IGNORED

Big Sandy Family Conference April 2017

Palimpsest

On 1/29/2017 at 6:51 PM, acheronbeach said:

Who knows?   We may get "The Cheese Paper Incident Part 2."  Who will eat the cheese paper this time? 

Dare I ask what the Cheese Paper Incident Part 1 was? 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

Dare I ask what the Cheese Paper Incident Part 1 was? 

Only the GREATEST STORY the Maxwells ever told.  An epic story of the hazards of eating presliced cheese in sandwiches!

http://blog.titus2.com/2008/04/03/border-crossing-paperwork-scenery-and-eating-hazards/

No joke, every time I read the cheese paper story I laugh my ass off.  The photo of Teri displaying a half-eaten piece of waxed paper is really the cherry on the cake.  

omg i'm totally humiliated! i've done this!!!!! even worse, it was GRILLED cheese, so it was all melted together. i also ate half before realizing (and then getting a horrible stomach ache! no picture for evidence though...).

i'm just going to see here and keep repeating to myself: i'm NOT a maxwell, i'm NOT a maxwell, i'm NOT a maxwell!!!!!

:embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed::embarrassed:

Is the Maxwell bus dead?  Where will the whole clan stay at Big Sandy if they don't have a bus? 

3 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Is the Maxwell bus dead?  Where will the whole clan stay at Big Sandy if they don't have a bus? 

I'm ashamed to know that Uriah died in 2014.  

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Wasn't Uriah sold to a family in California?

You're probably right.  I just remember the memorial-like post about "Uriah's last trip" ... I think it was with Hot John as the driver.  

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Is that the Fundy Family equivalent of "we took it to a farm upstate where it has room to run and play with all of its new friends"?

7 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

I'm ashamed to know that Uriah died in 2014.  

I hate to say it, but I honestly think that Uriah was the most interesting Maxwell.  With the semi-regular breaking down, the constant windshield replacing, and being humped by several FJers who attended a conference and confronted Stevehovah, Uriah had quite the exciting life!

9 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yes, he was. And I miss @treemom

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 3:16 PM, marmalade said:

I posted the link elsewhere, assuming that it was already posted here. 

I think this is a first for the Maxwells and speaks to their desperation. With no conferences last year, Steve needs new followers. IBLP's leader is weak. Lots of potential fresh meat.

Would they even follow him? Seriously Gothaard is bad but damn Steve is worse

6 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Seems to me many of these people are looking for the exact formula to have a perfect house, kids, marriage and Steve, Gothard, Doug the Tool and others are selling it. Sad really because the truth is there isn't an exact formula and life isn't perfect. Then again, I'm preaching to the choir.

13 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

I think he has negatively impacted untold lives. One example is the Munck family. They went to a Maxwell seminar, and Father Munck became convicted to start a daily family bible study, pull the kids from extracurricular activities, and close down his daughters' blog because Steve told them they should only be posting on the main family blog. Mama Munck was breathlessly onboard, waxing poetic on her blog about how their eyes had been opened, or some other such drivel. 

The two families further entwined themselves when Joseph decided Elizabeth Munck was the love of his life. I'm fuzzy on this aspect, but I believe they had only met about three times in person before they became engaged.

I think some of the madness wore off once Elizabeth ran like hell for the hills and canceled the engagement. There was some question of whether someone had clued the Muncks in to the Maxwell freak show--both blogs were scrubbed--but not before Steve so graciously threw Elizabeth under the bus. Laura Munck (the mom) wrote a post obliquely condemning the rules they had been subjected to under Steve's guidance, although she never mentioned him by name.

The Munck parents encouraged their daughters to start their blog up again, but it was too late.  They only wrote a couple of listless posts before closing it again for good. The joy had been drained from their writing; an avenue to express themselves, as themselves, in a warm and natural manner had been taken from them permanently by Steve and their foolish parents.

It makes me sick he is being given a platform at Big Sandy on which to share his malevolent message. I don't throw around the word 'evil' lightly, but due to the suffering this man has caused, both inside and outside of his immediate family, he is, for me, the epitome of evil. I hope I know where he is going when he dies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to wonder what their numbers are compared to at the height of the Gothard movement. After all how much fresh blood is there? Then there was what appeared to be a locking down of the allowance of social media last year. Also wasn't there the Salvation Army Camp debacle for a planned seminar for "early arranged marriages" a few month before or after the Big Sandy Family Conference?

10 hours ago, infooverload said:

Also wasn't there the Salvation Army Camp debacle for a planned seminar for "early arranged marriages" a few month before or after the Big Sandy Family Conference?

That was a fabulous debacle indeed; it  was the Vaughn Ohlman Fundie Retreat to Marry Off Children thread.  Read about it here

22 minutes ago, Howl said:

Vaughn Ohlman Fundie Retreat to Marry Off Children thread.

We also had a group read of his instructional novel until we disbanded early because retching.  It's pretty illuminating as to his beliefs (although horribly written).  Vaughn Ohlman is a scholar-expert on breast development in females equating to marriage readiness.   Oh, and Daddy picks the spouse-to-be. 

:fubar:

On 04/02/2017 at 6:38 AM, HereticHick said:

I bet just Steve and Teri go, plus maybe 1 of the kidults to help sell products, if there's a book stand there. 

The sad thing is, I think the kidults, particularly the girls, probably would quite like to go, but it might be too much like f*n and definitely too non-Maxwellian for the whole family to grace it with their presence.

I mean - there was a single SAHD girls conference in KC last year that surely would have been an acceptably fundie activity for the Maxwell girls, since An Actually Approved Friend of Sarah's was presenting - but still they didn't attend.

Whoever goes to Big Sandy, we definitely won't read about it on the Maxwell blog. It'll be like it never happened.

In relation to the Vaughn Fundie retreat I just had to love how the friendly atheist on patheos got hold of the story. For people who use to go to Big Sandy do they publish attendance numbers for Gothard members to see? I have to think there is shrinkage happening with the conferences l. Then again maybe I'm trying to be hopeful after my recent reading of Christian Nation which was a little nerve wracking to read in the current climate.

2 hours ago, infooverload said:

. For people who use to go to Big Sandy do they publish attendance numbers for Gothard members to see?

Pretty sure they don't and they never had. Gothard liked to trot out the numbers that attended his Basic Conference back in his height of fame, but it is hard to know how many people have been members of ATI and how many are now. It is shrinking, but I'm not sure it would be possible to get hold of actual numbers. 

On 2/17/2017 at 6:31 AM, formergothardite said:

Pretty sure they don't and they never had. Gothard liked to trot out the numbers that attended his Basic Conference back in his height of fame, but it is hard to know how many people have been members of ATI and how many are now. It is shrinking, but I'm not sure it would be possible to get hold of actual numbers. 

Who does that sound like?

Gothard and Trump are cut from the same cloth. 

On 1/29/2017 at 5:59 PM, Dandruff said:

He reminds me of Alfred E. Neuman, which isn't very nice, but he does.  And I don't think I've ever seen a photo of him with even a slightly different expression on his face, which creeps me out a bit.

He reminds me of a baby Ted Cruz. Which creeps me out plenty.

On 02/17/2017 at 7:31 PM, formergothardite said:

The only actual numbers available are the tax summaries,courtesy of the IRS.  They make for some interesting reading.  Their revenue might be up a little this year (since they sold some fairly valuable real estate) but, in general, their finances are in a definite decline.

On 16/02/2017 at 7:25 PM, CTRLZero said:

We also had a group read of his instructional novel until we disbanded early because retching.  It's pretty illuminating as to his beliefs (although horribly written).  Vaughn Ohlman is a scholar-expert on breast development in females equating to marriage readiness.   Oh, and Daddy picks the spouse-to-be. 

:fubar:

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

@Destiny was very brave to recap as much of Vaughn Oldman, the pedophilic pimp, 's book as she did. Just reading her recaps squicked me out. They're in her blog, if anyone needs to see how bad his ideas are. (Plus, @OnceUponATime provided illustrations!) Here's the first entry:

@Destiny was very brave to recap as much of Vaughn Oldman, the pedophilic pimp, 's book as she did. Just reading her recaps squicked me out. They're in her blog, if anyone needs to see how bad his ideas are. (Plus, @OnceUponATime provided illustrations!) Here's the first entry:

I still intend to finish that project. I need to get off my ass and do it.

I need to get another case of wine before I jump off that bridge though.

Archived