IGNORED

The Putman Family (cult) on TLC

ChickenettiLuvr

Half an hour later and I still can't wrap my head around this family. How do they think this is normal? That cashier woman was right, a cult. 

• Upvote 8

What fresh hell is this Putman family coming on after the Duggars?  10 adults and 15 kids in one house... with only 2 bathrooms??  Did anyone watch it? Sounds awful.

• Upvote 10

So I'm guessing this thing's a trial to see if they've found a replacement for the Duggars? Yikes.

22 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

10 adults and 15 kids in one house... with only 2 bathrooms??

Just the thought of that alone... nope! Even college dorms have better people:bathroom ratios than that!

46 minutes ago, MarblesMom said:

How freakishly weird is it?!  Like "someone died" because they want to move closer to work?!

The word "enmeshed" comes to mind... and here I was thinking it was silly how some people I know can't handle living a few towns apart from the rest of their family members.

• Upvote 20
  • Love 1

So much WTFery with this show I don't even know where to start.

--The dad and mom (especially the dad) are in charge now.  I wonder what will happen after they pass.  Would one brother become the defacto leader or would they split it?  What happens when all the grandkids start wanting to marry?  Do they have to stay there too?

--The endless hugging and kissing.  I could see saying goodbye to your spouse and kids, and maybe the parents.  But it seemed like they have to hug and kiss every family member before doing anything.  They did it when they all got up in the morning and before the menfolk went off to work.

--It might be too late, but that dad needs some therapy.  I felt for him after he told his life story and I kind of understand why his family is like that.  I get the sense that he thinks he is being abandoned again if someone leaves.  So no one is allowed to leave.

--If they are at the store that much or need that big of a trip, just a few should go and the rest stay home.  Having to have x number of extra carts to plop kids into just made no sense to me.  Even the Duggars left some kids home.  Your family will not fall apart during a grocery run.

--Blair and her husband needing to ask permission to move was just strange (the husband changing his name even stranger).  I think they should've been more "this is what were doing temporarily and we'll be back."  It did seem like they would be back, although at the very end, Jamie said he couldn't know what would happen.  #free Jamie?

--It seems like it all started when the older son got married and just moved in his wife.  I know some people live w/their parents for awhile to save up for a home.  But if the son wasn't prepared (or didn't have a plan to get prepared) then he had no business getting married.

--It seems like they all got married very young.  They didn't touch on their religion (other than the dad saying he would pray on it) so I wonder what their religion/denomination is.

--All that laundry.  I don't even know how they keep all of their clothes separate, especially with so many little kids.

--And I actually laughed at the thought of JimBob Duggar being pee green with envy because Dad Putnam (I forget his name) has so much more control over his family.  They even all share a bank account.  They said they all have cards linked to the main account w/a limit and if they need to spend more, they have to ask.

--And lastly, the third brother Blake seemed like he has some issues boiling below the surface.  He almost seemed like more of an inlaw w/his wife being the actual daughter instead of the reverse. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Upvote 31
  • Love 1

Have just read this thread. Have never heard of the family. Am I being really suspicious here but is there a teeniest, tiniest possibility that the whole thing has been manufactured by TLC? Have TLC found a family willing to live like this especially for the programme and a lot of $$$$?

By paying a family ( obviously a tad odd to begin with) lots of $$$$ TLC can ensure no Joshly, Honey Boo Boo or Willis type scandals are going to surface.

Edited by Gobsmacked
Spell
  • Upvote 6

TLC should just stick with the Busbys and the couple with three little people kids (sorry, its late and I'm tired). Dad's a salesman? Mom stays home with the twin girls and I think the little boy's name is Jack..

Instead of another huge weirdo family, I rather see a more normal size family overcoming challenges-Are you reading this TLC?!

• Upvote 15

Why do I get the feeling this show is being put out there to normalize the duggars even more? "Oh if you think the duggars are bad what about that freakshow family of 25 living dorm style with two bathrooms?" I can hear it now....

• Upvote 19

54 minutes ago, 19Kittens said:

Why do I get the feeling this show is being put out there to normalize the duggars even more? "Oh if you think the duggars are bad what about that freakshow family of 25 living dorm style with two bathrooms?" I can hear it now....

That's why is manufactured on purpose. TLC will have lawyers writing contracts so tight that the family will utter not one word  as long as the $$$$ are being paid. 

• Upvote 7

Ha. Love the title. My mom and I stumbled across this show and at the end all I could say was "if you have to explicitly say on your show several times that you're not a cult, I'm going to just go ahead and assume you're a cult."

Did anyone else catch the weird conversation with one of the wives about multi-tasking? Something about how the mother-in-law told her if you can fold laundry and have sex at the same time, you're multi-tasking. And a few months later she came down the stairs and said "I multi-tasked!" TMFI, dude. It was very odd and I was only half paying attention so it's possible I misheard part of the conversation but these people really need some boundaries. And also at their big family meetings, my mom and I thought  they need better organization. Like, they could use a talking stick. If you're not holding the stick you stfu until you are, so that everyone can finish a thought without being talked over, even the clearly unpopular brother.

• Upvote 24

1 hour ago, Honeysuckle said:

Ha. Love the title. My mom and I stumbled across this show and at the end all I could say was "if you have to explicitly say on your show several times that you're not a cult, I'm going to just go ahead and assume you're a cult."

Did anyone else catch the weird conversation with one of the wives about multi-tasking? Something about how the mother-in-law told her if you can fold laundry and have sex at the same time, you're multi-tasking. And a few months later she came down the stairs and said "I multi-tasked!" TMFI, dude. It was very odd and I was only half paying attention so it's possible I misheard part of the conversation but these people really need some boundaries. And also at their big family meetings, my mom and I thought  they need better organization. Like, they could use a talking stick. If you're not holding the stick you stfu until you are, so that everyone can finish a thought without being talked over, even the clearly unpopular brother.

Where did they ever find spouses to go along with this? That sharing one bank account and the children in the dorm screams "cult" to me!

• Upvote 26
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JeanieCat said:

If even half the comments are true, TLC is in big trouble. Karma's a bitch!

No kidding! Yeesh! Does TLC vet the people they put on TV at all?

Multiple people are saying Pa Putnam beats everyone in that house. One person even said he killed a neighbor's cat that wandered through the yard. It seems like he might have a criminal record as well, which means this show probably wont be on long (Dog willing :my_rolleyes:)

Edited by IreneIssh
  • Upvote 9

13 hours ago, hollywood said:

Meet the Putmans....What the everliving hell

I gotta put it out there that this show is being filmed like an hour away from me. Creepy.

• Upvote 12

I did wonder if it was all or partially manufactured by tlc but idk they definitely act incredibly enmeshed and very off. The constant pda was bizarre. I cant imagine all these adults willingly going along with this in the absence of some kind of very explicit abuse. Im very disturbed. 

Though, i can DEFINITELY see the Arndts going this direction IF any of them ever marry. So i guess it could be real. 

• Upvote 12

Two minutes in and I was already way more uncomfortable than with the Duggers. The whole bank account sharing thing screams cult. And one son and son in law are doctors??? Now that this is public how will it affect their careers? Will social workers be contacting them via the hospital? 

There has to be some weirdnesses going on in that house. Th all need therapy.  I think I need therapy after watching that. Seriously, more freaked out than after watching 50 shades of grey. 

And I agree with the grocery shopping comments, why not send 4 adults and leave the rest home to watch the kids? Why make such a spectacle of yourselves? 

• Upvote 19

14 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

--All that laundry.  I don't even know how they keep all of their clothes separate, especially with so many little kids.

They DON'T! 

Okay, I just google this family as I couldn't get the TLC preview to load on my computer and I wanted to find out more.

I came across THIS article that talks about their laundry situation.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2017/01/michigan_family_tlc_reality_sh.html

"Proof of that many clothes is near the washing machine. Three large baskets are filled with paired whites, darks and colored socks. In the morning, everyone from the kids to the adults go to the sock bin and find a pair that fits them for the day.

"There have been times where I put the sock on and it's way too small, so it's clearly for one of the girls in the house, but I go along with it anyways," said Billy Putman."

Apparently all the socks just go into baskets in the laundry room, and THEY ALL SHARE SOCKS!!! OMG...I can't even! Their house looks like a complete disaster...and we snark on Jessa for her floordrobe, which pales in comparison what's going on here! :tw_confounded:

:brainbleach:

• Upvote 13

3 minutes ago, evolutionbaby said:

They DON'T! 

Okay, I just google this family as I couldn't get the TLC preview to load on my computer and I wanted to find out more.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bay-city/index.ssf/2017/01/michigan_family_tlc_reality_sh.html

Apparently all the socks just go into baskets in the laundry room, and THEY ALL SHARE SOCKS!!! OMG...I can't even! Their house looks like a complete disaster...and we snark on Jessa for her floordrobe, which pales in comparison what's going on here! :tw_confounded:

They share socks? Do they share underwear too? This family just gets weirder. 

• Upvote 10

14 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

http://waitwith.us/meet-the-putmans-season-1-9143/

Another promotional article, but the comments are very interesting.  Based on those, it seems like the family, especially the dad, isn't well liked.

The Pro-family posts on there sound SO FAKE. "I'm their best friend. They tell me everything and I LOVE THEM. SUCH GREAT PEOPLE."  "The Putnams are such wonderful people. Can't wait for America to meet them! More families in America need to see how much of role models they are!"

29 minutes ago, evolutionbaby said:

The part that worried me from that article was not that they shared socks but that THE GIRLS WAKE UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT MULTIPLE TIMES TO SWAP OUT LAUNDRY.

My brother, mom, sister, and I all shared socks when I was in high school. It was never weird. My mom just got tired to trying to figure out whose white, low-cut sock was whose. I eventually got tired of it and bought ones with colored rims because my feet are much smaller and all my socks were stretched out. But, we all did have separate undies.

• Upvote 22

From what I gather (can I have missed something?) this family isn't poor and doesn't have any particular insight to offer humanity.  Why are they on TV?  Does the American public need additional exposure to large, dysfunctional families with potty mouths?

I just don't see the appeal at all.  They're excellent snarking material, though.

• Upvote 15

Anyone think they're trying to debut this as a modern version of the Duggars? I hope they make this reason wreck into a series because I'm Satan.

Edited by Coconut Flan
Removed tapatalk signature.
  • Upvote 3
  • Love 1

The Putnam family is one hot mess.  They are obviously affluent, and their house is large, yet 25 people are sharing two full bathrooms.  It seems like all four adult kids have always lived with their parents.

Hopefully TLC will turn the show into a series because I'll be watching for sure.  I always wonder where they find these freaks.

• Upvote 5