IGNORED

The Botkinettes have surfaced and they're giving relationship advice again!

Marian the Librarian

Just in time for Valentine's Day, the Botkinettes have emerged from hiding. Updating their blog for the first time since August 2015, they're announcing that 20! pages! of new content! have been added to their relationship-advice book, "It's Not That Complicated:"

Friends, we’re happy to announce a new edition of It’s (Not That) Complicated, featuring over 20 pages of new content. For those of you who already bought the first edition of the book and don’t want to buy a new copy, we’ll be sharing most of the new content with you for free here over the next few weeks.

We’re also, at long last, releasing it in audiobook format, read by both of yours truly. You can buy it here and hear a sample here. If you’d prefer to get it in eBook format, we also provide it in a MOBI file for Kindles, an EPUB file for all other ebook readers, and a PDF file for your computer.

And while we’re announcing shiny new things, check out the new Botkin Sisters store. From now until February 14th, we’re running a 20%-off-everything Valentine’s Day sale, so shop soon!

Brace yourselves, there's a video teaser, reminding us (as if we could possibly have forgotten) that guy-girl relationships can still be rilly, rilly, (rilly rilly rilly) complicated, because Sin Nature! Crushes! And girls can forget that guys are people, too!!

https://botkinsisters.com

(Oddly, there's no mention of their "Return of the Daughters" DVD on the merchandise link...)

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've lost the first bloom of youth.. how old are they? And they're still single, right? I'm gonna take relationship advice from them?

That they're still trying with this when everyone they know has already gotten married, had kids, filed lawsuits against DPIAT, had placental abruptions, gotten divorced, etc, etc, is kind of sad...

they're like the bill gothard of relationship advice. hmm, who should i look to for guidance on my family life? How about this guy who's never had a family!! Who should i look to for guidance on my relationships? how about these girls who have never had one!! 

Come. On. Can't they think of something else to write books about?? 

1 hour ago, Four is Enough said:

They've lost the first bloom of youth.. how old are they? And they're still single, right? I'm gonna take relationship advice from them?

I think Anna Sofia was born in 1985 and Elizabeth was born in 1987. So, 31/32 and 29/30, respectively. 

One of the churches I attended as a teenager handed out pamphlets and magazines that spoke very highly of the then-also-teenaged Botkinettes. I remember reading one of the magazines out of boredom, coming across an article that they'd written, and thinking, "Are these girls for real? That's insane." I wasn't really into the church thing at the time and only went because I was forced to. I often found myself on the receiving end of many a tedious lecture about the height of my heels, the length of my skirts, and how I needed to stop leading the boys into perdition. My response, that they should follow the words of Paul and blind themselves, didn't go over well. I also got criticized (by adults and peers alike) for wanting to go to college so that I could have a professional career (as opposed to meeting a husband). 

I was born in 1984, so I'm slightly older than the Botkinettes. I kinda feel sorry for them, in that they've put so much of their lives into Vision Forum/Return of the Daughters/worshiping at the altar of every Calvin-flavored fundie patriarch and have so little to show for it: a neglected blog, membership in a mostly-imploded cult, and no marriage for either one of them in sight. Kinda. I mean, perhaps if they weren't Dominionists and hell-bent on coercing everyone else into following said lifestyle, I'd have more empathy and less schadenfreude. As it stands: sucks to be them, and they should give it up already instead of continuing to waste their lives on this crap.  I may not be married, but 1) that was never a primary life goal for me and 2) I have an education, a career, and a life of my own. Also, a cat. 

This reminds me of my first crack in my belief of the Catholic church being the 'one true church' some celibate man was going to tell me how to have a relationship with a person that involved living with them. It didn't make sense to my teenage brain and it still makes no sense to me almost 15 years later. If you have no experience in a particular situation, don't write books or mentor people. You look like a bloody idiot even to the people who might be in your circle. 

Those who can, do. And those who can't, preach.

5 minutes ago, Justmurrayed said:

This reminds me of my first crack in my belief of the Catholic church being the 'one true church' some celibate man was going to tell me how to have a relationship with a person that involved living with them. It didn't make sense to my teenage brain and it still makes no sense to me almost 15 years later. If you have no experience in a particular situation, don't write books or mentor people. You look like a bloody idiot even to the people who might be in your circle. 

Or, as a friend of mine said, when her parish priest started in on the evils of birth control during their pre-marital counseling sessions, "Father, if you don't play the game you don't get to make the rules."

2 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Those who can, do. And those who can't, preach.

Or, as a friend of mine said, when her parish priest started in on the evils of birth control during their pre-marital counseling sessions, "Father, if you don't play the game you don't get to make the rules."

Oh man, I so wish I could've said something like this. 

I've seen worse videos coming from proper marketing departments.

They should get themselves a proper career instead of peddling this nonsense.

"We forget that guys are also people, too." Yeah, this is not a problem for me. It's never once occurred to me that guys are anything less than 100% people. If anything, this issue is reversed in society, with men not thinking I'm a person. But YMMV, Botkins. 

At 1:30, does that dude that drew have fangs? Is that a shout-out to Twilight, which was what, 2005 or something? Time has passed since then, maybe they update their schpiel if they want to appeal to the teeny-boppers.

Maybe this behavior is similar to what goes on in certain UFO/Apocalypse movements, where the leader predicts a visit from aliens, or the end of the world, and the followers only dig in deeper out of a desperate need to believe after the prophesy doesn't occur???

On the other hand, so many of those other mentors who give out relationship advice failed spectacularly in their own marriage. These ladies never tried so they can't be proven wrong by their own failure.

At this point, I do feel a little sorry for those sisters. I mean, they are pushing a very harmful ideology, which has pretty much fucked their lives up completely, but they're old enough to have broken away from it by now. Still, for women who have been taught their entire lives that their only value is in marriage, they are unmarried past their prime childbearing years. And all they can do is keep writing books about their relationships with men that they don't have.

In terms of the Catholic church, and celibate men giving relationship advice, my dad was a priest for 17 years and had a (from all accounts) scandalous affair with my mother. Who was a nun. It was not unusual - the number of former priest and former nun couples that we knew was so high that when I was little, I thought you joined a religious order, then got married and had kids.. A lot of priests engaged in relationships prior to Vatican II, because they were convinced that the requirement for celibacy would be lifted. It wasn't, and a lot of priests left and masks to marry their nun girlfriends.
So, you know, the guy may not have actually been celibate.[emoji23]

13 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

On the other hand, so many of those other mentors who give out relationship advice failed spectacularly in their own marriage. These ladies never tried so they can't be proven wrong by their own failure.

They might also think that their relationships going wrong qualifies them to give advice? I base this spectacular suspicion on my teenage behaviour. After my first relationship failed, I knew EVERYTHING. I could have written a book! In fact, I did. It was called "my diary" - oh, the deep insights, and philosophical waxing! Totally worth burning, if it weren't so funny.

18 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

They might also think that their relationships going wrong qualifies them to give advice? I base this spectacular suspicion on my teenage behaviour. After my first relationship failed, I knew EVERYTHING. I could have written a book! In fact, I did. It was called "my diary" - oh, the deep insights, and philosophical waxing! Totally worth burning, if it weren't so funny.

Your teenage self sounds like Raquel!

I've seen videos with worse production value. Sheesh maybe they could have a career producing commercials instead of waiting for Mr. Right to come around.

I wonder what the 20 pages of new content will go over - extended spinsterhood?

7 minutes ago, ladyamylynn said:

Your teenage self sounds like Raquel!

I could have given her a run for her money. :)

I think Return of the Daughters has been pulled from YouTube; it didn't come up when I searched. However, I did find this:

1 hour ago, samurai_sarah said:

Yeah...

I guess sometimes there might be a nugget of wisdom in a book that starts from, "Here's what I did wrong in my first relationship." Learn from failure first, then write the book.

I was thinking more of those people who first write the book about their perfect marriage and then it turns out it's not.

7 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

(snip)

I was thinking more of those people who first write the book about their perfect marriage and then it turns out it's not.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

It's Not That Complicated! 

Now with twenty more tedious long winded pages about nothing written by people completely inexperienced on the topic!

Or......It's Not That Complicated

The Complicated version! 

47 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I think Return of the Daughters has been pulled from YouTube; it didn't come up when I searched. However, I did find this:

OMG Yes.  This.  

Bet a cookie that their  brother, Ben (A Legend In His Own Mind), "composed" the soundtrack, complete with sound effects.

Hard to say who's more pathetically obnoxious, the Botkinettes or the Ah the Lifers. 

That anyone would pay either of them a red cent for their shite is beyond me.

I think it's fun to change the message of the title by swapping the parentheses around:

It's Not That (Complicated)

It's Not (That) Complicated

It's (NOT) That Complicated

Adding all-caps shouting effect provides bonus creativity.

Archived