IGNORED

Tori Bates' courtship- Part 3 Now Engaged - September 2017

samurai_sarah

On 2/11/2017 at 1:29 PM, Tangy Bee said:

Dang...I'm disappointed. Was so sure that was a forehead kiss. Will someone kiss on the forehead PLEASE! Which culture is it that rubs their noses together to show affection? I forgot.

New Zealand. Maori culture.

Edit: Sorry -didn't see your post @Karma -just got so excited that I actually knew the answer to a question!

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched the "courtship proposal." I think that Kelly encourages the men to do these all out proposals. 

Anyways, I really like Bobby. He and Tori have some major tension and seems like great chemistry. You can tell he wasn't raised nearly as hardcore as Tori.

Funniest part:

Bates girl: Leave some room for the holy spirit

Tori: He's in both of our hearts.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, melon said:

Torino makes me think of a car.

My first thought is Gran Torino, a great film directed by Clint Eastwood. :)

57 minutes ago, melon said:

Yes!Isn't a Gran Torino a classic car?

It is :)

e34eaaa8aca92a1fb42008eb4e273a97.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

Bobby was featured in a PCC video about the Youth Ministry degree. After reading all of the horrifying stories about that school, I always get the skeeves.

10 hours ago, JoyfulSel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bobby was featured in a PCC video about the Youth Ministry degree. After reading all of the horrifying stories about that school, I always get the skeeves.

Is this school like Crown or worse? I know some people who attend Liberty are "hipster" fundies. Is PCC hardcore, skirts only? Are they accredited?

Here is a Cracked article about PCC.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1688-5-awful-realities-fundamentalist-christian-college.html

Would you be OK with taking a pregnancy test to prove your innocence?" That's verbatim what they said, as if pregnancy was a crime.

You had a student ID card that you had to scan to sign out, after which you selected from a touchscreen a preapproved list of locations you intended to visit," Lilith says. "Everyone in your party had to scan out and choose the same locations, because you had to travel in groups. If you were anything less than a senior, you had to travel with at least three other girls, depending on where you were going." (Note: Boys could travel in smaller groups, for reasons that are probably in the Old Testament somewhere.)

She could also go to the beach, but the boys and girls had separate designated beaches that were miles apart, lest anyone be driven wild with lust. After all, how can anyone handle bathing suits when ...

Every girl at the school inevitably ended up wearing the "PCC uniform," which was khaki skirts, blue polo shirts, brown loafers, and always, every day except Saturday, pantyhose

Boys had to wear collared, button-up shirts and ties before chapel in the morning (though they could take their ties off in the afternoon) and blazers or dinner jackets to dinner

former student Samantha Field, who was sexually assaulted and then told later that she needed to repent.

Only men were allowed to work off-campus, which sucked because the pay and hours were usually a lot better

I think they might be accredited now, but weren't for a very long time. Anyway, Bobby isn't any less fundie than the Bates, he is just a different version of crazy fundie. He interned at a super fundie church too. 

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Here is a Cracked article about PCC.

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1688-5-awful-realities-fundamentalist-christian-college.html

I think they might be accredited now, but weren't for a very long time. Anyway, Bobby isn't any less fundie than the Bates, he is just a different version of crazy fundie. He interned at a super fundie church too. 

Dang...another BIG disappointment for someone different. Well at least Tori appears to adore him. Looks like another Bates chic is moving to FL.

The Bates, like the Duggars, aren't going to allow anyone too different to marry their daughters. The guy might be a different version of fundie, but that version will be just as crazy as the Bates version. 

What's been really interesting throughout my time at FJ is learning about some people I know in real life and trying to figure them out. I live in NJ, so not quite as fundie central as in perhaps the south. However, my best friend was home schooled between 3rd grade and then joined public high school. Their family identifies as non denominational Christians and she wore a purity ring until she was about 20. They participated in home school co-ops (my friends mom could do literature, math and history, but not science, so I guess another mom taught all the kids science in their community, and also met for gym class). My friend and her younger brother made the decision to go to public high school, which was fully supported by her parents. Throughout high school she had boyfriends and dated and could always come out. I'm Jewish, and the family has always embraced me as one of their own (I still call her mom my second mama). My friend decided to go to Gordon College near Boston for her freshman year. There were definitely dorm restrictions by gender (not past a certain time, if there was a male in a female room the door had to be open), mandatory church, and limited dining hours (dinner between only 5-7 daily). I actually visited her there once. It seemed like 50% of the kids there had Christian values, but also liked to party a lot and there were off campus parties. The other 50% were very conservative, with some kids seemingly living their lives like a role playing game and went around campus in cloaks and stuff. Many girls thought they were going to meet their husbands there. My friend had a friend who got pregnant there, but I don't believe she got kicked out or anything. My friend left after her freshman year to attend a more secular school.

A guy I met through my best friend in high school stayed home schooled throughout high school (I think he loved it because he would snowboard or surf whenever he wanted). We ended up dating on and off throughout high school (his mom definitely did not approve). He ended up at Palm Beach Atlantic in West Palm, also a Christian college. It seems less rigid by far than PCC definitely- I don't know the rules (except recently I looked up their student handbook and was pretty horrified), but he was able to live off campus after his freshman year. I would see him for lunch or coffee when I'd go down to Florida yearly to see my family. And then once we were both 21 we went out together in West Palm. I learned that this boy, who once shamed me for getting so drunk and ending up in a scary situation, now drank like a fish and also smoked weed.

Sorry for the long stories. It's just so interesting to me that these schools, which seemed so conservative to me with their restrictions on student life, are actually probably too liberal for the fundies we talk about here (well, the ones that are actually allowed to go to college). 

Maybe it's just the evil heathen in me, or maybe I'm just a Negative Nancy, but when I read about these ridiculous schools and their restrictions, I immediately have the reaction of, "I will schadenfreude the hell out of this place the moment the first article appears in the news about their president getting caught doing meth with a prostitute."  I always expect these places to ultimately get caught up in some sort of hypocritical scandal.  

30 minutes ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

Maybe it's just the evil heathen in me, or maybe I'm just a Negative Nancy, but when I read about these ridiculous schools and their restrictions, I immediately have the reaction of, "I will schadenfreude the hell out of this place the moment the first article appears in the news about their president getting caught doing meth with a prostitute."  I always expect these places to ultimately get caught up in some sort of hypocritical scandal.  

They might as well stay home because it looks like even the school is all up in their business 24/7.

http://samanthapfield.com/2015/04/13/5-good-reasons-not-to-attend-pensacola-christian-college/

Here is another article written by Samantha Field (I believe the sexual assault survivor referenced in the previous link) on the academic side of PCC. Her thoughts fall in well with FJ. According to her "About Me" on her website,

I grew up in a Christian fundamentalist cult, but escaped as a young adult. Now, I write about being a bisexual woman and abuse survivor, exploring intersectional feminism and liberation theology.

Also, what is Bobby's major? I was excited by the fact that he was at least going to a college, but PCC seems even more terrible in all dimensions than I imagined, and his job prospects seem minimal based on PCC's educational standards. Though I guess in their world it's fine.

He interned as some sort of youth pastor, so I'm guessing he is studying to be a type of pastor. 

I think it was mentioned a while back that he wants to be a youth pastor. I think PCC offers some kind of degree or concentration in that. A lot of Christian colleges offer some variant of youth ministry as a major, which is unfortunate, given how bad the job market is for youth pastors. Most of those positions are part-time with minimal to nonexistent compensation-- my dad does it as a volunteer. His church used to have a paid youth minister, but over the past twenty years or so, the size of the congregation (and the youth group) have shrunk to the point where the church couldn't afford to keep the position paid. I think they only have about 10-15 kids every week. If that.

I imagine that trend will continue, as the US becomes increasingly secular. 

11 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Anyway, Bobby isn't any less fundie than the Bates, he is just a different version of crazy fundie.

What are the differences between PCC and Crown versions of fundamentalism? I actually mistakenly thought Bobby went to Crown and was the same brand of fundie as the Bates, so I'm curious (though it obviously makes little difference in the world at large given the nastiness of any of these beliefs).

On 31.3.2017 at 3:04 PM, formergothardite said:

The Bates, like the Duggars, aren't going to allow anyone too different to marry their daughters. The guy might be a different version of fundie, but that version will be just as crazy as the Bates version. 

And they will make sure or at least try to convince their son-in-laws that their version of fundie is the best.

You know what else scares me about PCC? That their nursing program is fully accredited; they can even sit for NCLEX and everything, and yet, this is the description of the program: 

The purpose of the nursing major is for the students to learn to apply both scriptural and scientific methods to nursing services rendered to individuals, families, and communities. The accomplishment of this dual goal encompasses biblical concepts about the relationships between God and man, man and fellow man, and man and the physical universe.

Learning Outcomes:

• make moral and ethical decisions based upon legal standards and biblical principles;

So obviously no treating any heathens, not supporting unwed mothers through pregnancy or allowing any choice in women's reproductive rights. No treating the LGBTQ community. 

What kind of nurse is that? 

6 hours ago, Casserole said:

You know what else scares me about PCC? That their nursing program is fully accredited; they can even sit for NCLEX and everything, and yet, this is the description of the program: 

So obviously no treating any heathens, not supporting unwed mothers through pregnancy or allowing any choice in women's reproductive rights. No treating the LGBTQ community. 

What kind of nurse is that? 

A nurse who won't be able to find a job. Or maybe to just use it for "family" so they won't have to be treated at an evil hospital.

Ok so I was reading on Libby Anne's blog. Came across one of the rules of PCC. It says no "physical contact" between students on and off campus. So we know they mean sex. But what about hugging, touching, and holding hands?? Bobby and Tori have been touchy feely for a while now. And its ALL on tv. Wonder what the Dean has to say about that. Guess Bobby gets a pass because he's a senior and Tori is a famous fundie. 

On 3/31/2017 at 7:29 PM, albireo said:

What are the differences between PCC and Crown versions of fundamentalism? I actually mistakenly thought Bobby went to Crown and was the same brand of fundie as the Bates, so I'm curious (though it obviously makes little difference in the world at large given the nastiness of any of these beliefs).

Mainly that Crown is IFBx and PCC is non-denominational. TMK, Crown is KJV-only, skirts only, requires weekly door-to-door soulwinning. PCC allows other Bible versions in the dorms (IIRCC) though KJV is the official version used in the church and classroom. Girls are allowed to wear shorts/pants in some situations. I think participation in a ministry is required for a certain number of semesters but it isn't as many ministries as can be managed the entire time that you are in school. I think that most would not see a big difference but in the fundie world my siblings don't want my oldest nibling to go to PCC because it is "too liberal", but would probably be fine with Crown.

18 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

A nurse who won't be able to find a job. Or maybe to just use it for "family" so they won't have to be treated at an evil hospital.

Ok so I was reading on Libby Anne's blog. Came across one of the rules of PCC. It says no "physical contact" between students on and off campus. So we know they mean sex. But what about hugging, touching, and holding hands?? Bobby and Tori have been touchy feely for a while now. And its ALL on tv. Wonder what the Dean has to say about that. Guess Bobby gets a pass because he's a senior and Tori is a famous fundie. 

Tori and Bobby cuddling would not be physical contact between students. She is not a student, right? 

I'm sure an exception can be made for famous (z-list though they may be) fundie royalty.

4 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Tori and Bobby cuddling would not be physical contact between students. She is not a student, right? 

But it said "on and off" campus. And he is off campus when he is with her. Justing saying

4 hours ago, Kelsey said:

To most fundies cuddling is physical. If not, why do some wait to hold hands, kiss, or front hug?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived