IGNORED

Domestic Violence all but decriminalized in Russia

samurai_sarah

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/25/russian-mps-bill-reducing-punishment-domestic-violence-rights

Russia has decriminalized some forms of domestic violence.

The amendments reduce the penalty for violence against family members, including spouses and children, as long as it is a first offence and does not cause serious injury, making it punishable by a fine of up to 30,000 rubles (£400).

From this article:

Crucially, only a second offence will now be considered a crime. The official reason for this is to create parity with the way that violence between strangers outside the home is dealt with.

(bolding mine)

This puts the most vulnerable members of society at risk. If you, say as a child, a spouse or an elderly relative, get battered once and no one helps you- how likely are you to call for help a second time? Can you? What are the chances that an abuser will take away your means to call for help, after you've done it once?

Personally, I don't get why some people don't take domestic violence seriously. If I attacked a stranger, I'd be looking at criminal charges. Why would it be any different if I attacked family members?

A friend claimed that there's a saying in Russia that "if he beats you, he loves you" - I disagree with that sentiment. Strongly!

And of course this happens.

For those who don't want to click on the link: A Russian woman got sentenced for murder, after stabbing her husband in a violent altercation. He had a police record for domestic violence, already.

What's infuriating about the article are the claims from Russian news that women should be proud of their bruises, battered women have the "biological advantage" of bearing more sons, and of course, if he loves you, he beats you.

Eff all of that!

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

What's infuriating about the article are the claims from Russian news that women should be proud of their bruises, battered women have the "biological advantage" of bearing more sons, and of course, if he loves you, he beats you.

Re bolded: Oh, of course that lovely proverb. :my_angry:

Here's a good article about the decriminalization of domestic violence, and how Russians view this as a return to "traditional values": http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21715726-it-fits-traditional-values-lawmakers-say-why-russia-about-decriminalise-wife-beating

Warning that this link describes a woman being assaulted by her boyfriend.

Archived