IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP?): Erika Shupe pt. 10

December

If you try to spend too time trying to discern Erika's logic you may very well end up as turned around as she is. It must really be exhausting to keep up with the level of ocd she is, for both her and her family members.

About the twins always being a set - the only time I can recall hearing Erika admit they are in fact two separate individuals is in describing a photo on her fb page as her dad with "one of the twins." She didn't go so far as to even mention which twin, even though one of the discerning earrings she said she uses to tell them apart was visible. And that doesn't even get them out of being a set, really, as she was just "one of the twins." Still, I was surprised Erika admitted they could exist independent of each other.

She either doesn't care enough to actually acknowledge them as two different people, or she truly does not know which is which. Either way she needs a slap upside the head and some decent family therapy, for the benefit of her and the children.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/15/2017 at 8:06 AM, crawfishgirl said:

Wasn't there a big argument on FJ many years back about peanut butter?  I've seen people mention it, but never saw the actual discussion.  Was it about sending pb sandwiches to school, since some kids have allergies?  

Yeah. I know as a former preschool teacher in the last 5-10 years schools have been made nut free for allergies. I totally get it for ECE, pre K, daycare, anywhere with kiddos early grade school age and younger. My concern with the policy for kids as they age especially when it's enforced into middle and high school is that children with allergies aren't taught the diligence they'll need to do on their own eventually and don't have a safe place to practice.

I know in my area there was a spike of serious allergic reactions and even deaths starting around the time some of the first groups of kids brought up protected in a nut free bubble became teens and young adults. It was found most didnt realize nuts were hidden in so many products they'd never had to ask about, while some even thought the person who had supplied them with whatever they ate should have been the one to know whether or not it was nut free. A few even believed it was the other person's responsibility to warn them/not to offer them an item that contained any traces of nuts.

This result was what I feared could be the outcome when the nut ban policy started to be implemented. It was a controversial opinion and a lot of people were offended and accused me of not grasping the severity of but allergies and lacking compassion for people who suffer from them. Quite the contrary, I just believe we need to teach our students skills to be successful in life instead of thinking our job was over once they left the classroom, leaving them on their own to survive as an adult.

The notes Karen wrote for her siblings (the original photo of which sparked off the whole omg-they're-in-school thing) differentiated between the twins. Lacey was described as bouncy and takes care of Lilly when she's sad, whereas Lilly was described as a little sunshine and likes to snuggle with Karen. 

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

The notes Karen wrote for her siblings (the original photo of which sparked off the whole omg-they're-in-school thing) differentiated between the twins. Lacey was described as bouncy and takes care of Lilly when she's sad, whereas Lilly was described as a little sunshine and likes to snuggle with Karen. 

So big sis views them as individuals but mummy does not. Go Karen!

14 minutes ago, imokit said:

So big sis views them as individuals but mummy does not. Go Karen!

Guess it's the sister mom thing. 

15 hours ago, Zola said:

Either way she needs a slap upside the head and some decent family therapy, for the benefit of her and the children.

More than one slap, and more than a year of decent family therapy.

10 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Karen Shupe has a Google plus account. It is public. Since she is 18, I'm assuming it's OK to post the link, but mods, please remove it if I am wrong. 

https://plus.google.com/102563706238093600799

She seems like a happy young adult, and has the usual stuff on her instagram. 

Melanie has one as well. Her art is INCREDIBLE.

20 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Karen Shupe has a Google plus account. It is public. Since she is 18, I'm assuming it's OK to post the link, but mods, please remove it if I am wrong. 

https://plus.google.com/102563706238093600799

She seems like a happy young adult, and has the usual stuff on her page. 

Not to read into things...but she is in a military spouses, girlfriends, moms page. IIRC, the Shupes have no military connection, do they? Maybe she has found a nice military man.

Melanie seems to be quite into Myers-Briggs personality types. 

Seems like Brandon has one too.

53 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Not to read into things...but she is in a military spouses, girlfriends, moms page. IIRC, the Shupes have no military connection, do they? Maybe she has found a nice military man.

One of her posts refers to another girl as "my bf's sister." Go Karen!!

I actually have never heard of a Google plus account. Just how removed from reality am I? Is this a new thing? :content:

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

Melanie seems to be quite into Myers-Briggs personality types. 

Seems like Brandon has one too.

This must be him - Karen has made comments. He also seems to like military stuff. Interesting.

I *love* that the one song he likes under Songs I Like is Heathens by Twenty One Pilots. 

While Twenty One Pilots is an excellent band that some think almost stops just short of being considered Christian (they're my current favorite band), I have a hard time believing Erika would be okay with a song titled Heathens, or one that came from the Suicide Squad movie soundtrack.

Is Karen in college, there's a picture of her spending time with international students and she says in association with Skagit Valley college. Could she be attending there?

2 hours ago, imokit said:

Is Karen in college, there's a picture of her spending time with international students and she says in association with Skagit Valley college. Could she be attending there?

I wondered about that, too, but the "exchange program" she mentions is connected with a Baptist Church in her town. So it's possible she is going to Skagit Valley Community College, but it's also possible that the young man in the pic attends the college, and was visiting the church through the exchange program.

Wow I'm impressed by both Karen and Melanie Google+. They look normal! They seem to be well balanced, responsible and creative. That creative side of them is impressive considering their upbringing. And I loooove that Melanie calls herself a lonely wolf, what probably means she hates sharing a bedroom with eleventy sisters. 

Erika seems to have failed in washing M&K brains. Hope so.

A handful of crackers, half a tortilla, and some peanut butter is a lunch?  That's a snack.  I wonder if Erika will get a note from a teacher to please send more food or if the teachers just sneak the kid more food.

That's not even a snack - throw in a long day of learning, extra-curriculars, play time, fluctuating emotions and weather, the odd strenuous PE class and that 'snack' is a migraine waiting to happen. Where's the fruit? Proper sandwiches? Can the kids order food or does Erika prefer to save money?

I thought the salads were bad but this is worse - does she not like making/preparing food or is there something else going on?

I don't want to post a link to Melanie's page since she is underage, though it is easy enough to find through Karen's. She posted some artwork that included a quote from Beauty & the Beast. Naturally, a discussion about the homosexual agenda ensued. Malenie commented the following:

yep! secret: it's nearly my favorite fairytale. :)
I didn't know that they made Le Foo a homosexual though; I heard some rumor that there was a "gay scene" or something in the movie, but I didn't give it any merit at the time. That's unfortunate.
It has quite the star cast though; and beautiful music and CGI.

Unfortunately Melanie shared this *eyeroll*

IMG_1536.PNG

(Screenshot is mine)

16 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I actually have never heard of a Google plus account. Just how removed from reality am I? Is this a new thing? 

Google+ is desperate to worm its way into my online life and I've resisted.  I can't stand the thought of Google getting more up in my grille than it already is.  Google+ is also a way to organize your social media -- maybe competition for Facebook?  Any Google+ users who can explain this better?

The younger sister's google plus page paints a picture of a sad, lonely girl.  I can't imaging how stifling it must be to grow up in that family!  They've basically been locked in a cage for years!  

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Google+ is desperate to worm its way into my online life and I've resisted.  I can't stand the thought of Google getting more up in my grille than it already is.  Google+ is also a way to organize your social media -- maybe competition for Facebook?  Any Google+ users who can explain this better?

Google+ is what the youngsters are all using these days. Apparently fb is for old fogeys. You do not have to be 13 to make an account, so there are some much younger kids on there. I've been told it has a better group chat app, which is what  the kids do on social media. 

41 minutes ago, ActualReality said:

Haha! One of my girls posted this on FB. Maybe you have to have a bunch of teens/young adults living with you to understand the agony of going to get a cup of coffee only to find all 40 of your coffee cups are spread about the house and piled in kids bedrooms, LOL! And this didn't touch on the 100 glasses on the counter in the kitchen. Apparently one must get a new one every time you take a sip of water. 

I had no idea the kids were using Google+ these days. I remember it was a joke when it launched and nobody was using it. I do love that it's what Karen and Melanie use, though. Maybe they aren't quite so isolated, if they are using the same social networking as their peers.

It's interesting to see how much the oldest Shupe kids are using Google+. My students (high school students) all use Instagram. 

The thing that blew me away about Karen's page is how normal she seems. She's like a lot of other kids (young adults, I guess) her age, reposting memes, complaining about work, etc. Erika presents such a sanitized version of her kids and it's cool to see them being themselves. 

1 hour ago, ActualReality said:

OMG I know this meme but I never thought I'd live to see a day a fundie daughter shares it. Hahahaha! And the word hoe!

Btw, I wonder if Erika monitors the girls' internet access and activities or they're given a free hand at this age?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived