IGNORED

United States Congress

Ali

I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to keep track of all the legislation going through Congress. I know many of us are busy and there is so many ridiculous distractions such as #alternativefacts and tweets from Cheeto.  It makes it easy for the Republican majority to try to pass legislation without anyone noticing.

It does not take long to call a Representative or a Senator. I have mine saved on my contact list.

My hope is that we could keep a running list of issues and current legislation that we can contact our Representatives and Senators about and keep the fight going over the next four years. We can also try to provide links for Congress voted so that we can send them thank you emails or letters.

Phone calls and going to town halls are the most effective ways to influence your Representative. Emails are not likely to be read.

https://qz.com/836737/fomer-congressional-staffer-twitter-tips-on-how-to-get-congress-to-listen-to-you-went-viral/

Here is a link to find your Representative:

http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

Here is a list of contact information for the current Senators:

https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea, @Ali!

I would also suggest signing up for newsletters and town halls (regular and telephone) that are offered by Senators and House Members. I have done the same for my state Senator and Rep. Next will be the local Board of Supervisors member. I want them all to know their actions and words are being monitored and I will speak up if I'm not happy. Conversely, I have dropped notes to my national reps to tell them I've been happy that they have been resisting Agent Orange. All of my representatives are Democrats, but they need to know that the whole country isn't made up of Branch Trumpvidians.

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Great idea, @Ali!

I would also suggest signing up for newsletters and town halls (regular and telephone) that are offered by Senators and House Members. I have done the same for my state Senator and Rep. Next will be the local Board of Supervisors member. I want them all to know their actions and words are being monitored and I will speak up if I'm not happy. Conversely, I have dropped notes to my national reps to tell them I've been happy that they have been resisting Agent Orange. All of my representatives are Democrats, but they need to know that the whole country isn't made up of Branch Trumpvidians.

Being active on the state level is a good idea. I need to work on keeping up with them also.

My Representative is a Republican sell-out. Perhaps we can work on coming up with things to push for Reps like mine that are not too liberal? I have been pushing not repealing Obamacare without a replacement in place and having the popular parts of Obamacare in the replacement such as insurance companies not being able to deny or charge more preexisting conditions.

I was looking at the websites for my Senators before signing off for the night and found this. Forty-three Senators have introduced legislation to permanently repeal the global gag rule.

One day after President Trump reinstated the harmful executive order, 43 bipartisan Senators introduce legislation that supports women’s reproductive rights and international family planning programs

WASHINGTON – One day after President Trump issued an executive order to reinstate the Global Gag Rule, U.S. Sens. Mark Warner and Tim Kaine (both D-VA), joined Sens. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Susan Collins (R-ME) and 39 other Senators to introduce the Global Health, Empowerment, and Rights (HER) Act, which would permanently repeal the harmful policy.

The Global Gag Rule, also known as the Mexico City Policy, bans foreign non-governmental organizations that receive U.S. aid from using their own funds to provide abortion services or information about abortion as part of comprehensive family planning services. The Global Gag Rule forces health clinics operating abroad to choose between providing limited reproductive health services while accepting U.S. foreign aid, or forgoing those resources in order to provide women with inclusive family planning and reproductive healthcare.

In addition to reinstating the policy, which was not in effect during the Obama Administration, the executive order issued yesterday expanded the policy from the Bush Administration to apply to every program that falls under global health assistance at the Department of State, the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), and the Department of Health and Human Services. Existing federal law already prohibits the use of U.S. tax dollars to pay for abortion, and the Global Health, Empowerment, and Rights (HER) Act would retain that restriction while allowing foreign aid groups to provide women with information about their full range of family planning options using other funding sources.

“The global gag rule is a short-sighted policy that has a devastating impact on the health and well-being of women around the world. By limiting the ability of foreign NGOs to operate even with their own funds, the policy can lead to programs being closed, less efficiency, and studies even show that it tends to increase the rate of abortion,” said Sen. Warner. “I’m proud to be joining Senators from both sides of the aisle in this effort to permanently end this ideological policy once and for all.”

“Making foreign clinics choose between providing critical health services to women in their communities and much-needed U.S. aid is wrong,” said Sen. Kaine. “It’s time to permanently repeal this harmful policy that puts millions of women around the world at risk.”  

The Global Health, Empowerment, and Rights (HER) Act would:

Ensure that eligible foreign NGOs can continue to operate U.S.-supported health programs abroad, particularly those that provide legal health services to women -- including counseling, referral, and legal abortion services -- with their own, non-U.S. funds;

Guarantee that foreign NGOs will not be forced to sacrifice their right to free speech in order to participate in U.S.-supported programs abroad;

Help expand access to health programs for women around the world to improve health and development outcomes for entire families, communities, and developing countries. 

Sens. Warner and Kaine are both strong advocates of federal programs that support family planning and women’s health.

I just dropped both Warner's and Kaine's offices a quick note to thank them for this. I don't have a list of all the signatories handy, though it should be available as public record.

Here is a list of Republicans who have made a statement about the ban:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/29/heres-where-republicans-stand-on-president-trumps-controversial-travel-ban/?utm_term=.da5bc41eda52

Some deserve a thank you letter. Others are in desperate need to have their phone lines clogged tomorrow.

Some seem to be unaware that we have a vetting process that takes two years and has a 100% success rate of preventing terrorism.

I thought the phone call to them could go something like this:

"I am really surprised that the Senator/Congressman(woman) is unaware that we have a two year vetting process for refugees that a has a 100% success rate for preventing terrorist from entering the country. I would like he/she to spend some time reading through that process and figure out exactly what needs to be improved. In the meantime, I would like him/her to support ending the ban."

Perhaps a comment could be added about how the Bible views refugees if he/she claims to be a Christian. This article has some great comments from the pope:

http://usuncut.com/news/pope-francis-cannot-reject-refugees-call-christian/

Edited to say that we also need to mention Cheeto's business connections in the Muslim majority countries left off the ban, the terrorists responsible for 9/11 came from countries not banned, and that no one responsible for acts of terror in the United States have come from any of the banned countries.

Great script @Ali!

Every Sunday, The Washington Post has a "worst week in Washington" op-ed piece, featuring a public figure who had a bad week for some reason or another. This week, they featured the slimy Paul Ryan.

Here's Paul D. Ryan in December 2015 on then-candidate Donald Trump's proposed temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States: "This is not conservatism."

And here's Ryan on Friday in the wake of Trump's executive order restricting refugees from entering the United States and stopping entry of all visitors from seven predominantly Muslim countries: "President Trump is right to make sure we are doing everything possible to know exactly who is entering our country."

Hmmmm.

Ryan and other Republican leaders are explaining their seeming about-face on Trump's ban by insisting that the executive order doesn't target any particular religion and, therefore, doesn't violate Ryan's stated opposition to barring people from the United States on the grounds of their religious preference.

To which I say: Riiiiiiiiiight.

What's really happened between Ryan's first statement in December 2015 and his current reaction to the Trump executive order is that Trump got elected president. Back in late 2015, there was considerable doubt that Trump would even emerge as the Republican nominee. He did -- and then he won the White House, running, unapologetically, on policies just like this one.

Over that time, Ryan found a way to make a sort-of peace with Trump, focusing on Trump's apparent willingness to defer to congressional Republicans on major domestic-policy matters including the repeal and replacement of the Affordable Care Act, entitlement revision and tax restructuring.

The problem for Ryan, as the latest Trump executive order makes clear, is that Trump's vision of conservatism is radically at odds with Ryan's vision. Ryan spent much of last fall, after he publicly pronounced that he would not campaign for Trump, laying out a positive and inclusive vision of the GOP.  Ryan was clearly hoping that when -- not if --Trump lost, he himself could begin to emerge as the party's primary leader and implement some of his ideas for a party desperate for direction.

Instead, he found himself sitting on a dais in Philadelphia on Thursday while Trump touted a protectionist view on trade and offered few specifics about how he proposes Congress fund his many priorities, including infrastructure spending and the construction of a wall along the country's southern border.

This week drove home two painful realities for Ryan: 1) Trump is not going to sit back and let others run the country; and 2) Trump's vision of what the Republican party is and should be is totally different from the speaker's own.

For those two reasons and the prospect of four more years of President Trump, Paul Ryan, you had the Worst Week in Washington. Congrats, or something.

I shed exactly zero tears for the jerk.

1 hour ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Great script @Ali!

Every Sunday, The Washington Post has a "worst week in Washington" op-ed piece, featuring a public figure who had a bad week for some reason or another. This week, they featured the slimy Paul Ryan.

I shed exactly zero tears for the jerk.

Hell, I'd take it a step further and openly laugh in that hypocritical piece of shit's face.

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck you, Mitch McConnell, and the rest of your Republican cronies in the Senate: "Republicans vote to rebuke Elizabeth Warren, saying she impugned Sessions’s character"

Senate Republicans passed a party-line rebuke Tuesday night of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) for a speech opposing attorney general nominee Jeff Sessions, striking down her words for impugning the Alabama senator’s character.

In an extraordinarily rare move, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) interrupted Warren’s speech, in a near-empty chamber as debate on Sessions’s nomination heads toward a Wednesday evening vote, and said that she had breached Senate rules by reading past statements against Sessions from figures such as the late senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) and the late Coretta Scott King.

“The senator has impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama,” McConnell said, then setting up a series of roll-call votes on Warren’s conduct.

It was the latest clash in the increasingly hostile debate over confirming President Trump’s Cabinet, during which Democrats have accused Republicans of trying to force through nominees without proper vetting. Democrats, unable to stop the confirmations that require simple majorities, have countered by using extreme delay tactics that have dragged out the process longer than any in history for a new president’s Cabinet.

The Democratic moves, including boycotting committee room votes on nominees last week and a round-the-clock debate Monday night before Tuesday’s confirmation of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, reached a boiling point during the debate over Sessions — which Democrats are vowing to continue overnight.

McConnell specifically cited portions of a letter that King, the widow of slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., wrote to the Senate Judiciary Committee in opposition to Sessions’s 1986 nomination to be a federal judge.

“Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens,” King wrote, referencing controversial prosecutions at the time that Sessions served as the U.S. attorney for Alabama. Earlier, Warren read from the 1986 statement of Kennedy, a senior member of the Judiciary Committee who led the opposition then against Sessions, including the Massachusetts Democrat’s concluding line: “He is, I believe, a disgrace to the Justice Department and he should withdraw his nomination and resign his position.”

The Senate voted, 49 to 43, strictly on party lines, to uphold the ruling that Warren violated rules of debate. Pursuant to those rules, Warren is now forbidden from speaking during the remainder of the debate on the nomination of Sessions.

“I am surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate,” Warren said after McConnell’s motion.

Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), a freshman who was presiding over the Senate at the time, issued a warning to Warren at that point, singling out Kennedy’s “disgrace” comment, and 25 minutes later McConnell came to the floor and set in motion the battle, citing the comments in the King letter as crossing the line.

Other Democrats later came to her defense, but Warren’s speech ended with a simple admonition from Daines: “The senator will take her seat.”

Warren, a liberal firebrand whom some activists want to run for president, took to social media to attack McConnell and Republicans for shutting down her speech.

Off the Senate floor, Warren called in to MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show,” a program watched loyally by many Warren devotees, to explain that “I’ve been red- carded on Sen. Sessions, I’m out of the game of the Senate floor. I don’t get to speak at all.”

Rising to Warren’s defense, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), the chamber’s only African American woman, asked that Warren be allowed to resume participation in the debate. But her request was rejected along party lines.

