IGNORED

Bates the 20th

choralcrusader8613

That picture just has a very "bedroom" feel for me. I mean, it is literally taken in a bedroom, so that doesn't help. But also the fact that they're dressed in all white makes it almost seem like Alyssa is wearing a nightgown. I think that's why the blouse looks so weird. I don't think I would blink twice if I saw someone wearing it on the street. Definitely not modest in my book.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posing in the bed is just odd. I'm trying to imagine my mother's face if I presented her with a picture of me and my husband curled up in our bed for her to hang on the wall with all the family pictures. :laughing-jumpingpurple: She would not approve. 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:06 AM, formergothardite said:

I'm sticking this here as well as in politics because of the relation to the Bates. I know there is this idea that the Bates are somehow less "bad" because some of them wear pants and watch secular movies, but I would like to introduce you to Sonny Pardue. He doesn't have the traditional "fundie" look, but just because there are no frumpers and he watches television doesn't mean he isn't fundie as hell. This is why it is so important not to think a person is less fundie because of how they dress or things like that. 

Back to Pardue, he is a die-hard Gothard supporter and guess what?! He is probably going to be in the White House. He places IBLP next to the Bible in terms of what influences his life choices. He has spoken at IBLP conferences and  IBLP uses him as an example of being godly in some of their literature. He has used his position in the government to try and spread Gothard teachings. 

I'm unclear who you are talking about. Are you referring to the Secretary of Agriculture nominee, former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue? [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Perdue]  He's also first cousin to current Senator David Perdue.

I really like the blouse; I would wear it myself. It looks great on Alyssa.

BUT those broderie anglaise insets are not particularly modest: you really need to be wearing a camisole underneath or the eyelet holes expose your bra. Even with a cami, or with a liner sewn underneath, it suggests a peek-a-boo type of exposure. Personally, I think it's sexy in a very modern and discreet type of way. But it's a long long way away from frumpers. Go Alyssa!

For me, every step Alyssa takes away from Gothard (jeans, lace insets, a SB church instead of an IFB church) is a positive. She's not rejecting her parents' horrific beliefs, and she's still the daughter-in-law of a Tea Party conservative crazy, but it's a step in the right direction for her and her daughters.

Someone on here once said "Cute kids. Shame about the cult." And now I always think of that phrase when I see pictures of the Bates/Duggar grandkids.

If you remember who said it or it was you feel free to take credit.

18 hours ago, divadivine said:

Is it just me or does this picture just come across as creepy? Or odd? Like that's just a natural photo pose... Because it's not. Also, hello 1980's-esque attire. Not a fan. 

image.jpeg

This is just such an eewww picture in so many ways. He looks like he's eating her face.  Gross. She's staring at us with a self-satisfied, sexy, knowing look.  They're in bed.  Why the hell are they in bed? We get it, they can have godly sweet, sweet fellowship in their pure white clothes.  No need to look like creepy-smarmy vampires.  Blech. 

18 hours ago, divadivine said:

Is it just me or does this picture just come across as creepy? Or odd? Like that's just a natural photo pose... Because it's not. Also, hello 1980's-esque attire. Not a fan. 

image.jpeg

It honestly looks like an ad. "You too can escape gothard's cult........." who here used to call John "lurch", lmao. It's like she has him trained somehow.

Looks like in the next episode Kelly takes her kids to show them her hometown and where she went to high school. How nice that'll be for her kids. Its always so nice when the Bates or Duggar parents share or show things they were allowed to do as kids to the very kids they ban from doing. 

I wouldn't mind the picture if it was not in the bedroom.  If they were outside on a nice day sitting on a blanket or bench I'd like it better. She's still giving some bedroom eyes but she looks gorgeous in this picture.  

On 2/21/2017 at 2:40 AM, DaniLouisiana said:

Why is there hay all over the porch?

@DaniLouisiana, I was just going to ask the same thing!  I find the hay on the porch just plain weird.

Kelly posted on IG about her high school reunion and how happy she was to see old friends and "Meeting up with some of my old teachers was probably one of my favorite memories! I'm so grateful for all these people who loved me and helped shape my life!"  Then there's the obligatory shot of her and the entire family with the teachers.  This makes me so angry.  She got to be blessed with these friends and experiences but her kids got denied, because Jesus.  Not to mention the educational opportunities she had.  We haven't seen one kid yet that got to have a real college experience like she and Gil had.  They wouldn't have met if they hadn't have gone off to college.  The hypocrisy kills me.  I can't imagine what the kids must feel.  Same as with Michelle Duggar.  All 38 of these kids get to hear their moms gush about high school and college, but some how that was the wrong way for them to be educated and that's why their kids were denied the same opportunities?

Do they not remotely understand the irony of it? Drives me insane too! Look at all my wonderful teachers that did so much for me! But you can't have this experience even though it was so enriching for me. Sorry not sorry!

6 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Do they not remotely understand the irony of it? Drives me insane too! Look at all my wonderful teachers that did so much for me! But you can't have this experience even though it was so enriching for me. Sorry not sorry!

The Bates' and Duggars' irony-meters are non-existent.

Watching Kelly bates going home episode and I was shocked to know she had an older brother who passed away. I wonder what the circumstances were he looked young.

Edit: Never mind found on tumblr he passed in 2012 and had children.

http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/post/61394747098/kellys-family

http://www.tributes.com/obituary/print_selections/93892574?type=1

Between that picture and the one they posted right after Alyssa had Lexi, I'd say that Alyssa definitely has found her fashion icon in Duchess Kate. I really like the blouse- it's something I'd wear. I do agree the pic is odd, though. 

Kelly was a prankster? Really? The kind of sibling that made me want to make my own sandwiches in case I get pranked by them putting on a condiment I don't like? Or shower/bathe when everyone else is sleeping?

But I guess that's why she used to acknowledge that the kids "could sneak and we wouldn't know", referring to them doing more with a courtship partner than they think is wise.

Ok not sure how everyone else feels; like that gives them a sense of humor, or if it makes them worse, or adds to the hypocrisy. People like the Maxwells, or at the IBLP headquarters, that was the one comforting thought; a guy was severely punished for pulling a relatively mild prank, and no-fun Steve couldn't handle it either.

Yeah, I remember brother Chip's death; I worried about his widow. Kelly's mom's been shown, I can't remember if her dad's still alive. I'm guessing that if he is, he, like other family members of the Duggars and Bates, doesn't want to be on camera. I can guess that about Kelly's step-dad too; her mom mentioned him when they were moving closer to them, like "we can't do this place because he can't do stairs" or something.

29 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

Kelly was a prankster? Really? The kind of sibling that made me want to make my own sandwiches in case I get pranked by them putting on a condiment I don't like? Or shower/bathe when everyone else is sleeping?

But I guess that's why she used to acknowledge that the kids "could sneak and we wouldn't know", referring to them doing more with a courtship partner than they think is wise.

Ok not sure how everyone else feels; like that gives them a sense of humor, or if it makes them worse, or adds to the hypocrisy. People like the Maxwells, or at the IBLP headquarters, that was the one comforting thought; a guy was severely punished for pulling a relatively mild prank, and no-fun Steve couldn't handle it either.

Yeah, I remember brother Chip's death; I worried about his widow. Kelly's mom's been shown, I can't remember if her dad's still alive. I'm guessing that if he is, he, like other family members of the Duggars and Bates, doesn't want to be on camera. I can guess that about Kelly's step-dad too; her mom mentioned him when they were moving closer to them, like "we can't do this place because he can't do stairs" or something.

Kelly's father is dead. AFAIK he was a pastor. 

On 2/20/2017 at 5:45 PM, Carm_88 said:

Allie has such big eyes. She's like an anime character. 

To me she looks soooooo much like Kelly Jo!

6 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

That picture of John and Alyssa was very nearly responsible for me throwing up my dinner. 

I guess I am alone in liking the picture. They look good together, although I am waiting for her to stop looking like a child bride. Every time I see her I think of that movie Baby Doll, the old one with Karl Malden.  But I will commiserate in one thing, that picture should have remained private, the public didn't need to see it. 

@mstee I haven't finished the episode so I don't know if they mentioned how old she was but Kelly did say she is the youngest.  Perhaps that had something to do with it?

Also, I started the episode off my DVR this morning but had to turn it off.  It still makes me so angry that they whole damn episode is about her seeing her old high school friends and teachers and showing her kids how she grew up and they were denied all of it.  I did notice that she told them she used to tattle on her oldest brother for kissing girls while parked in front of the house.  Yet another experience those kids couldn't have.  And bless that couple that let all 20+ of them trounce through their house and then on their lawn.  No way, nuh uh, not me.

1 minute ago, JMO said:

@mstee I haven't finished the episode so I don't know if they mentioned how old she was but Kelly did say she is the youngest.  Perhaps that had something to do with it?

Also, I started the episode off my DVR this morning but had to turn it off.  It still makes me so angry that they whole damn episode is about her seeing her old high school friends and teachers and showing her kids how she grew up and they were denied all of it.  I did notice that she told them she used to tattle on her oldest brother for kissing girls while parked in front of the house.  Yet another experience those kids couldn't have.  And bless that couple that let all 20+ of them trounce through their house and then on their lawn.  No way, nuh uh, not me.

Are you kidding me? That's the definition of nightmare for me. 20+ people and the camera crew. I would have died on the spot. I wonder if UP paid them enough to hire a maid. 

I have no doubt they were paid to let everyone in their house, probably a couple thousand dollars. Lighting and cameras have to be set up ahead of time so that takes work. My friend lives in regular middle class neighborhood and her house is used for filming, inside and out, once in awhile and she makes good money for only a day or two of use. Though hers has been used for lower budget movies. 

I hope with the youngest bunch, maybe up to Addee, they loved being in a classroom so much and now will constantly ask "mommy can i go to a classroom too!?" and I'll pray Kelly has guilt and sends them.

I'll wake up from my dream now :( 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived