IGNORED

Family Living on Purpose (FLOP?): Erika Shupe pt. 10

December

Has anybody else noticed that her videos seem very odd.  They usually start off with her seeming like she's going to cry or that she just got done crying.  Then by the end she pulls herself together.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

No idea. It's like ee-ther or eye-ther likewise nee-ther or nigh-ther. I never know the difference. Like with spelt/spelled. Smelt/smelled. I'm sure there is some sort of difference although not sure what!

The pronounciation of ee-ther/eye-ther and nee-ther/nigh-ther just depend on where you're from. There's no right or wrong there. Same with "burned" vs. "burnt," both are correct. "Burnt" is more common in British English and "burned" is more common in American English. The same goes for spelled/spelt, smelled/smelt, etc. Although some of these -t endings are actually incorrect in American English at this point.

Ahhhhh. Thought it was something like just being a regional/country thing. 

3 hours ago, ActualReality said:

Has anybody else noticed that her videos seem very odd.  They usually start off with her seeming like she's going to cry or that she just got done crying.  Then by the end she pulls herself together.

I just watched the one video and at the beginning it really does seem like she is getting ready to discuss a tragedy. She didn't appear to enjoy doing the video at all. 

New post. The confusion deepens - the older children are doing high school and "earning their degrees" at home. I'm starting to picture a 'flowers in the attic' vibe for the older girls

9 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

New post. The confusion deepens - the older children are doing high school and "earning their degrees" at home. I'm starting to picture a 'flowers in the attic' vibe for the older girls

Maybe it's some kind of home dual enrolment thing, where they're doing some online degree course whilst finishing high school. Who knows. Erika's being pretty mysterious at the moment. 

It would have been best if the older girls went to public school when they were younger, but at this point it might not be best. If they are not able to test into grade appropriate classes getting a homeschool degree then going to community college for make up basic classes might be better then having to start at a freshmen level at their ages. It would explain Erica being cryptic even if she was willing to share the reasons the girls might want them kept private. 

As maddening as it is to keep wondering what happened with the Shupe family, I am glad, for the kids' sakes,  that Erika is being discreet. If all this involves anything that might embarrass her kids, she is right to stay quiet about the details. I have often thought that she was not real sensitive to her kids' feelings with the things she shares; so I do wonder if she is being more protective of herself than of them. 

I hope the two older girls realize that any educational struggles they have are completely the fault of their parents and not because of them. This is such a pivotal phase of life for them, I hate to think that they might have even more issues that chip away at their confidence. 

I have a stupid FB question. If you join their private group, can Bob and Erica see your private page?  

No, it wont, the admins of groups you are in, see exactly the same on your page as any other person who isn't on your friends list.

1 hour ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

No, it wont, the admins of groups you are in, see exactly the same on your page as any other person who isn't on your friends list.

Thank you. 

"New" post about "blessing with yes," which is my most hated post of hers. It's basically about how to say no while pretending to say yes which everybody loves!!!!!! And the strategy makes sense (yes you can eat that candy, but first you have to do your homework), but pretending like that is joyful for anyone is ridiculous. It just comes across like Erika is poking fun at how powerless her children are.

A long time ago, I read about someone who did this.  "Can I watch TV?"  "Yes, if it's one of our approved programs."

"Can I go outside?"  "Yes, when your homework is done."  

"Can I sleep with my boyfriend?"  "Yes, when you're married."

I never bothered with the "yes" part...I'd say "is your homework, chores, whatever done?" 

But...according to my kids I was the meanest bitch on the planet. 

18 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I never bothered with the "yes" part...I'd say "is your homework, chores, whatever done?" 

But...according to my kids I was the meanest bitch on the planet. 

I use that or just state, after homework. Or if it is really nice after a long stretch of crappy weather, I'll say "30 minutes then you need to come in and do homework" or if it is a chore I tell them yes and in 2 hours you will come and do your chores (I do that on the weekend when we have little to no plans and have time to have fun before chores.) 

My 2 older kids think I'm also a mean, mean mom.

I hate that blog post too. I think the real philosophy behind the say yes when you can is to evaluate what is really important. Say yes as often as you can to create a more relaxed and creative environment. Reserve No for when it's needed, not just as a reflex because you think something is "wrong". Like "can I wear this summer dress today (in winter)" what does it really matter? Natural consequences. If the child is cold they'll put on a sweater or choose something more appropriate next time. And when you mean No just say it. "Can I watch TV now?" No, you have to finish your home work.  I have a very good friend who rarely says yes to anything, she and her husband micromanaged their kids to the point where they are adults who are incapable of making decisions on their own. I've been out with her when her 18 yr old kid will call and ask if he can have a sandwich. Seriously. 

46 minutes ago, Anonymousguest said:

I've been out with her when her 18 yr old kid will call and ask if he can have a sandwich. Seriously. 

:wtsf:

Wow, talk about handicapping your* child. Let me guess, the kid can't cook or do laundry either. 

I feel bad for that kid. 

*("Your" general)

• 2 weeks later...

New post y'all! Well, from last week technically. This is all about breakfast ideas. The key is "bulky", i.e. stuff that'll keep your kids satiated till lunchtime. Ideas include scrambled eggs and toast, oatmeal/porridge/whatever you call it, Greek yogurt with granola, etc.

http://familylivingonpurpose.com/2017/02/school-breakfasts-planning-ahead-healthy-delicious-satiating-simple/

52 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

New post y'all! Well, from last week technically. This is all about breakfast ideas. The key is "bulky", i.e. stuff that'll keep your kids satiated till lunchtime. Ideas include scrambled eggs and toast, oatmeal/porridge/whatever you call it, Greek yogurt with granola, etc.

http://familylivingonpurpose.com/2017/02/school-breakfasts-planning-ahead-healthy-delicious-satiating-simple/

NO SHIT!!! Is she the first woman to EVER come up with that? I mean, I was feeding my brats oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits and shit like that almost 30 years ago!!!

What a mundane thing to write about.  

She wouldn't like my version of a weekday breakfast for the kids - pour cereal in bowl, cover with milk and sometimes fruit.  Alternatively, spread peanut butter or nutella on toast and sometimes put a sliced banana on top.  I'm not awake enough and don't have time/energy to get fancy in the morning.  This is my breakfast blog entry in its entirety.

Breakfast with Bonkers:

Weekdays are cold cereal with fruit or instant oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon (also fruit). Weekends are maybe pancakes or eggs. 

Where do I sign up for the 'mediocre mother of the year' award? :pb_biggrin:

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

NO SHIT!!! Is she the first woman to EVER come up with that? I mean, I was feeding my brats oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits and shit like that almost 30 years ago!!!

If I remember correctly she had her older kids on a very limited diet before, so I'm happy that she's posting, "hey feed your kids food that provides them with the nutrition they need to live." 

26 minutes ago, Pukingpearl said:

If I remember correctly she had her older kids on a very limited diet before, so I'm happy that she's posting, "hey feed your kids food that provides them with the nutrition they need to live." 

No breakfast salads? 

;-)

Erika seems to try to rebrand herself to some kind of organization expert, but so far everything she has published is super basic. I just don't see who her target audience will be.

She did have some pretty unique ideas when her brand was über Christian SAHM with ten kids in a tiny house, micromanaging every minute of the day, restricting the food and denying the kids any kind of normal life. I don't think that I have seen anything like the on the Internet before. That seemed to appeal to a certain group of women. 

Now that she is trying to reach a broader audience she has no clue what to write about and end up with the most basic stuff that most families already do, like serving eggs or granola for breakfast. I just don't see why parents will read her blog when there already are so many good blogs who have some really smart ideas and recipes and great photos to illustrate everything.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived