IGNORED

Lori Alexander 15: Leaving A Fire With Her Makeup Bag

choralcrusader8613

Okay, so I got curious about how much I was spending on beauty products:

Hair color?  $0 (Letting it go grey.  It's a little jarring to me, but my husband claims to love it)

Face cream?  $8.94

"V" Salve ? $0

Foundation? $0

Cover Girl Blush? $3.44

Primer? $0

Hydration Spray? $0

Shampoo? $2.97

Coconut oil? $0

Hair gel? $0

Hair spray? $3.43

Total: $18.87

Lori didn't mention lipstick, mascara, or face cleanser, so I will add those in as well.  All 3 cost a total of: $16.85

Grand total: $35.72 (I'd coupon the hell out of that shit and get it down to $25-$30)

I could throw in some pink Dove soap and still keep it under $35.

If any of Lori's readers actually adopt her crazy advice, she should send them to me for tips on saving money, because they sure as hell won't get them from her.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

I always joke with my hairstylist that "considering I have such a simple cut, my hair budget is HUGE!"  She laughs and agees. She was shocked when I told her I (used to) use SUAVE shampoo because I do spend a lot on hairspray and styling products (I was trying to save money SOMEWHERE) My hair is so doggone fine, once I found products that gave it some fullness, I got hooked and just can't go back. For a while I did use a thickening shampoo that I bought at our health food store; BUT my daughter recently found a shampoo at Walmart and Target that works the same so I have gone from $12 a bottle to $4 a bottle. Yay us! 

I do typically use drugstore makeup and, as I have mentioned before, many of my clothes come from Walmart. In fact, I wore some of my Walmart pants yesterday and my husband complimented me several times. 

What I didn't like about Lori's video was that everything she showed is a high end product and she is always telling women to be frugal and live simply. Plus, she has no idea that most of her readers CANNOT spend $40 for foundation even if they cut corners elsewhere. Many people have lived paycheck to paycheck at last sometime in their life, even if they are not doing so now. Lori has NEVER had to worry about a budget and so cannot comprehend that her buying habits are out of reach for many people. 

What I REALLY did not like about her video was her sharing that expensive "V Cream" and then acting all embarrassed and too modest to actually talk about it. Seriously, how is that being discreet? She knows her fan boys, Earle and Trey (and others) will be watching that video. She is just dying for a discussion to begin on that topic. 

Also, I am willing to bet that Ken is the one who wants Lori to keep coloring her hair. How nice of her to ramble on about how brown-eyed women just don't look pretty with grey hair. I'm pretty sure that's what she wanted to say but somehow caught herself and tried to backpedal. 

Finally, I watched a bit of Zsu's Q&A and was struck by how articulate and confident she appears when she speaks. English is her second language and she has a much better grasp of public speaking than Lori. Both have deplorable ideas, but listening to Zsu is at least tolerable. If Lori wants to do these videos, she needs to return to her "Always Learning" facade and learn some public speaking skills. 

Brand, please? :drool: I have fine, thin, limp and lifeless hair and desperately need something that works! And that doesn't cost the earth (most of my shampoo comes from Kroger and costs me a dollar or less after sales and coupons! :embarrassed: )!

16 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

For me, $20 moisturizer is safer as I don't like having a bright red face from an allergic reaction.

I've been using variations on Clinique's Dramatically Different lotion for years, which is around $25 or $30 but lasts me something like six months with daily use. I can't afford their eye creams, but L'oreal puts out a couple different ones that work extremely well. On sale and with coupons I can often get them for about $10.  Anything else from the drugstore tends to give me me the dreaded red face, too.

50 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Curiousity got the better of me and I looked up Vital V salve as I've never heard of it.

Well -- was I surprised  and amused.  I'm pretty sure Lori isn't using it as intended.  Hint -- it's not for your face.

I don't know...somehow I have the feeling Lori uses it exactly as intended.** Makes it easier to stick with her 'ten minute' time limit, dontcha know. :dance:

**Not that there's a single thing wrong with that, of course. It's her coy attitude, and the fact that she had to even mention the product at all--modesty be damned!--that makes it so hilarious to me. :pb_lol:

@Loveday, on the left is what I had been using (I have a little bit left and travel with that bottle). On the right is what my daughter found for us at Target and Walmart. 

The Jason brand is a little cheaper online than in stores and really works well but the Garnier is pretty good and definitely worth saving $8 a bottle. 

IMG_5313.JPG

In the comments of her YouTube video, someone asks Lori about her lipstick. She said she uses Aveda brand. I have never heard of it but did a quick search.  

I buy Maybelline lipstick at Walmart or Walgreens when they have a BOGO sale. 

I have to say I am enjoying these latest thread drifts about cooking and beauty products. 

IMG_5315.PNG

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

@Loveday, on the left is what I had been using (I have a little bit left and travel with that bottle). On the right is what my daughter found for us at Target and Walmart. 

The Jason brand is a little cheaper online than in stores and really works well but the Garnier is pretty good and definitely worth saving $8 a bottle. 

IMG_5313.JPG

Thank you, @usmcmom! I've seen that on the shelves at Kroger, and there are always coupons for it in the Sunday paper, so I'm going to give it a try! :dance:

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

For me, $20 moisturizer is safer as I don't like having a bright red face from an allergic reaction.

I agree. I use Mary Kay. I used to use Clinique and then found MK works and it's only 2 steps (because 3 was too hard ;) ) and less expensive. I wear the make up too. I used to sell but now keep enough for my discount (my mom and sister buy with me). The foundation and cleanser and moisturizer all last at least 4 months. My color products  (eyes & cheeks) last over a year. I don't use mascara or liners. The biggest expense for me is the lip balm. I love it and it helps.

Add that with my, mom, sister and I the 3 of us spend about $500 per year on our MK. For 3 people. For the year. (That includes the discount). I also stock up on hand lotion for teacher gifts and my husband only wears their Domain cologne. 

I recommend L'Oreal True Match.   It come in Warm, Cool and Neutral shades. There are a ton of shades.

The W1 Porcelain (warm) and C1 Alabaster (cool) are very pale.  Oil free, doesn't cake, wears a long time.  I've used both shades (porcelain in summer) and was very pleased.  There is also pressed powder to match.

I'm a drug store/Wal-mart make up user too.  I've had friends in the past who sold Mary Kay and I've supported them.  Makeup lasts years for me, I don't follow the rules and throw it out after a year like I'm supposed to.  I've been working on the same Clinique moisturizer that was given to me almost 7 years ago.  Shampoo is typically what's on sale or TreSeme.  Hair color is Sally's Beauty Supply.  For a year of coloring I might spend $30, that's including the fee for being a member.  The only product I use regularly is a defrizz and that usually lasts me a year or better.   So....hair cuts and nails are my "regular" things.  If I'm having acrylics done it's between $35-$50 every two months or so, I don't go back every two weeks, I push it to at least 3 for fills.  6 week hair cuts are around $25 a pop. 

So....heathen, working woman on a bit of a budget for just products....

Powder, Shampoo, Foundation, Defrizz:  ~$16.00

If I add eyeliner and mascara....that's another $8 or so.  I use liquid liner so it's a little more expensive.   So on the high end of things I'm still right at $100 for personal "maintenance".  

And ya know what?  If I'm strapped that month, Honey and/or I didn't take home a paycheck?  I don't get my nails done!  I go without hair color.  And if I'm tired of paying for haircuts, I grow it out (it's usually in a pixie).  

Lori and her assumptions are what burn me up the most.  She's never worked in Kens office doing books, wringing her hands over whether to pay employees or pay insurance and taxes that particular period.  She has no true concept of "God Providing".  She's never had to wait for the windfall to come right in the nick of time to pay the house note that's behind.  I don't even believe she's really all that grateful for how affluent she is, I think she believes that's how it's supposed to be.  Women like her are what make me white hot angry with anyone above middle class.  I know in my heart I shouldn't begrudge anyone anything in life, but being blue collar for so long and now my husband and I working basically for ourselves...I've got kind of a thieves pride, if you will.  We do what we must to get by, don't worry about how moral it is, just buy the watch or get out of my way.  

Dave comments: 

The most beautiful woman I know is Lori Alexander. No, I’m not saying that based on physical beauty [I can’t go there]. I am saying that based upon her words, for “things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart,” and ‘God looketh on the heart,’ and her heart [her words] has beauty like I have never seen in any other woman. I’m not kidding. I wait for the day that my wife’s heart ‘beauty’ exceeds her wonderful physical beauty. 

Lori replies:

Thank you, Dave! I do know other older, godly women who are beautiful because of their godly, submissive, and gentle spirits besides me, thankfully! 

I pray your wife becomes beautiful to you one day for true beauty radiates from within. Our outer shell that is decaying can only cover up so much disgraceful behavior.

And Dave says: 

I say you Lori are the ‘most’ because you are actively challenging many, putting your life on the line. Sure, there are a few women that model submission to a handful around them — and that is what is needed in the church — but few will be discomforted with persecution doing it.

This is beyond belief.... I wonder how many commenters shaked their head at that one and posted something less than positive that Lori deleted, of course.  

This sounds like an emotional affair. Those two are getting their kicks out of their little dance on Lori's blog.  Disgusting.  

51 minutes ago, Koala said:

Lori dedicated both her blog post AND her notebook doodle to Trey today...hmm.

Well Ken got to make a fool of himself chasing (and scaring) poor Courtney. It is only fair that Lori has her little crushes too. 

"Putting your life on the line?" Excuse me, but... :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

That's going to keep me laughing all night.

4 minutes ago, smittykins said:

"Putting your life on the line"?  I think not...:pb_rollseyes:

Oh, but death from people disagreeing with you on the internet is so common. How have you not heard about that modern plague? 

Oh gosh! I posted before reading the post from @onemama.

i had actually typed a comment on the inappropriate nature of Lori's online relationships with these men and decided to delete it. 

Now?  Wow. Just wow. 

Clearly Lori is getting something from these men (validation) that she does not get from Ken. I cannot believe she thinks it appropriate to have such exchanges with these male readers. 

57 minutes ago, Koala said:

Lori dedicated both her blog post AND her notebook doodle to Trey today...hmm.

Oh, Trey, what do you do for a living? Do you eat by the sweat of our brow? Do you have to fight the thorns and thistles? Actually, I just had a thought... what's with all this talk about women gardening?  Trey! You're the man! You're supposed to be growing all the produce to stay within the curse of the thorns and thistles and all that!  Stop shirking your responsibilities as the sole provider.  

I'm surprised Lori posted that, considering how little actual work she's ever done. 

I made the mistake of visiting Dalrock's blog once and all the men were moaning about how lazy and unproductive women have become since the men created appliances for them.  But still, at home they belong, making work that doesn't need to be, like sewing sheets!!!!!! And making that a part of the homeschool curriculum for the girls. 

Lori used Trey's comment for her post today and this comment just came up on facebook. HAHAHAHH!

I thought this blog was about older women teaching the younger women? So why is a man who has never been a stay at home person/parent giving advice to people who actually do stay at home? You'd be better off polling your stay at home wives & mothers on this subject and then sharing their unique and creative answers. Part of helping younger women is older women encouraging and inspiring them.

$20 hair spray? What the hell is it made out of, unicorn farts and fairy tears? Jill Rodrigues would be on Skid Row after a week at that rate. 

39 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

$20 hair spray? What the hell is it made out of, unicorn farts and fairy tears? Jill Rodrigues would be on Skid Row after a week at that rate. 

Well I can't speak for others but mine is made from the poop of carefully bred silkworms who drink exclusively the tears of royal virgins. It is lightly infused with the milk of Himalayan yaks and then carefully bottled by the milkmaids that tend said yaks. For extra hold, it has just the slightest touch of baby dragon's breath, carefullly collected from the set of Game of Thrones. 

I spend a ridiculous amount on hairspray too but I have included a picture of myself taken before I discovered my preferred brand. 

IMG_5320.JPG

9 hours ago, louisa05 said:

And if she colors at home, she is saving a ton of money. Here in small town Midwest, a single process color in a salon will be around $70. Can't imagine how much higher in CA.

I'll never believe for a second Her Royal Highness Queen Lori dyes her own hair.

2 hours ago, onemama said:

Dave comments: 

The most beautiful woman I know is Lori Alexander. No, I’m not saying that based on physical beauty [I can’t go there]. I am saying that based upon her words, for “things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart,” and ‘God looketh on the heart,’ and her heart [her words] has beauty like I have never seen in any other woman. I’m not kidding. I wait for the day that my wife’s heart ‘beauty’ exceeds her wonderful physical beauty. 

No wonder Dave's wife won't have sex with him. I wouldn't have sex with my husband either if he was telling other women on the internet that they were the most beautiful woman that he knows. Hell, I probably divorce him right then and there if I EVER found out my husband said that to another woman.

The emotional attachment Lori has with several of her male readers actually disturbs me greatly.

Online relationships can be cheating just as much as actually physically cheating.

If I hadn't already given up following her dodgy advice, the inappropriateness of Trey, Earl, Dave etc. would have put me off her. I think they could potentially cause as much harm to vulnerable women as Lori herself does.

Reader:

It's God giving the advice. All you need to do is look in the Bible.

Smarter reader:

Trey is giving the advice. Not God.

Did Ken make Lori delete Dave's comments?  I don't see them. 

10 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Curiousity got the better of me and I looked up Vital V salve as I've never heard of it.

Well -- was I surprised  and amused.  I'm pretty sure Lori isn't using it as intended.  Hint -- it's not for your face.

Oh ... dear ... my oh my oh my, lol.

8 hours ago, usmcmom said:

In the comments of her YouTube video, someone asks Lori about her lipstick. She said she uses Aveda brand. I have never heard of it but did a quick search.  

I buy Maybelline lipstick at Walmart or Walgreens when they have a BOGO sale. 

I have to say I am enjoying these latest thread drifts about cooking and beauty products. 

IMG_5315.PNG

I like CoverGirl OutLast lip stains -- I get a good 8 - 12 hours of wear out of one application, so there's no need to reapply all day long. 

I also find that, as I get older, I use less makeup rather than more. No foundation (tends to settle into fine lines), and minimal eyeshadow. I've never been big on blush. So lip stain and mascara unless it's a night out, in which case I add eyeshadow (currently something I found at Target and don't even know the name), Jordana eyeliner (from Amazon because it's discontinued but I adore it), classic Maybelline mascara and a little bit of brow powder just to darken my blonde brows. Done and done. I spend probably $30 a month on beauty supplies, and that's almost entirely shampoo and conditioner for my long hair (about which I'm fairly vain).

Any guesses on when the last time Trey set foot in a fabric store?

Do you still have extra time? Can you make clothes for yourself, your kids, to sell to others? Forget the flax and cotton as that would not be an inefficient use of your time but purchase fabric from the store and make some clothes or bed sheets.

Gee, Trey, thanks for throwing us that scrap and telling us we actually don't have to weave our own fabric.:my_dodgy:  

Does Trey think that fabric is cheap? I live in a pretty low cost of living area, and it's still more economical for me to buy clothing rather than make it myself. The last big sewing project I did was blackout curtains because I found the perfect fabric. :) 

3 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

Any guesses on when the last time Trey set foot in a fabric store?

Gee, Trey, thanks for throwing us that scrap and telling us we actually don't have to weave our own fabric.:my_dodgy:  

Does Trey think that fabric is cheap? I live in a pretty low cost of living area, and it's still more economical for me to buy clothing rather than make it myself. The last big sewing project I did was blackout curtains because I found the perfect fabric. :) 

I quilt. Good quilting fabric is $10-12/yard. The cheap fabric, is well, you get what you pay for!

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived