IGNORED

Douglas Wilson Rejects the Federal Vision, Shocks Followers

DomWackTroll

Honestly, I think he was just wanted more attention. But then, that's my impression of most of what I've read from him. The rest is victim-blaming and the other nastiness he spews when trying to justify his coddling of pedophiles and other heinous acts.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leave it to human nature. 

Only humans could take the simplest belief system ("We are bad to each other, but God offers us forgiveness; believing this, and in gratitude for this, we will want to be good to each other") ...

... and muck it up with shortcuts, which create the need for correction, which gives rise to questioning, which produces answering --  some of which is over- or under-thought -- which then turns to conflict which ... well.  You know.

Theologians -- good ones and bad ones -- arise because human nature can't grasp the idea of "be good to each other."  

I may be oversimplifying but I'm so tired of the results of overcomplicating!

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

Leave it to human nature. 

Only humans could take the simplest belief system ("We are bad to each other, but God offers us forgiveness; believing this, and in gratitude for this, we will want to be good to each other") ...

... and muck it up with shortcuts, which create the need for correction, which gives rise to questioning, which produces answering --  some of which is over- or under-thought -- which then turns to conflict which ... well.  You know.

Theologians -- good ones and bad ones -- arise because human nature can't grasp the idea of "be good to each other."  

I may be oversimplifying but I'm so tired of the results of overcomplicating!

:clap:

"So here is my suggestion. I think we ought to agree together than young men ought to be expected to find somebody cute and godly by their 23rd birthday."

Sure, godly is fine, but don't forget the "cute" part. In fact, I think I'll put that female responsibility before "godly."

"That should be the baseline social expectation, and we will reluctantly make exceptions on a case-by-case basis as they arise."

Gee, thanks. 

9 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Aw thanks!  

MJB, your elegant summation of the basic message embedded in all major religions is far classier than my own:

Spoiler

Don't be a dick.

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

"So here is my suggestion. I think we ought to agree together than young men ought to be expected to find somebody cute and godly by their 23rd birthday."

Sure, godly is fine, but don't forget the "cute" part. In fact, I think I'll put that female responsibility before "godly."

"That should be the baseline social expectation, and we will reluctantly make exceptions on a case-by-case basis as they arise."

Gee, thanks. 

Assuming she's an equivalent 23-year-old woman, how insulting to call her cute! Makes me cringe when people use that word about adults.

Welp, after a glass of wine last night & two cups of coffee this morning I still don't understand WTF is up with FV.

I do know this, however: Doug Wilson only says and does what will benefit Doug Wilson, theology or not, real life or not. End of story.

2 minutes ago, moodygirl86 said:

Assuming she's an equivalent 23-year-old woman, how insulting to call her cute! Makes me cringe when people use that word about adults.

Women are never adults in CREC world. They are waifs, or bulldykes, or their husband's glory, or gardens to be planted, but not simple grownup humans. Except of course when they are 14 and look older, like Natalie Greenfield. Then they are equal sinners in matters of sex.

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

I do know this, however: Doug Wilson only says and does what will benefit Doug Wilson, theology or not, real life or not. End of story.

13 hours ago, paganbaby said:

Honestly, I think he was just wanted more attention. But then, that's my impression of most of what I've read from him. The rest is victim-blaming and the other nastiness he spews when trying to justify his coddling of pedophiles and other heinous acts.

1 hour ago, older than allosaurs said:

Women are never adults in CREC world. They are waifs, or bulldykes, or their husband's glory, or gardens to be planted, but not simple grownup humans. Except of course when they are 14 and look older, like Natalie Greenfield. Then they are equal sinners in matters of sex.

Y'all are nailing Mr. Wilson, although I don't think even a book-length post would cover all of his malfeasance, plagiarism, meanness, Machiavellian moves, and general a**holery of  thought, word and deed. 

I tried, I couldn't figure out the FV. The "just tuning in" post used to many acronyms and alphabet soup and words that must have special meaning for those on the inside. I have friends in the CREC, and I never know what they are talking about either. 

Puritan Board comments, oh my!

“One of the things that I find most unappealing about Doug Wilson is his constant desire to appear clever in everything he writes. He cannot simply write a heartfelt and serious retraction. It has to come across as clever - for someone to applaud the way he turns a phrase.”

“Does anyone else get infuriated reading this man's writings?... Forget the content for a minute... he simply dances around the point for what had to be like, 50 paragraphs!... And he's barely said anything!!!”

“Doug has a long history of being slippery and duplicitous…”

“He is still Pope of his non-denomination… He is still unordained… The very structure of the CREC makes challenging DW impossible.”

http://www.puritanboard.com/threads/wilson-federal-vision-no-more.91958/

I started reading it, and then i had to stop, not because I didn't intend on reading it all, but because i kept hearing charlie browns mom's voice in my head. And then I decided to take the tldr route.......womp womp  get married by 23 womp womp.... 

2 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Looks like Voddie Baucham has found himself a new but unimproved Doug: 

What did Idaho do to deserve these moral cretins?

4 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

What did Idaho do to deserve these moral cretins?

20170106_044611.jpg

Nah, even that wouldn't be bad enough to deserve these guys.

Spoiler

I was at a high school football game back then and Mr. Potato Head came and passed out bumper stickers and campaign buttons. "Mr. Potato Head for Mayor!" I still have my button somewhere.:)

The awesome moscowid.net has posted some thoughts on Doug's latest move, and lays out some history about how Federal Vision came to be, what Doug may be up to and, well, here's something to whet your appetite and to help you understand why it's so hard to grab ahold of the greased pig that is the Federal Vision because maybe they don't want you to know exactly what it is anyway. 

Four days ago Pastor Doug Wilson of Christ Church in Moscow, Idaho, officially divorced himself from the name Federal Vision (FV), which is the doctrinal faction he established in 2002. He did not separate himself from any specific tenet of the Federal Vision, only from the name:

I have decided, after mulling over it for some years now, to discontinue identifying myself with what has come to be called the federal vision.

That Mr. Wilson split with the name alone suggests he may be positioning himself for another move.

Federal Vision Defined

The Federal Vision does not have an exact definition because, as the name says, it encompasses a vision. Further, those who see it have never unanimously agreed on what they actually perceive. In “AD 2007” the chief visionaries issued A Joint Federal Vision Profession; the introduction made clear their intent to obfuscate: 

We have no desire to present a “moving target,” but we do want to be teachable, willing to stand corrected, or to refine our formulations as critics point out ambiguities, confusions, or errors. We therefore ask others to accept that the following represents our honest convictions at this stage of the conversation. This statement is therefore not an attempt at evasion or trickery, but simply represents a desire to be as clear as we can be, given our circumstances. (A Joint Federal Vision Profession, page 1)

The Federal Vision is a “moving target” because its advocates redefine their terms (they move definitions), sometimes in mid-sentence. They do this because they refuse to admit in plain English what they actually believe: The Federal Vision affirms baptismal union with Christ, including baptismal regeneration, while simultaneously affirming salvation by works, or “keeping covenant.” Get in by baptism, stay in through works. Federal Visionists will not admit this because it puts them outside the pale of Protestantism, if not Christianity. Hence they resort to “evasion or trickery,” denials notwithstanding.

Full text is here: http://www.moscowid.net/2017/01/21/the-federal-division-part-1/

ETA: What the heck is Voddie Baucham up to these days?  I thought he had decamped to Africa to inflict his God fearing crap and particularly vicious brand of child rearing on unsuspecting people. 

ETA ETA: Never mind, I just found his web site.  He'll be preaching at Trinity Reformed Church in Moscow, ID on Jan 26th, (a Thursday ?!).  There is still a presence in Lusaka, Zambia 

3 hours ago, Howl said:

ETA: What the heck is Voddie Baucham up to these days?  I thought he had decamped to Africa to inflict his God fearing crap and particularly vicious brand of child rearing on unsuspecting people. 

ETA ETA: Never mind, I just found his web site.  He'll be preaching at Trinity Reformed Church in Moscow, ID on Jan 26th, (a Thursday ?!).  There is still a presence in Lusaka, Zambia 

He flies back and forth constantly, and I can't imagine he brings his wife and kids with him. I mean, really-- leaving them there alone so often, especially considering that his wife is not in the best of health? How is that living up to his publicly proclaimed definition of what a good husband is? 

6 hours ago, Howl said:

Many thanks.  Now I know I'm not supposed to understand it I feel so much better.

Yes, @DomWackTroll, Voddie seems to spend most of his time back in the US fundraising for African Christian "University."  The family has a very posh house in Lusaka and seems to live in the lap of luxury though.

I follow ACU on and off.  They have a website that is only updated every 6 months and a FB page:  https://www.facebook.com/African-Christian-University-108426315848593/ 

• ACU built a spiffy new building - it fell down.
  • They grifted computers - they got stolen.
  • There were problems with the original site - they have to move the campus.

Clearly Satan is at work.

38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

The family has a very posh house in Lusaka and seems to live in the lap of luxury though.

Interesting. Voddie never posts any pics of the house on his FB page. Guess you just told me why. 

10 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

20170106_044611.jpg

Nah, even that wouldn't be bad enough to deserve these guys.

Reveal hidden contents

I was at a high school football game back then and Mr. Potato Head came and passed out bumper stickers and campaign buttons. "Mr. Potato Head for Mayor!" I still have my button somewhere.:)

Only four?

4 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Interesting. Voddie never posts any pics of the house on his FB page. Guess you just told me why. 

For personal updates, you can check his monthly begging and grifting prayer updates.

For somewhat timely updates, his Instagram feed is public, for now anyway.

You guys are right, though, about his frequent travel, leaving Brigid with the kids. They have at least one "nanny" or handmaiden or whatever they call  her -- for a while if not now it was the 20-something daughter of an ACU colleague.

On Sun Jan 22 2017 at 11:51 AM, onekidanddone said:

Only four?

I wasn't old enough to vote yet. :my_biggrin:

Archived