Public reaction to the Senate floor drama mushroomed on social media. Democrats began using #LetLizSpeak on Twitter to draw attention to the senator’s speech, while supporters started posting copies of King’s letter on Twitter and Facebook to draw attention to the cause.

At least one other Democrat, Sen. Christopher Murphy (Conn.), hinted that he might try to pick up where Warren left off at some point overnight, saying on Twitter, “Go ahead and rule me out of order.”

There are several Tweets in the article. I am just seething about this.

37 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Fuck you, Mitch McConnell, and the rest of your Republican cronies in the Senate: "Republicans vote to rebuke Elizabeth Warren, saying she impugned Sessions’s character"

There are several Tweets in the article. I am just seething about this.

This is DISGUSTING. I honestly can't believe it. This is really painful to hear. I don't really have words... :(

AND THEY CALL US LIBERAL SNOWFLAKE!!! (Not trying to say everyone is liberal, talking in general :) )

Also we are allowed to censor on the senate floor?! and it was from Coretta Scott King!! It's not like she would have made this up, there is such ample facts that he is a racist/sexist so I just don't understand besides these people's (re: Turtle-face and his posse) being so sensitive/

Even as dire as the situation is, that is seriously funny. I kind of want to use that the next time I start job hunting

Aaaand, Lindsey Graham is back to being a douchecanoe: "Sen. Lindsey Graham: Silencing Sen. Elizabeth Warren 'was long overdue'"

Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham says the silencing of Sen. Elizabeth Warren on the Senate floor Tuesday was "long overdue."

The South Carolina senator appeared on the Mike Gallagher Show Wednesday, where he said Warren reading the letter from Coretta Scott King -- in which she expressed opposition to Jeff Sessions' nomination to the federal bench in 1986 -- was defamatory to Sessions, now an Alabama senator. The Massachusetts Democrat was ruled to be in violation of Senate rules for impugning another senator.

"The bottom line is, it was long overdue with her," he said. "I mean, she is clearly running for the nomination in 2020."

"The Democratic Party is being pushed really hard by the most extreme voices in their community, and they just don't know how to handle it," he added. "If they empower her, then I think the Democratic Party is gonna lose way with the vast majority of the American people."

Priceless, since he's run for the GOP nomination at least 425 times.

On 1/29/2017 at 6:45 PM, Ali said:

Here is a list of Republicans who have made a statement about the ban:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/29/heres-where-republicans-stand-on-president-trumps-controversial-travel-ban/?utm_term=.da5bc41eda52

Some deserve a thank you letter. Others are in desperate need to have their phone lines clogged tomorrow.

Some seem to be unaware that we have a vetting process that takes two years and has a 100% success rate of preventing terrorism.

I thought the phone call to them could go something like this:

"I am really surprised that the Senator/Congressman(woman) is unaware that we have a two year vetting process for refugees that a has a 100% success rate for preventing terrorist from entering the country. I would like he/she to spend some time reading through that process and figure out exactly what needs to be improved. In the meantime, I would like him/her to support ending the ban."

Perhaps a comment could be added about how the Bible views refugees if he/she claims to be a Christian. This article has some great comments from the pope:

http://usuncut.com/news/pope-francis-cannot-reject-refugees-call-christian/

Edited to say that we also need to mention Cheeto's business connections in the Muslim majority countries left off the ban, the terrorists responsible for 9/11 came from countries not banned, and that no one responsible for acts of terror in the United States have come from any of the banned countries.

The parents of OneKid's best friend are very VERY Catholic and voted for orange Julius.  I'm afraid to ask them how they feel now, or if the Pope's message has moved them in anyway. Mr. Onekid says I should forgive them for voting for shit stain.  That they are good people, but "misguided".  I'm not so forgiving.  In my  more volatile days (who am I kidding I'm still that way)    I used to have a motto.  "I never suffer silently.  I never suffer alone. And I never forget.:kitty-cussing:

19 hours ago, iweartanktops said:

This is DISGUSTING. I honestly can't believe it. This is really painful to hear. I don't really have words... :(

I have words.  Only I better not use them.

Reply from Thom Tillis on if he is going to have a town hall type meeting to answer questions. The answer is HELL NO!

You specifically mentioned town halls, and I take from your note that you would like to attend a session where I address the crowd and then take questions from the audience.

While that is one way to engage with constituents, I have found it is generally not all that effective for several reasons. First, town hall settings require a great deal of coordination on time and venue, both of which present constraints. For example, many facilities will not allow for more than several dozen individuals to be present without some attendees having difficulty hearing or seeing the elected official speak and answer questions. Second, in person town hall meetings generally require a commitment several weeks in advance – a commitment my office is not prepared to make given the full schedule of the Senate and the duties attendant to service there. Finally, as of late, it has become apparent that some individuals who are not really interested in meaningful dialogue attend town halls just to create disruptions and media spectacles. This is particularly unfortunate because it leads to a scenario in which only the loudest voices in the room can be heard and very little meaningful discussion can actually occur. While I am certain you have no interest in being a part of such a session, clearly some folks have intentions that are not as pure as yours. Under those circumstances, we have determined that talking with constituents via phone, one on one, in tele-town halls, during Facebook live sessions and through the hundreds of thousands of letters we receive and respond to here in our office is an easier way to collaborate on ways we can best serve North Carolina.

The bolded made me laugh. Someone was in a mood to be passive-aggressive. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

26 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Reply from Thom Tillis on if he is going to have a town hall type meeting to answer questions. The answer is HELL NO!

The bolded made me laugh. Someone was in a mood to be passive-aggressive. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

He could do like the jerk Dave Brat here in VA, who decided he didn't want to have local town halls, so he went to one in Arizona. I guess that's a good way to ignore your constituents.

10 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Indivisible's advice is to now start writing letters to the editor to let them know how unresponsive to the public your rep has become. 

I'm getting close to that point with one of my senators, who is refusing to answer his phone. 

Interesting: "Marco Rubio just gave a really important speech — but almost no one paid attention"

Mitch McConnell's decision to silence Elizabeth Warren on the Senate floor earlier this week drew massive media attention — and outrage among partisans of all stripes.

By contrast, few people paid much attention to the speech Florida Sen. Marco Rubio gave in the aftermath of the shushing of Warren. They should.

Rubio's speech was a plea for civility in the Senate, a warning that if civilized debate dies in the Senate, it will die in the broader society too. It's an important address — and one well worth spending eight minutes of your life listening to.

A few lines that really stood out to me:

* “I don't know of a civilization in the history of the world that's been able to solve its problems when half the people in a country absolutely hate the other half of the people in that country.”

* “We are becoming a society incapable of having debate anymore.”

* “We are reaching a point in this republic where we are not going to be able to solve the simplest of issues because everyone is putting themselves in a corner where everyone hates everybody.”

* “What's at stake here tonight … is not simply some rule but the ability of the most important nation on earth to debate in a productive and respectful way the pressing issues before it.”

It's easy, of course, to roll your eyes at Rubio. He, of course, is someone of considerable political ambition. And Rubio clearly believes it is in his long-term best interests to establish himself as a voice for civility and reasoned debate during his time in the Senate.

But simply because Rubio is a politician doesn't mean that what he says should be dismissed out of hand. What Rubio is reacting to is something I hear time and time again when I talk to people about politics. When did “reasonable people can disagree” stop being something we believed in? Why can't genuine debate not descend into name-calling? Why is confrontation the only way the two parties — and their leading politicians — seem to interact these days?

The answer, as I wrote earlier this week, is that confrontation is what energizes the bases of the two parties. And energizing those bases is what politicians spend most of their time focusing on these days. Unfortunately, the byproduct of all that confrontation is an increasing cynicism and disgust among the large swaths of people who aren't part of either base.

The election of President Trump seems to have proven that those people don't matter all that much, that the way to win is to relentlessly vilify the other side so that your people are mad enough at the other side to turn out to vote.

Rubio is positioning himself as the counterweight to that strategy, betting big on the idea that the Trump era won't last forever. It's a noble effort although one with a very uncertain future.

I guess he's trying to stake his claim for 2020, assuming that Agent Orange flames out.

I have no idea where to put this, so I'm throwing it out here. Have we discussed this? What, exactly does he mean by it? "Congratulations that you have MS and I don't"? What the hell? 

@Mecca, behold, your favorite ass hat:

I can't find the full video. 

Also, how many times a day do I have ask, "what the hell" and "what the fuck"?? 

@iweartanktops  Yep, Grandpa Munster Asshat during the debate said the most ridiculous thing you could ever say to a person struggling with a disease or illness. I was all like :pb_eek: when he said that. I know when I went to meet my oncologist for the first time back in Sept. he said, " Congratulations on your endometrial carcinoma. Congratulations on dealing with your cancer. It is a terrible disease, and congratulations on your struggles dealing with it." :pb_rollseyes:

I refuse to believe Cruz is this great debater people claim he is.

And to add to my last post, the statement from Ted's office just makes his wording even more ridiculous. “As he did with every questioner last evening, Sen. Cruz’s goal was to identify with their battles, and to express his concern for and understanding of the immense difficulties they have had to overcome and in many cases may still be overcoming," Um, there is a HUGE difference in trying to understand someone's struggle and congratulating them on their struggle. 

And now that I am thinking about it more, Ted's damn answer back to that woman infuriates me even more than it did the other night. He lied. He lied to that woman and then he said due to the expansion people like her are hurting the system and causing wait times to increase for people that need it more. He slammed the system as a whole without looking at the bigger problems. Healthcare in the U.S. is a big business and a commodity. THANK YOU GOP! And yes, many doctors need to open their doors, take their oath seriously and take on patients that have Medicaid, but many don't. They complain they don't want to deal with "those patients." There is a stigma for patients that are on Medicaid. Many healthcare professionals won't admit that, but I have witnessed it throughout my career. 

I could rant about this for weeks, but I will spare you all. 

"In Congress, Republicans are quiet and meek as mice"

Imagine how Republicans would have reacted if President Barack Obama had attacked a retailer for dropping his daughter’s product line. Or asked senators to confirm a Cabinet pick who said guns are needed in schools to defend against grizzly bears. Or tried to undermine the independence of the federal judiciary. Or equated the United States’ moral standing with that of Vladimir Putin’s Russia.

There would have been howls of outrage, of course, and multiple investigations, and even calls for impeachment. But it’s President Trump doing all those things, so Republicans in Congress are as meek and quiet as mice.

Perhaps the most striking thing about the chaotic and exhausting first three weeks of the Trump administration is the degree to which Republicans have held together, placing loyalty above all else. The party of Lincoln has sold its soul — and like all Faustian bargains, this one will not end well.

Over in the House, meanwhile, all the zeal for holding the executive branch accountable has gone poof. Remember how eager House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) was to investigate every real or imagined question about the Obama administration? Remember how he went after Hillary Clinton over her emails? Suddenly — and this is rich — he declines to launch any probe that might be seen as a “fishing expedition.”

Trump’s attack on a private company, Nordstrom, for no longer carrying his daughter Ivanka’s line of merchandise? Not a “big deal,” Chaffetz said. Trump’s hotel lease for the Old Post Office building, which makes him both landlord and tenant? Chaffetz is “curious” but wants to wait for an opinion by the General Services Administration, which now reports to Trump. The many potential conflicts of interest posed by Trump’s worldwide business interests? Chaffetz stifles a yawn.

The author is so right. The hysteria if Obama or Hillary did even a single one of the insane things that has been foisted on us since the Orange Menace came to power would have been beyond belief. It would be nice if Chap-ass would get voted out, but I read he has always won by huge margins in Utah.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived