IGNORED

Rebecca Eleventy!!!!! went to a dance!

WonderingInWA

Breaking news! The former Maxwell wannabe, Rebecca Kellum (also known here as Rebecca Eleventy!!!!) was allowed to go to a dance!  She had fun and hopefully was able to mingle with some single boys her own age, although the photos aren't terribly encouraging.  But maybe her wise headship is finally allowing her a little fun?  Go, Rebecca!

http://hiswayserves-hiswayserves.blogspot.com/

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh how nice! She and her sister must have really!!! enjoyed it. I'm really glad she never became a Maxwell, all the life would've been sucked out of her by now and there'd be no dance or Shelock Holmes nights had she become a Maxwellian tits2woman. Rebecca has always seemed like a really sweet girl who loves her family with all her heart and I only wish her well. I hope there's someone equally caring and sweet in her circle who will love her and appreciate her the way she deserves so that she can get married. I know she's still a fundie but unlike most other fundies she's not the type for smug diatribes (Jessa and Bin anyone?) or blank hate (think: Zsu) and she's nowhere near as boring or robotic as the Maxwells or as arrogant and self-complacent as the Botkinettes. All of the above would look down on her and her family and I hope she gets as far away from that kind of people as possible. 

Who's that little boy in the Christmas pictures?

Yay insomnia, I have nothing better to do so I looked through the blog @pretzel he's a foster child who lives with the family. 

@howl no she'sshe's wearing a black skirt and blue top.

Hmm, my tags didn't work...

Contra dancing is a  lot of fun. I used to be in the pickup bands at contra dance gatherings. It's fairly easy to "court" at them, since you have some fast dances, but more are slow, and you can gaze at each other, even talk a bit.

Here's where I am going to go on a little rant.  Maybe I am just confused, but isn't she a bit too old to be going to a school dance?  Unless I miss my guess, she could easily have children of her own by now.

That is one of the things that really irritates me about the fundie world.  The parents absolutely insist on infantilizing their adult children.  

Ahh, I'm glad she got to go to this. 

Odd thing about fundies, they worship the past so much but are usually so dismissive of things like country dances. Maybe contra dance will be the next trend?

I really hope Rebecca is able to find someone. She's super sweet and seems to enjoy life. 

I agree, though, she is kind of old to be going to any sort of homeschoolers' event. 

I was just wondering about Rebecca!!!11! I'm glad she is having some fun. Not very many males were present.  I remember seeing a couple boys and maybe four other males. I hope she gets more opportunities to meet others and have fun with friends. I hope her parents don't expect God to drop a son-in-law on their doorstep. He is too busy with the Orange Menace in the White House to be delivering fundy husbands to fair fundy maidens. 

I see a lot of myself in Rebecca.  In FJ cosplay, I'd show up as Rebecca Eleventy.  I can't help but be happy for her.  

I mean, I'd love for her to leavefundiedom, find a nice guy, have an egalitarian marriage and/or whatever else she wants.  

But, regardless, I'm glad she's having fun.  

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Odd thing about fundies, they worship the past so much but are usually so dismissive of things like country dances. Maybe contra dance will be the next trend?

I really hope Rebecca is able to find someone. She's super sweet and seems to enjoy life. 

I agree, though, she is kind of old to be going to any sort of homeschoolers' event. 

It's been the trend for awhile, here on the west coast anyway. I know one family who started an English country dancing organization specifically to help their daughters find husband. "If you don't have a spousal pool for your children, create one!" That was maybe add long as 10 yrs ago and there are several more in the area, some serious, others more casual. 

Rebecca is 25 but I think mentally much younger -- she just recently passed her GED.  Too bad all the Serven boys her age are taken -- the Servens like to dance.  I wonder if there are any Sanders boys her age?  They like to have fun.  Somebody needs to play matchmaker for her and it's apparently not going to be good old Jerry Kellum.

2 hours ago, WonderingInWA said:

Rebecca is 25 but I think mentally much younger -- she just recently passed her GED.  Too bad all the Serven boys her age are taken -- the Servens like to dance.  I wonder if there are any Sanders boys her age?  They like to have fun.  Somebody needs to play matchmaker for her and it's apparently not going to be good old Jerry Kellum.

I thought she was about 17.  Hmm.  I had no idea. 

I'm glad Rebecca has fun and has exposure to normal things in life- like trips to Cracker Barrel and movie nights. She is very talented. She has some serious gift wrapping skills. I'm a gift bag girl- throw it in a bag and go. She has shown some of the things she's wrapped and I'd be crying in the corner trying to do half of what she's shown. I hope she finds a man who appreciates and loves her. 

It's too bad there's no age appropriate Munck boys for her (unless I'm forgetting someone!) They seem like they'd be a potentially great 'fit' extended family wise plus exposure wise.

Rebecca loves animals and they've got their grooming / board thing still, right? Plus they're into parties and decorating and going all out, which in her way, Rebecca does also. And they just seem like a kind bunch that try to make the most out of even the little things (plus it'd broaden her horizons even more) - and of course both families formerly pretty steeped in Maxwell kool-aid / fandom and seeming to have left that behind.

I could see her with an Arndt manboy, her sister could marry one too and they'd have fun together.  

Hmm FJ Coplay, what a fun idea! I don't know who I'd be but I'll have a think about it. Is this a thread? If not it should be!

I know we all want marriage for Rebecca, and I love the girl (she truly is sweet), but I'm not sure marriage is a responsible choice for her.

She's mentally MUCH younger than her physical age, and not in the normal, fundie sheltered way.   She reminds me of my cousin who, due to various issues, got "stuck" at a certain age socially.  However, unlike my cousin (who is of normal intelligence and will graduate roughly on time), she seems to be behind intellectually as well.  

We are so used to kidults, but this goes beyond that.  At 25 Rebecca is still a child, far more than Jana or Joy or Tori.  She might never become a true adult.  I don't know of any fundie guys who would be cut out for the unique demands of being a partner to someone who may need help or never be able to catch up. 

She's a sweet, sweet girl.  But I don't see her being cut out to be a homeschooling mom of many or a fundie wife. 

Dancing doesn't have to be for finding a man.  I'm just glad she enjoyed a fun girls' night out - I love going dancing with my girlfriends. 

On 2/20/2017 at 0:05 PM, anjulibai said:

Odd thing about fundies, they worship the past so much but are usually so dismissive of things like country dances

That's not been my observation at all. Here in Arndtland, you can't swing a softball bat without finding a home school country dance group or homeschool-types in enthusiastic attendance at a public dance -- which are held way oftener than people might guess.

Old-time dancing -- pre partner-dancing -- is fabulous in several ways and around here at least, HSers seem to get it.  

It's energetic, requires only hand contact 99% of the time, teaches rhythm and is mathematical in its patterns, gives the HS old-time musicians something to play for, can include insights  into historical customs and mores, offers all kinds of learning to anyone who aspires to call the dances ... and it just feels good to be part of a coordinated (oftentimes), colorful and swirling group effort. Oh, and there are almost infinite levels of speed and complication of the dances so that truly, even young grade schoolers and creaky oldsters can participate at least for a few bars of the tune.

Any fundie who dismisses it, really misses the boat, and should be regarded with the side eyes saved for Maxwell and Pearl and PP!

I am glad to see that Rebecca is having some fun.  She certainly wouldn't have had that if she got her wish and made it into Maxhell.   

17 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I know we all want marriage for Rebecca, and I love the girl (she truly is sweet), but I'm not sure marriage is a responsible choice for her.

She's mentally MUCH younger than her physical age, and not in the normal, fundie sheltered way.   She reminds me of my cousin who, due to various issues, got "stuck" at a certain age socially.  However, unlike my cousin (who is of normal intelligence and will graduate roughly on time), she seems to be behind intellectually as well.  

We are so used to kidults, but this goes beyond that.  At 25 Rebecca is still a child, far more than Jana or Joy or Tori.  She might never become a true adult.  I don't know of any fundie guys who would be cut out for the unique demands of being a partner to someone who may need help or never be able to catch up. 

She's a sweet, sweet girl.  But I don't see her being cut out to be a homeschooling mom of many or a fundie wife. 

She might be delayed or a little slow but that really doesn't mean she couldn't get married. My cousin is mildly intellectually disabled (enough so that he participated in the Special Olympics as a kid) and he's happily married with 2 kids.  Now I agree that she's not cut out to be a homeschooling mom but then again, I think that applies to 75% of the homeschooling moms we talk about here. 

I like Rebecca and her family, they seem sweet human beings despite their beliefs and actually walk the walk (fostering kids, helping in their community) unlike others so called "christians". If a fundie girl deserves kids it's Rebecca soooo I'd rather see her having kids than a lot of other fundies who just pawn off their children to everybody else.

I'm not seeing the intellectual disability in Miss Eleventy that others seem to notice.  She apparently graduated from home school a little late (according to this thread), but otherwise I've never noticed anything that gave me pause (I'm not an expert on delays, but I currently teach literature and writing at two different colleges, a state college and a community college.)

That said, I don't visit her blog all that often.  

I always thought her disadvantages in her world came from being poor, having to work with her family (for money, as a woman, gasp!) to contribute to the household, and being plain in appearance.  All things that I loathe to be judged, btw.

"We stayed out late, but it was worth it." 

Bless her. 

I'm glad she is enjoying herself, and seemed to know a lot of people. 

Archived