IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

16 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Gah! Look, either alter the pattern to fit your modesty requirements, wear a shrug or Bolero jacket to cover up the back, or choose something else. Wearing a camisole under the halter-top detracts from the look you are trying to portray.

I will never, ever understand the fascination with fundies wanting to wear things that are considered risqué in their world, and then making it look like the north end of a south bound mule by putting camisoles under it, or t-shirts over, etc...

A turtleneck halter top! How unique.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

Gah! Look, either alter the pattern to fit your modesty requirements, wear a shrug or Bolero jacket to cover up the back, or choose something else. Wearing a camisole under the halter-top detracts from the look you are trying to portray.

I will never, ever understand the fascination with fundies wanting to wear things that are considered risqué in their world, and then making it look like the north end of a south bound mule by putting camisoles under it, or t-shirts over, etc...

that's what I thought when I read it.  she might as well have her bra straps out.  nothing defrauding about that to me, but the Boyers are supposed to be so sweetly demure that exposing one's undergarment strikes me as contradictory.  (and sloppy depending on where one might wear it).

but come on, a halter is modest-wear? they should just own the fact that they like contemporary clothes and look nice in them; it doesn't have to be a dirty secret.

I don't understand why she didn't just raise the back of the shirt?  Alter the pattern and if she's not able to do it then abandon the project.  And the skit was not well done.  She struck out on that look.  I'm not a halter top fan because I feel like I'm being choked but the top otherwise was made well and attractive.  If you don't want to show off your midback/bra strap then make a shirt that covers it.

Related story:

A couple of years ago I went to an Elie Tahari sample sale.  There were a lot of Orthodox there.  I watched a tween/early teen girl in her very modest black outfit and stockings try on one fabulous sparkly non-modest dress after another.  All on top of her long sleeved, high necked black shirt and maxi skirt.  It made me smile because she was clearly having a good time but also sad that she would never be allowed to wear evening wear like that and she was clearly drawn to them. 

It makes me twitchy that the stripes don't match in front. I suppose there wasn't enough fabric to match them. Or maybe the resulting chevron design would have been defrauding?

5 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

It makes me twitchy that the stripes don't match in front. I suppose there wasn't enough fabric to match them. Or maybe the resulting chevron design would have been defrauding?

i went back and looked a little while ago, and thought the same thing at first when seeing the wider shots (and also that Gabe could have lined up the stripes perfectly).  but then i got a good look at the front seam and saw that she kind-of-sort-of lined them up; the stripes aren't exactly with each other, but they're top-edge to bottom-edge, and each pair is done the same.  not something i'd go for, and not readily noticeable unless you look really closely.

2 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

It looks like she purposefully made it so that when there was a thicker red stripe on one half it would just miss matching up with 3 thin red stripes on the other.  It's a little funny but I'm guessing that was intentional.  

The physical symptoms that Jessica described-- heartburn and shoulder pain-- sound exactly like what I used to get before an attack when my panic disorder was bad. I had regular panic attacks for YEARS, and it wasn't because I needed to work on my relationships or read more scripture. It's because I had an imbalance in my brain, and that persisted even when my life was otherwise going well. For some people these problems are situational, and hopefully Jessica's will go away as her situation becomes less stressful. But if she still finds herself struggling, she may need to go to a doctor. I take medication every day now. It doesn't make me feel weird or mess up my thoughts, it just means I have fewer panic attacks. Hopefully she and her readers are open to options like that if they need them, instead of just suffering pointlessly.

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

The physical symptoms that Jessica described-- heartburn and shoulder pain-- sound exactly like what I used to get before an attack when my panic disorder was bad. I had regular panic attacks for YEARS, and it wasn't because I needed to work on my relationships or read more scripture. It's because I had an imbalance in my brain, and that persisted even when my life was otherwise going well. For some people these problems are situational, and hopefully Jessica's will go away as her situation becomes less stressful. But if she still finds herself struggling, she may need to go to a doctor. I take medication every day now. It doesn't make me feel weird or mess up my thoughts, it just means I have fewer panic attacks. Hopefully she and her readers are open to options like that if they need them, instead of just suffering pointlessly.

Acknowledge actual evidence-based science? Yeah. That's never gonna happen with these sisters (or their SAHD readership). I hate to generalize, but when you're in a group that thinks Arc Encounter is the best thing to happen to the world since sliced bread, utilizing psychiatry isn't very high on their mental health priority list (unless they acknowledge that their mental health status is actually something other than "Satan's temptations").

*Serious high five* for getting help for yourself so you can live a better life. Panic attacks suck. I get the whole brain chemical imbalance. I'm a daily med taker for brain chemistry being out of sorts too!

*Awesome high five* for that username of yours! I have a odd feeling that with the "diet" the sisters described in their droning 17 minute video they posted, they'd actually like nachos Flanders' style and unflavored ice milk. Nachos-Flanders-Style-Screenshot.png

Speaking of videos and diets... apparently (from a video filmed months ago, but just now posted) Brigid hates eggplant (and change!). I wonder how Gabe feels knowing Brigid wants anywhere from five to twenty children to be happy. The song below is apparently Brigid's favorite. I mean, the orchestral accompaniment is pleasant, but those lyrics are a bit thirsty.

5 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Speaking of videos and diets... apparently (from a video filmed months ago, but just now posted) Brigid hates eggplant (and change!). I wonder how Gabe feels knowing Brigid wants anywhere from five to twenty children to be happy. 

When I heard the question about how many kids she wanted I was just waiting for the answer "leaving it up to God". But wow, anywhere between five and twenty is a lot. She has to hurry if she wants to beat the Duggars or the Bates! 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why the Boyer Sisters act is now kaput just because one sister because a SAHW.  How far away does she live from them?

7 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I don't understand why the Boyer Sisters act is now kaput just because one sister because a SAHW.  How far away does she live from them?

If I'm remembering right, I think she's at least a few hours away.  It could just be that one or more of the sisters' interests were changing and this was a convenient way to close things out. I can see where it would invite fewer questions than, "Well, x's heart just isn't in it anymore."  

4 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I very much doubt she would leave her headship for a few days traveling to sing. It's sad how these fundies become joined at the hip once they are married. 

Example: David and Priscilla "never been apart longer than 25 hours" Waller

Oh, Brigid will pack Gabe in her suitcase and take him along.  Jessica has clarified in the comments that they do intend to keep singing to WWII veterans.  I just caught up with them.  

Goodness, these girls are boring.  And so incredibly stressed!  Their singing group season is over (except for those WWII gigs) because it would be far too stressful to continue now they live a few hours apart.

Charlotte is stressed beyond belief by getting dressed in the morning.  To go nowhere.  I lost count of the number of times she said stressed in that video where the earth shattering advice was to choose one "staple" color and declutter your closet. Decluttering is good but at her age I didn't have enough clothes to be stressed out by having too much choice.  Seriously, I only had 2 feet of hanging space and a couple of shelves at university.  I was stressed by making sure I had one pair of clean jeans to put on to go to lectures and stressed because I couldn't afford a formal dress for the Freshman Ball.  

Jessica, reposting an article from 2 years ago is lazy.  Calling an article you wrote yourself a "gem" is a bit conceited.  Let others blow your trumpet.  I absolutely love that vintage jacket though.

I so look forward to changes in your blog.  They can only be for the better.  

As lovely and exciting as all that may sound, I still hate to be so vague with you all. I feel like a little child standing in front of you with a present peeking out from behind my back. *chuckle*

Stop teasing us and spit out your new plans! *chuckle*  And for goodness sake work on subjects, objects and pronouns.

If you claim to be writers, managers, and creatives you need to use correct grammar.  Here you go: 

"I" is the pronoun you use when you are the subject of a sentence. Me is for when you are the object.

• My sisters and I went thrift store shopping. (subject)
  • Thrift store shopping is fun for my sisters and me. (object)

Now let us look at plurals:

• We is the plural of I.
  • Us is the plural of me.

Ergo: 

• We girls go shopping at the thrift store. (subject)
  • Free Jingers mocks us girls for our grammar. (object)

Get it, got it, good!

Is it possible the blog is still being controlled by Kurdish hackers, who impersonate the Boyers in order to indulge their secret passion for fashion?

Did Gabe™ ever come back to have further discussions?

32 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

Did Gabe™ ever come back to have further discussions?

He logged in yesterday (April 10) but hasn't posted since March 1. 

On 3/27/2017 at 0:34 PM, JMO said:

I don't understand why she didn't just raise the back of the shirt?  Alter the pattern and if she's not able to do it then abandon the project.  And the skit was not well done.  She struck out on that look.  I'm not a halter top fan because I feel like I'm being choked but the top otherwise was made well and attractive.  If you don't want to show off your midback/bra strap then make a shirt that covers it.

Related story:

A couple of years ago I went to an Elie Tahari sample sale.  There were a lot of Orthodox there.  I watched a tween/early teen girl in her very modest black outfit and stockings try on one fabulous sparkly non-modest dress after another.  All on top of her long sleeved, high necked black shirt and maxi skirt.  It made me smile because she was clearly having a good time but also sad that she would never be allowed to wear evening wear like that and she was clearly drawn to them. 

And the kicker there is that Tahari does make some lovely dresses that would have fit her requirements. And plenty of bridal shops carry beautiful boleros, shrugs, and toppers that can go over or under bodices for added modesty; I'd imagine that they're catering specifically to the modest wear market, or to wedding goers (brides, maids, and guests) who need to cover up at the religious ceremony but don't mind showing some boob and shoulder at the reception.

I say that people should wear whatever makes them feel beautiful and comfortable, but to me, so much "modern modest wear" is like nonalcoholic beer or vegan sausage: stop trying to emulate the thing you're trying to avoid; do your own thing, and you'll look (or taste) so much better.

16 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

"I" is the pronoun you use when you are the subject of a sentence. Me is for when you are the object.

• My sisters and I went thrift store shopping. (subject)
  • Thrift store shopping is fun for my sisters and me. (object)

In the pre-rabbit-hole-time me never had problems with I / me, although english is not my first language. But since me read these blog posts of certain people  (sometimes Duggar, Boyer, can't remember the other names) me am very confused about me and I. So thanks for your post, it will help I to remember the correct word. Did me make any mistakes?:confused2:

I just read their last couple of posts. They're just phoning it in at this point. I wonder if the "Winds of Change" refers to a new man for Jessica. Or maybe it's new business partners or sponsors. In general, the way all three of "the girls" write drives me up a wall! From the overuse of the words dear and lovely to the outright slaughtering of basic sentence structure and grammar, it's all difficult to read and take seriously.

18 hours ago, Bethella said:

He logged in yesterday (April 10) but hasn't posted since March 1. 

Well, Gabe did get rather laid up in lavender on the March for Life thread.  Deservedly so.

But he isn't scared of us at all. :my_rolleyes:

Phoning it in is right. I don't want to harp on every tiny detail but they're hitting all my personal blog pet peeves! Self-reposts and "reliving glory days" reuse of content, and now tutorials for basic shit...

The bentonite clay thing just has me smh. I mean, it's a fun fact that many people might not know, but I always hate it when bloggers make a whole glossy tutorial out of something that can be encapsulated in a sentence or two. "Hey, did you know you can clear stains up with just bentonite clay and water? It works really well!" would have sufficed in, say, a list of Vintage Homemaking TIps or something. But everything has to be a magazine spread with self-styling fashion bloggers...

*Reaches deep into my neverending supply of Boyer criticism*...speaking of tutorials, this irritated me when I was a beginner learning to garment sew:

http://boyersisters.com/2015/06/how-to-make-bound-buttonholes/

The problem is that for some reason, maybe for contrast? They have you sew wrong-side-to-right-side and then proceed with the bound buttonhole, which leaves you with...a buttonhole where the wrong side shows. Which...like...wtf? What kind of finishing is that? If you're doing it for contrast reasons (which for tutorial visuals is understandable), just use different fabric. I was totally thrown for a loop thinking surely no pattern would have me expose the wrong side of the fabric?

Then, of course, I went back thinking I was crazy or had sewn it incorrectly, and read the intro again:

I should mention right now that I was making the buttonhole in such a way so that the wrong side of the fabric would show in the end, so if you want your bound buttonhole to have the right side of the material showing, then make sure you mark your square on the wrong side of the material. Clear as mud? Good!

No explanation or bolded text to make sure a beginner would know why or when to do such a thing. Not to mention it would be more comprehensible if it were worded "Simply match your squares right-side-to-right-side, like so" and shown a photo of what the alternative would look like. It definitely clashes with the message here: http://boyersisters.com/2015/09/thoughts-on-clothing-finishes/

I dunno, maybe I'm just sore because it "ruined" (in my eyes) a garment I was working really hard on, but I think their tutorials are lazy. 

Man, these Boyers really get under my skin.

@Kariina: next time, just get a tutorial from somebody that knows what they are talking about.

And for the ruined garment: I really feel for you, I would have been mad as hell!!!!

1 hour ago, hollyandivy said:

@Kariina: next time, just get a tutorial from somebody that knows what they are talking about.

And for the ruined garment: I really feel for you, I would have been mad as hell!!!!

Oh believe me, I know better now. I go straight to a Vogue sewing book or just Google it.

But back when I didn't know squat, the Boyers' fancy vintage spreads looked so appealing. I was mostly using that tutorial just to give one of theirs a shot, not because I thought they were premier experts -- but I shouldn't have gambled.

What a metaphor for people being lured into fundiedom with these shiny (on the surface) blogs.

Hey Boyer Sisters!  Bentonite clay is also used as a laxative, so maybe you could swish some through your blog or take it yourselves, then the blog and you dearies will be less full of it. Sound great gals??

You can even do a snappy (and of course modest) photoshoot - you contemplating the clay, staring dreamily into space as you wait for it to work, looking pensive about just how many more times you'll need to go, spinning around laughing at how much dull repetitive waste has been removed and then staring seriously into the camera when thinking about how much toxic waste was sitting there gurgling away in the blog. I'm sure out a flood of unnecessary adjectives, *chuckles*, dears and incorrect grammar will come pouring out!

Funnily enough bentonite clay is also used to clarify wine which (*chuckles!!*) is what I feel like I need a lot of when I read that blog. Bottoms up gals (in more ways than one)!!

Well, I just checked in on the Boyer Sisters, dearies.

The big changes to their blog so far seem to be only updating once a week.  But this is their "work" isn't it?

In yesterday's earth shattering fashion news, Jessica has altered two blouses to make them sleeveless.   So much more comfy, and I do appreciate that the Boyer sisters do not think that nekkid arms are immodest.   In this  brand new endeavor she discovered that she had to take the blouses in at the sides because removing sleeves makes the armholes too big.  I could have told her that.

Multiple photos of Jessica looking her usual winsome self in one of the altered blouses (it is an unattractive floral) and those dreadful denim palazzo pants.

The sisters did a "survey" last fall that demonstrated that their readers are primarily interested in fashion, so I don't blame them for going in that direction.  But ...

Interestingly, their readers were also pretty keen on "guest posts" - the results were almost a 50:50 tie on that survey question.

I think their readers are getting as bored with the Boyer Sisters as I am.  Really, Brigid had the most to say - and it was on sewing.  Even though she wasn't that good at instructions see @Kariina's negative experiences with the button hole.  That is why real professionals test out instructions with survey groups before publishing them.  It is hard to make instructions clear.

According to the survey, apparently their readers are not terribly interested on the Boyers' lifestyle. Or their self-indulgent navel-gazing.  I'm surprised they have indulged in that so much recently after seeing the survey results.

All that said, I'd really like these young women to break out of their rut and do something new.

Anything new!

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived