• Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
FundieFarmer

JRod 24: Precious Plexus Moments

606 posts in this topic

Jill mentioned in her latest pic fest that they are heading to Florida on January 26. Does she mention it in their latest update/itinerary? I can't open the images on my computer. Just curious, because I live in Florida. If they are traveling near me, I'll keep my eyes open for a Rod sighting. 

I too do not understand why she can't rotate the images so they're not sideways or upside down. 

Also, Jill does realize that Laura Ingalls Wilder was a working woman? I mean, Laura wrote for the local paper. Laura farmed alongside her husband. She taught school when she was younger.  Laura was hardly a submissive Proverbs 31 wife.  Laura's daughter, Rose, also had a career as a journalist. 

The pic of Sophia in that box...WTF??? It was not funny at all. 

As for David, he looks SEVERELY and INTENSELY unhappy in every pic.  In their wedding video, he looked so full of life. I wonder what he would have done with his life if he had not married Jill.  He may have been a doofus, but he was full of life.

I'm trying to figure out what the benefit is for Ben Vance to travel with the Rods. At least he is not in EVERY pic, so maybe he has a job and only travels with them on his days off. 

ETA: the Proverbs 31 wife was hardly submissive. But fundies seem to argue that she was. 

Edited by freealljs
not all believe that the Proverbs 31 wife was submissive.
14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first, and likely only, time I am jealous of Jill. I would die to go to Laura Ingalls Wilder's Rocky Ridge Farm. That be her home in DeSmet are on my bucket list. I have been obsessed with her books since I was a kid. I still read them now. Little House is my jam.

I highly doubt anyone in that family has the Little House books. Ma and Pa wanted their daughters to have an education and Ma wants her daughter to be a teacher, Laura works, spends time alone with Almanzo and is fiercely independent. It's like telling kids to be drunken heathens while shooting up heroin in the fundy world. Those books are not fundy appropriate after the second book. I don't know why their visit bothers me so much. I just know they can't and won't appreciate How lucky they are to have been there. 

In other Jill blogging oddness, she always seems so focused on the fact that someone has lost a child. This isn't the first time she wrote about David's sister's loss. Is she going to bring it up every time she is mentioned? It's as though she is saying sis-in-law is 0 for 3 in babies while Jill has 11 or 12 or however many she has. 

20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, socalrules said:

In other Jill blogging oddness, she always seems so focused on the fact that someone has lost a child. This isn't the first time she wrote about David's sister's loss. Is she going to bring it up every time she is mentioned? It's as though she is saying sis-in-law is 0 for 3 in babies while Jill has 11 or 12 or however many she has. 

I'm not sure what's going on with that either.  Jill has let us know that she had five *severe* miscarriages, but I can't figure out if she's maybe keeping score (why?) or just trying to acknowledge wanted children who didn't happen to make it.  I hope her sister-in-law doesn't find the post disturbing.  I certainly would.

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It boggles my mind that Jill's extended family doesn't pitch a fit about her insensitive social media. How heartless and callous to air her SiL's miscarriages so widely. 

Quote

I highly doubt anyone in that family has the Little House books. Ma and Pa wanted their daughters to have an education and Ma wants her daughter to be a teacher, Laura works, spends time alone with Almanzo and is fiercely independent. It's like telling kids to be drunken heathens while shooting up heroin in the fundy world. Those books are not fundy appropriate after the second book.

You'd think so, but as lazy as Jill seems to be about her children's educations, it's entirely possible that she has no idea what the content of the books are. My fundy family had all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, some of her daughter's series, and the Anne of Green Gables series, and Anne is not even remotely a fundy-esque character. 

 

14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes you just learn to tune out the crazy of certain family members. The more you complain the more they play the persecution card. People like Jill have no boundaries.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's too bad some of the kids couldn't stay back at home with gma and gpa and maybe get some stability/ schooling instead of schlepping around in the tin can of hairspray that is the Rodrigues RV:/

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2017 at 0:27 PM, pancakes said:

As a mom of eight let me pipe in and say that while I do feel grocery shopping is a life skill my kids rarely go with me.

Agree completely. I have 5 kids and an exchange student, and I'd rather eat my own arm than take all of them with me to the store. My poor kids would hate it if that was their special mom time, because all of it would be spent telling them not to put random crap in the cart.

Side note: Today I did the big monthly shopping trip, and our exchange student opened up the back of my car to help unload. She said, "I have never seen this much food in one car before." :D

I keep getting phishing warnings from my security program whenever there's a link to the Rod fam site. Says not to trust the site. Duly noted!

Edited by SoybeanQueen
Add info
18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read about the ATV accident that Jill posted about. It is very tragic and it sounds like very preventable. They were in one of those ATVs that have seats and seatbelts. They were riding on the shoulder of a highway. They weren't buckled up and it sounds like they weren't wearing helmets. The teen who died did so because she banged her head against one of the bars of the ATV. 

I know people love ATVs, but put on helmets and if there are seatbelts, put them on. There was a child in died in NC a couple of months ago because he didn't have a helmet on. 

 

I rather doubt that they have read the books. I think it is more likely they have watched some of the episodes from the show. Many of the earlier ones were pretty fundie approved. I wouldn't be surprised if Jill grew up watching them. She loved the Andy Griffith Show. 

10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I read about the ATV accident that Jill posted about. It is very tragic and it sounds like very preventable. They were in one of those ATVs that have seats and seatbelts. They were riding on the shoulder of a highway. They weren't buckled up and it sounds like they weren't wearing helmets. The teen who died did so because she banged her head against one of the bars of the ATV. 

I know people love ATVs, but put on helmets and if there are seatbelts, put them on. There was a child in died in NC a couple of months ago because he didn't have a helmet on. 

Okay, I clearly know NOTHING about ATVs, because I had some vague idea that they were only driven in the wilderness or something. People drive them on highways? What on earth?

And WTF??? Is there NOTHING that would make Jill and David start giving some serious thought to auto safety? I really just want to cry for their poor kids sometimes. And for that poor girl who died in the accident. :( Stop being so reckless, you nutjobs! If you revere human life so much then fucking show it sometime.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the one hand, I don't understand how Jill can think Laura Ingalls is a good role model - after all, she worked from as soon as she was old enough too (and was living out of the home at a very young age in real life, younger even than she was in the books, as a servant/companion), and carried on working for a living, both alongside Almanzo and in jobs outside the home as a seamstress and then in, as a writer for a local newspaper, and then, of course, the books.  

On the other hand... she did get married VERY young, and Pa Ingalls' urges to always be on the move, and not actually being very good at business meant the family were so often lurching from crisis to crisis, and running out of money (at one point, they skipped town in the middle of the night because they didn't have the money to pay their rent AND be able to move - an incident Laura wrote about in her autobiography, but not the Little House books). 

So I can definitely see the parallels for the kids - father not being able to support the family, always moving, having to work for a living (singing in the Rods' case) and being pathetically grateful for hand-me-downs and the occasional sweets.  Though Ma Ingalls definitely gave her girls a better education, despite the fact they had to miss so much school.

(I'm currently reading Pioneer Girl, the Annotated Autobiography of LIW, and it's fascinating.  I really recommend it - it's super-interesting, charting how her original autobiography morphed into the Little House books, and the annotations are amazing, with loads of photos, contextual info about the family and all the people they encountered.  It's rich and dense, and wonderful - and it's also interesting seeing the role of Rose Wilder Lane in getting the books published, and how she definitely upped the idealisation of Pa in the children's books)

ETA It's expensive, as it's a big hardback, but I bet libraries will order it, and it may show up second hand.  I dip in and out of it, and love it every time.

 

On another topic, it looks like Olivia is in way-too-big shoes again, at the Duggar wedding.  Her poor feet!  I guess that's one way to stop a little girl from running around, though.

Edited by Lurky
17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

Okay, I clearly know NOTHING about ATVs, because I had some vague idea that they were only driven in the wilderness or something. People drive them on highways? What on earth?

You aren't supposed to. They were driving something like this:

teryx.png

I've ridden in these before and they drive like a car, but are not made for roads.  They have seatbelts like regular cars, but you still need a helmet. The other two teen girls who were in it are also in pretty bad condition. These sorts of accidents are preventable. 

 

Edited by formergothardite
5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Coy Koi said:

Okay, I clearly know NOTHING about ATVs, because I had some vague idea that they were only driven in the wilderness or something. People drive them on highways? What on earth?

And WTF??? Is there NOTHING that would make Jill and David start giving some serious thought to auto safety? I really just want to cry for their poor kids sometimes. And for that poor girl who died in the accident. :( Stop being so reckless, you nutjobs! If you revere human life so much then fucking show it sometime.

I've seen people driving ATVs on the main road. I live in a city that's a bit larger than the state capital, so it's not like I'm in some rual area. Donno if it's legal... but I've done stupid stuff like riding an ebike with no lights, and driven right alongside the cops, and zero fucks were given.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting  more and more convinced that this Ben Vance person is in it for one of the girls. I mean yes he seems too old and  nurie or even kaylee (please no) seem too young, but what else would he be there for? 

I mean even if you are a fundie you still recognize that there is not much admirable about the rodrigues clan. It's not like they are fundie royalty like the Bates or Duggars, they don't have a large following or money. They are also not the smartest bunch, so he couldn't be attracted to their doctrine, since i don't think that is very different from "mainstream-fundie-theology" (if there is such a thing).

I think he is interested in one of the girls and even jill and David realized they are too young/he is too old, so they probably wanted to take him along for a while so they can check him out. This is also why Jill keeps unusually quiet about him. She always makes inappropriate social media statements, so if there was nothing going on i would expect little jokes about him and the girls or something. Also: Before Ben was introduced (also still  the very first post he appeared  in) the photo updates were signed "The Rodrigues Family",  but the latest update was signed "The Rodrigues Family  (David, Jill, Nurie, Timothy, Kaylee, Renee, Phillip, Samuel,   Gabriel, Tessie, Hannah, Olivia, Sadie, Sofia)", which seems odd. It could of course be a coincidence .... or she wants to make it clear that ben vance is not (YET) a part of the family :D I mean its a bit far fetched I know, but i have work off today and am bored, so i am speculating instead.

I just feel like him being interested in one of the girls is the most natural explanation for his accompaniment of the family.

TL;DR: I think Ben Vance is in a secret (pre-?)courtship with one of the girls, even though there is no proof.

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, socalrules said:

This is the first, and likely only, time I am jealous of Jill. I would die to go to Laura Ingalls Wilder's Rocky Ridge Farm. That be her home in DeSmet are on my bucket list. I have been obsessed with her books since I was a kid. I still read them now. Little House is my jam.

I highly doubt anyone in that family has the Little House books. Ma and Pa wanted their daughters to have an education and Ma wants her daughter to be a teacher, Laura works, spends time alone with Almanzo and is fiercely independent. It's like telling kids to be drunken heathens while shooting up heroin in the fundy world. Those books are not fundy appropriate after the second book. I don't know why their visit bothers me so much. I just know they can't and won't appreciate How lucky they are to have been there. 

In other Jill blogging oddness, she always seems so focused on the fact that someone has lost a child. This isn't the first time she wrote about David's sister's loss. Is she going to bring it up every time she is mentioned? It's as though she is saying sis-in-law is 0 for 3 in babies while Jill has 11 or 12 or however many she has. 

I took myself on a Laura Ingalls Wilder tour last summer.  Pepin, WI; Burr Oak, IA; Walnut Grove, MN; and DeSmet, SD.  I **loved** it.  I'm going to the MO and KS sites this summer. 

I came across several fundies on my trip.  I actually spent several hours with a Mennonite family (by coincidence, not design.)  Naturally, there were far more people in shorts and jeans than long skirts and head coverings, but the fundie set certainly loves the pioneers.

I've read somewhere here that some of the stricter fundies only allow kids to read LIW's first book, Little House in the Big Woods.  Anyone know about this?

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

And WTF??? Is there NOTHING that would make Jill and David start giving some serious thought to auto safety? I really just want to cry for their poor kids sometimes. And for that poor girl who died in the accident. :( Stop being so reckless, you nutjobs! If you revere human life so much then fucking show it sometime.

If what happened to Amy didn't get them really concerned about auto safety, then I don't know what would.  Do they believe that the accident happened because Jesus let it?  Is it considered a test of faith or opportunity for others to serve?

I also wonder whether they require the carriers of embryos and fetuses to wear seat belts.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that there is something going on with Ben Vance. Possibly an under the radar courtship that won't come to the blogging sphere until the girl turns 18.

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How old is Nurie? And that Sophia box picture is an accident waiting to happen... how are these fundie kids in one piece?

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, socalrules said:

In other Jill blogging oddness, she always seems so focused on the fact that someone has lost a child. This isn't the first time she wrote about David's sister's loss. Is she going to bring it up every time she is mentioned?

Let's see. Does she mention that her sister Amy is severely disabled every time she mentions her?

Aaaaand there's your answer.

9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How old is Nurie? And that Sophia box picture is an accident waiting to happen... how are these fundie kids in one piece?

17, I believe.
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SoybeanQueen said:

Side note: Today I did the big monthly shopping trip, and our exchange student opened up the back of my car to help unload. She said, "I have never seen this much food in one car before." :D

Lol! What is it with kids from normal sized families and their fascination with big family food shopping? The last time I did a big stock up trip my older kids were texting half the neighborhood so there were all these kids waiting to see the food. There were 25 and 50lb bags of rice, popcorn, sugar, oatmeal plus a bushel of apples and cases of salmon and chicken along with regular weekly stuff like half a dozen big boxes of cereal. It was a lot of food but not the jaw dropping quantities they were making it out to be.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HeadshipRegent said:

And that Sophia box picture is an accident waiting to happen... how are these fundie kids in one piece?

After my initial "WTF? How dangerous" reaction to that photo, all I could think of was baby Jessica McClure trapped in the backyard well in Texas, 1987. Jill and David have about as much intellect as baby Jessica's teen parents, though Chip and Sissy McClure were clearly distraught and cared about their little girl. In the same situation Jill would probably be doing a Facebook live broadcast, fully made up and big SMILE on her face, while David stood by the well and shouted down, "Tessie, Nurie, Kaylee, er, Olivia, whoever you are down there, come up for family prayer time". (Based on the video of him at the beach with the little girls who were eating sand, he couldn't remember their ages to save his life). 

I'll see myself to the prayer closet now. 

Edited by HumbleJillyMuffin
13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

After my initial "WTF? How dangerous" reaction to that photo, all I could think of was baby Jessica McClure trapped in the backyard well in Texas, 1987. Jill and David have about as much intellect as baby Jessica's teen parents, though Chip and Sissy McClure were clearly distraught and cared about their little girl. In the same situation Jill would probably be doing a Facebook live broadcast, fully made up and big SMILE on her face, while David stood by the well and shouted down, "Tessie, Nurie, Kaylee, er, Olivia, whoever you are down there, come up for family prayer time". (Based on the video of him at the beach with the little girls who were eating sand, he couldn't remember their ages to save his life). 

I'll see myself to the prayer closet now. 

ITA.  Just like her hero, Michelle DUGGAR, (oh, boy, DUGGAR!) got out her iPhone to video her son's fall into an orchestra pit, Jill would give us full coverage. 

11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Ben Vance is helping to fund their travels. He obviously doesn't have a job but maybe has money from the state or a settlement from a lawsuit. I don't get his purpose on their travels. Does he stay with them at the house as well? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole Ben Vance connection really freaks me out!  I wish Jill would be more honest about what he's doing there, because in the silence, I can only think bad thoughts.  Does he have social media we could track down? 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jill's at it again on FB toting the miracles of Plexus. With Plexus, you can eat as much sugar as you want bc it stops your body from absorbing it! 

Seriously someone needs to report her to somewhere for false advertising. 

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.