IGNORED

Dillards 26 - Grifting All The Way!

choralcrusader8613

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't understand how the Dillards are blowing through money so fast. And I don't just mean I'm being judgmental, which I am - I mean I legitimately can't comprehend what they could possibly be spending it all on.

We're talking about a family of three who live rent-free when they're in the United States and have a developing world cost of living (even with their comparatively luxurious accommodations) when they're in El Salvador. Their expenses can't be that high.

But somehow they've burned through the reality show money from TLC, the donations they've already solicited, whatever money they got from SOS, and the money Derick made substitute teaching... and now need $24,000 more.

What exactly are they spending all that money on? They seem like a financial black hole, and I don't see any obvious channel where it would all be going.

The only thing I can think of would be medical bills, but IIRC, a lot of that happened when Derick was working at Wal-Mart and presumably had health insurance. :dontgetit:

I imagine the airfare costs of their constant coming and going from CA could add up over time, but again, it wouldn't be $24k worth. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bethella said:

People have mentioned BG's advocacy of home birthing but remember that finances also play a role. M had issues with unpaid medical bills (from Jessa's delivery) and ended up having the next two babies (Jinger and Joseph) at home. Part of that decision was almost certainly due to the cheaper price. They've never admitted it but I suspect the reason they returned to hospital deliveries was due to Josiah's "minor birth defect"

What was Josiah's defect??

3 minutes ago, Pasta said:

What was Josiah's defect??

They've never said, just referred to it as a "minor birth defect" that was repaired surgically when he was six months old.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I don't understand how the Dillards are blowing through money so fast. And I don't just mean I'm being judgmental, which I am - I mean I legitimately can't comprehend what they could possibly be spending it all on.

We're talking about a family of three who live rent-free when they're in the United States and have a developing world cost of living (even with their comparatively luxurious accommodations) when they're in El Salvador. Their expenses can't be that high.

But somehow they've burned through the reality show money from TLC, the donations they've already solicited, whatever money they got from SOS, and the money Derick made substitute teaching... and now need $24,000 more.

What exactly are they spending all that money on? They seem like a financial black hole, and I don't see any obvious channel where it would all be going.

Well, Derick needs orthodontia, Izzy and Democratic People's Republic of North Korea need baby equipment that Jill and Derick will never use safely or properly, Jill needs to go out for pizza so she can avoid eating Brown People Food that isn't Americanized to the point of unrecognizability, and they need to fly back to Real America whenever a family member farts. You can burn through a lot of money just with those expenses.

So I'm sure this has been covered already. Forgive me. But can the baby she's carrying get infected with Zika? Or is there only a certain point in gestation where it's a real danger? 

Also, $24,000? Gee wouldn't it be nice if I could set up an online fundraiser and make that much money? :pb_rollseyes: In all seriousness, they should be embarrassed asking for that kind of money to literally do nothing. They're not building a school, safehouse for women, bettering access to clean water, or funding school tuition. They fly back and forth often, "minister" to the people (whatever that means), and take care of their own needs. Derick should get a job, they should both stop relying on daddy Jim bob and build their own life. Between a job and money from TlC, they should be fine in place like Arkansas, where the cost of living is low. 

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

They probably haven't blown through the money they make off TLC, but don't feel as though they should pay to do their missionary work. They make money off of someone following them around filming them doing absolutely nothing and get paid for it. The duggars have been raking it in this way for years not to mention all the freebies that they have dropped hints and received.  At this point I am sure these two feel entitled to having other people pay to preach their BS, live comfortably, and turn a profit.

3 minutes ago, GotCaughtDancing said:

They probably haven't blown through the money they make off TLC, but don't feel as though they should pay to do their missionary work. They make money off of someone following them around filing them doing absolutely nothing and get paid for it. The duggars have been raking it in this way for years not to mention all the freebies that they have dropped hints and received.  At this point I am sure these two feel entitled to having other people pay to preach their BS, live comfortably, and turn a profit.

I agree with this. I am sure they can afford it, but in their minds, they deserve to be supported by others. Being part of a missionary is collecting donations, and they want that "real missionary" experience.

It's like WestWorld, but for Christian hippies - everything is about making their experience more authentic, more real. 

4 minutes ago, GotCaughtDancing said:

not to mention all the freebies that they have dropped hints and received

Remember all the wedding presents too? These 2 have grifted from the 1st possible opportunity.

We don't fully understand the risks of Zika infection. We know that exposure early in pregnancy can cause microcephaly. We have evidence that Zika can be transmitted sexually and that it hangs out in the bloodstream for several months, so there is a risk to fetal development even if a woman gets pregnant weeks/months after her last exposure. There is also some evidence of problems other than microcephaly that might come from exposure to Zika at any point during gestation, including less physically obvious problems with neurological development.

19 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

I quoted it a while back on here (too lazy to go looking for it right now), but there's also a source that talks about if a woman wants a VBAC, she should focus on scripture passages to make sure that the vaginal birth happens smoothly.

Found the other quote in my post history:

"A couple who is contemplating a VBAC [Vaginal Birth After Cesarean] should ask the Lord to give them a specific portion of Scripture that they can claim for the birth. Both the father and the mother should memorize and meditate on this passage and use it to conquer any fear that may come during the pregnancy or delivery." Taken from http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/gothard/general.htm

The entire page goes into way more of the hypocrisy of Gothardism for those who aren't as familiar with the teachings and work of Bill Gothard/ATI/IBLP.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

I wonder if each missionary has to raise a certain dollar amount in order to be part of the SOS mission?

8 hours ago, Finduilas said:

This is going to end badly ... 

I seriously can't understand how this girl (because she is acting like a girl, not a grown-ass woman) has supposedly been trained her whole life to be a wife and mother YET she is irresponsible, putting her life and the life of her unborn son at risk (and even more importantly putting her fully-born kid at risk of growing up without a mother) for Jesus and $ ..

Unfortunately when your teacher is Michelle, it doesn't matter how long you've been training to be a mother. Putting their own selfish wants before the welfare of their children is what her parents do best, and it's what Jill thinks is normal. 

I guess it is a case of always wanting more. Since marriage, every thing has been handed to the Dullards on a plate. It's obviously not enough.

Kind of like the "winning the lottery ruined my life" woman.

Still not good, but you get the point.

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Found the other quote in my post history:

"A couple who is contemplating a VBAC [Vaginal Birth After Cesarean] should ask the Lord to give them a specific portion of Scripture that they can claim for the birth. Both the father and the mother should memorize and meditate on this passage and use it to conquer any fear that may come during the pregnancy or delivery." Taken from http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/gothard/general.htm

The entire page goes into way more of the hypocrisy of Gothardism for those who aren't as familiar with the teachings and work of Bill Gothard/ATI/IBLP.

I find it really creepy, but not surprised,  that BG would even touch on this. BG thinks he is God and his orders should be followed as such...me thinks this is called being a false idol and I do believe God had something to say about that in their holy book. the fact that a preacher/minister/chruch etc., is in the middle of your birthing plan makes me cringe. The amount of control these people put into this guy is really scary.

2 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Wouldn't the baby have already been exposed to zika since he was conceived a few months after they returned? 

It's possible that Jill knows she has already been exposed previously and maybe there is minimal additional risk for secondary exposure? Im trying to find the logic here. I assumed it wasn't coincidental that they did not gotten pregnant during their time there and that they must have been preventing but now I'm not so sure because why are they returning now?

1 minute ago, Snarkle Motion said:

It's possible that Jill knows she has already been exposed previously and maybe there is minimal additional risk for secondary exposure? Im trying to find the logic here. I assumed it wasn't coincidental that they did not gotten pregnant during their time there and that they must have been preventing but now I'm not so sure because why are they returning now?

I've had the same thoughts...surely she wouldn't be that selfish to get pregnant knowing all of the risks associated with Zika.  Oh wait...I forgot because Jeebus.  Sigh.  They make my head hurt. 

So I saw that one of the episodes for Duck Dynasty this season showed the wives and the older kids were doing missionary work so I found it on demand and watched it to compare.  Holy crap, they make the Dillards look worse.  They went to see what their foundation was doing in Uganda.  They stayed with the locals whom their foundation had built homes, provided livestock, and been taught how to farm.  What stuck out to me was that these people used their brains and said you know we don't know HOW to help these people but we have money to get them what they need.  If only the Dillards were smart enough to figure out that 24k could set up many local families in Central America with sustainable homes.

Hmm, I wonder if Josiah's "minor birth defect" was something like undescended testicles or hypospadias, both of which would be repaired at about 6 months of age.

Perhaps Jill/Derick have already had Zika? Can you get it multiple times or are you immune to it after getting it once? There was speculation that she didn't seem  thrilled/happy about this pg, so she may be worried the baby's already at risk.  I have read that even adults can be affected by Zika harming their brains, and some get Multiple Sclerosis type symptoms.

Even without Zika, I don't think Jill's mental health is going to be able to withstand much more of this missionary nonsense.

If it were me, I'd just stay put in Arkansas, and have D get a job like normal people! (Or if they "have a burden" for the "precious" Spanish speaking people, perhaps move down to Laredo by Jing, it's 96% Hispanic down there, they can do missionary work there.

3 minutes ago, snickerz said:

Hmm, I wonder if Josiah's "minor birth defect" was something like undescended testicles or hypospadias, both of which would be repaired at about 6 months of age.

Perhaps Jill/Derick have already had Zika? Can you get it multiple times or are you immune to it after getting it once? There was speculation that she didn't seem  thrilled/happy about this pg, so she may be worried the baby's already at risk.  I have read that even adults can be affected by Zika harming their brains, and some get Multiple Sclerosis type symptoms.

Fun fact- the blood banks now test for Zika virus. I've noticed when hanging blood that the bags say "negative for Zika virus."

Josiah's birth defect could have been a hernia too. 

I was thinking hypospadias or an undescended teste too, because it's one they likely wouldn't want to talk about so much. A hernia, some congenital heart defects or removal of an extra finger/toe could all be done at around the same age but are less embarrassing to speak about (bar the polydactyly I guess, but then it'd be unlikely that only 1 child of 19 would have that since it's usually genetic to a degree).  JimBoob and Michelle used their children for every bit of publicity they could, so it'd have to be something they wanted to shush up a little.

It's interesting that the Duggars never actually volunteer or try to convert people here in the US but I guess it makes sense. I don't count the tv show as it's not direct contact. It's hard for non-charismatic people to convert other English speakers that already have knowledge of Jesus, and can easily win a debate on the topic, to their particularly brand of Christianity. Further, volunteering opportunities sometimes require you to follow certain rules or take a training course first. I can't see any of them volunteering where people will be fed regardless of religion or where you are not allowed to preach at people in return for them receiving help. Every thanksgiving my church puts on a Thanksgiving dinner for about 900 people. Everyone receives food, clothing and toiletries. They don't have to listen to preaching, don't have to agree to anything and aren't required to be Catholic. Probably fail in the eyes of the Duggars, especially the catholic part. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived