IGNORED

Oscar Nominations

kpmom

Any thoughts on the Oscar nominees?

I've only seen three of the best picture nominees; Manchester by the Sea, Arrival, and Hell or High Water.

I originally thought Manchester dragged and was too low key (and a downer), but I found myself still thinking about it a week or two later and realized there was more to it than I first thought.

I loved both Arrival and Hell or High Water (Arrival in particular), but La La Land (haven't seen) seems to be the favorite.

• 3 weeks later...

Unlike almost every critic in the country, I despised La La Land. The opening number was great, so I settled in for a great movie. Then promptly dozed off because it dragged. Ryan Gosling can't sing or dance (though he did learn how to play piano for the role). I thought the story was dumb. And, despite it being compared to classic Hollywood musicals, the ending was not a happy one. That is one movie I won't bother to see when it comes on HBO or Showtime.

I'm supposed to go see Hidden Figures this week. Everyone I know who has seen it has enjoyed it.

Manchester and Arrival look good. I haven't seen much about Hell or High Water. Sadly, I haven't seen many movies this past year.

• 2 weeks later...

Well @kpmom and @GreyhoundFan, the Oscars were presented last night and I was pretty happy with how they turned out.  It was NOT a rout for La-La Land which some had predicted.  The  biggest surprise though was when they announced the Best Picture winner.  It was not, as initially announced,  La-La Land, but Moonlight!!  Price Waterhouse had mistakenly put a Best Actress card in the Best Picture envelope.  The real card was revealed after all the La-La Land people were on the stage.  Warren Beatty knew something was wrong when he saw it, he seemed a bit confused by the card.  

I am delighted that Jackie Chan got a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy Governors.  I wish they'd show the presentation of those awards on TCM.

@PennySycamore, I know, I was happy LLL didn't win everything. I've not seen Moonlight, but I was just glad because it wasn't LLL. The Washington Post had a good article about how the producer of LLL was mature and stood up to tell the truth about losing the award, even though it was hard.

Just think how much of a mess it would've been if this was the best picture...

ManosBP.jpg

Archived