IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters: Part 4

samurai_sarah

Carry on from here:

Last post from @sta_sha

My latest favourite is Spirits. It's two women who get drunk and discuss mythology from around the world.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the podcast suggestions.  Tomorrow is a big housecleaning day, and now I have something to listen to while I toil away the day.  

I love their blog, and I think they do podcasts- if anyone's obsessed with historical clothing, I recommend Frock Flicks! They are Degreed History Professionals (TM) who snark on historical inaccuracies in costume movies and period dramas. They make me laugh, and I'm just as discerning (aka insane and pedantic) about costumes as they are. Good stuff. I think even the sisters this thread is supposed to be about would enjoy it, if not for all the swearing and sex jokes.

Hear, hear! Amazing suggestions all around! Frock Flicks sounds amazing and seems apropos in this thread, haha!

Oh! Oh! Oh! I totally forgot to even mention -- Baby Geniuses, hosted by Emily Heller and Lisa Hanawalt, has an episode where they host an "expert" on (read: someone obsessed with) the idiosyncrasies of fundie women. It's episode 1 or 2 -- right out of the gate! I knew I was hooked when I got to listen to their guest explain the concept of "keeping sweet".

@sta_sha (sorry, I  don't think I can quote into a new thread)

I really like the new season of You must remember this. Since I love true crime, it's perfect! 

A braid tutorial/video up now on the blog. Actually something interesting! The unpolished styling suits Charlotte's wave pattern very well. 

I'm a bit intrigued that the sisters are angling towards getting more views on the blog with including keywords for the upcoming remake of Beauty and the Beast... It's disappointing though they didn't think to angle their giveaway with the hair tutorial... I mean, if you're going to be enterprising with your blog, you gotta look for all cross-promotion opportunities! Ladies, step it up! 

With the references to the movie, and given their penchant for liking fairy tales, I wonder how much of Disney the sisters have been allowed to consume? I mean, even the Duggars got a taste of Disney with their sponsored trip during Disneyland's 50th birthday on their Discovery Health special On the Road with 16 Children, although we saw Michelle much more excited for the whole thing than any of the actual kids. But where do the sisters fall? Are they partial to only princess stories?  

Although this is probably a bit BEC, my wrists and hands hurt just watching Jessica braid overhand like that... I mean, I haven't seriously braided hair since I was in high school over a decade ago, but that hand positioning makes me cry! Save your wrists... Underhand braid for less hand/wrist fatigue!

3 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

A braid tutorial/video up now on the blog. Actually something interesting! The unpolished styling suits Charlotte's wave pattern very well. 

I'm a bit intrigued that the sisters are angling towards getting more views on the blog with including keywords for the upcoming remake of Beauty and the Beast... It's disappointing though they didn't think to angle their giveaway with the hair tutorial... I mean, if you're going to be enterprising with your blog, you gotta look for all cross-promotion opportunities! Ladies, step it up! 

With the references to the movie, and given their penchant for liking fairy tales, I wonder how much of Disney the sisters have been allowed to consume? I mean, even the Duggars got a taste of Disney with their sponsored trip during Disneyland's 50th birthday on their Discovery Health special On the Road with 16 Children, although we saw Michelle much more excited for the whole thing than any of the actual kids. But where do the sisters fall? Are they partial to only princess stories?  

Although this is probably a bit BEC, my wrists and hands hurt just watching Jessica braid overhand like that... I mean, I haven't seriously braided hair since I was in high school over a decade ago, but that hand positioning makes me cry! Save your wrists... Underhand braid for less hand/wrist fatigue!

I'm sure that they love the classic Disney princesses (Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty) and maybe Belle and Ariel. Jasmine is too immodest/independent, Pocahontas and Mulan have too much agency and not enough costume changes, Tiana is probably a bit beyond their time/black, they probably like Rapunzel and Elsa without understanding what the entire points of those characters were (you should assert yourself/not repress your true feelings), and Moana has too much agency and not enough costume changes.

If you love podcasts, I recommend You Must Remember This, which is stories from Hollywood's first century.  I especially love the Blacklist series, as there's a lot about the Red Scare, and the allied Antisemitism that is relateable to the Islamaphobia in the USA/UK right now.  They're really well researched, and she tells a story really well.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com

On 2/21/2017 at 4:51 PM, MargaretElliott said:

if anyone's obsessed with historical clothing, I recommend Frock Flicks!

Oh, my! I am going to waste so much time on that site.  I'm not sure whether I should thank you profusely or curse you - but I'm going with the former. :)

I've only looked at the "tiaras in Victoria" article so far.  ::Coughs:: I too let out a yelp of horror at seeing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland on Lady Emma and winced at the Cartier Bandeau appearing on some random courtier 70 years before it was made.  

I'm not seeing a whole new direction for the Boyer Sisters' blog so far although the podcast thing was quite interesting.  We now seem to be back to hairstyles and Charlotte looking winsome whilst modeling her latest Winter Wonderland outfit.  Oh, and plugging her earrings with no disclosure of affiliate links.  I think they should look into that whole thing for their own sakes.  Here you go, girls:  http://bloggylaw.com/blogger-disclosure-examples-tips/

I like how Charlotte is growing out her hair. It looks cute leaving it curly. She talks about finding her own personal style this year. I'm wondering if she just followed the style of her older sisters due to their singing group style. And now that the singing group is done and Brigid has moved out, she probably feels like she can explore her own style now. She says she will grow her hair out. That will be a major difference between she and her sisters. Let's just hope she doesn't adopt the same old long wavy hair style all the other fundies seem to have now (Duggars and Bates).

On 2/24/2017 at 5:52 PM, MargaretElliott said:

@Palimpsest- sorry, and you're welcome :D I love that they bust so many historical clothing myths. Corsets can be comfortable, dammit!

Thanks again. I loved the post where Frock Flicks  pointed out that Hollywood had women wearing corsets upsidedown.  And without chemises. 

:laughing-jumpingpurple: I owe you big time!

New blog post! Gabe (and Levi, must have been awkward for Jessica...) had a birthday ball. Because of course they did, can't just have a regular birthday party, it must be a ball! 

IMG_0012.jpg

The guest were supposed to dress up as they're favorite charachters, and Gabe and Brigid was Molly Gibson and Roger Hamley from Wives and Daughters. 
Justine-in-Wives-Daughters-justine-waddell-5313664-500-330.jpg

This is the dress she was going for, but I don't think it looks the same. I know the lighting is off in the top picture, but the fabric looks too light? And it's not fitted enough. 

They threw a birthday ball for Gabe and maybe his friend Levi.  Not sure 100% on Levi.  It was a costume ball,  everyone dressed as their favorite movie or TV character. Brigid hand sewed her dress. It was impressive to me. Gabe didn't finish his outfit in time and threw together his outfit, it was also impressive.  I have no idea who they were supposed to be, even though she said who. Mommy and Daddy Boyer didn't dress up, his face in the family picture cracks me up.  Several pictures of the event. Kids fighting gotta go. 

Too late!

Charlotte as Leisl Von Trapp looked fabulous.  and, yes, their father's expression was as good as the thanksgiving photo.  

was the party held in the same church where Brigid got married?

The next time chaos rears its ugly head in the ChunkyBarbie Dream House, I'm going to picture Daddy Boyer's expression in that photo and LMBO. It is snark gold. 

3 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

The next time chaos rears its ugly head in the ChunkyBarbie Dream House, I'm going to picture Daddy Boyer's expression in that photo and LMBO. It is snark gold. 

his headshot would make a killer avatar.

4 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

We'll see what people think.

He looks like he just got a whiff of something foul.  

I guess if some peopke can have "resting bitch face", then other people can have "resting something reeks" face? :56247953c05d2_32(6):

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived