IGNORED

Trump 12: Nevertheless, She Persisted (Let's do the same!)

Destiny

9 minutes ago, JMarie said:

Are there any FJers working in insurance?  Will being able to buy insurance across state lines really be cheaper than how things are done now?  Because I keep hearing how coverage for pre-existing conditions and kids being able to stay on their parents' insurance until age 26 will be part of the new and improved health plan.  The crossing state line thing seems to be the only original idea.

I'm not in the insurance industry, but my guess is no.  Each state has its own laws and policies with regards to insurance.  An insurance company having to provide 50 different types of policies tailored to each state will only add more admin costs which, of course, will be passed down to consumers.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm kind of surprised that Agent Fornicate Face hasn't been stuffing his pants with codpieces.  You know he probably wants people to think his is bigger than  the previous 44 men who held the office. 

I am so scared. He dismisses proof of his lies - very convincingly - and is moving to a dictatorial if not fascist state, And his base applauds! I don't know how we stop the moronic tangerine toddler and his sidekick Bannon  from achieving the latter's aim - to dismantle the US constitution.  Bannon has said again and again that this is his aim - how can Republicans in the House and Senate just go along? If he succeeds, then there will be no republican or democratic agenda - it will be free for all for who can profit!

I truly believe that Bannon is the most dangerous figure in US politics in at least 80 years - and he has a moronic President to manipulate, who will only see short term gains for his own companies.

Great point Bill: 

@formergothardite: I think you were the one who said a few weeks ago that someone needs to keep a tally of how much Melania is costing the taxpayers by staying in New York, so I thought you might enjoy this tweet: 

1 hour ago, JMarie said:

Are there any FJers working in insurance?  Will being able to buy insurance across state lines really be cheaper than how things are done now?  Because I keep hearing how coverage for pre-existing conditions and kids being able to stay on their parents' insurance until age 26 will be part of the new and improved health plan.  The crossing state line thing seems to be the only original idea.

The crossing state lines is just a smoke screen. The "idea" is that if you live in a state with few choices of carrier, you could buy from another state, but as was pointed out above, each state has separate insurance regulations, so it's not feasible.

This probably belongs in the Congress thread, but because it is germane to the current discussion, here we go: "Death and Tax Cuts".  Some of the key points:

Across the country, Republicans have been facing crowds demanding to know how they will protect the 20 million Americans who gained health insurance thanks to the Affordable Care Act, and will lose it if the act is repealed. And after all that inveighing against the evils of Obamacare, it turns out that they’ve got nothing.

Instead, they’re talking about freedom — which these days is the real refuge of scoundrels.

Actually, many prominent Republicans haven’t even gotten to the point of trying to respond to criticism; they’re just whining about how mean their constituents are being, and invoking conspiracy theories. Talk about snowflakes who can dish it out but can’t take it!

Thus, Representative Jason Chaffetz insisted that the public outcry is just “a paid attempt to bully and intimidate”; Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, calls all anti-Trump demonstrations a “very paid, AstroTurf-type movement.” And the tweeter in chief angrily declared that protests have been “planned out by liberal activists” — because what could be worse than political action by the politically active?

But perhaps the saddest spectacle is that of Paul Ryan, the speaker of the House, whom the media have for years portrayed as a serious, honest conservative, a deep thinker about how to reform America’s safety net. That reputation was never justified; still, even those of us who long ago recognized him as a flimflammer have been struck by his utter failure to rise to this occasion.

After years to prepare, Mr. Ryan finally unveiled what was supposedly the outline of a health care plan. It was basically a sick joke: flat tax credits, unrelated to income, that could be applied to the purchase of insurance.

These credits would be obviously inadequate for the lower- and even middle-income families that gained coverage under Obamacare, so it would cause a huge surge in the number of uninsured. Meanwhile, the affluent would receive a nice windfall. Funny how that seems to happen in every plan Mr. Ryan proposes.

That was last week. This week, perhaps realizing how flat his effort fell, he began tweeting about freedom, which he defined as “the ability to buy what you want to fit what you need.” Give me consumer sovereignty or give me death! And Obamacare, he declared, is bad because it deprives Americans of that freedom by doing things like establishing minimum standards for insurance policies.

I very much doubt that this is going to fly, now that ordinary Americans are starting to realize just how devastating loss of coverage would be. But for the record, let me remind everyone what we’ve been saying for years: Any plan that makes essential care available to everyone has to involve some restriction of choice.

So yes, Obamacare somewhat restricts choice — not because meddling bureaucrats want to run your life, but because some restrictions are necessary as part of a package that in many ways sets Americans free.

For health reform has been a hugely liberating experience for millions. It means that workers don’t have to fear that quitting a job with a large company will mean loss of health coverage, and that entrepreneurs don’t have to fear striking out on their own. It means that those 20 million people who gained coverage don’t have to fear financial ruin if they get sick — or unnecessary death if they can’t afford treatment. For there is no real question that Obamacare is saving tens of thousands of lives every year.

So why do Republicans hate Obamacare so much? It’s not because they have better ideas; as we’ve seen over the past few weeks, they’re coming up empty-handed on the “replace” part of “repeal and replace.” It’s not, I’m sorry to say, because they are deeply committed to Americans’ right to buy the insurance policy of their choice.

No, mainly they hate Obamacare for two reasons: It demonstrates that the government can make people’s lives better, and it’s paid for in large part with taxes on the wealthy. Their overriding goal is to make those taxes go away. And if getting those taxes cut means that quite a few people end up dying, remember: freedom!

I so agree -- the Repubs don't like the ACA because it makes people's lives better at the expense of the wealthy. Oh, the horror.

36 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I am so scared. He dismisses proof of his lies - very convincingly - and is moving to a dictatorial if not fascist state, And his base applauds! I don't know how we stop the moronic tangerine toddler and his sidekick Bannon  from achieving the latter's aim - to dismantle the US constitution.  Bannon has said again and again that this is his aim - how can Republicans in the House and Senate just go along? If he succeeds, then there will be no republican or democratic agenda - it will be free for all for who can profit!

I thought this was Republican teabaggers agenda all along /sarcasm. 

You might also like Viareggio's carnival take on Trump and his idea of a "great" America. The carro is named "bang bang ". I don't know why I can't paste the link. I'll try later

Trump's federal hiring freeze is affecting daycare centers on military bases: 

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/military-bases-forced-to-cancel-child-care-programs-due-to-trump-hiring-freeze/

Two major U.S. army bases are being forced to shutter child care programs for the children of active duty service members because President Donald Trump instituted a hiring freeze.

According to Military.com,  military families with children in childhood development centers (CDC’s) at Fort Knox and U.S. Army Garrison Wiesbaden, Germany, have been notified that the hourly care programs are being suspend and that no new enrolees will be taken.

“Effective immediately, no new children will be enrolled in the CDC,” Fort Knox garrison commander Col. Stephen Aiton wrote in a letter to base personnel. “Also, effective 27 February 2017, the CDC will no longer accommodate childcare for our hourly care and part day families until further notice.”

The letter went on to explain, “We are prevented from bringing new caregivers on board but are still having our usual staff turnover and illnesses, which creates challenges to maintaining ratios and providing quality childcare.”

Hmm . . . it's as if making rash, poorly thought out decisions that are based on political posturing is a bad idea. Crazy. 

Wow. Trump blocked CNN, NY Times, LA Times and Politico from White House Media Briefing. 

So much for those conservatives clinging to the Constitution.  

Any news tRump does not like - true or not = fake news.

Anyone who does not agree with him = fake opposition - the libtards!

Any news media that dares to criticise - ban them. (See above).

Any opposition from established govmt = the swamp!

Make no mistake. we are moving towards fascism.

I wrote my Uni thesis on Hitler's rise - pre 1933 - and the parallels are there, and terrifying. Discredit genuine criticism, blacken the names of those who oppose you, and get your agenda through when people are distracted by balloons you fly that mean nothing.

I don't live in the US, but what he does affects the world. I can't protest - I am not a US voter - but those of you who can - PLEASE protest, scream, shout, attend town halls, everything you can - for your sake, and for the rest of the world.

I have never, in my more than 60 years on this planet, seen a more self interested government in  what is supposed to be a democracy.

And, unfortunately, this is the most powerful and influential 'democracy' in the world, and affects us all.

14 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Wow. Trump blocked CNN, NY Times, LA Times and Politico from White House Media Briefing. 

So much for those conservatives clinging to the Constitution.  

Shit. We are moving to a fascist autocracy - these are not outlier media, they are CENTRAL media  - and the present WH bans them?

The first step to an autocracy is gagging the media. He's doing it.

Any reaction from The House? Does Ryan think this is OK? Does McConnell think this acceptable?

There has to be pushback if the checks and balances are to work - but the Founding Fathers never envisaged such an entitled, self interested House.

tRump is censoring the information that the average joe receives - only if it has his spin is it acceptable. He bans CNN? That would be like banning the BBC in the UK - and should be greeted with massive anger and demonstrations. He IS a fascist , and controlling the media is just step one.....

More details are coming in, but considering the Orange Jerk was going on and on about the media being the opposition party just this morning at the CPAC, there is no doubt in my mind that Spicer and the rest of the Trump minions did this on purpose. No doubt. 

Wait, what? 
Not that it's unexpected from Trump, it's just very fast. Makes you wonder, how it's gonna be in a year. Of four years. 
Get rid of him, USA. Before it's too late. 

This CPAC speech is just idiotic. Has anyone told Trump we know he won the election? He is so obsessed with himself! 

He says the fucking wall is going to start way ahead of schedule. OK. We're getting the bad dudes out! :angry-banghead:

1 minute ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Get rid of him, USA. Before it's too late. 

We are trying. I promise. We are really trying. That is why I am not on here as much as I used to be. Protesting and screaming. That is about all I do as of late. 

4 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

This CPAC speech is just idiotic. Has anyone told Trump we know he won the election? He is so obsessed with himself! 

He says the fucking wall is going to start way ahead of schedule. OK. We're getting the bad dudes out! :angry-banghead:

Notice in Jerk's speech all he talked about was spending money like it was raining down from the sky in unlimited supply? Um, how is this even a Republican stance? I thought their whole argument was less spending? 

Oh, fuck... Here we go with the inner cities. Gang members and drug dealers... Throwing them the hell out of our country. 

He's not making sense. 

Chicago again. Ugh. 

5 minutes ago, Mecca said:

We are trying. I promise. We are really trying. That is why I am not on here as much as I used to be. Protesting and screaming. That is about all I do as of late. 

Notice in Jerk's speech all he talked about was spending money like it was raining down from the sky in unlimited supply? Um, how is this even a Republican stance? I thought their whole argument was less spending? 

Money is no problem. Mexico is going to take care of everything! 

8 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I know, and I truly admire American resistance. It was just a scream of despair.

Is there anything non-Americans can do? ANYTHING? Because I'm so tired of just watching in terror. 

BTW, can you imagine the right pushback if HRC had won, and banned Breitbart from WH briefings?

And they are crazy right - CNN and NYT are NOT crazy left!

Can you imagine the pushback if HRC had won the EC, and then banned Breitbart from WH briefings? By no stretch of the imagination are CNN and NYT extremist left organisations, as Breitbart is of the right..  We are seeing a muzzling of criticism - not necessarily opposition, just criticism - this is the birth of an authoritarian state. I get more scared day by day.

Can you imagine if HRC had won the EC, and then banned Breitbart from WH briefings? The pushback would have been unreal

But Breitbart is an overtly rightist source - both  the NYT and CNN have a record of calling out both sides

We are seeing censorship of news which is one of the first steps to autocracy. I really do not see how we counter this - send in journalists with wires? I truly believe that the US has a press that will call tRump out - but at the risk of being banned......

Can his base support not see the danger of muzzling criticism? That this is the road to fascism and autocracy? Every government should be called upon to explain their policies by a free press - and if they cannot, be called to account.

43 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Wait, what? 

That's exactly what I said. I go do yoga and etc for an hour and fucking Cheeto is fucking playing at being Stalin again. Fucking hell why is no one stopping him on the right? Even they have to know how bad this is. 

28 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

I know, and I truly admire American resistance. It was just a scream of despair.

Is there anything non-Americans can do? ANYTHING? Because I'm so tired of just watching in terror. 

It never hurts to reach out to the White House and tell them how the policies and procedures of any administration effects the rest of the world. They need to know not only are we watching here in the U.S., but so is the rest of the world. 

There's just something I really don't get. I mean, the Tangerine Toddler is a patsy. Bannon is an alt-right fascist pig who wants to destroy government and the constitution. They have some cronies in the WH aiding and abetting them. However much this horrifies me, I can understand them. They're fascists who are getting to do whatever they want.

What I completely fail to see is how in FSM's name the GOP is rationalizing this. Voting for nominees that clearly have agenda's to dismantle the very departments they are supposed to lead. Closing their eyes to the dubious ties to Russia. And now this muzzling of the free press?

:dontgetit:

FWIW - Laurence Tribe, whose tweet was posted above, is the leading Constitutional expert in the country. His "Constitutional Law" textbook has probably been studied by the majority of attorneys currently practicing in this country over the last 30 years or more.  Anything he says about the law deserves great weight.

And on another recurring issue, my friend who lives in Palm Beach County, Florida says residents have been told (warned) that Cheeto is headed back down there next weekend.  We shall see. . .

24 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Snip

Can his base support not see the danger of muzzling criticism? That this is the road to fascism and autocracy? Every government should be called upon to explain their policies by a free press - and if they cannot, be called to account.

They will only see it and start to feel a small concern if Fox News is banned. Otherwise, it's the "Liberal Media", as defined by Fox News and the Republicans.

3 hours ago, JMarie said:

Forbes says no: https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2016/10/10/sorry-trump-selling-health-insurance-across-state-lines-wouldnt-lower-costs/#45a999821514

So does LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-insurance-state-lines-20161114-story.html

....and NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/upshot/the-problem-with-gop-plans-to-sell-health-insurance-across-state-lines.html

As does the National Association of Insurance Commissioners: http://www.naic.org/documents/topics_interstate_sales_myths.pdf

I'm going with 'no thanks' on that plan. 

10 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

They will only see it and start to feel a small concern if Fox News is banned. Otherwise, it's the "Liberal Media", as defined by Fox News and the Republicans.

Pretty much that, alas. 

• Destiny locked this topic
  • Destiny unpinned this topic

Archived