, they could add 'first front hug, first kiss, first time alone together, first sex, moving in together'...

2 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Hey, Derick, know how you can make 72 grand a year? QUIT BEING A LAZY BUM, GO GET YOUR CPA, AND BE AN ACCOUNTANT. Your skills with Excel and GAAP will do all the "plz give me moneyzzzz cuz Jeebus" work for you.

29 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Hey, Derick, know how you can make 72 grand a year? QUIT BEING A LAZY BUM, GO GET YOUR CPA, AND BE AN ACCOUNTANT. Your skills with Excel and GAAP will do all the "plz give me moneyzzzz cuz Jeebus" work for you.

an accountant with a Bachelor's degree can make 72k (after taxes) in the U.S.? I'm impressed. I'm actually considering leaving Germany because the job market is horrible if you're not a 25 year old male with a master's/doctoral degree.

1 hour ago, eveandadam said:

an accountant with a Bachelor's degree can make 72k (after taxes) in the U.S.? I'm impressed. I'm actually considering leaving Germany because the job market is horrible if you're not a 25 year old male with a master's/doctoral degree.

It obviously depends, but that would be far from the norm. That's why @nastyhobbitses said "go get your CPA" (Certified Public Accountant), which requires extra schooling and licensing. He wouldn't make 72k after taxes with what he did at Walmart.

Also, as a German who's likely looking at moving to the U.S. soon (the things you do for your husband), the job market in Germany is much better than in the U.S. right now. I know it doesn't always feel that way - trust me, I've been there - but the job market is actually pretty good right now.

16 minutes ago, JillyO said:

It obviously depends, but that would be far from the norm. That's why @nastyhobbitses said "go get your CPA" (Certified Public Accountant), which requires extra schooling and licensing. He wouldn't make 72k after taxes with what he did at Walmart.

Also, as a German who's likely looking at moving to the U.S. soon (the things you do for your husband), the job market in Germany is much better than in the U.S. right now. I know it doesn't always feel that way - trust me, I've been there - but the job market is actually pretty good right now.

Thank you for your answer :-). I really do feel like it is much harder for women to find a job. I finished my master's in engineering a couple of months ago and still don't have a job (I sent out close to 100 applications). I know first hand that from the students who graduated with me ( it was about 50:50 regarding sex in our class) the men could find a job within their first 10 or so applications whereas the women, especially the ones older than 25, haven't been able to find a job, yet; I know of 2 girls of my class who got a job, but they are 24 and 23 years old with master's degrees, those were the only ones. All the other women are still writing applications until their fingers bleed, including myself. I tried to find a job as a sales person or a waitress to bridge the time between jobs, so to speak. but I wouldn't even get a minimum wage part-time job.

The government still declares a shortage/lack of engineers (especially in my field of specialization), but I don't believe it anymore. I graduated as one of the best in my class and am fluent in three languages. Something is not adding up.

Maybe it's just women in engineering who are discriminated against but not in other fields, I don't know.

Can someone please tell me that it gets better? I'm starting to loose my drive completely.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived