IGNORED

Dillards 26 - Grifting All The Way!

choralcrusader8613

On 2017-02-17 at 10:27 PM, feministxtian said:

There comes a time when one needs to GROW UP and realize that gallivanting all over hell and back is NOT a good idea. These two have all the maturity of my cats (and if you've been following the adventures of lil sis and big stupid...). I mean, daddy gave them a house, he only needs to work for grocery money, utilities and fun. Geez...asking for 24 grand takes a whole lot of nerve..I mean we LIVE on 24 grand a year roughly...and I'm not asking for $$. 

I want to second this. When I think of all the years my grandparents, my parents, and then my spouse and I struggled to get by with very little money, it just annoys the heck out of me that the Dullards are shamelessly asking for money.

My grandparents survived the Depression, raising their children with very little money, no new clothes or shoes for the kids, using very last bit of food they could obtain. My parents survived WW II, then raised three kids during the 50s. There were NO second helpings, clothes were worn as long as they could last, we lived in a tiny house and shared bedrooms and the one bathroom.

I can't imagine anyone in my family begging for money. My grandparents and parents had dignity. They based their lives on the idea that if you can manage to scrape by, then you do so, with as much independence as you can manage. Sure, people who are desperately poor deserve to be helped. But, speaking as a person who comes from a working class background, we would have been ashamed to beg for money the way the Dullards are.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This shameless grifting is just too much. 

"We hope you'll consider partnering with us in this mission ... In addition to the ministry outreach expenses, there are always monthly expenses for groceries, utilities, fuel, healthcare, etc." 

Partnering with us?! Come on Jill and Derick, come on! So they need $24 000 to go hang out in El Salvador (cause we all know they do basically nothing there as well), and come back to America again in a few months to birth baby boy #2. 

I was raised Catholic and received no call to have a personal relationship with Jesus. I was pretty much afraid of mortal sin and hell where I was educated. Can't really say what the central premise was. But not a personal relationship with Jesus. Never heard that. 

8 hours ago, Exposedknees said:

Derrick would never read a book by a >GASP< evil liberal WOMAN...but I have also thought a lot about this novel when I read about their "ministry" and their contempt for the brown people aka "flock." 

"Tata Jesus is bangala!!!":pb_lol:

it also reminds me of this quote from Rick Steves that does NOT apply to the Dillards-

“Travel is rich with learning opportunities, and the ultimate souvenir is a broader perspective.” 

Or in the words of Mark Twain, "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." 

Unless you're a Duggar, especially a "missionary."

eta: The intermediary stuff is easy: fundies have to confess sin to their preacher, and often the ENTIRE CHURCH. Catholics got them beaten there; they can confess without someone staring you in the face and judging you. I'd rather say 50 Holy Marys than have to confess in front of a congregation, Duggar style. THAT is what Jilly Muffin knows, Derick, probably not so much, but I bet he's been to the pastor for "counseling" (ie. sin confession) at some point in his life. At Cross Church, it's not the Head Pastor, since Ronnie Floyd hs better things to do, but a church that size has to have several assistant pastors available for  counseling confession. 

27 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Or in the words of Mark Twain, "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." 

Unless you're a Duggar, especially a "missionary."

eta: The intermediary stuff is easy: fundies have to confess sin to their preacher, and often the ENTIRE CHURCH. Catholics got them beaten there; they can confess without someone staring you in the face and judging you. I'd rather say 50 Holy Marys than have to confess in front of a congregation, Duggar style. THAT is what Jilly Muffin knows, Derick, probably not so much, but I bet he's been to the pastor for "counseling" (ie. sin confession) at some point in his life. At Cross Church, it's not the Head Pastor, since Ronnie Floyd hs better things to do, but a church that size has to have several assistant pastors available for  counseling confession. 

I hardly consider hiding in your house afraid of shower racks and "helping" people once a week travel. They aren't really living or working among the locals. Can they even speak the language yet? Jills Spanish seems passable but I was surprised how much Derick seemed to still be struggling considering this is what he wants to do in life. They really should be fluent before going back considering their whole "job" is to communicate with people and convince them how wrong they are doing Jesus.

@Snarkle Motion Why quote me? My post had nothing to do with Jill's paranoia or Dreck's failure to actually help people. 

All true, btw, but my post was about the Catholics vs. Protestants. 

1 hour ago, SummerRocks said:

This shameless grifting is just too much. 

"We hope you'll consider partnering with us in this mission ... In addition to the ministry outreach expenses, there are always monthly expenses for groceries, utilities, fuel, healthcare, etc." 

Partnering with us?! Come on Jill and Derick, come on! So they need $24 000 to go hang out in El Salvador (cause we all know they do basically nothing there as well), and come back to America again in a few months to birth baby boy #2.

I wonder whether any of the people who "partner" with them aren't family members, friends of Jim Bob, or the most vigorous of leghumpers.  Who else would hand over money for this?

48 minutes ago, marmalade said:

@Snarkle Motion Why quote me? My post had nothing to do with Jill's paranoia or Dreck's failure to actually help people. 

All true, btw, but my post was about the Catholics vs. Protestants. 

Sorry my quoting you was in reference to the mark twain quote. I should have snipped it down. 

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I wonder whether any of the people who "partner" with them aren't family members, friends of Jim Bob, or the most vigorous of leghumpers.  Who else would hand over money for this?

I fear that a lot of people would, especially elderly people who still think they are good christians and can do no harm.

18 hours ago, kmary1 said:

How does the conversation to convert a Catholic go, exactly? Yes it's great you believe in Jesus, but you're doing it wrong?

Pretty much. Some missionaries like Shrader try to convert Baptists to being the Right Kind of Baptist. It is pretty ridiculous. Who is that fundie that became a missionary to New Mexico to convert Catholics? 

I find them needing to convert people to their brand of Christianity utterly ridiculous. If the basic premise is to believe in Jesus and follow the teachings of the bible most  Christians & their off shoots are already living or trying to live this way.

This might sound stupid, but I really don't know the interworkings of how other religions do their missionary work. Do other religions sort out specific other religions to try and convert? ie the Duggars brand of Christianity purposely going after Catholics.  It would seem so much easier to try and convert non believers by 'showing them the way' lol rather than basically telling people they are doing it wrong.   I hope this makes sense. The way the dullards are doing reminds me of JW's knocking at your door and getting in your face about doing it wrong without the cheap candy.

So I think we can safely assume that Jill's carotid issue plotline was nothing to worry about....or, alternatively she:

1. Truly has some kind of carotid issue and went to CA anyway.

2. She returned to CA pregnant, in spite of Zika

3. She returned to CA pregnant, knowing that babies come on their own time and she could very well deliver after having a difficult and dangerous delivery with Izzy.

4. She returned to CA possibly having mental health/PTSD/PPD issues.

5. She returned to CA with her toddler, where the area is dangerous. Full of gang members and man eating animals.

All in the name of Jesus....Amen!

These people are morons.

13 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I was raised Catholic and received no call to have a personal relationship with Jesus. I was pretty much afraid of mortal sin and hell where I was educated. Can't really say what the central premise was. But not a personal relationship with Jesus. Never heard that. 

And as I ask anyone who tries to convert me from my semi-Catholicism; who says I want a personal relationship with Jesus? I've survived for 28 years as I am.  

I'm quite sure that Fundie "missionaries" don't care how the other person feels. They just want to save a soul for themselves. Derick take your bullshit and stick it. 

Since Catholics believe that the Eucharist is Jesus' literal body and blood, I'd say that's a pretty personal relationship with Jesus in their eyes anyway. :D

I'm a Roman Catholic, born and raised, and I feel that I do have a personal relationship with Jesus, God, the Blessed Mother, and any of a number of saints, most of whom I invoke daily or multiple times daily. Doing it wrong? I think not. Doing it differently than the Duggars? Definitely. MYOB, Duggars.

4 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I'm a Roman Catholic, born and raised, and I feel that I do have a personal relationship with Jesus, God, the Blessed Mother, and any of a number of saints, most of whom I invoke daily or multiple times daily. Doing it wrong? I think not. Doing it differently than the Duggars? Definitely. MYOB, Duggars.

That is great. It was just not ever emphasized where I was educated, or I didn't get it. Religion should be personal and help you daily. Daily as in every day. And if someone has a different religion, gasp.....they are fine. 

I also think the $24,000 is just mind boggling. It all seems ridiculous. Truly ridiculous. 

This will sound stupid and I am obviously not informed regarding all types of missionary work. I thought missionaries "worked" for their church and were supported by the church in their budget. I know occasionally the church would ask for additional "offerings" of support.  

I always thought it was a structured process, an assignment I guess. I didn't realize random people with half-a$$ed plots were "missionaries" until I read FJ. 

I thought of jilly muffin the other day. I'm pregnant (also due in July) and had to go to the doctor on Monday (bladder infections are fun!) the doctor didn't have any openings so I opted to see the staff midwife. That lady was amazing, just as informative as any doctor I've been to. I thought of Jill putting herself on the same level as this highly educated, highly trained professional and I had to roll my eyes...

I thought of jilly muffin the other day. I'm pregnant (also due in July) and had to go to the doctor on Monday (bladder infections are fun!) the doctor didn't have any openings so I opted to see the staff midwife. That lady was amazing, just as informative as any doctor I've been to. I thought of Jill putting herself on the same level as this highly educated, highly trained professional and I had to roll my eyes...

I had several bladder infections early in my pregnancy. They stopped mid-second trimester.

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

I was raised fully, 100% Roman Catholic, Catholic schools, even Catholic sleep away camp. Both parents immigrants, both Catholic.

Like you I did feel very close to Jesus, and many, many saints, asking Mary for intercession, frequently.

I've lapsed in practicing the faith, and am pretty much agnostic, but I miss the Church, especially (to my complete surprise!) the Mass.

If a Dillard/any missionary ever tried tell me "You were just doing it wrong", I'd give them an earful. How dare they assume to know better, or more? What colossal nerve.

This conversation about personal relationships with Jesus reminds me of an anecdote that I think was from David Hume. A Catholic missionary is questioning a young pagan boy he is trying to convert and asks, "how many gods are there?"

The boy responds with "none."

This confuses the missionary who  has been teaching him about Catholicism for several weeks so he asks why the boy believes this.

The boy responds with: "You told me there was only one God. And then I ate him."

I can't stand missionaries on general principle. I'll give a reluctant pass to the missionaries who are qualified in something useful, and who are doing real work to actually help people regardless of their faith, but the gall of the completely useless Dillards preaching their version of Christianity to Catholics is just stunning. I also can't fathom why they think it's a good idea for JillyMuffin to head into a Zika zone while pregnant. Also, if FSM forbid she goes into labour or has some sort of complications, I would imagine that the language barriers/cultural differences would make her even more reluctant to seek medical help if required. The stupid is just off the scale with these two.

That said, I was approached by a very young looking LDS Missionary once whist out having lunch at a food cart. He was polite, but his opening gambit was something along the lines of "Would you be interested in hearing more about a faith that would enable you to spend all eternity with your earthly family?"  I literally laughed in his face, and told him I'd already had quite enough time with them - and an eternity sounded like hell... I'll never forget how his face fell, and I thought he was going to cry. It was almost enough to make me feel bad.

2 hours ago, Lizzybet said:

I've lapsed in practicing the faith, and am pretty much agnostic, but I miss the Church, especially (to my complete surprise!) the Mass.

For a specific reason, I no longer attend Mass in the Archdiocese of where I live. I miss it very much. Sometimes, I watch the mass on EWTN. I miss the liturgy of the word, I miss the hymns.. The Archdiocese of where I live has a lot to answer for, and I'm sure God will take care of it, but DAMN some of his minions fuck things up for the rest of us.

Also, we have to remember that Christianity was not the first religion of Latin Americans. These folks had/have indigenous beliefs that predate the arrival of Christians form Europe. Latin Americans deserve a break- they do not need idiots from NWA (or anywhere) preaching to and trying to convert them. 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived