IGNORED

If you support Public Education - please vote no on Betsy Devos

quiversR4hunting

I wish I could run against Fischer. I may have my share of scandals, but I'd rather listen to constituents. However, I am regrettably not a millionaire. :(

kleeb is dummmmmmmb

• Upvote 3

Reply from Thom Tillis.

Although I do not agree with all of her policy proposals, I have spoken to Secretary DeVos at-length, and I am confident that she will be a champion for students, parents, teachers and administrators. She has personally told me that she supports the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and understands her responsibility to provide public school systems with the support and resources they need to ensure that all students receive a quality education.

Please be assured that I will hold Secretary DeVos and the Department of Education accountable to the highest standards. As the Secretary assumes her new role, I am confident the Department will work closely with stakeholders in North Carolina to ensure students receive the educational opportunity they deserve.

Why the hell should I feel assured that he will hold her accountable?! And clearly she didn't understand IDEA. This was a reply to my many "I have a special needs child in public school and a vote for DeVos is a vote against the students of NC." emails. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Reply from Thom Tillis.

Why the hell should I feel assured that he will hold her accountable?! And clearly she didn't understand IDEA. This was a reply to my many "I have a special needs child in public school and a vote for DeVos is a vote against the students of NC." emails. 

So he expects you to feel reassured that the very same Congress who hasn't held the president accountable for ANY of the crappy things he's done so far - including things as heinous as his connections to Russia and his attempts to turn this country into a dictatorship - are going to magically grow a spine and hold DeVos accountable. I call bullshit on that one. 

• Upvote 14

Whah-whah-whaaaaaa, sooooooo unfair... boo-hoo-hoo.... 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-ivanka-nordstrom-twitter-father-daughter-a7569706.html

Donald Trump says daughter Ivanka 'treated so unfairly' by Nordstrom for dropping her fashion brand.

• Upvote 4

Ok ya'll since you don't have to have experience for President or Congress, then ban degrees. Hire people with no medical knowledge and med school to perform surgery. 

It makes me sick she paid people off. This should be illegal. It's fucking sad they care all about money. 

22 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

Oh, look at that. My hypocritical piece of shit senator is right at the top of the list. I'm SOOOOO shocked. 

Florida. My son wanted to go there. Sorry. I said hell no. 

• Upvote 7

57 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

So he expects you to feel reassured that the very same Congress who hasn't held the president accountable for ANY of the crappy things he's done so far - including things as heinous as his connections to Russia and his attempts to turn this country into a dictatorship - are going to magically grow a spine and hold DeVos accountable. I call bullshit on that one. 

I sent another email quoting that line about being assured he would hold her accountable, listed all the terrible things he has ignored and asked why I should think he will suddenly start doing the right thing. Not sure they will answer that one. 

• Upvote 14

I didn't see this here yet. Apologies if it's a repeat!

Let's just completely dismantle the Dept. of Education.

http://-After-confirmation-GOP-Congressman-filed-legislation-showing-the-real-reason-they-backed-DeVos

Asked whether Christian schools should continue to rely on giving—rather than pushing for taxpayer money through vouchers—Betsy DeVos replied, "There are not enough philanthropic dollars in America to fund what is currently the need in education...Our desire is to confront the culture in ways that will continue to advance God's kingdom."

Added Dick DeVos: "As we look at many communities in our country, the church has been displaced by the public school as the center for activity...t is certainly our hope that more and more churches will get more and more active and engaged in education."

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, VixenToast said:

I wish I could run against Fischer. I may have my share of scandals, but I'd rather listen to constituents. However, I am regrettably not a millionaire. :(

kleeb is dummmmmmmb

I am guessing that no one will mount a serious well-funded campaign and we will see more of Jane than the candidate. 

I could tell you a lot of dirt on Jane. A relative of mine worked for Scott's congressional campaign shortly before he married her, then worked for her for a short time when she was working for SEIU on health care policy. My relative got the hell out because she is impossible. If you want the dirt, PM me. 

Well, it seems that there's proof she really did say it:

https://www.indy100.com/article/betsy-devos-education-secretary-historical-quote-fact-check-7568851

According to The New Yorker, The Washington Post and the Centre for Public Integrity (as reported by ABC News),   Betsy DeVos was "brutally candid" about her views on money in politics in a 1997 op-ed she wrote for the Capitol Hill Newspaper Roll Call. 

The full quote, sourced from CPI, reads:

[M]y family is the largest single contributor of soft money to the national Republican party…. I have decided, however, to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence.

Now, I simply concede the point. We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues.

We expect a return on our investment; we expect a good and honest government. Furthermore, we expect the Republican party to use the money to promote these policies, and yes, to win elections.

The New Yorker report that DeVos added:

“People like us must surely be stopped.”

• Upvote 6

Christine Baranski (Leonard's mother on The Big Bang Theory and Diane Lockhart on the Good Wife) is offering to play DeVos on SNL. As horrified as I am by DeVos, this news made me smile today.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dear-snl-please-let-christine-baranski-play-education-secretary-betsy-devos_us_589dbf70e4b03df370d577f0

• Upvote 11

Protesters greeted Betsy DeVos when she tried to stop at a middle school in DC.

"What we found out is that a lot parents actually did not know Betsy DeVos was going to come," he says. "And they were concerned their children would be used as props for a photo op."

"Our primary goal was to cancel the meeting and to let Betsy DeVos know that she is not welcome in Ward 6," he says.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, GreyhoundFan said:

Get lost Betsy. How condescending of you to think so low of the children and their parents to think they would buy you using children as props. Shows just how fucking clueless she is. Don't let the door hit you in your millionaire ass on the way out.

• Upvote 7

I had sent an email to my Senators at the start of this whole mess and actually got a reply yesterday. I know it's a canned response, but it is nice to know that the emails we send get read by someone!

Dear ...:

Thank you for writing to express your opposition to Betsy DeVos’s nomination to become Secretary of Education. I agree that Mrs. DeVos’s qualifications and beliefs regarding American public education seriously put into question her ability to lead the Department of Education.

As you are aware, Mrs. DeVos’s ideological preference for voucher programs without the necessary oversight would have serious implications for the strength of our public schools. The detrimental effects on public schools from the poor regulation of voucher schools can be seen in a state like Michigan, where Mrs. DeVos advocated against stronger oversight of voucher schools. When Detroit school advocates pushed for the formation of a commission to better coordinate the creation of charter schools with the needs and resources of local public schools, Betsy DeVos and her family spent $1.45 million to successfully oppose the commission altogether.

I also have questions regarding Mrs. DeVos’s commitment to key educational programs such as Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) funding. During Mrs. DeVos’s Senate confirmation hearing, she demonstrated a clear lack of awareness of the federal role in IDEA funding. As so many American students are dependent on the support of IDEA funding, it is critical that the leader of the Department of Education to understand the importance of the federal role. That is why I voted against Mrs. DeVos’s appointment to Secretary of Education.

Unfortunately, my colleagues on the other side of the aisle voted to confirm her nomination. However, I will keep a close eye on her actions and I will vigorously defend America’s public school system. 

Again, thank you for contacting me.  Please keep in touch with your thoughts and opinions.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer

United States Senator

• Upvote 6

This is priceless: "DeVos’s Education Department misspells name of NAACP co-founder in tweet — and the apology had a mistake" Some interesting parts:

It’s not just the White House that seems to have a problem with spelling. Someone at the U.S. Education Department, now led by Secretary Betsy DeVos, does, too.

At 8:45 on Sunday morning, the department’s official Twitter account misspelled the name of W.E.B. Du Bois, a black sociologist, historian, civil rights activist and co-founder of the NAACP, the oldest civil rights organization in the United States. Du Bois was misspelled as DeBois — an error that might be understandable from a young student, but the U.S. Education Department?

Hours after the tweet was posted — and after the error was lampooned by a number of people on Twitter, it was corrected, with an apology:

Post updated – our deepest apologizes for the earlier typo. — US Dept of Education (@usedgov) February 12, 2017

The department fixed that tweet quickly, changing “apologizes” for “apologies.”

The article is worth a look, especially for some of the replies. It's a scary sign that the powers-that-be in the Education Department don't know the basics.

• Upvote 7

I think this is fitting on may political forums right now. And @Buzzard maybe this could replace your black mourning box. 

Screenshot_20170214-164919.jpg

• Upvote 13

16 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I think this is fitting on may political forums right now. And @Buzzard maybe this could replace your black mourning box. 

Screenshot_20170214-164919.jpg

I was actually looking at the cowboy from this week's "last week tonight"... but I'm definitely still in mourning (for now)

• Upvote 7

54 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I was actually looking at the cowboy from this week's "last week tonight"... but I'm definitely still in mourning (for now)

THAT. IS. GREAT!!!

thank you for sharing!

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

A RW cartoonist did this cartoon comparing DeVos to Ruby Bridges since DeVos was protested out of that visit in the public school and I am so disgusted.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/betsy-devos-ruby-bridges_us_58a376bce4b0ab2d2b19f3be

OMG, that is just so disgusting. As if there is any comparison.

• Upvote 6

44 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

OMG, that is just so disgusting. As if there is any comparison.

The Reich Wing likes to pretend they're this prosecuted minority, all because they can't discriminate however they please anymore, and force their views and religious beliefs down everyone else's throat.

It's disgusting. 

• Upvote 6