IGNORED

The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu

MargaretElliott

Spoiler

The scene was a man rabidly licking the stump of woman missing a hand. It was awful.

This is the scene I was referring to, it's pretty gross.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

59 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:
  Hide contents

The scene was a man rabidly licking the stump of woman missing a hand. It was awful.

This is the scene I was referring to, it's pretty gross.

Agreed. But the, shall we say anatomic anomaly, fits with what we've already been told of what happens to handmaids, indicating that she was a 'failed' handmaid. Now the man's actions...well, a lot could be read into that! 

• Upvote 6

I liked the way last week's episode deftly pointed out how men became Commanders and Guardians. Wealthy, politically connected men with a conservative religious streak recruit disaffected young men who can't find jobs. I can see this happening, and have no doubt it's happened here already.

• Upvote 8

Just re-read the book. I hope the Hulu series continues beyond where the book ended.

We haven't seen any econowives and unwomen, don't think. No shortage of unflattering categories for women in Gilead, all related to marital or reproductive status. Women have no inherent value as human beings in this world. Sounds kinda familiar.

I would have thought DNA testing would have been required to make sure that no unauthorized man impregnated a handmaid. I'm guessing that the necessary equipment and materials was no longer available.

• Upvote 2

Re the most recent episode, The Bridge:  

Spoiler

I really, REALLY wanted to slap the Commander when he said Moira was 'a degenerate.'  He brought June back, clearly planning either a threesome or watching the two women get it on, and SHE'S a degenerate??!  And as if we needed it clarified, the 'nice' things he does for June are obviously not primarily for her benefit, but so he can feel good about himself for treating her like a favored pet-a pet he can screw anytime he wants, at least anytime he can avoid getting caught by Serena.  

And in case there's any question whatsoever:  No, Moira is not at all a degenerate, she's a decent human being trapped in an impossible situation, doing what she must to survive.  

Edited by delphinium65
  • Upvote 7

The Commanders are all degenerates, which is why they even have that club. Total hypocrites, just like so many self-righteous fundies today.

He gets his though, in the book. Those types eat their own.

• Upvote 8

Does anyone else here think that Commander Waterford looks something like Steven Anderson, the "Pissing Preacher"?

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Hane said:

Does anyone else here think that Commander Waterford looks something like Steven Anderson, the "Pissing Preacher"?

I thought it too. 

They are both ugly ugly human beings. 

• Upvote 4

I just got done watching episodes 5-10 today. Very good and I'm curious to see what happens in season 2. I fucking hate Serena Joy and for some reason she pisses me off more than Aunt Lydia.

WOW! The last episode of the season was so powerful, and true to the book. It ended where the book ended, so it will be interesting to see where season 2 goes.

Serena Joy is a sadist in the mold of slaveowner wives, who would abuse the black female slaves her husband forced himself on (see 12 years a slave for a horrible example of this). What sense does it make to hold these victimized women responsible for something they had no choice in? Crazy, crazy system, slavery and Gilead. If Offred could have got her hands around Serena Joy's neck, she would have killed her after threatening her child like she did. 

Serena Joy knows Gilead is fucked up and probably regrets that she actively worked to bring it about.

The handmaid revolt was awesome. Janine is crazy, anybody could see that, and stoning, I mean really? What a backwards ass society.

Moira getting to Canada, and meeting Offreds husband was a touching scene. I hope the former Offred gets to join them, as Nick arranged for her to escape.

Looking forward to the next season.

I could see Lori Anderson being Serena Joy.

• Upvote 6

I just reread the epilogue of the novel, and it gives the impression that Gilead didn't last very long. I'm interested in seeing how it crumbles.

An interesting minor detail: In an article about the costumes, a producer or designer said that higher-ranked Commanders and wives wear darker colors. In the scene where June is taken to see her daughter, the woman who is now Hannah's adoptive mother is wearing a darker shade of blue/green than Serena Joy is.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

My post count is about to get a lot higher since I found this thread.  I just binge watched the entire season over a two day period. Wow.  So much to absorb and so many questions...I'm planning to read the book now as well. 

• Upvote 2

My post count is about to get a lot higher since I found this thread.  I just binge watched the entire season over a two day period. Wow.  So much to absorb and so many questions...I'm planning to read the book now as well. 

Yikes. This show is not an easy marathon. I can’t watch more than three at a time, max. It’s so plausible that it’s terrifying!
  • Upvote 4

When I was in my final year secondary school (UK term for high school) I had to do a thesis for English literature, which had to be a comparison of 2 works with certain criteria. I badly wanted to do 'Nineteen Eighty Four' and the criteria related to time periods so I asked a question on Yahoo! Answers and someone suggested 'The Handmaid's Tale'. (You do get sensible answers on that site sometimes!) 

I became quite a fan of that book as a result and have been ever since. 

On 6/13/2017 at 3:59 AM, SilverBeach said:

The Commanders are all degenerates, which is why they even have that club. Total hypocrites, just like so many self-righteous fundies today.

My dad worked in the theocracy Saudi Arabia for a few months. He told me a lot of the people including clerics go off to Bahrain and other Gulf countries to drink, gamble etc. I assume a lot of them are also ordinary Saudis desperate for a drink who find the banning of alcohol unfair though too!

• Upvote 2

I read the book and just finished the series, and wow, I'm still just blown away by it. I felt that it was so powerful and I equally loved the book and show. I usually watch the duggars or Bates and I went to watch an episode after and just couldn't. I know all the horrible things these people believe in and have for a long time, but I was always able to stomach their shows. After finishing the handmaids tale, though, I thought about how these people would probably be cool with 90% of that society. I bet if the girls in that family were shown the show they would find most of it to be relatable. I don't know, maybe I'm being too extreme, but I find the climate of our country to be quite scary right now and the book/show was spot-on, even though it was written in the 80s. 

• Upvote 3

Mister destiny and I were talking about The Activist Mommy and the show (he watched bits and pieces with me) yesterday, and I was joking that if the book ever happened, we needed to get the fuck out while the getting was good. I’ve talked some mad mad shit about fundies and republicans and the religious right on FJ, and fundies know about us, so I feel like I would be one of their favourite targets! No thanks @ being sent to the colonies!

• Upvote 1

We have just been able to watch the series on SBS on demand (if any Aussies don't know about it) and so have stayed far away from this thread until it was available for me to watch.

Loved it. I read the book so many years ago so can't really remember how they have changed it when adapting it to TV. I shall have to dig it out of a box. 

I do remember thinking when I was reading it that I was very glad it wasn't happening here in Australia. No county we can escape to easily on foot...lol.. Although if needed we could probably hide rather easily in the outback / bush for quite some time. 

I was very impressed by the acting, especially Elisabeth Moss and as others have mentioned the cinematography was magnificent.  

Bring on Season 2

• Upvote 2

• 6 months later...

I hope it’s okay that I bump this old thread ... the season 2 trailer has been released.

The link contains some season 1 spoilers, and obviously information about season2, so do not click unless you want to know more.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.elle.com.au/amp/culture/the-handmaids-tale-season-2-trailer-australian-premiere-date-15556

Once again I’m filled with a mix of excitement and anger. Excitement because it’s going to be brilliant. Anger because it won’t be released for a looooong time for Australians. 

And there’s a bit of embarrassment in there for me too. Elisabeth Moss reminds me (physically only - facial features) of TW. I know it’s silly, but she does. Thankfully it doesn’t ruin it for me ;)

Edited by adidas
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I can't WAIT. I love this show, as much as I hate this show. It's so great, and so rage inducing. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I didn't realize it was tomorrow! I can't wait either. Not a single person in my real life cares about this show. I find it equal parts terrifying and fascinating. 

That trailer, the work on the show is done so well.

I think I'll watch the last two episodes from season 1 now. 

So glad the thread was bumped!

I just looked at my app. We get two new episodes tomorrow. #winning

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

I've watched the last two today and I'm ready now. I'd forgotten how gross it can be. "Go to them like an open flower" the aunt said to Janine as she displayed fear and confusion being sent to the Daniels. 

The Commander talking about "rinsing" off (double gross cause of the PP comparison), and my favorite fundy conversation, the commander with his wife blaming her for any potential sin of his and reminding her she reports to him. Ugh. It's so real. 

Just finished the first two episodes! Wow, they really were well-shot and I loved all of the information and parallel narrative of Ofglen/June.

I just cried and cried as they did Ofglen’s backstory. The way the government just casually said that they were no longer considered a family! That they were unlawful! That is my worst nightmare for my wife and I!

Also, the bit with Ofglen insisting on still teaching college rather than hiding in the research labs got to me. The choice of hiding vs. being out and being a target. 

And the cameos of the ACLU and lawyers in the airport scenes. That has already happened with the Muslim ban, and I offered some help. But if I were in danger due to an administration in that immediate way,  would I stay to protect others, or run?

Unfortunately, I am nowhere near as brave as any of these characters. I realized this in my post-election panic. Every single idea I had in case things really went south in terms of hate crimes or my rights involved running. If I were in that show, I would probably be cooling my heels in Europe and feeling very guilty. But, I’d be alive.

(Yes, I actually do have a “in case of WW3/dictatorship” plan, and an agreement with my friends. They are Jewish and atheist, and we are...well, queer. We’d protect and hide them, probably send to Canada via Lake Superior since my family sails, if things went more the way of Hitler, and they will get us out of the country to some relatives in Europe, commercial or private plane, if it ever seems likely that we won’t be able to be a legal family in the US any more).

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1